Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Results 1 to 35 of 36

    Thread: Speed won't broadcast F1 after 2012

    1. Senior Member Binary Star's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 27th, 2001
      Location
      Chicago
      Posts
      30,112
      Vehicles
      Mk5 Wabbit
      10-12-2012 01:02 PM #1
      CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) — The cable sports channel Speed will no longer air Formula One races after this season, ending a 17- year partnership.

      Fox Sports Media Group, which owns Speed, confirmed Friday that the partnership will end after this season. The network indicated it was outbid for the U.S. broadcast rights.

      "It's disappointing to learn that F1 has elected to move forward with a different media partner," Fox Sports Media Group said in a statement to The Associated Press.

      F1 was in talks with NBC Sports Group for U.S. broadcast rights, according to two people familiar with the negotiations who spoke to the AP on condition of anonymity because there was no official announcement.
      http://bigstory.ap.org/article/ap-so...1-after-season


    2. Member
      Join Date
      Jun 19th, 2002
      Location
      CLT NC
      Posts
      5,815
      Vehicles
      A3 Pilot S2K
      10-12-2012 01:14 PM #2
      There's another thread in the CL as well...bit IMHO, I'm not happy about this until there's more detail.

      Say what you like about SPEED, they had the same 3 experienced guys and provided practice, qualifying and races "live' every F1 weekend. If NBC botches this up...

    3. 10-12-2012 03:49 PM #3
      Mixed emotions about this. NBC wants to save money so I can only imagine what they'll do to cut costs.

    4. 10-12-2012 06:33 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by vdubjb View Post
      Mixed emotions about this. NBC wants to save money so I can only imagine what they'll do to cut costs.
      Yep. NBC might even go so far as to have commentators that aren't even at the races, sitting in a studio, watching the same feed and with the same access to info at the same time as the rest of us.

      Quote Originally Posted by 20aeman View Post
      No, the real enthusiast vehicle would be the RX8. It combines V12 Lamborghini gas mileage with Hyundai Genesis 4cyl. performance.

    5. Member
      Join Date
      Jun 19th, 2002
      Location
      CLT NC
      Posts
      5,815
      Vehicles
      A3 Pilot S2K
      10-12-2012 08:18 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Double-V View Post
      Yep. NBC might even go so far as to have commentators that aren't even at the races, sitting in a studio, watching the same feed and with the same access to info at the same time as the rest of us.

      Laugh all you want but are there another 3 US-based broadcasters that would do a better job?
      And what if NBC decides not to broadcast practice or qualifying?

      I have no idea what NBC has on TV Friday and Sat AM but I know it gets better ratings than F1 (everything does)...would they replace their current Fri/Sat programming for F1??

    6. Member Cabby-Blitz's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2nd, 2002
      Posts
      11,806
      Vehicles
      '03 SVT Lightning
      10-12-2012 08:55 PM #6
      I dont like the change. While I was not a big fan of Bob Varsha he was doing a fine job. I enjoyed Matchette and Hobbs a lot and Will Buxton has been doing a fantastic job.

      If anything I hope they continue in the same fashion of practice, qualifying and race day coverage. I would also enjoy seeing more streaming of events. I enjoy streaming practice because of the beautiful engine notes and lack of commentators.

    7. Member golf3racing's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 1st, 2007
      Location
      845 NY
      Posts
      1,407
      Vehicles
      08 MKV GTI, 98 GC8 Impreza
      10-12-2012 08:58 PM #7
      Since I have never time, I usually watch it online. Just like WRC

      Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

    8. Member
      Join Date
      Apr 15th, 2004
      Location
      Paxton, IL
      Posts
      4,851
      Vehicles
      '04 Bugatti wagon, '85 V65 Sabre
      10-12-2012 09:28 PM #8
      I've always liked the SPEED crew and will be sad to see them go (unless they get picked up by someone).
      A friend of mine has been to their live broadcasts in Carolina a few times and i might even get to meet them in Austin next month, since they are broadcasting from there for the GP.
      I've been watching the BBC/ SKY broadcast online for the last couple of years, which i find much more satisfying anyway.
      Good luck to them...
      Form is temporary; Class is permanent

    9. Member Mk1Racer's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 16th, 1999
      Location
      NJ
      Posts
      19,910
      Vehicles
      '01 B5.5 wagon, '81 Scirocco, '04 FXDWG and too many A1,2, & 3 cars to remember. '93 Miata for S&G
      10-13-2012 01:51 PM #9
      I haven't watched a SPEED F1 broadcast in at least 3 years. Give me BBC/SKY any day.

    10. Member GPHawaii808's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 5th, 2006
      Location
      Hawaii
      Posts
      2,058
      Vehicles
      Oldsmobile Intrigue
      10-13-2012 04:15 PM #10
      I see this a my final sign to dump cable TV. Hulu plus & Netflix combined (for the wife's TV shows) along with Torrents seems so much cheaper than so little motorsports/NHL programing available in Hawaii.
      North American Grand Prix (NAGP) - Sim Racing League
      http://northamericangp.com/index.php...tpage&Itemid=1

    11. Member CHETVW007's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 25th, 2001
      Location
      Carlisle PA
      Posts
      5,075
      Vehicles
      2002 Eurovan, 1992 Jetta GLi 16V
      10-13-2012 06:21 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Racer View Post
      I haven't watched a SPEED F1 broadcast in at least 3 years. Give me BBC/SKY any day.
      Do you watch it live on the net through bbc/sky? If so..how
      does one do that?

      I love David Hobbs...I'll miss him. The words he comes up on the fly are priceless.
      WTB Tornado Red Mk2 Jetta rear pass door
      WTB 16V mk2 Eurosport header

    12. Member
      Join Date
      Apr 15th, 2004
      Location
      Paxton, IL
      Posts
      4,851
      Vehicles
      '04 Bugatti wagon, '85 V65 Sabre
      10-14-2012 12:45 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by CHETVW007 View Post
      Do you watch it live on the net through bbc/sky? If so..how
      does one do that?
      http://www.sportsbun.com/formula1/fo...stream-online/

      I usually catch mine here, or download it the day after from sites like piratebay.org
      Form is temporary; Class is permanent


    13. Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jun 18th, 2009
      Location
      Seattle, WA
      Posts
      40
      Vehicles
      2007 Saab 9-3 2.0T
      10-15-2012 02:26 PM #14
      Hopefully they won't have a commercial break every 5 minutes like Speed does...I hate missing 3-4 laps every time.

    14. Member Mk1Racer's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 16th, 1999
      Location
      NJ
      Posts
      19,910
      Vehicles
      '01 B5.5 wagon, '81 Scirocco, '04 FXDWG and too many A1,2, & 3 cars to remember. '93 Miata for S&G
      10-15-2012 04:14 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by CHETVW007 View Post
      Do you watch it live on the net through bbc/sky? If so..how
      does one do that?

      I love David Hobbs...I'll miss him. The words he comes up on the fly are priceless.
      Torrents

      And I like David Hobbs, but I can't stand the SPEED coverage.

    15. 10-16-2012 11:40 AM #16
      The lead up shows are interesting, but the in-race coverage is too monotone for me. At least the Speed trio have distinct voices and a lively delivery. I like the less commercials of the Euro feeds though.

    16. Member mx5er's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 28th, 2001
      Location
      NY
      Posts
      13,043
      10-17-2012 07:37 AM #17
      Autosport.com is confirming that NBC got the broadcast right. But they can get b!tchy sometimes b/c they block the site and make you pay for subscription

    17. Member mx5er's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 28th, 2001
      Location
      NY
      Posts
      13,043
      10-17-2012 07:49 AM #18
      OK, official announcement: http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/n...100604545.html

      OK, so it looks like what they had before with Fox/Speed. Practice and qualifying plus certain races broadcast on NBC itself. The Canadian round plus the last three rounds will be broadcast on NBC.

    18. 10-17-2012 08:41 AM #19
      While I fear that coverage will suffer I am going to hold out hope. I would love to see more coverage like the press conference, more pre and post race and all three practices. I would be happy if they gave us some of that stuff online.

    19. Member wiredvw's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 17th, 2006
      Location
      Minneapolis, MN
      Posts
      2,454
      Vehicles
      2010 VW Passat B6 Wagon
      10-17-2012 10:17 AM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by mx5er View Post
      OK, official announcement: http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/n...100604545.html

      OK, so it looks like what they had before with Fox/Speed. Practice and qualifying plus certain races broadcast on NBC itself. The Canadian round plus the last three rounds will be broadcast on NBC.
      Hold on a second there. Only 4 races will be on NBC free to air broadcast. After that the races are on NBC Sports Network which is a subscription based channel. It doesn't look like you can subscribe to it without going through a cable subscription service which sucks. However, they do have their iOS and Android app that you can watch content through which is only verified by your subscription service.

      Who do will they have as commentators?

    20. 10-17-2012 04:19 PM #21
      Can you guys get TSN (Canadian ESPN) on satellite? They have all races live, and use the BBC/SKY feed.
      Quote Originally Posted by 20aeman View Post
      No, the real enthusiast vehicle would be the RX8. It combines V12 Lamborghini gas mileage with Hyundai Genesis 4cyl. performance.

    21. 10-17-2012 07:25 PM #22
      That looks to be channel 603 to DirecTV subscribers.

    22. Member wiredvw's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 17th, 2006
      Location
      Minneapolis, MN
      Posts
      2,454
      Vehicles
      2010 VW Passat B6 Wagon
      10-18-2012 09:18 AM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by TurboTrucka View Post
      That looks to be channel 603 to DirecTV subscribers.
      I'll have to check this out during the next race, but I wouldn't be surprised if SPEED has that blocked during the F1 races given that they paid good money to be the sole broadcasters of F1 in the US.

    23. Member
      Join Date
      Jun 19th, 2002
      Location
      CLT NC
      Posts
      5,815
      Vehicles
      A3 Pilot S2K
      10-18-2012 04:35 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by wiredvw View Post
      Hold on a second there. Only 4 races will be on NBC free to air broadcast. After that the races are on NBC Sports Network which is a subscription based channel.
      Not only a subscription based channel, but one that with DISH, you need the premium Top250 package (290 channels). I only upgraded to the Top200 package for SPEED...now I gotta upgrade again for this? Ugh....

    24. Senior Member Binary Star's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 27th, 2001
      Location
      Chicago
      Posts
      30,112
      Vehicles
      Mk5 Wabbit
      10-18-2012 04:56 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by wiredvw View Post
      I'll have to check this out during the next race, but I wouldn't be surprised if SPEED has that blocked during the F1 races given that they paid good money to be the sole broadcasters of F1 in the US.
      Speed can't block out a channel owned by a different company. But that is a moot point since Speed broadcasts F1 in 2012 (NBC doesn't) and won't be able to do it in 2013 when NBC can. 603 is always on, at least for my DTV.

    25. Member
      Join Date
      Apr 15th, 2004
      Location
      Paxton, IL
      Posts
      4,851
      Vehicles
      '04 Bugatti wagon, '85 V65 Sabre
      10-18-2012 07:07 PM #26
      Sounds smart to me. How to get the sport of F1 more into the mainstream in th US? Put it on pay-per-view!! They won't watch it if it's free, but if it costs, everyone's gotta have it. Lol
      Form is temporary; Class is permanent

    26. Member wiredvw's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 17th, 2006
      Location
      Minneapolis, MN
      Posts
      2,454
      Vehicles
      2010 VW Passat B6 Wagon
      10-19-2012 09:31 AM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by Binary Star View Post
      Speed can't block out a channel owned by a different company. But that is a moot point since Speed broadcasts F1 in 2012 (NBC doesn't) and won't be able to do it in 2013 when NBC can. 603 is always on, at least for my DTV.
      Sure they can. it happens all the time with the NFL. If the local game isn't sold out or close to it, the game isn't broadcasted live locally. The rest of the region and country can see it just fine. Unless of course you buy the premium NFL channel from DirecTV. If I were Speed I would move to block TSN broadcast of F1 in the US given that they paid for the sole rights.

    27. 10-19-2012 02:24 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by wiredvw View Post
      Sure they can. it happens all the time with the NFL. If the local game isn't sold out or close to it, the game isn't broadcasted live locally. The rest of the region and country can see it just fine. Unless of course you buy the premium NFL channel from DirecTV. If I were Speed I would move to block TSN broadcast of F1 in the US given that they paid for the sole rights.
      What are you talking about? We're talking about 2013 when SPEED/Fox no longer has the rights and NBC does. That's when channel 603 or whatever your provider broadcasts it on.

    28. Member 24vEngineer's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 27th, 2007
      Location
      SLOW Cal
      Posts
      1,541
      Vehicles
      2004 Audi S4, 08 Wolfy
      10-19-2012 03:47 PM #29
      I have been watching NBC Sports on directTV for a couple of months...it's ok. The funny thing is that the Lucas Off-Road Series and the TORC series truck races are Speed re-broadcasts. Lee Diffey commentates both and I know that Lee works exclusively for Speed.

      If NBC wants to do this right, they will bring in 3 broadcasters from the UK plus a smoking hot chick for driver interviews and snipets...someone a little bit hotter than Natalie Pinkham.

    29. 10-19-2012 06:47 PM #30
      I'll take Buxton over some idiot eye candy.

    30. Member wiredvw's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 17th, 2006
      Location
      Minneapolis, MN
      Posts
      2,454
      Vehicles
      2010 VW Passat B6 Wagon
      10-22-2012 09:15 AM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by TurboTrucka View Post
      What are you talking about? We're talking about 2013 when SPEED/Fox no longer has the rights and NBC does. That's when channel 603 or whatever your provider broadcasts it on.
      I'm talking about the fact that a US broadcaster can block the presentation of a single event, the same event, on another channel if they have paid for the sole rights of that single event broadcast. I was referring to the fact that this season, 2012, TSN in Canada broadcasts the BBC feed and Speed broadcasts their own F1 feed in the US and having paid for those rights can block another channel from broadcasting that event. Apologies it sounded like I meant blocking the entire channel.

    31. Member
      Join Date
      Feb 25th, 1999
      Location
      Texas
      Posts
      1,672
      Vehicles
      1999 Passat GLS - 2008 R32 - 2010 CX-7 GT
      10-25-2012 12:11 AM #32
      Isn't NBC Sports Network the old Versus channel? The two cable companies I've used the last few years have had this channel in their basic plus tier.

    32. Member GPHawaii808's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 5th, 2006
      Location
      Hawaii
      Posts
      2,058
      Vehicles
      Oldsmobile Intrigue
      10-25-2012 04:58 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by Urlik View Post
      Isn't NBC Sports Network the old Versus channel? The two cable companies I've used the last few years have had this channel in their basic plus tier.
      Yes. They are trying to catch up to ABC/ESPN for a bigger bite out of the sports/cable pie.

      All of this reminds of the show Sports Night.
      North American Grand Prix (NAGP) - Sim Racing League
      http://northamericangp.com/index.php...tpage&Itemid=1

    33. Member mx5er's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 28th, 2001
      Location
      NY
      Posts
      13,043
      10-27-2012 12:35 AM #34
      During tonight's F1 Debrief on Speed, Bob Varsha said they won't be at CoTA during the race weekend to call the race

      He mentioned something about the NBC deal and budget issues. But the three will be at CoTA during beginning of the race week to tape segments and such.

      So for the US GP, the three will be calling the race from Speed studio and Will Buxton will be there as usual.

    34. Member
      Join Date
      Apr 15th, 2004
      Location
      Paxton, IL
      Posts
      4,851
      Vehicles
      '04 Bugatti wagon, '85 V65 Sabre
      10-27-2012 10:17 AM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by mx5er View Post
      During tonight's F1 Debrief on Speed, Bob Varsha said they won't be at CoTA during the race weekend to call the race

      He mentioned something about the NBC deal and budget issues. But the three will be at CoTA during beginning of the race week to tape segments and such.

      So for the US GP, the three will be calling the race from Speed studio and Will Buxton will be there as usual.
      What a slap in the face. How do you do that to those guys after all these years?? I had heard from a friend of mine who knows Matchett, that they would not be there that weekend. Farked up, if you ask me.
      Form is temporary; Class is permanent

    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •