Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Nexus 7 - Best tablet I have used, to date

10-12-2012 02:17 PM #1
      I have an iPad2 and had a Transformer (I gave it to my girlfriend when I purchased the Nexus 7). What can I say? I love this little thing, it's the perfect form factor for me. With the Transformer or iPad, I always ended up getting out my 13" Macbook, they're just big enough that I wanted a keyboard... so why not use the Macbook when it's so small anyway? The Nexus 7 with Jellybean is the smoothest, best form factor _for_me_ and I've finally found a tablet I enjoy using. For the times I need more, I turn to a laptop.

shaneparkerphoto.com
      ---
      I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day. ~Frank Sinatra

10-14-2012 01:00 AM #2
      Counterpoint:

And on Friday, I sold the Nexus 7 I pre-ordered because I couldn't stand it. Its small size was nice for portability for me, but when it came time to read on it, the scrolling drove me up the wall. Project Butter on mine must have been under construction When scrolling slowly, it bothered my eyes the way the screen flickered...like I could see the redraws or something. I prefer the larger screen of the iPad, not to mention the much wider availability of tablet apps (and apps that actually work on my iPad). There were several apps that would fail to launch or had a ton of unused space. I understand that Google is now trying to tackle this issue (and one of the apps that wouldn't launch [Nest] was recently updated for tablet compatibility, but I got sick of the issues.

10-14-2012 03:44 AM #3
      hm, I've been with it for a week now with none of the issues you're talking about (you realize you can unlock the screen to rotate and read pages/text much larger or make all text across the board much larger by default, right?). I get no screen choppiness or "flickering". After the JB update, the device was even more buttery smooth and, apparently, addressed some issues others were having on some devices (although, like I said, I never ran into them).

Simple little apps like airdroid, bluetooth capabilities and other built-in wireless capabilities just blow the iPad out of the water when it comes to sharing files/media across just about any device. I have yet to plug it in except to charge it! I like sitting at my computer and installing apps to it from across the room that I know I'll need later

Maybe issues will pop up for me during use, but one day with the iPad and Nexus alone made the choice easy for me (although I still have both, I just use the iPad for dev at work).

Guess I just never understood ~$700+ 10" tablets when there are very light laptop alternatives that provide FAR more versatility. If I want a device for portability, it should be quite a bit smaller than an airbook or macbook 13" or whatever, otherwise, I'll get the small laptops.
      Last edited by sonicGLI; 10-14-2012 at 03:54 AM.
      shaneparkerphoto.com
      ---
      I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day. ~Frank Sinatra

4. Member
      Vehicles
      Corvette & SV650
      10-14-2012 08:01 AM #4
      Agreed. And if a tablet is going to approach the size of a sheet of paper, it should have great inking capabilities.
      Quote Originally Posted by apizzaparty View Post
      never thought once to use my lefty for the brake. sorry in my opinion it is dumb.

10-14-2012 12:29 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by sonicGLI View Post
      (you realize you can unlock the screen to rotate and read pages/text much larger or make all text across the board much larger by default, right?). I get no screen choppiness or "flickering". After the JB update
      Yes, I do realize that, although I don't know why the screen was rotation-locked out of the box. The flicker was especially noticeable while scrolling smoothly for me, but it was very annoying to me, coworkers said they didn't notice it until I pointed it out. The 4.1.2 JB update came out a day or two before I sold it, and even after forcing an update check, my 7 never got it before I did a master reset to put it in the box.

Quote Originally Posted by sonicGLI
      Simple little apps like airdroid, bluetooth capabilities and other built-in wireless capabilities just blow the iPad out of the water when it comes to sharing files/media across just about any device. I have yet to plug it in except to charge it! I like sitting at my computer and installing apps to it from across the room that I know I'll need later
      I never used AirDroid, but it doesn't look like something I'd use on a regular basis. Like many things, I think it'd fall into the "gee whiz, that's cool", but never sees regular use category. I rarely use wifi sync on the iPad (I only use it to move PDF procedures I write for work to it) and haven't physically plugged my iPad into a computer in over a year, there's simply no need to.

Quote Originally Posted by sonicGLI
      Guess I just never understood ~$700+ 10" tablets when there are very light laptop alternatives that provide FAR more versatility. If I want a device for portability, it should be quite a bit smaller than an airbook or macbook 13" or whatever, otherwise, I'll get the small laptops.
      I have a 13" MacBook Air and unless I'm working, I use the iPad. The instant on is faster than waking from sleep, and I like reading on the iPad a lot more than reading on a small laptop screen.

I'm not saying one tablet is the answer for everyone, I just found the 7" form factor wasn't for me. Like I said, the size was great for portability, but not much else, in my opinion.

10-14-2012 01:39 PM #6
      To each his own

I use a bunch of different tablets at work and the Nexus 7 was the only one that had me buying one for personal use.

By the way, the JB OTA update came out on my the day after I got it. Didn't have to Jailbreak or anything, the full release from Google is being released on these things now. 10 minute upgrade (if that, including reboot).
      shaneparkerphoto.com
      ---

Vehicles
      E82M & V40 T4 R-Design
      10-27-2012 04:22 AM #7
      I'm using both right now, and I love how easy it is to transfer files on the Nexus. Great for stuff like watching video I downloaded off the web, and the video, for the most part, runs rather smoothly on it.

But then again, I enjoy using the iPad a lot more, simply because the apps are much better resolved on it, and functionality wise, I find it a lot more useful.

8. 10-29-2012 02:22 PM #8
      I may get some slack for this, I love the N7 but I wish it had a 4G/HSPA+ radio in it so I could make calls. With a few tweaks I could def see this being a truly all-in-one device for me. It's big enough to replace my laptop (I don't do any personal work on my home comp) and yet small enough to be mobile and replace my phone. If I could throw a SIM card in it today I would, and my phone would only get used when I went to my softball games or out for a bike ride. I think a 7inch tablet like the N7 is the perfect size for an all-in-one device that could seriously replace the computer and phone for people who don't need to do "work stuff" on them.

10-29-2012 02:36 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by b2m_vw View Post
      I may get some slack for this, I love the N7 but I wish it had a 4G/HSPA+ radio in it so I could make calls. With a few tweaks I could def see this being a truly all-in-one device for me. It's big enough to replace my laptop (I don't do any personal work on my home comp) and yet small enough to be mobile and replace my phone. If I could throw a SIM card in it today I would, and my phone would only get used when I went to my softball games or out for a bike ride. I think a 7inch tablet like the N7 is the perfect size for an all-in-one device that could seriously replace the computer and phone for people who don't need to do "work stuff" on them.
      Don't know why you'd get slack for it, although it would look silly up to your ear as a phone

You can use a free hotspot app on your Android phone or, obviously, WiFi to make calls using various apps since there is a mic on it (Or just attach a Bluetooth headset). I thought about using it as a phone but I like my phone's form-factor way more for that.
      shaneparkerphoto.com
      ---

Vehicles
      1994 Ford Temp GL
      10-29-2012 03:07 PM #10
      16Gb ordered. Will be here tomorrow. Don't need 32GB or 3G, so it was just a wait until the price dropped.
      Rick
      1994 Ford Tempo GL

11. 10-29-2012 06:23 PM #11
      Don't know why you'd get slack for it, although it would look silly up to your ear as a phone

You can use a free hotspot app on your Android phone or, obviously, WiFi to make calls using various apps since there is a mic on it (Or just attach a Bluetooth headset). I thought about using it as a phone but I like my phone's form-factor way more for that.
      I didn't realize, or maybe it came with the announcement of the Nexus 10 and Nexus 4 that the N7 is now available for $299 with HSPA+. It's listed as "Coming Soon" and only in the 32GB version. I'm seriously considering selling my current 8GB N7 and getting this one. I thought about getting a Nexus 4 since I've had every Nexus that came out so far, but having what I think would be an all-in-one device would be awesome!

12. 11-01-2012 11:27 AM #12
      Looking for some opinions here. My current lineup of electronics is a GN, N7, and a Dell Laptop. The laptop gets absolutely zero use now since I got the N7. But now I'm wondering if there is truly an all-in-one device that could replace everything I own. Google just put on their site the N7 with HSPA+, so I could sell my current N7 and get that or get one of the new Galaxy Notes. Anyone with experience with both? My thinking is that the new Note or an N7 (w/HSPA+) would be my only device replacing everything. The GN is too small for an all-in-one IMO, and a 10 inch tablet is too big. And plus, just because it's the way I am I'd like to simplify down to only one device if possible.

This would be strictly for personal use. I have a desktop for work, but don't need anything other than email at home for work. It's mostly for web browsing, researching stocks, and light media use. I also don't have WiFi at home and just tether from my GN to the N7 now.

Looking forward to you opinions

13. 11-01-2012 12:56 PM #13
      Personally I think carrying around a 7" tablet at all times and using it as a phone would be pretty ridiculous. Conversely, I think a GNote would be too small for all browsing needs. There's many times when I think the screen on my GNex is too small for what I'm browsing, and my 7" kindle fire is much better. 4-5" screens are good for on the go, but I much prefer something larger for couch surfing.

For me, there is no such thing as an all in one device. I want something large enough not to be annoyingly small, but small enough not to be annoying large on the go. Gnex is perfect size for this. And at home, I want something with enough real estate that I don't need to scroll and zoom all the time. 7-10" tablets are perfect size for this.

11-02-2012 08:54 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
      Personally I think carrying around a 7" tablet at all times and using it as a phone would be pretty ridiculous. Conversely, I think a GNote would be too small for all browsing needs. There's many times when I think the screen on my GNex is too small for what I'm browsing, and my 7" kindle fire is much better. 4-5" screens are good for on the go, but I much prefer something larger for couch surfing.

For me, there is no such thing as an all in one device. I want something large enough not to be annoyingly small, but small enough not to be annoying large on the go. Gnex is perfect size for this. And at home, I want something with enough real estate that I don't need to scroll and zoom all the time. 7-10" tablets are perfect size for this.
      I'm of the same opinion. Sometimes you simply need a larger screen, but not for making phone calls
      shaneparkerphoto.com
      ---

11-02-2012 08:55 PM #15
      Ok, even I admit this is a bit silly, but I love it! GPS turn-by-turn on the Nexus and traffic overhead view on the phone

shaneparkerphoto.com
      ---

Vehicles
      indeed!
      11-05-2012 06:41 PM #16
      Too bad no split screen so you can actually view the road that is blocked

For the tl;dr crowd, let me sum it up.

Nexus 7 is awesome.

There's a new user here called jerk, he reminds me of an old user with a similar name.

Nexus 7 is awesome.

Nexus 7 is awesome.

I've actually used a voip type client on the N7, works very well. I can forward calls to portable numbers like GV and then send to specific devices that I choose.
      MOEW: ٩(●̮̮̃•̃)۶ Zomg Zombies ٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶ ٩(×̯×)۶ ¯\(°_o)/¯
      If you have a problem with anything I do here, feel free to call me on my cell to discuss at anytime: (781)452-2079 LEAPRZ

11-05-2012 07:01 PM #17
      lol, I don't actually have it like that, I was just being funny. I have the Nexus sitting pretty much on the dash (still connected to the glass, but not in the way of the road) and I no longer put my phone up there, it just stays in my pocket and acts as a hotspot to the Nexus (for free via FoxFi).
      shaneparkerphoto.com
      ---

11-05-2012 07:06 PM #18
      (for free via FoxFi).
      Which carrier do you have, and do you have to use it with the "FoxFi AddOn" proxy to keep your carrier from booting you?

11-05-2012 07:09 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by AZGolf View Post
      Which carrier do you have, and do you have to use it with the "FoxFi AddOn" proxy to keep your carrier from booting you?
      I'm on Verizon. I've had it running almost non-stop since I got the tablet. So far, not a peep out of them. I'm also grandfathered in on the unlimited data plan. I average 7GB/month (stream pandora/movies/etc. all day at work). I did install the addon a couple nights ago, but I have no idea what I"m supposed to do with it or how it works.
      shaneparkerphoto.com
      ---

Vehicles
      indeed!
      11-05-2012 07:18 PM #20
      I was being funny, too!

Straight foxfi a lot here, even usb tether, no notes from the vzw yet. I'm like your description, but maybe 5-6G/mo
      MOEW: ٩(●̮̮̃•̃)۶ Zomg Zombies ٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶ ٩(×̯×)۶ ¯\(°_o)/¯
      If you have a problem with anything I do here, feel free to call me on my cell to discuss at anytime: (781)452-2079 LEAPRZ

11-06-2012 12:58 PM #21
      I'm on Verizon. I've had it running almost non-stop since I got the tablet. So far, not a peep out of them. I'm also grandfathered in on the unlimited data plan. I average 7GB/month (stream pandora/movies/etc. all day at work). I did install the addon a couple nights ago, but I have no idea what I"m supposed to do with it or how it works.
      Oh I've been meaning to ask by grandfathered you mean you had unlimited data from a prior tablet or a phone?

I have the unlimited AT&T plan still with my current phone. Does this transfer over to a tablet if I bought one?

22. 11-06-2012 01:08 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.0T_Convert View Post
      Oh I've been meaning to ask by grandfathered you mean you had unlimited data from a prior tablet or a phone?

I have the unlimited AT&T plan still with my current phone. Does this transfer over to a tablet if I bought one?
      Yes, that's what he means. Most assuredly an old phone. Previously Verizon allowed you to keep your unlimited plan when upgrading your phone, but now, you must buy phones off contract to keep your unlimited plan. Signing a new contract will force you into a restricted data plan.

Not 100% sure, but I'll say 99% sure that you won't be able to transfer it, assuming it doesn't replace your current phone. AT&T isn't giving unlimited data plans for any new contracts.

23. 11-06-2012 05:15 PM #23
      Well I've carried my N7 exclusively the past week or so and you guys were right, it's just a tad too big to carry around all the time. So I'll keep my current N7 and GN but still may get the N4.

11-06-2012 05:40 PM #24
      Yes, that's what he means. Most assuredly an old phone.
      Technically, it's tied to the account, not the phone. As long as I didn't change accounts, I didn't lose the grandfathered plan. That may have changed, but that's the way it was, it wasn't tied to the device.

Previously Verizon allowed you to keep your unlimited plan when upgrading your phone, but now, you must buy phones off contract to keep your unlimited plan. Signing a new contract will force you into a restricted data plan.

Not 100% sure, but I'll say 99% sure that you won't be able to transfer it, assuming it doesn't replace your current phone. AT&T isn't giving unlimited data plans for any new contracts.
      My newest phone is four months old, so unless they've changed it since then, you could grandfather in without buying off contract. If they have changed it, I would most certainly spend the money buying off-contract on a new phone. Unlimited data (the amount I use, anyway) is gold. I would eat up the cost of the off-contract phone real quick with expensive data plans.
      Last edited by sonicGLI; 11-06-2012 at 05:47 PM.
      shaneparkerphoto.com
      ---

11-06-2012 05:41 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by b2m_vw View Post
      Well I've carried my N7 exclusively the past week or so and you guys were right, it's just a tad too big to carry around all the time. So I'll keep my current N7 and GN but still may get the N4.
      I carry my N7 and phone around everywhere I go. N7 fits in a coat or back pocket just fine. Still silly to use as a phone, though
      shaneparkerphoto.com
      ---

26. 11-07-2012 02:17 PM #26

My newest phone is four months old, so unless they've changed it since then, you could grandfather in without buying off contract. If they have changed it, I would most certainly spend the money buying off-contract on a new phone. Unlimited data (the amount I use, anyway) is gold. I would eat up the cost of the off-contract phone real quick with expensive data plans.
      Yes, it changed since then. I don't recall the exact date, but the policy is very new.. Sept time frame I believe. If you purchase a subsidized phone you will be forced into a shared data plan or limited individual data plan. Buying at full price or used will allow you to maintain your old unlimited data plan. In a family plan, if the owner upgrades with a subsidized phone and selects a shared data plan, everyone will be moved onto that shared data plan and all unlimited plans will be lost. The owner can select a limited individual data plan and allow everyone else to keep what they had (which isn't being advertised by vzw.. they mention it once or twice briefly on the website whereas shared plan info is plastered everywhere).

So, from here on out I plan to buy 6mo old phones used at a discount to keep my unlimited.. or hope Google releases an inexpensively priced Nexus on Verizon again.. Nexus 4 is only $299 full price!!!

11-07-2012 08:32 PM #27
      Yes, it changed since then. I don't recall the exact date, but the policy is very new.. Sept time frame I believe. If you purchase a subsidized phone you will be forced into a shared data plan or limited individual data plan. Buying at full price or used will allow you to maintain your old unlimited data plan. In a family plan, if the owner upgrades with a subsidized phone and selects a shared data plan, everyone will be moved onto that shared data plan and all unlimited plans will be lost. The owner can select a limited individual data plan and allow everyone else to keep what they had (which isn't being advertised by vzw.. they mention it once or twice briefly on the website whereas shared plan info is plastered everywhere).

So, from here on out I plan to buy 6mo old phones used at a discount to keep my unlimited.. or hope Google releases an inexpensively priced Nexus on Verizon again.. Nexus 4 is only $299 full price!!!
      That's good to know. I've still got quite a while before my next upgrade, but I'll definitely be buying off-plan phones to keep the unlimited data (and I'm not in a shared plan, so doesn't affect anything).
      shaneparkerphoto.com
      ---

11-07-2012 09:28 PM #28

The forcing into a shared or limited plan must be Verizon only because I upgraded from an iPhone 4 to a Galaxy 3S last month with AT&T and kept the unlimited data plan. I got the phone with the 2-year contract price.

29. 11-08-2012 10:52 AM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.0T_Convert View Post
      The forcing into a shared or limited plan must be Verizon only because I upgraded from an iPhone 4 to a Galaxy 3S last month with AT&T and kept the unlimited data plan. I got the phone with the 2-year contract price.
      AT&T kets you keep unlimited.. I know they issued a press release around the iP5 release saying (unlike verizon) you could keep your old unlimited plan if you upgraded. I don't know if it only applies to certain phones like the iP5 and SG3 or every phone.