VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Rcd510 premium 8 install

4K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Darkrootz 
#1 ·
My R came with a nav unit with aux with ipod dock in the arm rest. I have searched the forums and all i found was info on installing it on models that didnt have the nav option or the aux and ipod docking. I installed the the rcd510 and both aux and ipod arent recognized, and fader isnt available. i should also note that on my radio the aux has a seperate cable that goes into the back of the unit. There are those who say is plug n play but i am guessing i need to recode the radio. . so my questions are where can i find the codes for the radio, and is there any repinning involed in order to get my aux and ipod to work in the stock location or do i need to get different cables? thanks for your help!

#3 ·
if you have an rcd you need to ditch the factory ipod kit, get an mdi kit and I think you need to re-wire the pins in the main quadlock cause the pins for the Aux have changed for the MFD2/rns and rcd.

I doubt any amount of coding will fix your problems, I suspect the old factory ipod kit is incompatible with the Premium 8 stuff.

#4 ·
This. Yes, you do have to recode with VAGCOM/VCDS. Yes, the connector has to be repinned to gain AUX functionality (there are step-by-steps if you search). Yes, you should also take out the factory kit and get the MDI, its well worth the extra couple hundred. Fader is fixed with proper coding. If you have access to VAGCOM/VCDS you can find the correct coding or PM me and I will help best I can. Only thing that will work with just coding is fader though, otherwise there are hardware changes necessary. On a slightly more technical level, since the OEM nav/ipod integration was a software hack into the CD changer input, it is not functional with the native control of the MDI. IIRC, OEM will not function with RNS/RCD, MDI is required. This is a positive though, as it enables true use of your ipod (as well as other mass storage devices) instead of the garbage excuse for functionality provided with the MFD2.

#6 · (Edited)
#8 ·
mdi issues

So I got the rcd510 installed and everything works great except for one thing. I bought Vw mdi retrofit kit to get tunes from my ipod, the problem is that the radio recognizes everything but I am not getting any sound from the ipod and its not charging it either..I coded the head unit and did a hard reset but still nothing..any ideas what I may have did wrong or how to correct this issue? Thanks

#10 ·
So I got the rcd510 installed and everything works great except for one thing. I bought Vw mdi retrofit kit to get tunes from my ipod, the problem is that the radio recognizes everything but I am not getting any sound from the ipod and its not charging it either..I coded the head unit and did a hard reset but still nothing..any ideas what I may have did wrong or how to correct this issue? Thanks

have any other MDI Adaptors..? maybe the kit is not working?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.