Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Scratches on Car Window Tint

Vehicles
      2012 Jetta TDI Highline
      10-16-2012 12:45 PM #1
      I decided to post this thread here to see if maybe anyone else might have encountered the same problem as I have recently regarding their window tint. In August of this year I had my '12 Jetta tinted at Auto Links in Scarborough and went with the Pinnacle® Series. I've heard good reviews about the place and after doing my research I went for it.

Leading from that point up to now I have followed all their instructions to make sure the tint properly binds to the car windows and I am quite impressed with how there has been no bubbling etc. up to this point. However, after rolling the car windows down a few times all the way I have already noticed that there are scratches forming on both the windows (driver side and front passenger side) accumulating close to the side mirrors and nowhere else.

At this point I am baffled as to why this specific area is scratching and can't see a reason as to why this is happening

Has anyone had a similar experience with their VW's or know why this could be taking place?

10-16-2012 04:33 PM #2
      Speaking from experience - check for little stones wedged between window seal and tint.
      My tint is 11 years old and has faded to nuthin'.
      1995 Flash Red GTI 2.8 -<< Not Bagged! - only OEM+ >> I will never be cool like the other kids.
      My new dd is a '10 PWagon, 2.0T, DSG - not cool either

3. 10-16-2012 06:49 PM #3
      #fishbowlclubftw
      crap

Vehicles
      2012 Jetta TDI Highline
      10-16-2012 09:42 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Ed52 View Post
      Speaking from experience - check for little stones wedged between window seal and tint.
      My tint is 11 years old and has faded to nuthin'.
      I guess I would need to remove my whole door panel to check that wouldn't I? I find it odd that on a brand new car I would have little stones wedged in there already :S

I hope Auto Links can fix this free of charge in the end because I can't see how this is my fault...

5. Senior Member Big Dac With Fries's Avatar
      Vehicles
      6000 SUX
      10-16-2012 11:31 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Ed52 View Post
      When I took my Mk2 apart, I noticed how "dirty" the felt window scrapers were. That dirt (in addition to what you mentioned) is what causes the scratches.

Also, check inside the door, maybe when you put the window down, there is a loose harness or wire that comes into contact with the glass.
      Want to roll your fenders or Lamin-X your lights in clear or yellow for THE ABSOLUTE CHEAPEST PRICE IN THE GTA? IM me!
      "I was thinking about what a friend had said, I was hoping it was a lie."

Vehicles
      2012 Jetta TDI Highline
      10-17-2012 01:51 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Big Dac With Fries View Post
      When I took my Mk2 apart, I noticed how "dirty" the felt window scrapers were. That dirt (in addition to what you mentioned) is what causes the scratches.

Also, check inside the door, maybe when you put the window down, there is a loose harness or wire that comes into contact with the glass.
      I think then at this point it must be a loose harness or wire that comes into contact with the glass inside the door panels. This vehicle is brand spanking new and hasn't seen a dirt road since I've had it...

Vehicles
      2012 Jetta TDI Highline
      10-21-2012 03:46 PM #7
      So I just wanted to give you guys a quick update on this issue. Turns out there is no scratches on the tint but instead on the outside window itself! Any idea how my glass could be getting scratched outside? Has this happened to anyone else with a MK6 Jetta? Also, how the hell do I remove these damn scratches on the glass itself