VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

The "Official" DIY/FAQ MkIII Post

936K views 489 replies 349 participants last post by  KelvinQ 
#1 ·
By popular request here it is.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please **ONLY** post the information you have and **NOT** debate it within the thread. If you do I'll delete the posts in order to save the thread.
If you have a question about something in the FAQ please post in the forums and DO NOT post it in the FAQ or it will be deleted.
Please make sure the "Append signature to this post" box is NOT checked before posting.
----------------FYI Basics on car stuff Facts etc---------------------------
Tire Size Calculator
everyone wants to know about Octane Boosters!
Do you havea DE?
Drivers editions were made in 1997 only info
Vortex mythHeaders and exhaust systems 2.5" diameter and larger are NOT too big for properly tuned 2.0L 8v motors and do NOT take away your torque.
What's the difference between OBDI & OBDII
Do I have OBDI or OBDII?
Suspension TuningLiink
Another great MkIII/A3 resource Link
The Hidden TachLink
MKIII Display diagnostics how to...Link
Link
the differences in all models/trims/editions of jettasLinkLinkLinkLink
----------------Lighting and external electrics-----------------
The easiest way to remove DRL's (Daytime Running Lights)
*another way to eliminate DRLs (daytime running lights)
*Another way to disable DRLs
*The easiest way to disconnet the day time running lights
Enabling Rear Fog Light on US-Spec Mk3 Golf
Cheap tail light tinting or smoking
PIAA Ion Crystal and MaxGold bulbs are good yellow bulbs for fogs and headlights
Air Condition Light
European Headlights - est. time to complete: 3:00 hrs
wiring up MK4 look or e-codes
The best instructions for a installing the rear foglight on a golf:
How to add a jumper / bridge to enable high / low beams with fogs:Link
How to enable the rear fog light on a Jetta.Link
Bulb Types for Dual-Chambered Lights and FogsLink
Bulb Types for other headlamps/lightsLink
----------------Interior related how to's and modifications------------
mk4 cabrio (99+) guage cluster swap
My steering wheel is making a scratchy or gritty noise when I turn the wheel...what's going on?
Mk3 Cigarette Lighter fix
Programming Keyless Entry Remotes
How to fix your door-lock if you turn it and nothing happens, or it comes out...
FYI for Cutting/Shortening shifter
How to's on switchblade keys
removing door panels
2.0 Push-Button Start howto: (might be same on vr6)
Installing TT pedalsLink
How to install a Euro switchLink
One-Touch Sunroof Open (Back only, not up)LInkLink
How to take out the needles on the instrument clusterLinkLink
What Is The Thread Size for the Shifter On a 2.0?Link
Trunk Light for OBDI Cars Link
Trunk LightLink
Retrofit GloveboxLink
Remote Keyless EntryLink
MKIV Knob/Boot in a MKIII Link
----------------Brakes and Suspension------------------------------------
explanation of a Suspension Install
Mk3 VR6 spring and shock combos will fit 2.0L cars if you use the VR6 strut bearings and bushings
98+ Jettas have different front brakes
Canadian GTI Rear Strut Bar Polish modLink

----------------Bodywork, Painting, exteriors, wheels----------------
left hand door handles will work on the right of your car
how to take off your golf/gti rear glass spoiler
Fixing Your Non-clip-on Door Moldings
Debadging
Removing Factory Sideskirts (all models except Cabrio)
easiest, cheapest hood struts
Ghetto HoodliftsLink
another faded doorhandle solution
"Where do I get spacers/adapters to go from 4x100 to 5x100"
European bumpers – est. time to complete: 2:00-3:00 hrs (depending on how you choose to install rear rebar)
How to Polish ALL Aluminums..Link
My How-To for DIY Painted Door Handles Link
Fixing Your Non-clip-on Door MoldingsLink
(93-95) How to delete your passenger side keyholeLink
Blackend VW EmblemLink
How to add a Blue and White emblem to the back.Link
Painting parts of your engine bay.Link
How to clean wax and stuff off textured plastic.Link
"Help" on installing Euro VR6 Lip Link
Swapping in the rear Euro license plate frame/tub:Link
Installing the Bonrath Mono-wiper:Link
CL style plugged rear wiper for mk3 golf's and gti'sLink
VW accessory lower grille coversLink
Fuba InstallLink
How to paint your 2.0 inatake manifoldLink
SEAT Toledo Lip Spoiler InstallLink
----------------=Engine and Exhaust=------------------------------------------------
Performance:
GIAC (Garrett) chips is one of the best performing chips out there, dyno proven:
to swiss cheese your air box
CatBack Exhaust
VR6 Throttle body coolant line bypass,
Various manufacturers camshaft specs for 2.0L 8v motors:
Can I see an ABD Big-Bore Intake / or is it worth it?
What headers are available for the Mk3 2.0L 8v?
Modifying the air box for better performance as well as the real story about the Air Temperture Control system Link
Another Airbox Mod
Link
Maintenance or how-to:
Changing Spark Plugs on a 2.0
Timing Belt on a 2.0
Serpentine belt, Brake pads, Tinting Lights, Exhaust Install
Easy VR6 Upper Intake Manifold RemovalLink

--------------------=Transmission & Clutch=-----------------------------------------
How Do I Install my Short Shift Kit?Link
What Is The Thread Size for the Shifter On a 2.0?Link
---------------=Other & Maintenance=------------------------------------------------
changing fuel filter
How Do I Hook-Up an Air Fuel Gauge?Link
How Do I Hook-Up an Oil Pressure Gauge?Link
Where Are the Intake Heatshield Instructions?Link
How to make a heat shield:Link
-----------------=European Mods or other----------------------------------------------
European Radiator Support - est. time to complete: 4:00 hrs
European bumpers – est. time to complete: 2:00-3:00 hrs (depending on how you choose to install rear rebar)
European Headlights - est. time to complete: 3:00 hrs
Enabling Rear Fog Light on US-Spec Mk3 Golf
How to install a Euro switchLink
Swapping in the rear Euro license plate frame/tub:Link
end of page
Link
Link
Link
Link

Have fun.

Modified by abtvento at 1:13 PM 11-19-2004

Modified by jhayesvw at 6:36 AM 10-17-2006

See less See more
#302 ·
Non work tach-spedo

All information taken from- http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1984018
Try these steps:
1) It is possible that the plugs in the back of the cluster are loose, check the connections at the back
2) Do you have a clock and odo? If you can't see those either, it might be a fuse. Check the owners manual and replace the fuse if necessary
3) Try checking the relays above the wiring harness
4) Check your ground on your engine harness to see if it disconected, if it is disconected there will be no power to the cluster. Also check the grounds on the back of the intake manifold.
5) Replace the speed sensor located in the tranny (8$)
6) Last resort... take it in to your mechanic or dealership.

#303 ·
All-paper cone style air filter for VR6

For those of you who love having a cone style filter instead of an airbox, but hate having to deal with a K&N style filter (due to oil, etc.) I have a solution: Go to NAPA and get yourself a # 2726 PAPER cone style filter. Worked great with my intake setup and provided equal if not better performance. When it gets dirty, throw it away and buy another. They run about $26
UPDATE: After running this mod for almost a year, I continue to be pleased with it. The maintenance has been nill. I recently switched to a new, freshly oiled K&N style filter just to see if I had lost anything. Car ran exactly the same so I switched back to (almost) year-old paper filter.

Modified by brettpep at 9:34 AM 7-14-2006

#305 ·
Re: The "Official" DIY/FAQ MkIII Post (DaveNY)

Quote, originally posted by DaveNY »
How to fix your door-lock if you turn it and nothing happens, or it comes out...
the following applies to the hook on the back of the tumbler breaking off on older A3's: it's not hard to fix yourself. the part that broke has been changed in later years, so, in order to "retro-fit" it to your car you need to go buy these parts:
1HM-837-061-B "Lock Cyl" $12.21
1HM-837-223-B "Eccentric" $2.27
1HM-837-237-B "Trim Plate" $2.32
So what you do is take off your door handle by removing the bolt on the side of your door, it lines up with the handle. Then slide your handle towards the front of the car, and pull out, it will pop out, now, put your key in, turn it a bit, and pull out the whole mechanism...key cylinder and the attached pieces (you may have to pull the metal piece that broke off. It's the sloted thing with the hook on the end. The hook is the weak part that was re-made, but the thing is, you have to change the cylinder because the old hole is to small for the new hook.) Now, go sit down and lay the parts out. You need to take the slats and springs out of the old cylinder and place them in the new one the same way. Use a pin to get the springs out. Place them in the new one in the same order and then grease it all up with some light lithium grease. Put the cylinder, spring clip, handle, and hook piece back together. I'd recommend testing the new cylinder before putting it in your car . It's really easy to do.
The best instructions for a installing the rear foglight on a golf:
http://webpages.charter.net/dub-style/rearfog/rearfog.html

Just to let you know, VW changed the part numbers a little on these...
Lock Cylinder - 1HM-837-061-B
Excentric 1HO - 837-223-B
"Trim Plate" is now called "Carrier" - 1HO-837-237-D
The numbers of the springs you may or may not need are"
1HO-837-245 (Spring on carrier/trim plate)
1HO-837-229-B (pressure spring that holds the hook into the carrier/trim plate)

#306 ·
Re: The "Official" DIY/FAQ MkIII Post (huckedup16)

Volkswagen Passat (B3) Dome Light Swap
One night, it struck me silly - the dome light of the B3 Passat, this kind of one;

...fit right into the existing hole for the dome light on my MK3. The B3 dome light features the larger rectangular light as well as an angled map light for the driver. I had to install it.
1. Remove the fuse in the second to last position in the fuse box. It controls the clock on the instrument cluster, central locking (if you have it), as well as the compartment lights. When I installed this I didn't, and the last thing I checked when diagnosing the problem was the fuse.
2. Cut the wires leading to the MK3 dome light, but leave enough for you to work with. There should be 3 different ones, white/brown, brown, and black/red.

3. You will need the connector for the B3 dome light from the Passat, so don't forget it when you are taking it out of the car and the wreckers. The B3 light has 4 wires coming out of the connector, brown, brown/white, red, and black/yellow.
Match them up like so, with insulated wiring connectors
((MK3)) ((B3))
BROWN ---- BROWN
BROWN/WHITE ----- BROWN/WHITE
RED/BLACK --- RED and BLACK/YELLOW
If you do not insulate the connections, they will rub and blow the fuse.

4. Replace the fuse in the fusebox. Gently tap the B3 dome light into the headliner.

5. Enjoy!

#309 ·
Replacing the Suitcase!

Tired of your heavey suitcase (center muffler)? Try a NAPA# 22492 or WALKER# 22492 and have someone weld some pipe for you. It's a short resonator for a Nissan 240sx. It takes the place of the suitcase muffler, its about 10-12" long.
I did this and loved it. I gave the info to a guy on the Passat forum and he loved it. Very reasonable solution cost-wise.

#313 ·
e Ultimate How To Replace Your Power Window Regulator Tutorial!

The Ultimate How To Replace Your Power Window Regulator Tutorial!
Replacing That Broken Window Regulator
Complete Tutorial with digital pix to walk you through the install. The primary source of this information: http://www.ohiovw.com/tools/regulator/default.asp
I want to give them credit for their great work. I just added serveral observations and tips to make the install even easier. If you can turn a screwdriver, cut off electrical tape, and disconnect a wiring harness, you can install your own regulator. Don't pay a shop $200-300 to do it!
If you want everything to work right and fit tight, it's a three hour job. I'd rather do it right than say I did in two hours - so don't rush. I just replaced my front passenger side regulator - so I wanted to share with fellow vortexers.
Buy a $50 or 60regulator off of eBay. Some of the Taiwanese copies appear to have better designs than OEM and the OEMs are $110. For that price you could replace another regulator!
Any questions, IM or email me.

Modified by jtdunc at 3:34 PM 7-6-2005

Modified by jtdunc at 3:54 PM 7-6-2005

#314 ·
ZWOOBAH on offsets

Quote, originally posted by Zwoobah »
offsets are relative to the centerline of the wheel. a lower offset means the wheel will stick out the side of the car farther. a wheel with an offset of 0 (et0) means the bolt surface is exactly in the middle of the wheel, width-wise. if you have a wheel with a +45mm offset (aka et45), the bolt surface of the wheel is offset 45mm to the outside of the wheel's center (the wheel will be pulled in closer to the center of the car). If you have a wheel with an offset of -12mm (et-12), the bolting surface will be offset 12mm to the inside of the wheel's centerline (the wheel will stick out of the fender more than a wheel with et0).
now, the problem is, the offset that will work on a particular car changes anytime the width of the wheel changes, because the offset is relative to the width of the wheel itself. for instance, a stock mk3 14x6" wheel uses an offset of 45. but my 16x7.5" Abts use an offset of 35, and sit in about the same location under the fenders as the stockies. because the whole wheel is wider, the offset that works on my car changes. basically, as you go wider on the wheels, you need to go with a lower offset to move the wheels outward, so the wider wheel doesn't hit your suspension.

the other common misunderstanding is spacers. If you start with a wheel of et45 and add a 25mm spacer, you end up with a net offset of et20 (poking the wheels OUT further). it is physically impossible to use spacers to end up with a higher offset.
hope that helps

#316 ·
Airhorns, Turn Signal Mod (easier than the website..)

How to add air horns, and keep your stockers.. I just did this, very VERY LOUD!!!! (Hella twin horn air compressor setup..)

Left light, side marker flash mod...

Right side turn signal marker flash..

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by Dan J Reed at 7:15 PM 5-29-2007

#317 ·
MKIV seats in MKIII

Well i finally got my seats in, i was going to sell them, but ended up doing the work needed to get them in. So here is a little DIY for all the peeps out there.
First start with getting the little wheels to fit in the sliders. You have to ground down about half way. Also need to grind off the little "guide" wheels (at least i did). As well as shim the bolt that holds the seat-belt deally.

After you get the seat to slide up and down the track freely, you need to grind down, or cut off the Front MKIII bracket.

then get the MKIV bracket all lined up with the seat, and weld in place.

Got one seat in, and moving....

Then i grinded or sanded the welds a bit to clean it up, and added a coat of black primer to seal it all up. Then put everything back in and enjoy.....

Better pics will follow when i get more time.

Ohh and the car

#319 ·
Re: The "Official" DIY/FAQ MkIII Post (toddbumpa)

MY DIY PAGE -
http://faculty.ccp.edu/faculty...x.htm
Dan's Jetta/Golf MKIII Help page.
Brakes:
How To: Front Disk 2.0 Brakes
How To: REAR Disk 2.0 Brakes
DIY - Parking Brakes
Interior / Electrical
DIY - Central Locking Mod
DIY - Airhorns and Euro Turn Signal Mod
DIY - Short Shifter - Cutting the Stock Shifter
DIY - Installing Satellite Radio
DIY - Installing a Satellite Radio Antenna to a roof mount Fuba base.
Optima Battery Install
Dash Cluster Diagnosis
DIY - Front Speaker Install (again, no biggie..)
Keyless Entry/Alarm Install Information
Engine
DIY - Air Box Mod (w/Pics) (also good link)
DIY - Air/Fuel Ratio Gauge
Tech Info - Sensors and so on...
Why I no longer use Bosch Platinum plugs and aftermarket wires
DIY- 2.0 Cooling System Maint and T-stat
2.0 Vacuum Diagrams
P1582 Help
Suspension
Poly lower control arm and sway bar bushings
Trans
DIY 2.0 Manual Gearbox (020 trans) oil change, and what fluids NOT to use...
2.0 Shifter Help/Linkage Rebuild
DIY - Custom made short shifter (for real).
01M Trans Fluid change and Tips
Body
Side Molding Repair
How To: Lower Glove box (96' and lower)
How To: Lower Rad Support
DIY - Debadge (remove emblems)
DIY - Puttin' a much cooler emblem back on..
DIY - Momo Pedal Install (hardly a big deal...)
DIY- Fuba Gasket Base Install (Golf)
A/C System Help
Passenger side water leak on the floor with A/C on fix;
Sites not by me, but good links.
Where to buy "hot rod" VW parts
"The" Book you need to fix your VW
Free electrical schematics for most VW products
MK IV "Look" Headlights install - Golf.
Door card removal (Also how to replace the regulator)
Great radio/stereo install directions!
Tire Size Program Calculator (download)
OBDI VW Blink Codes
OBDI VW Blink Codes (Factory TSB)
The DIY Group
Toby's great DIY page
T-Belt 2.0 Change
Library of things GTI VR6 (A3/Mk3 & Mk4)

Modified by Dan J Reed at 2:41 PM 6-16-2006

#321 ·
DIY Glovebox - TIPS

Hey all, just added a Glovebox to my 95 Golf. Its sweet.
I used this site - http://matndahat.dhs.org/jetta/glovebox.htm - Read this first, there may be some legal issues

Anyhow, I just thought I'd add a few tips for the DIYers.
1 - No need to use a grinder, dremel, or torch
to cut out the old knee-brace. I used some Weiss Tin Snips. Worked great with a few tugs from a pair of large pliers.
2 - Make sure you reinstall the lowerairbag cover screws - they won't hold the new glovebox in, but you have to remove them to take off the old knee cover. They are 8mm, a deep socket works well on a 1/4 drive ratchet. You'll have to use the socket at an angle and crush part of the old knee brace. Don't worry if you change your mind, its will flex back. Reinstall these screws BEFORE you install you glovebox as it will cover these important bolts back up.
3 - Make sure you get a LOWER glove box, not an upper one.
4 - Expect to pay anywhere from $40-$90 off E-bay or here, make sure it comes with the color you want. They come is "beaver" (gray) and black.
5 - Your key won't work in the "new" latch.
6 - There is no light, you are on your own for this one.
7 - The screw in the far left hand corner (lower) didn't line up on my 95.
But I got 4 other screws in it, and its fine.
8 - To drill the 3 holes, here's a secret. Open the glove box, and push in on both sides of the door to slip it past the bump stops. The box drops all the way down, and you can easilly get a cordless drill and a center punch to get the holes perfect, no double install like the DIY at the top of the post says. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Edit -
By some cool twist of good karma for this post - MY KEY DOES FIT THE BOX!!! HAHAHAH!!!! See, good things can happen!

Modified by Dan J Reed at 3:36 AM 8-6-2005

#324 ·
Re: The "Official" DIY/FAQ MkIII Post (Clean97GTi)

Here's a slightly better idea. Using any kind of pliers or even a wire puller will almost always result in a broken wire, and those things ain't
cheap! Find a Long, thick flat-head screwdriver. place it at the bottom
of the plug wire and use it to "pop" the boot off the plug. It might take a couple of tries, but it works like a charm. Pull very lightly on the wire to help if needed. Since space is extremely limited for even the smallest hands, The metal parts of the boots have little fins that stick out, place the boot on the plug as best as you can, and, using the screwdriver, push down on the boot to pop it on.

#325 ·
Re: The "Official" DIY/FAQ MkIII Post (David@vwvortex)

Re-soldering the cluster to fix a broken speedometer
Thought I'd post this up in case other people have the same problem:
Last May, the speedo in my GLX started cutting out intermittently, like when I'd hit a bump. It'd come back, but then cut out again. I racked up maybe 400 mi w/ out it or the odo working at all.
Back in early June, I took the cluster out and took it apart and put it back together w/out really doing much else. Put it back in the car, and the problem seemed to be gone. Then, in July, it'd cut out once or twice at random and come back again . It would jump around every now and then, or when I'd tap the cluster while driving, but wasn't cutting out completely. It's been doing that at random ever since.
Yesterday I decided to take it apart again and see if I could find a loose connection or something that could be causing this.
Found it! This big blue resistor was the problem. It's near the speedo; there's another one on the other side by the tach.

The resistor wobbled when I pushed on it, and turning the cluster around, I saw the solder on both of it's posts was cracked.
It's the two posts right in the middle here. You can kind of see a ring around the top one, where the solder was broken:

Here's a couple pics after I re-soldered both the posts:

I've never soldered a board but it turned out well. So far, so good. Needle doesn't jump around anymore when I tap the cluster. I'm real happy I found this, and that I didn't pay $300 or something for a new cluster...

Edit: A year after doing this, my tach started cutting out again. Took the cluster out again, and touched up the solder on the pins of the wiring harness connectors on the circuit board, and that solved it. No pics though.

Modified by mhjett at 12:04 AM 6-25-2007

#326 ·
They are capacitors and not resistors... but good find.
BTW: that is called a dry solder joint... where the solder did not join the pin to the board contact. Harder to find are dry solder joints with cracks as with heat thay can expand and cause a short but work fine when cool.
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.