Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: where is the Central Convenience control module?

1. Member
      Vehicles
      88 Cabriolet, 95 MKIII Golf GL, 06.5 MKV GTI
      10-26-2012 11:23 PM #1
      On a 98 Audi A4 where is the Central Convenience Module? The power reduction relay is not getting power, the wipers do not work, the turn signals don't work, fog lights don't work, and the climate control fan isn't working. I'm thinking a bad module, or faulty wire to the module.

Vehicles
      A6 TDI Quattro wagon, A4 TDI Quattro racecar
      10-27-2012 05:36 AM #2
      The A4 doesn't have a convenience module. All those functions are done by separate components.

The load reduction relay lives in the lower relay panel which is above the dash tray on the driver's side. Could be a wiring fault, I've had a bad ignition switch cause that too.
      Throw an Audi engineer down a hole with a ladder and he will fashion a shovel from it and tunnel his way out

Quote Originally Posted by shwak23 View Post
      You could always call your insurance and say that some vandals tried to swap your car to rwd while you weren't looking.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      10-27-2012 11:36 AM #3
      Aaaand that would be why I can't locate anything on it. I will try replacing the ignition switch first. Appreciate your help.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      10-27-2012 05:54 PM #4
      So here is my problem then. The load reduction relay is not getting power. If power is diverted to the relay to power the input to the relay that should have power nothing works still. All of the connections at the relay read ground all the time when tested except for one which is supposed to supply power to the relay but doesn't read anything at all. I'm trying to figure out if one of the individual modules that control like the HVAC or the wipers might be causing the issue, perhaps one of them is grounding out or something. Any thoughts anyone as to where to start? Where is the HVAC module located as I will start there I guess?

Vehicles
      10-27-2012 07:42 PM #5
      Fuses would be blowing all over the place if you had a short in one of the modules. From the sound of it your problem is in the relay panel itself. The load relay gets it power from the terminal 30 connection (the main power cable from the battery) iirc. I might have a diagram somewhere - I'll see if I can find it...
      Throw an Audi engineer down a hole with a ladder and he will fashion a shovel from it and tunnel his way out

You could always call your insurance and say that some vandals tried to swap your car to rwd while you weren't looking.

Vehicles
      10-28-2012 06:50 AM #6
      Hmm I don't appear to have that bit of the diagram, and can't get to it at the moment sorry Do you have a Bentley manual?

7. Member
      Vehicles
      10-29-2012 01:06 PM #7
      No I don't have one but it's the daughters ca and she is supposed to be picking one up tomorrow. I find it interesting though that all but one wire going to the relay show ground all the time even with the relay unplugged.

Vehicles
      10-29-2012 06:24 PM #8
      That is a little odd. You should have two that show ground, not three. The ground for the relay coil will obviously be one, and the load on the relay will appear to be another. The feed coming from the ignition switch ought to be open circuit with the ignition off, and you should have B+ on the main power feed for it.