Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Links back to The Car Lounge (opens in same window)
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 521whp STOCK motor BRZ - VIDEO

1. 10-13-2012 01:35 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by I_like_waffles View Post
      Yes I totally want to blow engines every 6 months!
      I hope you're just trolling...

Quote Originally Posted by lowredcabrio View Post
      Those big turbo cars seem miserable to drive.. I'd like to make power before 7k rpm please.
      Then don't buy a big turbo car? It's a crazy theory I know. The power band is basically the same as stock until you hit 4.5K rpm, and then you are making quite a bit more power than stock stock from there to redline... Keep in mind they didn't even start the dyno run until about 3.7K rpm.

Not to mention that they will have kits with smaller turbos that still make a **** load of power and spool sooner. If you want to make the power earlier, buy a smaller turbo. If you want the biggest dick on the block, get the GT35R. Who am I kidding though, it's not like any of you even own BRZs or would ever buy this kit anyways.

Vehicles
      2013 Golf .:R, 2007 GTI, 1991 GTI VR6, 1963.5 VW Bug, 2001 Aprilia Falco
      10-13-2012 01:47 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by Hostile View Post
      Head gaskets haven't been a common problem since 2005. And it's never been a problem with the 6-cylinder engines.
      Tell that to the Subaru tech at our shop who oddly enough just did his second outback 6 cylinder head-gasket job this week. I'm sorry but your wrong, they are still a major issue.

10-13-2012 01:52 PM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by slippinclutch View Post
      it's not like any of you even own BRZs
      I thought there were all in the shop for warranty repairs
      Texts Between Men: What the hell was I thinking?

Quote Originally Posted by emmettlodge View Post
      I've sucd di lsks bigger than. You

4. 10-13-2012 02:07 PM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by 100% Euro View Post
      Tell that to the Subaru tech at our shop who oddly enough just did his second outback 6 cylinder head-gasket job this week. I'm sorry but your wrong, they are still a major issue.
      Did the cars in question have the updated head gaskets? IIRC, Subaru released a newer head gasket that was supposed to fix this problem.

Vehicles
      2003 Miata SE, 2002 Z51 Corvette
      10-13-2012 02:18 PM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by Tommi View Post

I what planet is that STOCK?
      Add anything - even software and it is NOT STOCK
      stock engine internals are an indication of overall strength of motor and parts. there are plenty of stock block Evo's and S2000's in this hp range too. it more has to do with proper fuel and boost delivery with good computer control. most modern engines are pretty heavily overbuilt. with that being said, this isn't a car that will take you to and from work everyday for the next 100k miles with no issues. still impressive though.
      Regarding DD'ing a tuned Evo:
      Quote Originally Posted by SchrickVR6 View Post
      It's composed at all speeds and at all times...it just feels like you're holding the leash on a 150lb pit bull and praying you don't see a squirrel.

Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      10-13-2012 02:51 PM #41
      Did the cars in question have the updated head gaskets? IIRC, Subaru released a newer head gasket that was supposed to fix this problem.
      You mean a newer design that replaces the older design on existing sold cars, or a newer design for the production line?

And I still think a mild supercharger set up is the way to go whit these cars.
      Superchargers help with midrange and don't create the heat issues of a turbo system.
      |˙˙ʇǝuɹǝʇuı ǝɥʇ uo ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ɯopuɐɹ pɐǝɹ noʎ :ǝɯıʇ ǝǝɹɟ ɥɔnɯ ooʇ ʎɐʍ ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ןןǝʇ oʇ ʍoɥ˙˙˙|http://hotlinktest.com/

Vehicles
      '12 TCLs Favorite Rental SE, '72 MGB GT, '58 MGA
      10-13-2012 02:59 PM #42
      Triple square bolts work very well for their intended purpose and they do have one, far superior to allen bolts. And your crazy if you think Japanese engines are superior to euro engines in a mechanical aspect. Better electrical connectors and higher quality plastics for the cooling system yes but better internals no way.
      I heard that Subaru motors have weak valve rockers...

8. 10-13-2012 03:19 PM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      You mean a newer design that replaces the older design on existing sold cars, or a newer design for the production line?

And I still think a mild supercharger set up is the way to go whit these cars.
      Superchargers help with midrange and don't create the heat issues of a turbo system.
      A newer design to replace the old ones on existing cars. I believe it was just a TSB and a new part, no recall or anything that I know of. However, I don't own a subaru, I'm just pretty sure I read something about that a while ago. I could be way off.

Vehicles
      2008 BMW 335i
      10-13-2012 03:28 PM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by I_like_waffles View Post
      Yes I totally want to blow engines every 6 months!
      Until you push the engine to the breaking point, you don't know where the limits are. Frankly, the sooner they blow up one, the better.
      Quote Originally Posted by MAG58 View Post
      Please consider your audience before saying something sensible. 80% of TCL drivers were actually banned from Formula 1 for being too fast.
      A turbocharger is a device in where exhaust gases go in, witchcraft happens, and then you go faster.

10. 10-13-2012 04:05 PM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by x1000rpms View Post
      Sooo.. Makes less than 200 hp between 1000 and 5000 RPM then makes an average of 350 hp between 5000 and 6500 rpm... with an anemic plateu/drop off from 6500 to 7500.

So...

I would spend 5/7ths of my time making less horsepower than a Tercel.

Then I would spend 2/7ths of my time making (average) as much hp as a corvette from 20 years ago?

All while getting worse reliability than a corvette manufactured 20 years ago.. While spending as much money on mods as would have bought be a used 6th gen vette?

Yeah... This is a drastic improvement over the original car.

You have a funny way of reading dyno's. First, it basically is going to 8000rpm. Second, I don't know what you consider anemic, but losing only 20hp across 1000rpm after peak, is not, especially when that's 500 horsepower. It will feel like it just wants to keep going and going.

Third, the ENTIRE power-band is higher than the stock car, even low rpm. So the fact that it makes more power up top, and the same or better down low, makes it slow?

It's over 300 hp from 5000rpm on. the stock car peaked at 200. Every shift will be 100% in the boosted zones and higher gears the rev drop will be small enough that you'll go from like 500hp to 450hp. If you're trying to go fast at 3000rpm with a car that raps out to 8000 you're a dumbass. Downshift idiot.

Yeah it's peaky, but that'd be a beast to drive, especially with how it winds the power out up top.

And if you're going to start talking $$ vs reliability vs mods, GTFO now. You have no place in a modding discussion.

11. Banned
      10-13-2012 06:10 PM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by compy222 View Post
      stock engine internals are an indication of overall strength of motor and parts. there are plenty of stock block Evo's and S2000's in this hp range too. it more has to do with proper fuel and boost delivery with good computer control. most modern engines are pretty heavily overbuilt. with that being said, this isn't a car that will take you to and from work everyday for the next 100k miles with no issues. still impressive though.
      This this this. I know in the ITR community that whenever someone new comes up and says "I wanna boost the B18C5, how should I do it?" there are those who say that the B18C5 has too high compression to be reliable with a turbo, there are those who say tear apart the engine and rebuild it for boost, there are those who say to sell the ITR and buy a GS-R to boost because boosting an ITR is sacrilege, and then there are those who say you can make 350whp reliably on stock internals so long as you have a very good tuner and good supporting mods. The last ones are the most correct.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Gallardo Spyder, 2001 Miata LS, 2006 Corvette-Sold, 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 650R (RIP)
      10-13-2012 06:37 PM #47
      Triple square bolts work very well for their intended purpose and they do have one, far superior to allen bolts. And your crazy if you think Japanese engines are superior to euro engines in a mechanical aspect. Better electrical connectors and higher quality plastics for the cooling system yes but better internals no way.
      I always find it funny that people who own a car from the lowest-rung European manufacturers have the most to say about the superiority of "European" cars. Just because a Jetta comes from the same continent as a Bugatti doesn't mean all "European" cars can be grouped as a whole
      "When you need to get somewhere quickly, I'd rather get there the fastest I can, looking the best I can"-Rutledge Wood

Vehicles
      2013 Golf .:R, 2007 GTI, 1991 GTI VR6, 1963.5 VW Bug, 2001 Aprilia Falco
      10-13-2012 08:02 PM #48
      I am not familiar with that, I work on the Euro cars and occasionally Honda's when our Honda guy is swamped. I know the last one was an 07 If memory serves me about 80K miles.

Quote Originally Posted by thetopdog View Post
      I always find it funny that people who own a car from the lowest-rung European manufacturers have the most to say about the superiority of "European" cars. Just because a Jetta comes from the same continent as a Bugatti doesn't mean all "European" cars can be grouped as a whole
      Im really not sure what your saying here, I am a mechanic or tech or whatever you want to call it. I work on everything from aircooled VW's to AMG Mercedes, I work in a shop that specializes in European and Japanese cars with 4 techs; One is a Honda tech, the other Subaru, the other does the misc. jap cars and I do the euro cars. I can tell you with 100% certainty that Japanese cars suffer a great deal more MECHANICAL failures than European cars. So I am in a good position to argue this point, are you?

P.S. Jetta = Mexico Bugatti = France; not the same continent. Yes European in design but not assembly.
      Last edited by 100% Euro; 10-13-2012 at 08:11 PM.

Vehicles
      '96 B4V VR6, Poverty-spec E46
      10-13-2012 08:14 PM #49
      Those motor mounts look like they're getting taxed.

Vehicles
      2013 Scion FR-S
      10-13-2012 11:03 PM #50
      I *do* own an FR-S and this isn't for me. I'm impressed with it, but it's not something I'm interested in putting on my car.

Now the Vortech supercharger, that has my interest piqued.

10-14-2012 03:04 AM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by compy222 View Post
      I'm well aware of what you wrote. OP should have put it "stock internals" or something not "STOCK motor". You mentioned it too - pretty much any modern car may put that kind of power for a while.

Inflation: used to be "big turbo BRZ 521 whp!" and now it is "521 whp STOCK motor BRZ"

That car has almost everything done except internals. Porting or polishing doesn't change parts - I wouldn't still call those STOCK or even stock...

Disclaimer: I live in a country where chipping turbo engine is legally the same as changing engine...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12