Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Possibly stupid question: where did all the H2s go?

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Gallardo Spyder, 2001 Miata LS, 2006 Corvette-Sold, 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 650R (RIP)
      10-11-2012 04:58 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by 484 View Post
      That explains so much. I thought maybe foreign business owners (laundromats, chinese restaurants, pack-and-ship stores, asian-mom-n-pop anything, really) thought they were stereotypical american things, and made good advertising vehicles or helped them appeal to murricans or something.

Tax loophole makes WAY more sense.
      It explains why they were purchased but it doesn't explain why you don't see them anymore. They would still be out there, even if they are on their 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc. owner.

The only explanation that makes sense is that a lot of them have been shipped overseas
      "When you need to get somewhere quickly, I'd rather get there the fastest I can, looking the best I can"-Rutledge Wood

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 Jetta 1.8T
      10-11-2012 04:58 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by justanotherusername View Post
      Yeah, the H1 is an entirely different animal though. It's a military vehicle converted to civilian use. The H2 is made to resemble a military vehicle but has none of the hardware of the original.

I'd love to have an H1.
      I wouldn't want one, but I had to talk to someone who can afford to own it and drives it around with his kids
      All the war-propaganda, all the screaming and lies and hatred, comes invariably from people who are not fighting.

3. 10-11-2012 05:00 PM #38
      I met a guy two weeks ago that was... COLLECTING them. Yes, he bought 4 H2's to collect and put away.
      No Longer : -=Camry Driver=- -=Camry Driver=- -=Camry Driver=- -=Camry Driver=- -=Camry Driver=- -=Camry Driver=- -=Camry Driver=- -=Camry Driver=- -=Camry Driver=- -=Camry Driver=-

Vehicles
      '07 Mazda 3s GT, '13 Subaru Impreza Sport, KHS Flite 100
      10-11-2012 05:01 PM #39
      How many are on Manheim right now? I see the occasional one but were they even very good vehicles?

There are 213 for sale across the Country on Autotrader.ca
      Quote Originally Posted by MK420TH92 View Post
      Now b/c of this im fkn paranoid about mines. For for theifs out there u better watch out... cuz im nockturnal....i dont go to sleep till 4am either.... and i bought a machette a ago... if i see u near my car im running out there and ima chop ur ass up.... real shiitt
      http://www.adventureseekers.co
      We are giants, with stars at our fingertips

5. Member
      Vehicles
      '92 Jetta GLI, '12 Jetta GLI
      10-11-2012 05:02 PM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by Subwoofers View Post
      I met a guy two weeks ago that was... COLLECTING them. Yes, he bought 4 H2's to collect and put away.

That's essentially a fleet of quasi-schoolbuses.

Vehicles
      1979 rabbit VR6T, 2007 B6 passat 3.6L 4mo wagon (dd)
      10-11-2012 05:03 PM #41
      I used to own one. I had one of the joe gibbs models with the magna charger. This with a mild lift & 22's allowed me to see 10-11mpg max & fill ups where well over 100. I gotta say the car never broke down on me & the only repair I had to make was for a faulty air bag sensor, but the gas killed me. Would've been better with a diesel imo.
      Instagram @vw_bronson

Vehicles
      '08 135i, '00 4runner, '85 Huntsman (Toyota) RV
      10-11-2012 05:05 PM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by Subwoofers View Post
      There's a lot of speculation that I've read recently that these things are going to be very valuable in the future because they're doing to be so different from where automotive design is headed.

In 2050 a twenty something year old car enthusiast will probably be amazed that there was once a vehicle that averaged less than 10MPG.

Vehicles
      2008 BMW 550i ...................... 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
      10-11-2012 05:09 PM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by 01tj View Post
      bro-dozer
      I'm absolutely stealing this term

Vehicles
      2014 BMW Touring / Sport Line
      10-11-2012 05:09 PM #44
      There's a 98 lb blond-haired fitness chick at the gym I go to. She rolls in a original gangsta H2 accessorized with all sorts of chrome crap. She has nice air bags.

Byron

Vehicles
      Bent M
      10-11-2012 05:11 PM #45
      There are still tons of idiots who drive them out here in Vegas. The best part is that most I see, the owner's all blinged out with a gangsta lean -- like the whole cultural transition away from needlessly large vehicles somehow never occurred to them.
      I TCL.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      10-11-2012 05:16 PM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by SoSuMi View Post
      She has nice air bags.
      Aftermarket or OEM?

12. 10-11-2012 05:26 PM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by jrmcm View Post
      I'm absolutely stealing this term
      Welcome to like a million years ago man.

Vehicles
      10-11-2012 05:27 PM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by BigSkyGLI View Post
      I can accept that I'm a bit behind

Vehicles
      '13 Subaru Outback
      10-11-2012 05:29 PM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by SchnellFowVay View Post
      There are still tons of idiots who drive them out here in Vegas. The best part is that most I see, the owner's all blinged out with a gangsta lean -- like the whole cultural transition away from needlessly large vehicles somehow never occurred to them.
      The whole concept of the H2 borders on a sort of unconsciously ironic self-mockery. It's like meta-douchebaggery.
      IPRO Meat-Director and High Minister of Terror-Grilling

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Man View Post
      The Terror Grill: Part restaurant, part amusement attraction, part gladiator arena, all profit.
      ARE YOU NOT SATIATED?!?!?!

Vehicles
      2014 BMW Touring / Sport Line
      10-11-2012 05:31 PM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by Clyde Smith View Post
      Aftermarket or OEM?
      While I'm certain that she's not running stock and has had lots of aftermarket work done, the only way that I might have a chance to actually know would be to: 1) get a hair transplant, 2) flash my cash, and 3) spend about six month taking 'special vitamins' under the guidance of a large animal veterinarian.

Perhaps I should consult with Mr Armstrong

Byron

Vehicles
      Hondas, regular and extra-pricey
      10-11-2012 05:32 PM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      The whole concept of the H2 borders on a sort of unconsciously ironic self-mockery. It's like meta-douchebaggery.
      Meh, while I was never a fan, I never really understood why they were SO hated give that they were, literally, a Tahoe with a body kit. I get the whole overcompensation thing, but I also think there was a significant contingent which were compensating for their own shortcomings (lack of manliness?) by being so outspoken against something that wasn't any worse than the average Tahoe.

17. Member
      Vehicles
      10-11-2012 05:40 PM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by SoSuMi View Post
      While I'm certain that she's not running stock and has had lots of aftermarket work done, the only way that I might have a chance to actually know would be to: 1) get a hair transplant, 2) flash my cash, and 3) spend about six month taking 'special vitamins' under the guidance of a large animal veterinarian.

Perhaps I should consult with Mr Armstrong
      Noted.
      Report back with findings/photos.

Vehicles
      5.7, 5.3 & 5.0
      10-11-2012 05:50 PM #53
      When the H2 was popular, I hated them. But now that I rarely see them, I kind of want one.
      Quote Originally Posted by admirallaserbeam
      Rotary engines suck, dont get the miata
      2014 Chrysler 300S Hemi AWD | 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 4x4 | 2000 Four Winns H180LS

RareSportBikesForSale.com | CarCast | German Cars For Sale Blog

19. 10-11-2012 06:03 PM #54
      Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stack View Post
      Meh, while I was never a fan, I never really understood why they were SO hated give that they were, literally, a Tahoe with a body kit. I get the whole overcompensation thing, but I also think there was a significant contingent which were compensating for their own shortcomings (lack of manliness?) by being so outspoken against something that wasn't any worse than the average Tahoe.
      I think Hummers became seen as a symbol of excess, anti-environmentalism, etc. Too big, too wasteful, too over-the-top in terms of appearance.

Around here, Tahoes and the like are only bought by people who actually need something of that sort. Every current or past owner of a Hummer (of any type) that I know of, has been a douchebag. They just seem to attract that sort of clientele.

With gasoline costing $1.30 per litre, the market for something like this is pretty small, and few people want to buy one used. It makes sense that a lot of them have been shipped elsewhere (or scrapped). They're seldom seen on the roads around here. "Bro-dozed" trucks aren't common, either - partly $1.30 per litre, and partly because sketchy vehicles get pulled over by the cops for inspection ...

Vehicles
      2005 Legacy GT Wagon 5MT w/overnight diffs from Japan; 2013 Mazda 2 5MT
      10-11-2012 06:04 PM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by BigSkyGLI View Post
      <------LOL.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ducky TSX
      The Car Lounge likes to compare apples to llamas

Vehicles
      1997 VR6 Cabrio, RIP '98 GTI VR6
      10-11-2012 06:17 PM #56
      I can only understand about %75 of the hate that H2s get. Like the whole douchebag driving a Hummer stereotype is one I can get behind, but I don't think I'll ever support the environmental criticisms. In the end a Hummer is a Suburban. Putting the Hummer up on some pedestal as the most eco-unfriendly vehicle of all time is ridiculous. There's plenty of vehicles that get worse mileage, are more impractical, and produce more emissions, but for some reason the Hummer has taken the brunt of that argument.

Vehicles
      10-11-2012 06:25 PM #57
      Quote Originally Posted by miatafreak View Post
      I can only understand about %75 of the hate that H2s get. Like the whole douchebag driving a Hummer stereotype is one I can get behind, but I don't think I'll ever support the environmental criticisms. In the end a Hummer is a Suburban. Putting the Hummer up on some pedestal as the most eco-unfriendly vehicle of all time is ridiculous. There's plenty of vehicles that get worse mileage, are more impractical, and produce more emissions, but for some reason the Hummer has taken the brunt of that argument.
      The ghastly "LOOK AT ME" appearance is a significant contributor.

Vehicles
      8 Rings / TDI
      10-11-2012 10:17 PM #58
      PM Travy℠ |flickr | mikegilbertphotography.com | Everything you need to know | » | Scratch-It™ | Vimeo
      Quote Originally Posted by Double-V View Post
      China's main industries are spitting, noisy soup eating, and blatant copyright infringement.

24. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Fiat 500, 1984 VW Vanagon, 2007 Kia Rondo
      10-11-2012 10:20 PM #59
      When I was selling cars at Kia, many of them came through as trades to a more economical vehicle. We would just send them off to auction - nobody was going to buy one of those freaking things off our used lot. I'm amazed that I still see a few driving around out here. I talked to one guy who had one and he said the only reason he still had it was because he owed more on it than it was worth and he could get rid of it - nobody would touch it. We had one lady that traded hers in on a Soul and was happy that she got a $600/month payment. She figured she would more than make up for in gas savings

25. 10-11-2012 10:45 PM #60
      A lot of H2s have been exported to China also, kind of ironic but they are seen as status symbols here because of how expensive they are to run here (displacement tax, import tax, etc.). A used one still costs about 100k USD. H2 limos are also very popular for weddings.

10-11-2012 10:49 PM #61
      Time to search craigslist...
      Quote Originally Posted by rich! View Post
      i'd lock this thread but i have no clue how...

Vehicles
      '86 Interceptor 700, '82 Quantum Coupe
      10-11-2012 10:51 PM #62
      Quote Originally Posted by thefrese View Post
      Weirdly enough, the only Hummers I've seen recently are H1's. And I've seen three different ones, even chatted with the owner of one at Walgreens.
      Quote Originally Posted by justanotherusername View Post
      Yeah, the H1 is an entirely different animal though. It's a military vehicle converted to civilian use. The H2 is made to resemble a military vehicle but has none of the hardware of the original.

I'd love to have an H1.

There is a local landscaping company that has three cobalt blue H1 diesel hummers as the company trucks. Owner bought them new, said he intends to drive them until they fall apart. Very distinctive, and a pretty stand-up guy.
      Quote Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
      There is an area of a normal brain that lets the owner know the object works and needs to be left alone. Not all of us have it. It is like being colorblind.

Vehicles
      '55 Ford 351C, '80 Typ 17 AAZ, '88 Typ 53b 9A
      10-11-2012 10:58 PM #63
      I'm just glad you hardly ever see them anymore.
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: '55 Ford 351C, '70 TR6 262Olds, '80 Rabbit AAZ, '84 C30 350, '86 Scirocco PL, '88 Scirocco 9A, '97 Hardbody KA24E, '01 TJ 150AMC.

29. Member
      Vehicles
      Oddie.
      10-11-2012 11:09 PM #64
      I saw one today. First time in several weeks. Definitely saw more of them a few years ago, almost always driven (poorly) by hot blonde chicks.

Vehicles
      B5 2.8Q, Buell XB9S
      10-12-2012 01:21 AM #65
      Quote Originally Posted by kraut_pauer79 View Post
      Probably the same place Excursions and a lot of other nonsensical overcompensating highway beasts went, to the front lines of many car dealers' used lots.
      Excursions have a crazy following!
      Check out any Ford diesel board, and everybody wants a diesel X.
      Last big Ford SUV

Quote Originally Posted by thefrese View Post
      Weirdly enough, the only Hummers I've seen recently are H1's. And I've seen three different ones, even chatted with the owner of one at Walgreens.
      SAME HERE!
      Tucker Max of the Gays and Demokratikally Elekted Minister of Slutty Gay Whoring and Muppet Sex of the People's Independent Republik of Offtopikstan
      RIP Cosmic TDI
      Quote Originally Posted by HideYoKids View Post
      Dann is More sassy than any man with facial hair should be. It's entertaining.

31. Member
      Vehicles
      1994 Land Cruiser
      10-12-2012 04:57 AM #66
      Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye7 View Post
      When I had my TJ I saw one at the off-road park. He was stuck half in a mud hole and just flooring it. The spinning wheel found purchase and BOOM busted front axle.

He got pulled out by a Suzuki Samurai.
      So a Suzuki Samurai with all of its 120 hp pulled an H2 with a busted front axle out of a mud hole? By pulled do you mean winched? Is this an exaggeration of juxtaposition to make the H2 seem worse?

Vehicles
      '10 Prius & '05 4Runner
      10-12-2012 06:52 AM #67
      I do still see them on occasion here in VT/NH but it's much, much rarer then in their heyday.

I never "hated" them, though the only time I ever met a guy offroading one he fit all the stereotypes (swearing in front of his and everyone else's kids, hitting every obstacle like it was a mud drag, etc.) He eventually broke a tie-rod, unsurprised.

For the right price, I wouldn't be ashamed to drive one, but last time I looked they weren't cheaper then a similar year/mileage Tahoe so no need to put on the H2 costume.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson
      "I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark-haired women and breakfast food."
      Ukemafia.com

33. 10-12-2012 07:00 AM #68
      Quote Originally Posted by warren_s View Post
      Definitely saw more of them a few years ago, almost always driven (poorly) by hot blonde chicks.
      There was an absolute MILF in our town that drove a black one. I mean this lady is fine...

She had a black Merc G-wagen and I asked her why she traded for the H2. She said the Merc was in the shop 24/7 and she was in LOVE with her H2. Wish she had been in love with me instead.

Vehicles
      1983 GTI; 1993 Trek
      10-12-2012 07:08 AM #69
      I live in a rich area in NJ. I usually see a couple every day. They are all used by young douches or their moms driving them to school.

I did see an H1 blacked out, but they ruinied it by putting giant chrome wheels and chrome trim around all of the windows.

I would rather have the actual military vehicle with the canvas doors.
      //COOLWATERmotorsport
      |F0TZ3 HA5E| - The Project
      VWVolkshaus: Haus des Verrückten

Vehicles
      MkV GTI
      10-12-2012 07:15 AM #70
      There are 349 available in Germany right now: http://suchen.mobile.de/auto/hummer-...4&ambitCountry=

12.500 Euro up to 590.000 Euro...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast