Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Bad ball joint err something else?

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2002 GTI-VR6 24V
      10-26-2012 06:53 PM #1
      For those with the "Search" comments... Yes, I have searched here, elsewhere, google etc...

Steering seems to bind occasionally at all/or any rpms and I recently replaced the steering rack and steering pump (at 107k) to see if it was the issue due to original parts and just may have finally crapped out. but still no avail...

Wasn't hearing any noises from rack, pump or even any popping noises from axle or possible ball joints...

However, now it seems that when the steering starts to bind and I hit a small bump or have slight elevation change in the front end it seems to free up from the bind and steer around turns normal.

Soooo... would I assume correctly that its possible bad ball joints causing the bind or? Cause I'm definitely not low for it to be axle bind as they also look okay...

Any Ideas? Thanks

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2002 GTI-VR6 24V
      10-27-2012 11:28 AM #2
      And basically all new tie rods/tie rod ends as well as control arm bushings. Only thing that's left I can think of are the ball joints.

Unless its something really internal in the steering system elsewhere?

3. Member
      Vehicles
      1999.5 A4 Quattro 1.8t
      10-27-2012 11:42 AM #3
      I'm having a similar problem, last night pulling into my driveway my steering wheel got stuck at 3/4 of a turn and wouldn't go further. then I let my car roll backwards and it freed itself up, also on a slight incline.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2002 GTI-VR6 24V
      10-27-2012 05:17 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by 96jtagls View Post
      i'm having a similar problem, last night pulling into my driveway my steering wheel got stuck at 3/4 of a turn and wouldn't go further. Then i let my car roll backwards and it freed itself up, also on a slight incline.
      exactly!