Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Project Wolfsburg

1. Member
      Vehicles
      1991 Wolfsburg jetta
      10-15-2012 06:01 PM #1
      I know many of you will look at this and think "why did he start a thread on this." Some of you will think it's not a build thread at all. But I had a vehicle stolen a year back or so (never got it back) and luckily I had a build thread online. Having a record of how the vehicle was when I got it and everything I had done to it since really helped when I had to deal with the insurance company and I was able to come out almost even, money wise. So I'd rather be safe than sorry if that happens again.

I'm rather new in the vw world, i built a 1981 toyota pickup from stock to Rockcrawler (started when I was 15) got stolen when I was almost 17. Then I got a 94 Toyota pickup an built that up to Rockcrawler again, that's where I am now, I'm 18 with 2 major builds under my belt. But now I want a car to DD, so I got this last week. 1991 Wolfsburg Jetta, 193k miles, 1.8 8v and a 5 speed with a short shift kit, lowered about 3" with cut coils , tectonics 2 1/4" exhaust, and 14" snowflakes that the guy rattle canned.

So far I've only done a little bit of maintenance stuff, changed the oil, thermostat, coolant, brake fluid, power steering fluid. Later this week (hopefully tomorrow) I'm changing out the shift linkage bushings as they're worn pretty bad, cleaning the isv out along with some other miscellaneous things I can do for cheap/free. Getting a new k&n filter shipped in (2 3/4 flange which apparently is a really oddball size). Also ordering raceland ultimos tomorrow and putting those in as soon as they get here. This weekend I'll hopefully tackle the heater core and blend door foam so I can get my heater working good, as this is my new DD.

Future pland are tearing apart the tranny and replacing reverse (gear is chipped) along with my 2nd gear syncro
      Few pics

Pic with my truck
      Last edited by Nimyad; 10-16-2012 at 12:12 AM.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      1991 Wolfsburg jetta
      10-16-2012 12:13 AM #2
      Just drove home on the freeway at night in the rain and I'm pretty sure my headlights are awful. I'll adjust them some tomorrow and see if that helps but some HIDs might be in order. Any opinions on good brands?

3. Member
      Vehicles
      1991 Wolfsburg jetta
      10-17-2012 03:02 PM #3
      Ordered up some coilovers today, cleaned out my ISV and replaced the grommet for the little mushroom thing on the valve cover. Idles way better now (only bounces between 950-975 now) but I think I'm going to replace the brake booster vacuum line because it looks suspect, and also run some injector cleaner with my next fill up.

Also fixed my loud lifter, put 1/3 quart of atf in my oil and quieted it right now so I'm happy about that.

Now looking for some wheels and tires for winter so I can start working on my snowflakes

4. Member
      Vehicles
      1991 Wolfsburg jetta
      10-19-2012 07:43 PM #4
      Gave her a Bosch tuneup today, along with a new k&n air filter

My coilovers came to today too! raceland ultimos, going on tomorrow.

Vehicles
      '96 Fiat Puntamera diesel
      10-19-2012 08:09 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Nimyad View Post
      Just drove home on the freeway at night in the rain and I'm pretty sure my headlights are awful. I'll adjust them some tomorrow and see if that helps but some HIDs might be in order. Any opinions on good brands?
      US spec headlights? If so,

6. Member
      Vehicles
      1991 Wolfsburg jetta
      10-19-2012 08:48 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by izzo View Post
      US spec headlights? If so,
      Yeah, I adjusted them and they're not as bad but piaa bulbs are 50. Or I bite the bullet and convert it to quad rounds.

Vehicles
      monty green money pit, 91 audi 80 quattro, 04.5 PG Jetta GLI
      10-19-2012 10:27 PM #7
      Bite the bullet and buy a set of h4 headlights and relay the harness. The light output is 100x better than hids or us spec lighting. Also paint your front bumper white. it'll really help the look out a lot. The car looks pretty clean otherwise. Keep up the progress.

Love the toyota btw I've always wanted one.
      Last edited by CoreyB; 10-19-2012 at 10:33 PM.
      Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta Gti View Post
      Stance anything...I just. .. Yeah. Sounds horrific lol

8. 10-19-2012 10:37 PM #8
      Looks like the start of something beautiful, you should let me know how the coilover installation goes and how they ride as I will be ordering a set of ultimos in a weeks time!

9. Member
      Vehicles
      1991 Wolfsburg jetta
      10-21-2012 12:12 AM #9
      Got my front coilovers on today didn't get to the back, ran out of time. Install went fine but I'm finding out my car got in a decent wreck, ended up having to put a 1/4" spacer on one side but not the other for it to clear the coilovers. The ride is a ton better though, the front is way less bouncy and virtually no body roll.

Putting on the rears tomorrow and I'll get a pic of how I set it for height as well

10. Member
      Vehicles
      1991 Wolfsburg jetta
      10-21-2012 05:58 PM #10
      Got the rears installed today. They were a piece of cake after I took out the back seat lol I have about a 1/2" rack from the rear to the front an it's about an 11/2" higher than it was. The only thing I don't really like it to get them to sit his high to front helper springs and completely compressed and the rear and close to being completely compressed. They will go lower than I could ever run, my tire would hit the fender and there's still another inch of thread on the front coilovers.
      Rides so much better than stupid cut springs, barely any body roll and a nice firm but not super stiff ride.
      Got one pic right after I took it out of the shop, I'll get some road pics later.

And a pic from a get together last night

Better pic, it's not raked forward as much as I thought it was, it's pretty level.
      Last edited by Nimyad; 10-21-2012 at 08:55 PM.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      1991 Wolfsburg jetta
      10-21-2012 08:59 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Rcmafia View Post
      Bite the bullet and buy a set of h4 headlights and relay the harness. The light output is 100x better than hids or us spec lighting. Also paint your front bumper white. it'll really help the look out a lot. The car looks pretty clean otherwise. Keep up the progress.

Love the toyota btw I've always wanted one.
      I'll probably do just that, so I'll just leave these headlights till I get some money saved up. Definitely am going to paint the middle of the bumper white.

As for the Toyota, thanks! I've got a lot of hours and money into it, but it's definitely fun and worth it. Nothing quite like offroading

12. Member
      Vehicles
      1991 Wolfsburg jetta
      10-28-2012 11:04 PM #12
      Went to Seattle over the weekend and drove my jetta. Didn't have to many issues, nothing big at all. Had an exhaust mount break on me so I stopped by meineke and got it fixed for $3 since my last oil change (1500 miles) I lost about 1/2 quart of oil, it's not burning it and isn't marking its spot so it must be leaking and burning off somewhere. Also my top tensioner on the timing belt is starting to go out. Few pics I got, nothing in Seattle sadly, I was to busy trying to get up the stupid hills.
      It's home for the weekend

Snowqualmie pass off the road

With the gf

13. Member
      Vehicles
      1991 Wolfsburg jetta
      11-01-2012 08:17 PM #13
      photoshoped picture of my car to give me inspiration to actually strip my wheels

Vehicles
      72' BMW 2002, 88' Toyota SR5 Pickup w/ SAS
      11-02-2012 07:09 PM #14
      and change the diameter to a 16?

15. Member
      Vehicles
      1991 Wolfsburg jetta
      11-02-2012 08:55 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by daniresch View Post
      and change the diameter to a 16?
      Yup I have a enlarging ray I'm going to use on them I didn't photoshop the pic so the wheel size was changed.

16. 11-03-2012 12:00 PM #16
      Hey man I have a question for you. When you installed your coilovers did you have an issue with your tire clearing the coilovers? Did you run a spacer? Or is everything good? If everything came out fine then what offset are your wheels?

17. Member
      Vehicles
      1991 Wolfsburg jetta
      11-03-2012 01:41 PM #17
      I wouldn't have needed a spacer but my suspension is shifted to one side so I needed a 5mm spacer on one side. Wheels are just factory snowflakes.

Vehicles
      + over 7500 posts pre-ban
      11-03-2012 01:48 PM #18
      since my last oil change (1500 miles) I lost about 1/2 quart of oil, it's not burning it and isn't marking its spot so it must be leaking and burning off somewhere.
      I'm losing about the same amount of oil....Mine is leaking from the front crankseal behind the timing belt pulley on on the passenger side of the car...i need to fix it.....you might want to check your seal there....they weep, meaning you lose oil, but it never seems to drip on the ground....
      My 91 GTI 8V, original owner stylz, yo!: http://smg.photobucket.com/user/pdxg...%20july%202013

19. 11-03-2012 04:23 PM #19
      My wheels are factory bottle caps and they have an et38 which is apparently too high so I need to run at least a 5mm spacer all around plus I'm going to need a smaller profile tire also. Sorry for the life story just I was trying to figure out if I was the only person who wasn't aware that I would need the spacers to clear my stock wheels.

20. Member
      Vehicles
      1991 Wolfsburg jetta
      11-24-2012 11:24 PM #20
      Worked on my car a little bit today, fixed my incredibly sloppy shifter. I replaced the little rod and ball thing and it made all the difference in the world. The car is so much more fun to drive now. Also did a few little things like replaced my hood stand latch and got a clutch pedal cover.
      This was the old one, that ball isn't supposed to come off lol. Also replaced the top bushings because it was completely toast.

Also went to a group get together today

Next is rebuilding my steering rack and replacing some steering components cause they're on their way out.

21. Member
      Vehicles
      1991 Wolfsburg jetta
      11-30-2012 08:50 PM #21
      Small update, been doing little one night projects with my car. Yesterday I put my rack back on with my ski rack, the front fairlead wouldn't work with my ski racks though so that sucks. It's really weird since they're all Yakima though. Also fixed my headlight yesterday, someone cut them and butt connected the wires back together so I wrapped and heat shrunk them. Then today, since a PO disconnected my ac, I took out the ac radiator thingy and tucked my radiator because I think it's weird that they sit crooked.
      Finished product, except I need to do a driver mount other than wire

22. Member
      Vehicles
      1991 Wolfsburg jetta
      12-10-2012 02:47 AM #22
      So I've got a few questions and didn't want to start a new thread. My valve seals need to be replaced desperately. So I'm doing that this week, along with my timing belt tensioner, but is there anything else I should replace or inspect while I'm replacing the seals? I'm not pulling the head, just doing it in the car.

23. 12-10-2012 04:08 AM #23
      So I've got a few questions and didn't want to start a new thread. My valve seals need to be replaced desperately. So I'm doing that this week, along with my timing belt tensioner, but is there anything else I should replace or inspect while I'm replacing the seals? I'm not pulling the head, just doing it in the car.
      If i was in your boat, I would pull the head. You are really running the risk of dropping a valve and seriously ****ing things up if you don't.

I would check:

*Valve & guide wear
      * Int Shaft seal
      *Crank shaft seal

I would also use this time to upgrade the Head bolts to ARP studs, Heep in mind that stock head bolts are to be used one time and one time only
      92 Golf GL (sold) 91 Jetta (crushed) 92 Golf Gti (Never leaving) 02 TDI Jetta (SOLD) 07 Golf GTI 89 911 turbo

<- Do the Steveo

24. Member
      Vehicles
      1991 Wolfsburg jetta
      12-30-2012 02:39 PM #24
      Well, ended up getting the head rebuilt. The bottom end looked fine so I left it alone. Only snapped a couple pictures and none of it together, but it runs stronger than ever now and doesn't burn oil so I'm happy!

Vehicles
      B5.5 Passat Wagon,B5.5 Turbo Sedan, B5.5 Sedan,MK2 GLI Jetta
      12-30-2012 03:10 PM #25
      Looking really good!
      Current:
      B5.5 Passat Wagon 30v A/T, B5.5 Passat Sedan 1.8t 5spd
      Previous:
      1989 VW Mk2 Jetta, B5.5 Passat Sedan 30v 5spd

26. Member
      Vehicles
      1991 Wolfsburg jetta
      01-01-2013 06:59 AM #26
      Ok, so I'm pretty pissed. The motor is still burning oil out of the pistons after its sat overnight. When it was apart I looked at the bottom end and it looked fine. No scorching on the cylinder walls, just a ton of carbon on top of the pistons.
      The oil in it is way to thin right now, 10w30, if I put in a thicker oil will it help stop oil from going into the pistons when sitting? Are the rings bad? I haven't done a compressions test yet, but it drives just fine. Has plenty of power and no problems other than miss at idle that I haven't tried to fix yet, and the smelling like a damn 2 stroke on start up.
      Any input would be greatly appreciated.

27. Member
      Vehicles
      1991 Wolfsburg jetta
      01-04-2013 03:45 PM #27
      Come on guys, no suggestions?

Vehicles
      + over 7500 posts pre-ban
      01-04-2013 03:51 PM #28
      throw the thicker oil in there like you said, then do a compression test...then youll know for sure if its rings and bearings time....if it is, and youre on a budget, you can always find a lower mileage used bottom end or complete 8V motor super cheap to throw in while you recondition your current motor...
      My 91 GTI 8V, original owner stylz, yo!: http://smg.photobucket.com/user/pdxg...%20july%202013

29. Member
      Vehicles
      1991 Wolfsburg jetta
      01-04-2013 04:16 PM #29
      Put the thicker oil in yesterday, just went out and started it and it blew tons of blue smoke. Ugh. I'd love to just find a different motor to drop in, but there's none in my area.

30. Member
      Vehicles
      1991 Wolfsburg jetta
      06-02-2013 10:05 PM #30
      Just been driving this so no real big updates. I've just been living with the tiny amount of oil it burns, it isn't even enough to register on the dipstick, and it's been getting better with the warmer weather so I'm completely confused about what it is. I completely wore through the tires that came with this when i bought it so I got some 15" steelies from a friend and have some 195/45/15 federals on their way, should be here tuesday, so I'll get some pics of those installed when I can. I also need to replace my control arm bushings and inner tie rods I believe, but that won't be until after the Leavenworth show (June 15th).

31. Member
      Vehicles
      1991 Wolfsburg jetta
      06-07-2013 12:18 AM #31
      Got my tires installed and I really like them, it's pretty tight between the tires and rear coilovers (like a 1/4 inch) but they don't rub so it's all good. My camera's all screwed up so I didn't get pics yet, I'll try to get some up tomorrow.

32. Member
      Vehicles
      1991 Wolfsburg jetta
      06-08-2013 01:29 AM #32
      Got some pics None of my calypso green gas door though lol

My car and my lady

Wheel and tire combo, I think I'm going to paint the wheels calypso green.

33. Member
      Vehicles
      1991 Wolfsburg jetta
      07-03-2013 12:22 AM #33
      Did a little work today, painted my wheels and my hood was all screwed up so I started stickering it.

34. Member
      Vehicles
      87 golf 5 door 1.8 8v , 87 jetta gli 1.8 16 valve. 1992 army green bomber gti.
      07-03-2013 02:04 AM #34
      gah the wheels , its your car though! really like the look of it i must say, how much was it to get the head rebuilt? it looks amazing, and if your having any problems with your bottom end just go to an aba bottom end man!

35. Member
      Vehicles
      1991 Wolfsburg jetta
      07-03-2013 02:28 AM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by 2slow4yu View Post
      gah the wheels , its your car though! really like the look of it i must say, how much was it to get the head rebuilt? it looks amazing, and if your having any problems with your bottom end just go to an aba bottom end man!
      Thanks man!
      I like the wheels for now, if I get tired off them I can change the color for like $10 so I'm not too worried.
      It was $330 out the door for a rebuilt head, head bolts, and gasket kit.
      I'll probably go 2.0 16v on megasquirt before just an aba bottom end.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast