Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Riding from San Francisco to Santa Barbara next week...

1. 10-11-2012 01:08 AM #1
      Never done anything like this, some guys from work and I are doing the ride to help raise money for a memorial to a helicopter crew we lost this past year. Anyway I've done a bunch of century rides, and been riding a lot in preparation for this. I feel pretty good but a little nervous, we will be covering roughly 400 miles in 5 days, so about 80 miles/day on average. Anyone got any tips or anything? We're camping during the ride and we have a support vehicle too. Already got my list of stuff to bring but any suggestions are welcome. Can't wait to do this and I'll be sure to post up some pictures after the ride!

Vehicles
      German/American/French
      10-11-2012 01:35 AM #2
      The only reasonable advise I can give you is to pace yourself over those 4 days. The hardest part (for me at least) is to resist from going too fast. Even if you think you're not going too fast, your legs will catch up with you on day 3.

Sounds like a great ride, enjoy and try to take as many pics as you can.
      The gloves are off, the wisdom teeth are out
      What you on about ?

Vehicles
      List your car(s) owned here
      10-13-2012 05:22 PM #3
      I really want to do this myself, interested to hear your updates. I have no advice but wonder if you will get a good enough sleep to keep up with the pace if you are camping.
      I'm just a regular Joe, with a regular job. I'm your average white, suburbanite slob.

You could not pay me enough to own another Ford or another hybrid ever again. http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/203834.png

4. Member
      10-14-2012 06:56 PM #4
      Is this the MS ride?

10-17-2012 02:30 PM #5
      hope you are enjoying the ride, we are having a heatwave down in SB this week!

6. 10-22-2012 03:13 AM #6
      Okay, finished the ride on Friday afternoon at about 3:15 PM. It was a BLAST, seriously one of the best thing's I've ever done. Felt pretty good throughout the entire ride, probably should have paid more attention to diet (brought recovery drinks, etc) though. I had a ton of Hammer Gels and Cliff Shot-Blocks, and drank lots and lots of water. Just wished I brought a recovery drink of some sort. Day 1 and 2 my right IT band was pretty tender but I used a foam roller and it went away. Proud to say that I didn't get a single flat tire on the entire ride, that really surprised me! Good weather the entire time too. How about some pictures.

Day 1: San Francisco to Santa Cruz. 95ish miles total.

Start:

Flat tire #4 for the group

Camp for the night in Santa Cruz

Watching the sunset

Day 2: Santa Cruz to Monterey. 45ish miles. We rode to the Coast Guard station in Monterey and they hosted us for the night.

The guys from my unit flew down to say "hi" in Santa Cruz

Strawberry Fields outside Watsonville, CA

Day 3: Monterey to Big Sur. 65ish Miles. Some good climbs today, but by far the best scenery.

Leaving the CG Station in Monterey:

17 Mile Drive

Another Flat for us

One of our Senior Chief's rode his motorcycle to help us out for the 400 mile trek, here he is helping us with the flat:

We saw the meteor that night from camp in Big Sur, it was pretty amazing. Never seen anything like it in my life.

Day 4: Big Sur to Morro Bay. 65ish miles again, also some decent climbing. The Coast Guard station in Morro Bay hooked us up and hosted us as well.

Waking up in Big Sur

My 09 Giant Defy Alliance, I'm ready to upgrade but I've ridden this bike all over the place!

Big Sur

Elephant Seals

Riding through a bad part of PCH we were on gravel, well my friend was riding along and we're not sure how this happened but his rear derailleur snapped and was forced into his rear wheel.

Morro Rock

We made it!
      [IMG][/IMG]

Day 5: Morro Bay to Santa Barbara. 110ish miles. Good ride today, also the final day. We started early 0630, and we were done by 1500. The finish was uneventful but it felt good to know what we had all accomplished.

All in all an incredible experience. Met some interesting people along the way on similar journeys and I feel like a much more capable rider now. I could have kept going if I had the time/means. Anyway, if you guys have any questions, let me know. Hope you enjoyed the pictures!

Vehicles
      German/American/French
      10-22-2012 07:27 AM #7
      Congratulations! Looks like a great ride and the scenery is stunning!!!

Did you log any of the days on Strava ? I am curious about the map and elevation profiles.
      The gloves are off, the wisdom teeth are out
      What you on about ?

8. 10-22-2012 12:42 PM #8
      I didn't log any of the days in Strava (didn't want to use my phone and I don't have a Garmin on my bike...yet) some of the guys did, I'll get you the details!

Vehicles
      92 Cab, 76 Rabbit, 07 Rabbit
      10-22-2012 01:51 PM #9
      Awesome ride!

10. 11-01-2012 10:38 AM #10
      Wow simply wow...congrats what an accomplishment. Looks totally fun and enjoyable. Nice bike by the way..

Oh and thanks for the pictures too..

11. Member
      Vehicles
      Slowpoke TDI
      11-03-2012 01:44 AM #11
      Congrats on the ride! and Greetings from San Luis Obispo!
      Instagram: @dongalong

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2002 GT2871 TT Q coupe, 1969 RS Camaro
      11-03-2012 02:52 PM #12
      Great pictures. These are the rides you remember your whole life!
      In '91 I rode to Idaho w/ just one friend and we still talk about it