Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: No love for the mid-wides..

1. Banned
      Vehicles
      If I told you I'd be banned from TCL
      10-12-2012 12:47 AM #1
      When it comes to snowboarding I HATE having big feet...my feet aren't even that big..11-11.5 in vans but 12 in board boots. Besides Burton anyone know of a brand running some type of shrinkage tech? I'm trying NOT to run a mid-wide for the lack of good boards. Ideal board is Captia BSBOD or Outdoor living...think I can make it work? Anyone have experience with risers?

2. Member
      10-17-2012 09:18 AM #2
      I'm lucky as I wear a 9.5 in almost all shoes/boots, so I've never had a problem.

I have two friends that have big feet (~12) and they have the same problem as you. I know that Salomon, Ride and DC all 'say' they have some kind of shrinkage tech for their boots, but the tech (and size decrease) varies for each brand.

Unfortunately (for sizing issues like yours).. the only way to find the right boot is to go out and try on everything you can. Comfort > Size, but maybe you could take a small tape measure with you to test the actual footprint for different brands of the same size boot.

As for using risers... I have no personal experience, but what's more important to you?? Having a slimmer board or having more direct contact with the board?

Personally, I'd pick up the best (read: most comfortable) boots I can and then check out different boards (Wide / Mid-Wide) - and Regular because different manufacturers all have different widths - and I'd get one that allows me to use my stance without a riser pad.

Good luck!!

- Matty

Vehicles
      Subaru OB XT, Previa LE S/C Alltrac
      10-18-2012 07:04 PM #3
      I have the same problem. Salomon with Fusion construction are the best at getting your boots down to a smaller size. Only issue is that the liners are not removable. I've used the F20 and F22 and loved them both.

Unfortunately for 2013 only one Salomon boot has Fusion and that is the F3.0 and that boot is ugly!

I tried a pair of Ride Jackson boots and I was really impressed with how they fit. Low weight and narrow. Only problem for me is I want a 7/10 stiffness minimum for all the backcountry I do.

Oh and Risers on snowboards are stupid.
      If you can't measure it, you can't understand it; if you can't understand it, you can't control it.

Vehicles
      04.5 BL GLI
      11-18-2012 04:26 PM #4
      I've since switched to skiing buit back when I did board I had a 154 Rome Machine that was a blast to ride and wide enough to handle my size 12 boots.

Just saying. Good luck finding a set of boots that work.

Vehicles
      97 gls
      12-07-2012 11:55 AM #5
      I have a size 12, im riding a forum board at 156, and i have my stance set duck foot (most park riding) , it gave me less toe overhang ( isnt much at all) and no toe drag whatsoever.

6. 02-01-2013 10:03 AM #6
      I'm size 11/12 running a 32 boot on a ride DH2 wide, and love it, but I am comfortable running a HUGE duckfoot stance.

I more frequently use my beater board though, which is an old Atomic Hatchet with a chunk out of the bottom from catching a rock while teaching some kids, lol. It has a bit more trouble with toe drag...

Vehicles
      Car that looks good from afar.
      02-06-2013 11:47 AM #7
      i have size 14 boots and haven't bought a wide snowboard in ages. my last 3 have been standard widths or possibly mid-wides, but i no longer shop for a true wide.

the amount of toe drag i have really isn't that bad. if i'm making some very aggressive toe-side turns i can purposely create toe drag, but it's never caused me too many problems.

generally what i look at most when buying a new snowboard is the waist width measurement. this will affect how much toe drag you end up with. most wide boards measure in at 260mm+, but my current board (Signal Park Flat) measures to 246mm and my previous board was 252mm. Having a decently thick sidewall on the edges will help alleviate toe drag as well since your foot will be raised higher off the snow. you can also see if it's possible to shift your binding back a bit,. this may create the potential for more heel drag, but ive found it's much harder to carve deep enough to drag your heels on a turn that your toes.
      || Mk4 Wheel Offset and Stance Picture Index || ClearWaterDubs || ClearWaterDubs@VWVortex ||
      || Please don't PM me with offset questions, post in THIS THREAD instead ||

8. 02-07-2013 11:43 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Clean PG View Post
      i have size 14 boots and haven't bought a wide snowboard in ages. my last 3 have been standard widths or possibly mid-wides, but i no longer shop for a true wide.

the amount of toe drag i have really isn't that bad. if i'm making some very aggressive toe-side turns i can purposely create toe drag, but it's never caused me too many problems.

generally what i look at most when buying a new snowboard is the waist width measurement. this will affect how much toe drag you end up with. most wide boards measure in at 260mm+, but my current board (Signal Park Flat) measures to 246mm and my previous board was 252mm. Having a decently thick sidewall on the edges will help alleviate toe drag as well since your foot will be raised higher off the snow. you can also see if it's possible to shift your binding back a bit,. this may create the potential for more heel drag, but ive found it's much harder to carve deep enough to drag your heels on a turn that your toes.
      I apparently used to have my bindings set up this way (unintentionally) and it has led me to become much more conservative on my heel edge than my toe, which is not a good thing if you really want to progress.

Vehicles
      1996 VW GTI, 2005 Forester XT
      02-18-2013 05:49 PM #9
      Love my Burton driver X boots... but I think quality goes down each year. I still have a set from ~2002, when I think Burton was hitting their stride. They seem quite a bit smaller than what I cam from (Vans... ugh)
      Shutup and drive yo cah'!