VWVortex

Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: The "Official" DIY/FAQ MkIII Post

1. Administrator David@vwvortex's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '04 R32/83 Rabbit GTI/13.5 Jetta GLI
      11-15-2002 09:20 AM #1
      By popular request here it is.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Please **ONLY** post the information you have and **NOT** debate it within the thread. If you do I'll delete the posts in order to save the thread.
      If you have a question about something in the FAQ please post in the forums and DO NOT post it in the FAQ or it will be deleted.
      Please make sure the "Append signature to this post" box is NOT checked before posting.
      ----------------FYI Basics on car stuff Facts etc---------------------------
      Tire Size Calculator
      everyone wants to know about Octane Boosters!
      Do you havea DE?
      Drivers editions were made in 1997 only info
      Vortex mythHeaders and exhaust systems 2.5" diameter and larger are NOT too big for properly tuned 2.0L 8v motors and do NOT take away your torque.
      What's the difference between OBDI & OBDII
      Do I have OBDI or OBDII?
      Suspension TuningLiink
      Another great MkIII/A3 resource Link
      The Hidden TachLink
      MKIII Display diagnostics how to...Link
      Link
      the differences in all models/trims/editions of jettasLinkLinkLinkLink
      ----------------Lighting and external electrics-----------------
      The easiest way to remove DRL's (Daytime Running Lights)
      *another way to eliminate DRLs (daytime running lights)
      *Another way to disable DRLs
      *The easiest way to disconnet the day time running lights
      Enabling Rear Fog Light on US-Spec Mk3 Golf
      Cheap tail light tinting or smoking
      PIAA Ion Crystal and MaxGold bulbs are good yellow bulbs for fogs and headlights
      Air Condition Light
      European Headlights - est. time to complete: 3:00 hrs
      wiring up MK4 look or e-codes
      The best instructions for a installing the rear foglight on a golf:
      How to add a jumper / bridge to enable high / low beams with fogs:Link
      How to enable the rear fog light on a Jetta.Link
      Bulb Types for Dual-Chambered Lights and FogsLink
      Bulb Types for other headlamps/lightsLink
      ----------------Interior related how to's and modifications------------
      mk4 cabrio (99+) guage cluster swap
      My steering wheel is making a scratchy or gritty noise when I turn the wheel...what's going on?
      Mk3 Cigarette Lighter fix
      Programming Keyless Entry Remotes
      How to fix your door-lock if you turn it and nothing happens, or it comes out...
      FYI for Cutting/Shortening shifter
      How to's on switchblade keys
      removing door panels
      2.0 Push-Button Start howto: (might be same on vr6)
      Installing TT pedalsLink
      How to install a Euro switchLink
      One-Touch Sunroof Open (Back only, not up)LInkLink
      How to take out the needles on the instrument clusterLinkLink
      What Is The Thread Size for the Shifter On a 2.0?Link
      Trunk Light for OBDI Cars Link
      Trunk LightLink
      Retrofit GloveboxLink
      Remote Keyless EntryLink
      MKIV Knob/Boot in a MKIII Link
      ----------------Brakes and Suspension------------------------------------
      explanation of a Suspension Install
      Mk3 VR6 spring and shock combos will fit 2.0L cars if you use the VR6 strut bearings and bushings
      98+ Jettas have different front brakes
      Canadian GTI Rear Strut Bar Polish modLink

----------------Bodywork, Painting, exteriors, wheels----------------
      left hand door handles will work on the right of your car
      how to take off your golf/gti rear glass spoiler
      Fixing Your Non-clip-on Door Moldings
      Debadging
      Removing Factory Sideskirts (all models except Cabrio)
      easiest, cheapest hood struts
      Ghetto HoodliftsLink
      another faded doorhandle solution
      "Where do I get spacers/adapters to go from 4x100 to 5x100"
      European bumpers – est. time to complete: 2:00-3:00 hrs (depending on how you choose to install rear rebar)
      How to Polish ALL Aluminums..Link
      My How-To for DIY Painted Door Handles Link
      Fixing Your Non-clip-on Door MoldingsLink
      (93-95) How to delete your passenger side keyholeLink
      Blackend VW EmblemLink
      How to add a Blue and White emblem to the back.Link
      Painting parts of your engine bay.Link
      How to clean wax and stuff off textured plastic.Link
      "Help" on installing Euro VR6 Lip Link
      Swapping in the rear Euro license plate frame/tub:Link
      Installing the Bonrath Mono-wiper:Link
      CL style plugged rear wiper for mk3 golf's and gti'sLink
      VW accessory lower grille coversLink
      Fuba InstallLink
      How to paint your 2.0 inatake manifoldLink
      SEAT Toledo Lip Spoiler InstallLink
      ----------------=Engine and Exhaust=------------------------------------------------
      Performance:
      GIAC (Garrett) chips is one of the best performing chips out there, dyno proven:
      to swiss cheese your air box
      CatBack Exhaust
      VR6 Throttle body coolant line bypass,
      Various manufacturers camshaft specs for 2.0L 8v motors:
      Can I see an ABD Big-Bore Intake / or is it worth it?
      What headers are available for the Mk3 2.0L 8v?
      Modifying the air box for better performance as well as the real story about the Air Temperture Control system Link
      Another Airbox Mod
      Link
      Maintenance or how-to:
      Changing Spark Plugs on a 2.0
      Timing Belt on a 2.0
      Serpentine belt, Brake pads, Tinting Lights, Exhaust Install
      Easy VR6 Upper Intake Manifold RemovalLink

--------------------=Transmission & Clutch=-----------------------------------------
      How Do I Install my Short Shift Kit?Link
      What Is The Thread Size for the Shifter On a 2.0?Link
      ---------------=Other & Maintenance=------------------------------------------------
      changing fuel filter
      How Do I Hook-Up an Air Fuel Gauge?Link
      How Do I Hook-Up an Oil Pressure Gauge?Link
      Where Are the Intake Heatshield Instructions?Link
      How to make a heat shield:Link
      -----------------=European Mods or other----------------------------------------------
      European Radiator Support - est. time to complete: 4:00 hrs
      European bumpers – est. time to complete: 2:00-3:00 hrs (depending on how you choose to install rear rebar)
      European Headlights - est. time to complete: 3:00 hrs
      How to install a Euro switchLink
      Swapping in the rear Euro license plate frame/tub:Link
      end of page
      Link
      Link
      Link
      Link

Have fun.
      Modified by abtvento at 1:13 PM 11-19-2004

Modified by jhayesvw at 6:36 AM 10-17-2006

Vehicles
      81 caddy, 98 golf
      11-15-2002 09:37 AM #2
      The easiest way to remove DRL's (Daytime Running Lights), is to simply cut the wire for pin #15 (yellow wire).
      edit: this is on the connector to the back of the headlight switch. If you don't want to cut it, simply cover the pin with electrical tape.

Vehicles
      81 caddy, 98 golf
      11-15-2002 09:43 AM #3
      A mk4 cabrio (99+) guage cluster works exactally the same as any other obdII cluster (except the vr6). Thus the swap is the same as if you had a 97 gti 2.0 cluster.

Vehicles
      81 caddy, 98 golf
      11-15-2002 09:48 AM #4
      left hand door handles will work on the right of your car and the same is for the reverse. (outer door handles). this is important if you want your handles to look new again, just swap them from left to right. if you have a 98+ then you only have a key hole in your drivers door so that isn't your best option for the drivers door.

Vehicles
      A3 2.0T, JETTA 1.8T
      11-15-2002 09:48 AM #5
      To FIND information on the "D.I.Y Thread" hit CTRL F and use the search function on your Internet Explorer Browser to scan this page.

Vehicles
      81 caddy, 98 golf
      11-15-2002 09:53 AM #6
      If you want to take off your golf/gti rear glass spoiler, pop your trunk and there are 3 nuts to remove at the top of the glass. Once off just pull hard at the spoiler will come off, then you will have to remove the goo and fill the holes. I used black calking to fill the holes in mine, works great and looks better than caps. [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

edit: if your 3rd brake light is in the spoiler then you can get pulled over. a center brake light has been a US standard sence 1986. so this would be for offroad uses only for 96 and earlier models.

11-15-2002 10:52 AM #7
      FYI for Cutting/Shortening shifter
      Here's the link with detailed instructions and pics!
      http://www.icbm.org/erkson/personal/...shortening.htm

8. 11-15-2002 10:56 AM #8
      another way to eliminate DRLs (daytime running lights) is to put tape over the TFL pin on the back of the headlight switch. this method will not diable the "BRAKE" light below the speedometer.
      1) pop off the plastic piece to the left of the headlight switch with a screwdriver
      2) reach in the hole and feel for the tab on the top left of the headlight switch unit. push that tab and pull out on the swtich unit at the same time.
      3) remove the plug from the swtich.
      4) look at the chart on the back of the switch to locate the TFL pin. cut a piece of electrical tape and put it over the pin
      5) reassemble and enjoy!

Vehicles
      92 Jetta Carat VR6, 01 4runner,89 NT650 GT, 99 Indian Chief
      11-15-2002 11:19 AM #9
      Here is the link to my Switchblade how-to website.
      Just some quick answers to common questions about the switchblade:
      Q. Where can I get a switchblade key?
      A. There are tons of them available on eBay or if your rich you can get them from the dealer.
      Q. Can I send you my switchblade key and have you modify it and send it back to me?
      A. Sorry, i don't readily have these tools available to me anymore at this time.
      Q. Can the buttons be programmed to work with my MkIII keyless entry system?
      A.The MkIII and MkIV use different electronics. The remotes are currently not compatible with the MkIII keyless entry system.
      Q. Can the electronics be modified to work? Can I just swap the guts of the remotes?
      A.This all depends on your skill..i guess it could be done but you would most likely have to start out with a blank PCB board and begin soldering all of the components onto it. I suck at soldering..so I cannot do it for you.
      Q. Will this work for other cars besides the MkIII? IE: MkII, MkI...etc
      A.I don't see why not. As long as you cut away enough material to fit the key into the switchblade than it should work. Remember the key can only be so long though. There must be enough room for it to fold back into the switchblade
      This FAQ for the switchblade will be updated as soon as I think of more questions that I usually get asked. Good luck!
      Suggestion #1 from Cabrio1.8T
      To get the roll pin out, I went to the mall to one of the watch kiosks where they resize watches. They did it for free. For those who do not have a tiny drill bit, use the dremel to put a notch do the key to hold it in.
      Very good ideas. Thanks Cabrio 1.8T

Modified by Sebeck1 at 8:23 PM 9-21-2003

10. 11-15-2002 11:21 AM #10
      to swiss cheese your box check out this link:
      http://www.reimundez.com/vwmods/mods...eseairbox.html

11. 11-15-2002 11:24 AM #11
      Fixing Your Non-clip-on Door Moldings
      If your door moldings are starting to come off, you can remove them with a heatgun/hairdryer and some rope. Use the heatgun to warm up the tape that's holding it on, then use the rope to "saw" the molding off, or just pull it off with your hands.
      Make sure you clean off all the adhesive from the back of the molding, as well as the surface of the door. After peeling off all the adhesive (Goo-Gone works well) make sure both surfaces are extra clean with rubbing alcohol.
      Use 3M VHB (Very High Bond) double stick tape. It's sold in small rolls, it's about 1/2" wide and has red backing. The tape itself is grey-ish in color. Apply two strips of the tape to the back side of the molding (top and bottom) and then stick your molding back into the door. It wouldn't hurt to heat up the tape with your hairdryer before sticking it on. It's a good idea to have a friend help you line up the molding straight against the door. If you cleaned everything as well as you should have, this will be as good as the factory application.
      If you don't want to deal with all of this mess, simply pull off your moldings as mentioned, and buy the clip-on molding from someone, Potter, for example.

12. 11-15-2002 11:28 AM #12
      Removing Factory Sideskirts (all models except Cabrio)
      The factory sideskirts are held in with about 6 screws that go underneath the skirts. They are philip's head screws, and they attach the skirt to a little strip of metal that hangs down from underneath the car.
      After removing the screws underneath, you will have to remove the rivets that are on either end, in the wheels wells. Either use a drill to take them out, or you can use a hammer/chisel to break off the head, and pop out the lower piece.
      Finally, after all screws/rivets are removed, the skirts will peel off from the car, after which you will have to remove the adhesive. I recommend Spray-On Goo Gone, but any adhesive remover will work. Make sure you get all of it off, and then polish/wax the paint that is exposed underneath, as it has not seen the outside since the car was built.

13. 11-15-2002 12:10 PM #13

Vehicles
      2010/VW/Passat - 2014/VW/Touareg
      11-15-2002 12:26 PM #14

15. 11-15-2002 12:33 PM #15
      Debadging
      All factory badges on A3 Volkswagens are held on with double stick tape, except the center mounted grille badge, which is held on with clips. To remove the factory badging, heat up the adhesive with a heatgun/hairdryer, and use dental floss/fishing line to "saw" off the badge. Then use adhesive remover to get rid of the gunk that's remaining on the car. Make sure to polish/wax the newly exposed paint.
      Also, although the center rear "VW" badge is held on with double stick tape, it is placed in a recess in the trunk/hatch, so make note of this before trying to remove it. It will not look good if you remove the badge, and then leave it like that.
      Any non-factory badges (dealer, repair shop, etc) I can't account for.
      [edit]: I've just been informed that early Mk3's, specifically 1994 may have small clips that hold in the rear badges, so you may want to check for that if you're going to debadge the rear. Thanks to enos for the info.

Modified by iamdoingthat at 11:34 AM 11-20-2003

16. 11-15-2002 12:52 PM #16
      CatBack Exhaust
      http://www.vwenthusiast.com/technica...h.exhaust.html
      Timing Belt on a 2.0
      http://www.vwenthusiast.com/technica...imingbelt.html
      These aren't mine.. I found them on the internet.

Vehicles
      '11 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
      11-15-2002 12:58 PM #17
      Changing Spark Plugs on a 2.0
      Tools: VW Plug Wire puller or a pair of long needle nose pliers. Spark plug socket. Socket wrench. 6" extension and u-joint adapter (not required but it helps). Small brush or compressed air source. Anti-sieze compound
      The Procedure
      1. Note where all your plug wires go before removing them. Write it down, I'll wait... Remove plug wires. Be careful if using needle nose pliers. ONLY grab the metal shield.
      2. Brush or blow away any dirt that has collected around the plugs. Remove plugs. The fuel injectors can be removed for more clearance, but it is not required.
      3. Gap your new spark plugs and put a little anti-sieze compound on the threads and tighten the plugs down.
      4. Reinstall the spark plug wires and start the car (put some dielectric grease in the plug boots)
      You're done (and you didn't have to remove the manifold)

18. 11-15-2002 12:59 PM #18
      VR6 Throttle body coolant line bypass,
      use a 3/8" barbed union to tee off the coolant lines that run into the throttle body, no more hot coolant heating up the intake charge.

Vehicles
      2015 Subaru WRX Limited; 2015 Audi A3 Premium Sedan
      11-15-2002 01:07 PM #19
      My steering wheel is making a scratchy or gritty noise when I turn the wheel...what's going on?
      quote:
      yes exactly....it sounds just like sand paper on plastic!
      It's a combination of shavings from the horn contact (net enough lubricant or grease) and dust and dirt. If you feel confident in taking off the wheel...clean off the dust and dirt and shavings, and grease the horn contact and the ring behind the steering wheel with a light coat of 3M Dielectric Tune-Up Grease (part no. 051135-08770). I got mine at the dealer for maybe $5.00 This should clear up that problem at least until it's time for another greasing and cleaning.

--
      http://cabrios.20m.com/tuning/lighting_rearfog.htm
      --
      Cheap tail light tinting or smoking
      Use 1/8" black pinstripe tape (available in most auto parts stores, I got mine at either PepBoys or Kragen) and tape over the area of the tail light you want smoked. With a steady hand and even spacing...you can simulate the look of what the factory does on it's GTI smoked tail lights. I did this on the top half of my GTI lights to make the orange signals less orange and also to the lower half of my clear tails now to make the bottom look more smoked red.

--
      Mk3 Cigarette Lighter fix
      Cigarette lighter not working and you checked all your fuses? Did you really check all of them? There is another sneaky fuse on top of the fuse box under black electrical tape. Drop the fuse box down. Remove the electrical tape and there is a 15 amp fuse there. Replace it with a new one and retape it to secure the fuse (it's kinda loose in the socket).

--
      PIAA Ion Crystal and MaxGold bulbs are good yellow bulbs for fogs and headlights
      Yellow headlights are legal under California Vehicle Code #25950
      quote:
      25950. This section applies to the color of lamps and to any
      reflector exhibiting or reflecting perceptible light of 0.05 candela
      or more per foot-candle of incident illumination. Unless provided
      otherwise, the color of lamps and reflectors upon a vehicle shall be
      as follows:
      (a) The emitted light from all lamps and the reflected light from
      all reflectors, visible from in front of a vehicle, shall be white or
      yellow, except as follows:
      (1) Rear side marker lamps required by Section 25100 may show red
      to the front.
      (2) The color of foglamps described in Section 24403 may be in the
      color spectrum from white to yellow.
      (b) The emitted light from all lamps and the reflected light from
      all reflectors, visible from the rear of a vehicle, shall be red
      except as follows:
      (1) Stoplamps on vehicles manufactured before January 1, 1979, may
      show yellow to the rear.
      (2) Turn signal lamps may show yellow to the rear.
      (3) Front side marker lamps required by Section 25100 may show
      yellow to the rear.
      (4) Backup lamps shall show white to the rear.
      (5) The rearward facing portion of any front-mounted double-faced
      turn signal lamp may show amber to the rear while the headlamps or
      parking lamps are lighted, if the intensity of the light emitted is
      not greater than the parking lamps and the turn signal function is
      not impaired.
      (6) Reflectors meeting the requirements of and installed in
      accordance with Section 24611 shall be red or white, or both.
      (c) All lamps and reflectors visible from the front, sides, or
      rear of a vehicle, except headlamps, may have any unlighted color,
      provided the emitted light from all lamps or reflected light from all
      reflectors complies with the required color. Except for backup
      lamps, the entire effective projected luminous area of lamps visible
      from the rear or mounted on the sides near the rear of a vehicle
      shall be covered by an inner lens of the required color when the
      unlighted color differs from the required emitted light color.
      Taillamps, stoplamps, and turn signal lamps that are visible to the
      rear may be white when unlighted on vehicles manufactured before
      January 1, 1974.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc25950.htm
      http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/wa...ction=retrieve
      PIAA Ion Crystal (H3):

Max Gold (H7) http://www.autoi.com/ :

quote:
      Definately the Piaa Ions. IMHO they seem to have better light output and a more useful color than the Osram All-Weahters and the Yellowstars. I've had all 3 bulbs in my log fogs............
      [By 1a3trek, 5:59 PM 12-12-2002]

--

GIAC (Garrett) chips is one of the best performing chips out there, dyno proven:
      http://cabrios.20m.com/tuning/1997_c...no_results.htm
      --
      Various manufacturers camshaft specs for 2.0L 8v motors:
      http://cabrios.20m.com/tuning/camshaft.htm
      https://www.techtonicstuning.com/cams.asp
      --
      Mk3 VR6 spring and shock combos will fit 2.0L cars if you use the VR6 strut bearings and bushings
      • Waterpumper has a VR6 H&R Cup Kit 60/40 on his Cabrio
      • I have a VR6 Weitec TX 50/50 on my Cabrio
      --
      Can I see an ABD Big-Bore Intake / or is it worth it?
      Here's my standard repsonse when these topics come up. It was discussed recently on 10/28/2002:
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=562066
      It makes the throttle response snappier and the air flows better through the midrange and top end. If you expect to see huge gains on a dyno printout, it's not going to happen. But if you want to help the overall picture of tuning your intake, along with a cam and other stuff to let your motor breathe better, then it does help. The sum of all your tuning parts are what's going to make you power, not just a couple pieces here and there.
      Many people also have fitment issues as the intake sits too close to the shock tower. I easily remedied the situation by apoxying a small rubber foot where the intake meets the tower...viola! No more rattling.
      I like mine...don't think it's worthless at all.

--
      Headers and exhaust systems 2.5" diameter and larger are NOT too big for properly tuned 2.0L 8v motors and do NOT take away your torque. This is Vortex myth.
      It actually allows good flow past 3,000rpm in conjunction with an intake, cam, cam gear and chip. Some of the stronger 2.0L's on here have 2.5" exhausts and/or headers and aren't lacking in torque or power.
      It does make the exhaust tone very deep and bassy. The absence of quality mufflers are what make the exhaust noisy, not diameter. Diameter effects tone, not volume. I have a 2.8" exhaust, it has 3 straight-thru mufflers to keep it quiet (forward, center suitcase and rear), but it still let's itself be heard at WOT. I have plenty of low end torque and great gains throughout the powerband.
      http://cabrios.20m.com/graphics/bran...run_102001.jpg
      http://cabrios.20m.com/tuning/1997_c...no_results.htm
      --
      What headers are available for the Mk3 2.0L 8v?
      This topic seems to comes up all the time. I am still hunting for either better shots or from manufacturers I am missing, like Toucan Industries/Ractive or a nicer looking Brospeed/Bosal unit than the used rusty one from eBay. If you guys have any others, please contact me at: domozitolk@earthlink.net or IM me here on Vortex. I am compiling these for my website.
      As a general rule when choosing a header, the 4-2-1 header is good for midrange and topend gains, while the 4-1 header are good for topend gains only.
      Oh well...here they are:
      Brospeed 8v

COX Motorsport 8v header (Japan)

Hartmann Motorsport 8v

Neuspeed 8v

OBX Racing Sport 8v

Oettinger 16v (but Mk3 8v is listed in ad)

S&S 8v

Supersprint 8v

[Modified by DomozitoLK, 11:57 AM 12-13-2002]

20. Member
      Vehicles
      2014 GLI Edition 30
      11-15-2002 01:21 PM #20
      Air Condition Light
      Pop off the climate control cover with a flathead
      Pop off diffuser ring behing the word 'Air Condition'
      Pull off tape behind 'Air Condition'
      Put everything back

Vehicles
      2013 The Beetle, 2009 Genuine Stella 2T
      11-15-2002 01:35 PM #21
      another faded doorhandle solution!
      to re-blacked them, makes them look factory fresh again [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?&id=557670

22. 11-15-2002 01:38 PM #22
      Another way to disable DRLs
      According to pottermans, on 1995 - early 1996 cars, remove relay 94

23. 11-15-2002 01:40 PM #23
      For DIY for Serpentine belt, Brake pads, Tinting Lights, Exhaust Install
      http://forums.dubr.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=5

24. Banned
      11-15-2002 01:42 PM #24
      The easiest way to disconnet the day time running lights is to pull down the fuse box by pushing back the 2 white retainers on each side. then lifting the fuse box up and out of the way. then look behing the fuse box and youll see on single pin connector its a yellow wire just unplug it and no more Daytime running lights. it takes 15 minutes tops and is reversible at anytime by just plugging the wire back together. this is far better then any cutting.

Vehicles
      CC & Vanagon Westy
      11-15-2002 03:05 PM #25
      Programming Keyless Entry Remotes
      1. Put your spare key into the ignition and put it onto the ON position, DONT start the car
      2. Close your door. In the drivers side, turn the key to the left (unlock
      position) and hold it.
      3. It will beep 3 times. Let go to the key so it sits in the lock.
      4. With each of your new remotes, separately, press the unlock button, each
      button will cause a "HONK"
      5. Turn the key to the left again until it beeps.
      6. PROGRAMMED
      keyless entry information: http://www.geocities.com/golfsport95..._entry_FAQ.htm

For advertising information click HERE

Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast