Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: check engine code P1296 help

1. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2002/VW/GTI 337
      10-16-2012 05:36 PM #1
      Hello all, I am very new to VW world and have no idea what i am doing. I own a 2002 GTI 337 and I was driving around today, not pushing my car hard at all, and my check engine light came on. I took it to the nearest Autozone and plugged in the diagnostics machine. The code P1296 came on. I have read up and it seems like it has something to do with the coolant system. I did notice after leaving my car off for over 20 minutes my temp gauge was still dead center in the middle of the gauge reading around 190 degrees or something like that. I also notice that my car seemed to be idling a little lower than normal(not that i know what normal is on the GTI 18.T). Has anyone else ran into this problem? The car is still drivable and i wont be able to fix anything until tomorrow. Any advice on what to do would be a great help. Thanks in advance!!

Vehicles
      82' VW Caddy, RIP-2003 20th Anniversary GTI #0024
      10-16-2012 06:39 PM #2
      It's most likely the coolant temp sensor. It should be about $9 from Autozone and $3 for the little gasket. It's an easy job that even people unskilled with cars can do.
      “A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.”

3. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2002/VW/GTI 337
      10-16-2012 06:53 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by Justin_Eshelman View Post
      It's most likely the coolant temp sensor. It should be about $9 from Autozone and $3 for the little gasket. It's an easy job that even people unskilled with cars can do.

Thank you so much for the info, I will try that tomorrow and get back with the results! thanks again!

4. 10-17-2012 08:00 AM #4
      Make sure you go to your nearest Dealership ad grab the clips that go with that sensor. Autozone/napa etc. don't sell the clips. They break very easily. Trust me, I just did this repair last weekend and if you don't have the clip, coolant will spray all over.

Also:
      http://writen4u.hubpages.com/hub/How...a-Golf-18T-DIY

Good luck!

5. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2002/VW/GTI 337
      10-17-2012 11:44 AM #5
      Thanks again for everyones help!