Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Results 1 to 35 of 156

    Thread: US Spec Golf R the least fun car in the snow ever!!!! I hate this car now!!!

    1. Member climbingcue's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2nd, 2001
      Location
      Morristown NJ
      Posts
      9,756
      Vehicles
      2012 VW GOLF R, 2012 RZR 900 XP
      11-07-2012 06:25 PM #1
      Well I have always been very pissed off the VWOA did not give us the programing that the Canadian cars got with the two stage ESP button. I have had my car since 3/29/12 and today was the 1st time my car has ever seen snow. I put my snow tire on then went out for a drive around the neighborhood. The car will not kick out, car will not slide when you pull the e-brake even with the ASR button off. This just confirms the Golf R was the wrong purchase for me with the current ESP programming in the USA. If I had it to do over again I would not have purchased this car. End of rant, thank you for reading this post. If you are looking at buying a Golf R and would like to have fun in the snow. DO NOT BUY THIS CAR!!!!

      Bill
      Last edited by climbingcue; 11-14-2012 at 06:44 PM.
      United Motorsport 12.311@112 mph on 93 octane
      Georgia 1/2 mile 2014 135.78 mph

    2. 11-07-2012 06:30 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by climbingcue View Post
      Well I have always been very pissed off the VWOA did not give us the programing that the Canadian cars got with the two stage ESP button. I have had my car since 3/29/12 and today was the 1st time my car has ever seen snow. I put my snow tire on then went out for a drive around the neighborhood. The car will not kick out, car will not slide when you pull the e-brake even with the ASR button off. This just confirms the Golf R was a crappy purchase. If I had it to do over again I would not have purchased this car. End of rant, thank you for reading this post. If you are looking at buying a Golf R and would like to have fun in the snow. DO NOT BUY THIS CAR!!!!

      Bill
      we all knew what we were getting into, the.car is still fun as ****z,.we are all.happy with our purchase. we dont need to do reverse donuts in a 40k car

    3. 11-07-2012 06:32 PM #3
      Not sure if u r trolling. I think u have better luck putting ur non-snow tires on

      Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

    4. 11-07-2012 06:33 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by riderbmx4 View Post
      we all knew what we were getting into, the.car is still fun as ****z,.we are all.happy with our purchase. we dont need to do reverse donuts in a 40k car
      we barely ever see snow, so the total of mayb 6 snow days we get a year doesnt make this car a crappy purchase. get a rwd car next time if u wanna crash into a tree because u wanted to drift a corner.

    5. Banned ThatVdub's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 28th, 2010
      Location
      Jax, FL
      Posts
      6,931
      Vehicles
      Golf R
      11-07-2012 06:36 PM #5
      guess u saw Ian's video that I posted today, and that these newbs can't relate to.

      here is more to depress you


    6. 11-07-2012 06:41 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by dummybear View Post
      Not sure if u r trolling. I think u have better luck putting ur non-snow tires on

      Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
      who me? im defending the car

    7. Junior Member twistedrotors's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 8th, 2012
      Location
      Houston, TX
      Posts
      35
      Vehicles
      '13 RB VW Golf R, '87 TII Mazda RX-7
      11-07-2012 06:45 PM #7
      What's snow?

    8. Member neilm's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 25th, 1999
      Posts
      134
      Vehicles
      2013 VW Golf R
      11-07-2012 06:50 PM #8
      two stage ESP

    9. Member climbingcue's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2nd, 2001
      Location
      Morristown NJ
      Posts
      9,756
      Vehicles
      2012 VW GOLF R, 2012 RZR 900 XP
      11-07-2012 06:51 PM #9
      I am not trolling, I ordered the car in September of 2011. At that time we did not know what the ESP button would be like on this car. I have not done a track event on this car and it is all because of the ESP button, that car can not be driven on the track without crazy intervention. The only good thing it will save me tons of money, since I will never have to pay for a track event. I had hope that someone would come out with a fix, but since we have way to many lawyers in the US, that will never happen. I will never be able to do a winter driving event in the Golf R...

      My old car fun

      http://youtu.be/fBCnuK9xt5E

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQIgT...=ULZQIgT5O_zVE
      United Motorsport 12.311@112 mph on 93 octane
      Georgia 1/2 mile 2014 135.78 mph

    10. Member DaLeadBull's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 14th, 2011
      Location
      Northampton, PA
      Posts
      2,175
      Vehicles
      '12 Golf R
      11-07-2012 06:51 PM #10
      The car has too much traction, it sucks!

    11. Member vr6fanatic's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 4th, 2003
      Location
      Mass
      Posts
      9,116
      Vehicles
      2004 VW R32
      11-07-2012 06:59 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by ThatVdub View Post
      guess u saw Ian's video that I posted today, and that these newbs can't relate to.

      here is more to depress you

      I believe that isn't Ian at all and I do believe that is Rich In that video.
      Laz

      Many people enjoy eating apples and oranges, but in the end they are still… just apples and oranges. The R32 is passion fruit. . Live Long and Prosper.

    12. Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2nd, 2011
      Location
      Burlington, NC
      Posts
      3,880
      Vehicles
      '14 CC R-Line, '12 Golf R
      11-07-2012 07:01 PM #12
      If you want to hoon buy a hooner's car, not an adult's hot hatch.

    13. Banned ThatVdub's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 28th, 2010
      Location
      Jax, FL
      Posts
      6,931
      Vehicles
      Golf R
      11-07-2012 07:04 PM #13
      Was referring to post 5 in this thread

      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5878256

      Quote Originally Posted by vr6fanatic View Post
      I believe that isn't Ian at all and I do believe that is Rich In that video.
      I know it's not Ian very well...


      Quote Originally Posted by ThatVdub View Post
      I would kill to hear the turbo whistle like 20 seconds into this video.

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_wxk8Ui84k

      Marcel/HPA, please make it happen with the Golf R turbo kit.


      Edit:

      One new cool video by Ian

      Last edited by ThatVdub; 11-07-2012 at 07:10 PM.

    14. Banned ThatVdub's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 28th, 2010
      Location
      Jax, FL
      Posts
      6,931
      Vehicles
      Golf R
      11-07-2012 07:08 PM #14

    15. Member climbingcue's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2nd, 2001
      Location
      Morristown NJ
      Posts
      9,756
      Vehicles
      2012 VW GOLF R, 2012 RZR 900 XP
      11-07-2012 07:36 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by DaLeadBull View Post
      The car has too much traction, it sucks!
      Traction is great, but computers taking over control of the car when you don't want it to sucks... If you are not a driver you will never understand. 1st owner 04 R32 owners understand, they know what I am talking about. Many of the new Golf R owners are putting them on "Bags" anyone that does that does not care at all about driving... VW did many things better on the Golf R then the other R models. Being unable to disable the nanny computer destroys the purpose of the car. I am happy that many owners are happy driving a neutered car. That is not what I want out of any car.
      United Motorsport 12.311@112 mph on 93 octane
      Georgia 1/2 mile 2014 135.78 mph

    16. Member Time for a GTI's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 25th, 2006
      Location
      NH
      Posts
      9,169
      Vehicles
      '12 Golf R
      11-07-2012 07:41 PM #16
      The Golf R forum. The only enthusiast forum on the planet that is "too mature" to do donuts. The people blindly defending the car at all costs are just ridiculous. Keep telling yourself it's ok that VW did what they did to a driver's car so you can feel all warm and fuzzy. If everyone just admitted that it sucks and started communicating that pubicly and to VW it's possible something could be done about it but people would rather lie to themselves.
      Scotch. It's time.

      Quote Originally Posted by Chockomon
      2 Emmetts = Pi * sqrt(cockerpunk)

    17. Member Sf_Kilo's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 31st, 2012
      Location
      Bethel Park, PA
      Posts
      180
      Vehicles
      2013 Golf R 2d S,S,&N CSG; 2012 Touareg TDi; 2010 Mustang GT, 2000 Beetle Turbo Baja
      11-07-2012 07:46 PM #17
      Well for less than the cost of a tune you can buy a vag-com and disable the ESP....
      Just a thought... I doubt $400 will stop anyone from buying a Golf R...
      Didn't stop me especially since I already have a Vag-Com and just bought the car today...

      Quote Originally Posted by Time for a GTI View Post
      The Golf R forum. The only enthusiast forum on the planet that is "too mature" to do donuts. The people blindly defending the car at all costs are just ridiculous. Keep telling yourself it's ok that VW did what they did to a driver's car so you can feel all warm and fuzzy. If everyone just admitted that it sucks and started communicating that pubicly and to VW it's possible something could be done about it but people would rather lie to themselves.
      Well a call to your congressman would have better chances of fixing the issue...
      Its a USA protect the morons issue not a VW issue...
      I'm sure they would gladly save R&D dollars not having to gimp a car if it were legal...
      It's a politics and liability problem that can't be rectified by VW...
      Last edited by Sf_Kilo; 11-07-2012 at 07:53 PM.

    18. 11-07-2012 07:48 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by Sf_Kilo View Post
      Well for less than the cost of a tune you can buy a vag-com and disable the ESP....
      Just a thought... I doubt $400 will stop anyone from buying a Golf R...
      Didn't stop me especially since I already have a Vag-Com and just bought the car today...
      Haha...pretty sure you are in for a big surprise.

    19. Junior Member
      Join Date
      Aug 4th, 2012
      Posts
      37
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R, 2004 Dodge Neon SRT-4
      11-07-2012 07:52 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by Sf_Kilo View Post
      Well for less than the cost of a tune you can buy a vag-com and disable the ESP....
      Just a thought... I doubt $400 will stop anyone from buying a Golf R...
      Didn't stop me especially since I already have a Vag-Com and just bought the car today...
      Can't disable on US spec cars period, though people are definitely trying to find a workaround. Vag-com ain't it.

    20. Member Time for a GTI's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 25th, 2006
      Location
      NH
      Posts
      9,169
      Vehicles
      '12 Golf R
      11-07-2012 07:57 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by Sf_Kilo View Post
      Well for less than the cost of a tune you can buy a vag-com and disable the ESP....
      Just a thought... I doubt $400 will stop anyone from buying a Golf R...
      Incorrect, VAG-COM will not disable ESP.

      Quote Originally Posted by Sf_Kilo View Post
      Well a call to your congressman would have better chances of fixing the issue...
      Its a USA protect the morons issue not a VW issue...
      I'm sure they would gladly save R&D dollars not having to gimp a car if it were legal...
      It's a politics and liability problem that can't be rectified by VW...
      Incorrect, the manufacturer has the option to allow or not allow the disable in the U.S. market. VW chose not to. Use some common sense here...if it were a requirement than every new car launched in this market would not allow the disable. I assure you there are plenty that do.
      Scotch. It's time.

      Quote Originally Posted by Chockomon
      2 Emmetts = Pi * sqrt(cockerpunk)

    21. 11-07-2012 08:06 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by purefx View Post
      Can't disable on US spec cars period, though people are definitely trying to find a workaround. Vag-com ain't it.
      I kinda feel bad for Sf_Kilo right now. He seemed so confident that he'd be able to disable the ESP with a VAG cable.

      Those videos DO look like fun climbingcue! Sorry for the US guys. There's really no reason to mandatorily have ESP in the car. There are hundreds of thousands of older sports cars ripping around all over the place that don't have any form of stability control. In my opinion, stability control should be set to 'off' by default. That way it releases the liabilty involved from disabling it. Responsible sensible drivers can then have the choice to make their experience even safer by enabling it. Similiar to the idea of seat belts.
      Last edited by DudeLePowSki; 11-07-2012 at 08:08 PM.

    22. Junior Member
      Join Date
      Aug 4th, 2012
      Posts
      37
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R, 2004 Dodge Neon SRT-4
      11-07-2012 08:10 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by DudeLePowSki View Post
      I kinda feel bad for Sf_Kilo right now. He seemed so confident that he'd be able to disable the ESP with a VAG cable.

      Those videos DO look like fun climbingcue! Sorry for the US guys. There's really no reason to mandatorily have ESP in the car. There are hundreds of thousands of older sports cars ripping around all over the place that don't have any form of stability control. In my opinion, stability control should be set to 'off' by default. That way it releases the liabilty involved from disabling it. Responsible sensible drivers can then have the choice to make their experience even safer by enabling it. Similiar to the idea of seat belts.
      I really feel we should be able to petition VW or something. It is law to have ESP but not law to be restricted from disabling it. It worked for opening up the ECU to standard flash tools with my old SRT-4. Who knows...

    23. Junior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 17th, 2012
      Location
      Miami
      Posts
      36
      Vehicles
      2012 RB Golf R 2d
      11-07-2012 08:10 PM #23
      So what do we need to buy? Canadian ECU's? Or is there more to it than that?
      2012 RB 2D Golf.:R / APR Stage 1 / DG Sigma 6 / HPA 75 mount

    24. Member neilm's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 25th, 1999
      Posts
      134
      Vehicles
      2013 VW Golf R
      11-07-2012 08:14 PM #24
      What is it?

    25. Member Time for a GTI's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 25th, 2006
      Location
      NH
      Posts
      9,169
      Vehicles
      '12 Golf R
      11-07-2012 08:16 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by purefx View Post
      I really feel we should be able to petition VW or something.
      I'd really like to see something organized and I'd be willing to contribute to the effort. We need something like an open letter or open petition. Something visible, polite, professional. This isn't a "battle against VW". We need to communicate our displeasure with their decision and our desire for them to rectify it. We need to communicate a desire that we at least get a meaningful response from a VW representative as to why they made the decision despite there being no requirement to. We also would need as many owners and potential owners on board...not trying to convince themselves and others that it's ok so they don't have to admit there might be just 1 single flaw with their precious car.
      Scotch. It's time.

      Quote Originally Posted by Chockomon
      2 Emmetts = Pi * sqrt(cockerpunk)

    26. 11-07-2012 08:17 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by BlastedBilly View Post
      So what do we need to buy? Canadian ECU's? Or is there more to it than that?
      Hate to be the search police but this is one of the most polarizing and documented topics on vortex.

      Sent via Nerdroid mobile.

    27. Member BluDemon's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 19th, 2005
      Location
      Dickson, TN
      Posts
      5,086
      Vehicles
      2013 Porsche Carrera 4S, 2004 Aprilia Scarabeo 500, 1988 VW Scirocco
      11-07-2012 08:25 PM #27
      if you hate it so much sell it now and cancel your vortex account.

      bye

    28. Member blefevre's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 13th, 2011
      Location
      Lakewood, CO
      Posts
      212
      Vehicles
      Golf R
      11-07-2012 08:26 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by purefx View Post
      I really feel we should be able to petition VW or something. It is law to have ESP but not law to be restricted from disabling it. It worked for opening up the ECU to standard flash tools with my old SRT-4. Who knows...
      Same thing with the 6-speed E60 M5s. BMW ended up offering a reflash

    29. Member HardKnox's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 26th, 2012
      Location
      Hellinois
      Posts
      799
      Vehicles
      2013 VW Golf R
      11-07-2012 08:26 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by Sf_Kilo View Post
      Well for less than the cost of a tune you can buy a vag-com and disable the ESP....
      Just a thought... I doubt $400 will stop anyone from buying a Golf R...
      Didn't stop me especially since I already have a Vag-Com and just bought the car today...


      I'll be waiting with bated breath for you to post a video of you driving your US-spec R with the ESP disabled. Don't disappoint!

    30. Member Time for a GTI's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 25th, 2006
      Location
      NH
      Posts
      9,169
      Vehicles
      '12 Golf R
      11-07-2012 08:29 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by blefevre View Post
      Same thing with the 6-speed E60 M5s. BMW ended up offering a reflash
      Do you have any more information about that? Links to threads on BMW forums? Information about how it happened? Was there a petition, etc? Or, best of all, how to contact the people that made it happen?
      Scotch. It's time.

      Quote Originally Posted by Chockomon
      2 Emmetts = Pi * sqrt(cockerpunk)

    31. Member DaLeadBull's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 14th, 2011
      Location
      Northampton, PA
      Posts
      2,175
      Vehicles
      '12 Golf R
      11-07-2012 08:30 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by climbingcue View Post
      Traction is great, but computers taking over control of the car when you don't want it to sucks... If you are not a driver you will never understand. 1st owner 04 R32 owners understand, they know what I am talking about. Many of the new Golf R owners are putting them on "Bags" anyone that does that does not care at all about driving... VW did many things better on the Golf R then the other R models. Being unable to disable the nanny computer destroys the purpose of the car. I am happy that many owners are happy driving a neutered car. That is not what I want out of any car.
      Oh I know. Being able to fully defeat stability control would be awesome but that still isn't a deal breaker to me. If you really wanted to, I'm sure you can find a way to turn off ESP all the way.

    32. Member Sf_Kilo's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 31st, 2012
      Location
      Bethel Park, PA
      Posts
      180
      Vehicles
      2013 Golf R 2d S,S,&N CSG; 2012 Touareg TDi; 2010 Mustang GT, 2000 Beetle Turbo Baja
      11-07-2012 08:34 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by Time for a GTI View Post
      Incorrect, the manufacturer has the option to allow or not allow the disable in the U.S. market. VW chose not to. Use some common sense here...if it were a requirement than every new car launched in this market would not allow the disable. I assure you there are plenty that do.
      I stand corrected I re-read the requirements and you are correct that it does not specify that allowing the end user to disable stability control is forbidden...
      That being the case I still have to think they had good reason to do what they did...
      It's a short wheelbase AWD with a forward weight and drive bias, I'd imagine it would be pretty quick to rotate, if you aren't practiced enough to recover the consequences could be catastrophic...

      I was under the impression that you could mask the effects of ESP enough to "have fun" via Vag-Com... If I'm wrong that's fine, I am always willing to be taught something new...
      None of the people I have spoken with regarding the subject would be what I consider experts so until I try it I can't say one way or another...

      At the moment this is the grocery getter for me...
      The mustang is the track toy, and the Touareg tows the track toy and the boat...

      If and when my skills on the track are hindered enough by ESP I'll worry about how to disable it when the R becomes the track toy, I have so many hours to put in before that is the case that it will likely never be an issue...

      To be honest though my times at beaver run aren't faster stepping the mustang out beyond what the nanny will allow while on anyway so its kind of a null point for me...

      Carry on with the oh god I can't do doughnuts thread...

      Sorry I misspoke

    33. Member climbingcue's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2nd, 2001
      Location
      Morristown NJ
      Posts
      9,756
      Vehicles
      2012 VW GOLF R, 2012 RZR 900 XP
      11-07-2012 08:35 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by BluDemon View Post
      if you hate it so much sell it now and cancel your vortex account.

      bye
      If you are willing to buy my car for full price I will sell it to you right now. I like vortex I have met many great friends over the 11 years I have been here. So I am not leaving, VW did one thing to destroy this car. Until someone is able to come up with a fix the car will never be what it was intended to be. I have waited almost a year for a fix and have contacted every tuner for a solution and it is not coming. The car is so close to being great, just one little software issue holding it back.
      United Motorsport 12.311@112 mph on 93 octane
      Georgia 1/2 mile 2014 135.78 mph

    34. Banned
      Join Date
      Sep 18th, 2012
      Location
      40.8033° N, 76.3417° W
      Posts
      128
      Vehicles
      If I told you I'd be banned from TCL
      11-07-2012 08:37 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by ThatVdub View Post
      guess u saw Ian's video that I posted today, and that these newbs can't relate to.

      here is more to depress you

      i used to work at that building

    35. Banned ThatVdub's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 28th, 2010
      Location
      Jax, FL
      Posts
      6,931
      Vehicles
      Golf R
      11-07-2012 08:37 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by Sf_Kilo View Post
      It's a short wheelbase AWD with a forward weight and drive bias, I'd imagine it would be pretty quick to rotate, if you aren't practiced enough to recover the consequences could be catastrophic...
      so, vw doesnt mind killing row, just not americans?

      Quote Originally Posted by BluDemon View Post
      if you hate it so much sell it now and cancel your vortex account.

      bye
      u r one piece of work.
      Last edited by ThatVdub; 11-07-2012 at 08:42 PM.

    Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •