VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Just test drove a Fusion 1.6/auto. WOW.

21K views 71 replies 55 participants last post by  xdre 
#1 ·
I am thoroughly impressed with this car. This may very well be the car to lure me away from the Germans. It was a short drive and a mix of city and highway, so here's my impressions:

Highlights
- Very nice power. There's not as much torque as the chipped 2.0T in my MKV GLI, but the power is still enjoyable
- Handling was EXCELLENT. I fully admit I was expecting something close to what I'm driving now, and it easily surpasses it. Steering was direct, very quick ratio and laser accurate. The car hugged the road on a tight on ramp. This car was truly fun to drive. It was a completely engaging drive.
- Interior materials were quite nice. Buttons and stalks clicked and snicked as well as the Germans. Dash design was nice, but the screen for the radio was on the small side (but is not a touchscreen). I especially liked the cloth used for seats as it wasn't mouse-fur velour or some weird textured stuff. Just clean black cloth with a slight shine and nice red stitching. The silver plastic trim is on the cheap side as are the lower door panels. Graphics in the screen between the gauges are really slick.
- Transmission shifted nicely and struck a good balance between shifting for economy and performance. I'm VERY intrigued to find out how the manual will drive (more on that in a minute)
- Engine noise, while not melodic, was well muted. With just enough noise to let you know what was going on, but it wasn't silent.
- Road noise was virtually nonexistent.
- The suspension is nicely firm yet not at all harsh.
- Seats were very comfortable, rear seat room was adequate.

If I were to fault the car at all, I'd say that the legroom in the rear was less than I expected. Probably on par with my Jetta. It wasn't tight by any means, but for the visual size of the car I was expecting more. I also felt the trunk, while wide and deep, was somewhat shallow. As mentioned above the silver trim is on the cheap side.

Overall, the car is a real winner.

The dealership experience was good, but the salesman and the owner made great efforts to try and talk me into an automatic. I was clear with them that I only buy cars with a clutch, but they thought I was crazy. I'm sure they wanted to get me to buy the car on the lot, rather than ordering/waiting on a manual model. If dealers really want to woo people away from the Germans, they need to be more receptive to those of us that want a third pedal.

Also, they stated that manual transmission models were special order only. I told them it wouldn't be a problem since I owned my car and it was paid for. I'm not sure if they were telling me the truth, or trying to push me into the model on the lot, or that they just don't want to order any manual cars to stock on the lot. And when I say they tried to talk me out of a manual, they REALLY TRIED. I was just about to tell them it's my money and that's what I want when the subject was changed.

I really really really liked the car.

See less See more
#2 ·
One of the standard car magazines confirmed that the 1.6T manual was special order only. I can't remember which one.. C&D/MT/Automobile. I bet the dealer is worried that people will order, then change their minds and leave them with a virtually unsellable manual, turbocharged domestic midsize sedan.

#5 ·
^^^This

When I ordered my F-150 they looked at how odd of truck I was ordering when setting up the deposit. Since my truck would sell rather quickly they only asked for $500 down. The last thing the dealership wants is to be stuck with an unsellable car on the lot. The longer it sits there the more it will cost them.

#4 · (Edited)
I need to see this car in person again, but it just looks bulky to my eyes. It may just be the proportions and the high beltline. Did it feel big on the road?

Edit: I think it's a generally good looking car, especially the front. But something about the large rear end with the relatively small wheels just keeps throwing me.

#13 · (Edited)
FV-QR

Nice to have competition, but I'd prefer to get the cheaper, more efficient and quicker Accord 2013 EX. I have yet to see a Fusion to beat it in a comparo.

#15 ·
Is the manual a no-cost option or does it add to or subtract from the price?

#17 ·
I'm not a fan of the styling unless I'm viewing it dead-on. Anyways, hopefully the people who dove approve of its styling don't mind the back seat. The competition has really stepped it up in back seat room/comfort.

#18 ·
Sounds not unlike my shock at the current Focus's genuine excellence. Amazing lack of road noise and genuine solidity with a comparative lack of the competitions' synthetic feel. There really is no reason to buy a "luxury" car if the Fusion is anything like the Focus, which it apparently is.

#43 ·
Not an answerable question -- "classy" is extremely subjective.

I'm just saying the fusion looks like it has an enormous ERMAHGERD mouth:

I could just as easily stick your A3's grill on her face and try to make a bad joke.
The A3's grill might actually work... better.

You are trying to hard. ;)

#24 ·
I am thoroughly impressed with this car. This may very well be the car to lure me away from the Germans.
Not to worry. Didn't the Germans have a say in the design of the new Fusion?

#26 · (Edited)
FV-QR

saw one in person the other day. damn beautiful car. nice seats; even with cloth it felt upscale. i had my kid with me or else I would have driven it and the focus ST. hopefully I'll have a chance to go back this weekend. glad to hear it drives nice. I really want to check out the manual as well, and the 2.0T.

I have a mk5 jetta and I was really impressed by the rear seat in the fusion I think it felt bigger than the jetta and numbers confirm this:

mk5 jetta:
Rear head room: 37.2 in.
Rear leg room: 35.4 in.
Rear shoulder room: 53.1 in.

2013 fusion:
Rear hip Room: 54.4 in.
Rear head room: 37.8 in.
Rear leg room: 38.3 in.
Rear shoulder room: 56.9 in.

also, trunk size is exactly the same as mkv jetta: 16 cu. ft.

OP: did you notice the numbers to unlock it that appear on the driver's door?

#45 ·
Just wait until the Transmission goes out at 28,000 miles like on my 2011 Ford Fusion. They wanted me to pay for some labor/parts there warranty is **** . Traded it in on Jetta and said Ford you can go straight too hell! Also took the wife's 2012 Ford focus and traded that also in on a jetta. Ford can keep there ****ty ass cars. < Just my own personal opinion about them. There customer service is the worst.. All the customer service will tell you is that they are sorry and to take your car to your local ****ty ford dealer to rape you.Good luck if you do buy one hope you don't have the problems i did!:beer:

#47 · (Edited)
Just wait until the Transmission goes out at 28,000 miles like on my 2011 Ford Fusion. They wanted me to pay for some labor/parts there warranty is **** . Traded it in on Jetta and said Ford you can go straight too hell! Also took the wife's 2012 Ford focus and traded that also in on a jetta. Ford can keep there ****ty ass cars. < Just my own personal opinion about them. There customer service is the worst.. All the customer service will tell you is that they are sorry and to take your car to your local ****ty ford dealer to rape you.Good luck if you do buy one hope you don't have the problems i did!

Yup making it all up as i go!

[URL="http://s1257.photobucket.com/...et.com/albums/ii516/VWDUBT/IMG_0148.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[URL="http://s1257.photobucket.com/...et.com/albums/ii516/VWDUBT/DSC00087.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.