Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Gt28 coolant line replacement

Vehicles
      2002 VW GTI 1.8 BT
      10-22-2012 02:02 AM #1
      I need to replace the coolant line that goes from my gt2871r to the y by the coolant ball

My old line was a custom weather head hydraulic hose made by napa crimped onto my banjo. The hose got rock hard and when I was doing my timing belt it snapped in half. I heat sleeved the last 2 feet of the hose and ensured it wasn't touching the hot side.

I'm not 100% sure on banjo size, I think it's a 12mm banjo. Correct me. If I'm wrong.

I'm thinking the best hose for this job would be a silicone 13mm coolant hose crimped onto the old banjo.

What do you guys recommend I do?

I need to source this locally in north orange county / south Los Angeles county California. I'm paying for a rental daily til I get this going again

Thx
      My Build
      My FAQ / DIY Thread -- Look here for 90% of the questions you have

Welcome to the world of racing! Budgets are ALWAYS exceeded, deadlines are never meet, end-goals never reached, and wives always unhappy... it's all worth it though!

Vehicles
      01 Jetta Wolfsburg Ed, 04 Jetta GLI 24v 6spd
      10-22-2012 07:39 AM #2
      groggory, I think silicone/banjo combination would be the best solution. Mine has held up well over the years. I am not sure of the size, but I can def go out there and pull the line for some measurements if need be. LMK bud, head is already off the car and i can access the line pretty easy Also, I have my line heat wrapped and it has not dried out or become rock hard yet.
      My Thread Fk AK Coilovers, Full 3" Exhaust, Custom FMIC, Forge Evo14 BOV, Forge Unos MBC, Forge Throttle Body Hose, Prothane Dog Bone Mount, BFI STG 1 Eng/Trans Mounts, Sachs VR6 Clutch Kit, TT Short Shifter, Siemens 630s, Walbro 255, DBB Garrett 50 Trim Turbo Kit, Eurodyne 630cc MAFLESS PAGPARTS FTW -- STEVEBILT.COM -- Integrated Engineering -- FourSeasonTuning.com Don't Buy Anything From *ChunkyPeanuts*

3. 10-22-2012 09:37 AM #3
      Your on the right path....wrap it like Tom's when your done.
      Quote Originally Posted by Marcus_Aurelius View Post
      If you're going to come like this, why don't you come correct? I think you mean Samuel Langhorne Clemens. What's next, you want the work cited to be mentioned as well, on a car forum sig in quotation? How about you fail me professor

Vehicles
      '08 BMW 550i, '03 Honda CR-V, '03 20th GTI (sold)
      10-22-2012 09:46 AM #4
      I believe it's 14mm. I used this kit for my 28rs: http://www.intengineering.com/gt-ser...jo-fitting-kit

Vehicles
      2003 GTI
      10-22-2012 09:58 AM #5
      I'd like to see how the silicone line works out.

Currently I'm using a gates hose, with DEI heat wrap (the silicone and fiberglass heat wrap), so far so good. This is the heat shield I'm talking about: http://www.designengineering.com/cat...fire-wrap-3000

Before this arrangement, I had was using generic auto parts store hose and the silver tin foilish dei heat wrap. That combination did not work. The line went hard and crumbled.
      CTS gt3071r and more

6. 10-22-2012 09:59 AM #6
      Should be 14mm.
      Quote Originally Posted by Marcus_Aurelius View Post
      If you're going to come like this, why don't you come correct? I think you mean Samuel Langhorne Clemens. What's next, you want the work cited to be mentioned as well, on a car forum sig in quotation? How about you fail me professor

Vehicles
      10-22-2012 10:35 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by sabbySC View Post
      I'd like to see how the silicone line works out.

Currently I'm using a gates hose, with DEI heat wrap (the silicone and fiberglass heat wrap), so far so good. This is the heat shield I'm talking about: http://www.designengineering.com/cat...fire-wrap-3000

Before this arrangement, I had was using generic auto parts store hose and the silver tin foilish dei heat wrap. That combination did not work. The line went hard and crumbled.
      I line that Fire-Wrap. It looks cleaner than what I am using. I have some other brand of wrap. gonna try and pick up some of this fire-wrap
      My Thread Fk AK Coilovers, Full 3" Exhaust, Custom FMIC, Forge Evo14 BOV, Forge Unos MBC, Forge Throttle Body Hose, Prothane Dog Bone Mount, BFI STG 1 Eng/Trans Mounts, Sachs VR6 Clutch Kit, TT Short Shifter, Siemens 630s, Walbro 255, DBB Garrett 50 Trim Turbo Kit, Eurodyne 630cc MAFLESS PAGPARTS FTW -- STEVEBILT.COM -- Integrated Engineering -- FourSeasonTuning.com Don't Buy Anything From *ChunkyPeanuts*

Vehicles
      00 Beetle
      10-22-2012 11:00 AM #8
      Dang, that stinks Grogg. I hate to see a good guy have troubles like that. My question though, is why don't you just use -6an line and not have to worry about it any more? You can get the hose barb to -an fittings, splice it close to the radiator, and even use stock clamps to hold it in place along the frame under the coolant ball. Then you can get the adapter from the block (14mm to -6an) to the turbo that way. No rubber lines to worry about anymore.

Just a thought. Good luck getting the car back up and running man.
      2000 Beetle, 1991 CR-X, 1988 F-150 (Still don't know why I like this truck...)

Vehicles
      2002 VW GTI 1.8 BT
      10-22-2012 01:38 PM #9
      Gonna go here

Deering industries, long beach

I think they're gonna take care of me
      My Build

Welcome to the world of racing! Budgets are ALWAYS exceeded, deadlines are never meet, end-goals never reached, and wives always unhappy... it's all worth it though!

Vehicles
      10-22-2012 01:58 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by groggory View Post
      Gonna go here

Deering industries, long beach

I think they're gonna take care of me

Vehicles
      2002 VW GTI 1.8 BT
      10-22-2012 06:29 PM #11
      Deering was awesome....

Chopped the head off my old banjo (they didn't have a 14mm banjo on hand). Sand blasted the crap that had accumulated on it (it was gross looking and covered in corrosion). Silver soldered a -8AN bung onto it. AWESOME JOB!! Top quality workmanship.

Then made me a new hose. 22 inches of teflon lined stainless braid line. -8AN swivel on both ends with crimped fittings.

Then sold me 18 inches of 2000F silicone fire sleeving. Cool stuff. It's stretchy so it'll slip over the big -8AN ends but fit nicely on the -8AN line.

Then sold me a brass -8AN to 1/2" barb coupler. This feeds onto the 1/2" reinforced rubber. That rubber will slip onto the factory 'Y' fitting down under the coolant ball area. He attached around 18 inches of rubber, but in all honesty I'll probably only use around 8 or so inches.

Deering industries is awesome. If you live in the North Orange County or South Bay Areas and need some race grade plumbing, drive over there and tell them what you need.

Deering Industries
      3300 Cherry Avenue Long Beach, CA 90807
      (562) 595-1668
      My Build

Vehicles
      10-22-2012 07:01 PM #12
      Good Stuff

Vehicles
      02 audi tt 225 / mk3 jetta /audi 5000s turbo
      10-22-2012 10:39 PM #13
      That was probably a 100$ hose!
      Will work, but i just chop and reuse the oem lines.

Vehicles
      2002 VW GTI 1.8 BT
      10-23-2012 01:16 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by speed51133! View Post
      $127 actually, lol
      My Build

Vehicles
      2002 VW GTI 1.8 BT
      10-23-2012 02:28 AM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by speed51133! View Post
      What fitting is on the end of the oem coolant line?
      My Build

Vehicles
      10-23-2012 07:59 AM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by groggory View Post
      $127 actually, lol
      yeh but you probably have the best coolant line i've ever seen. That heat wrap/jacket is very nice.

Vehicles
      00 Beetle
      10-23-2012 12:19 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by Big_Tom View Post
      yeh but you probably have the best coolant line i've ever seen. That heat wrap/jacket is very nice.
      I have to agree with Tom. Nice stuff there.
      2000 Beetle, 1991 CR-X, 1988 F-150 (Still don't know why I like this truck...)

Vehicles
      02 audi tt 225 / mk3 jetta /audi 5000s turbo
      10-23-2012 12:29 PM #18
      on the block fitting, i took the oem line and cut off a banjo end, and used the aeroquip -6 push lock hose (with a clamp) on the banjo fitting.

this was just for the banjo that attaches to the block.

i then just cut the hardline by the coolant ball and pushed hose over it and clamped it.

on the turbo i bought -6 banjo fittings from jegs that were WAY cheaper than anything else out there at 10$ for the complete banjo

http://www.jegs.com/p/Unisteer/UniSt...23161/10002/-1

the whole setup was like 20$ since i had leftover -6 aeroquip hose and random clamps.

Vehicles
      2002 VW GTI 1.8 BT
      10-23-2012 04:50 PM #19
      My old setup was weather head hose From napa plus dei aluminized fiberglass sleeving. Had it on for about a year before it failed
      My Build