Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: US Spec Golf R the least fun car in the snow ever!!!! I hate this car now!!!

Vehicles
      2012 VW GOLF R, 2012 RZR 900 XP
      11-07-2012 06:25 PM #1
      Well I have always been very pissed off the VWOA did not give us the programing that the Canadian cars got with the two stage ESP button. I have had my car since 3/29/12 and today was the 1st time my car has ever seen snow. I put my snow tire on then went out for a drive around the neighborhood. The car will not kick out, car will not slide when you pull the e-brake even with the ASR button off. This just confirms the Golf R was the wrong purchase for me with the current ESP programming in the USA. If I had it to do over again I would not have purchased this car. End of rant, thank you for reading this post. If you are looking at buying a Golf R and would like to have fun in the snow. DO NOT BUY THIS CAR!!!!

Bill
      Last edited by climbingcue; 11-14-2012 at 06:44 PM.
      United Motorsport 12.311@112 mph on 93 octane
      Georgia 1/2 mile 2014 135.78 mph

2. 11-07-2012 06:30 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by climbingcue View Post
      Well I have always been very pissed off the VWOA did not give us the programing that the Canadian cars got with the two stage ESP button. I have had my car since 3/29/12 and today was the 1st time my car has ever seen snow. I put my snow tire on then went out for a drive around the neighborhood. The car will not kick out, car will not slide when you pull the e-brake even with the ASR button off. This just confirms the Golf R was a crappy purchase. If I had it to do over again I would not have purchased this car. End of rant, thank you for reading this post. If you are looking at buying a Golf R and would like to have fun in the snow. DO NOT BUY THIS CAR!!!!

Bill
      we all knew what we were getting into, the.car is still fun as ****z,.we are all.happy with our purchase. we dont need to do reverse donuts in a 40k car

3. 11-07-2012 06:32 PM #3
      Not sure if u r trolling. I think u have better luck putting ur non-snow tires on

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

4. 11-07-2012 06:33 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by riderbmx4 View Post
      we all knew what we were getting into, the.car is still fun as ****z,.we are all.happy with our purchase. we dont need to do reverse donuts in a 40k car
      we barely ever see snow, so the total of mayb 6 snow days we get a year doesnt make this car a crappy purchase. get a rwd car next time if u wanna crash into a tree because u wanted to drift a corner.

Vehicles
      Golf R
      11-07-2012 06:36 PM #5
      guess u saw Ian's video that I posted today, and that these newbs can't relate to.

here is more to depress you

6. 11-07-2012 06:41 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by dummybear View Post
      Not sure if u r trolling. I think u have better luck putting ur non-snow tires on

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
      who me? im defending the car

Vehicles
      '13 RB VW Golf R, '87 TII Mazda RX-7
      11-07-2012 06:45 PM #7
      What's snow?

Vehicles
      2013 VW Golf R
      11-07-2012 06:50 PM #8
      two stage ESP

Vehicles
      11-07-2012 06:51 PM #9
      I am not trolling, I ordered the car in September of 2011. At that time we did not know what the ESP button would be like on this car. I have not done a track event on this car and it is all because of the ESP button, that car can not be driven on the track without crazy intervention. The only good thing it will save me tons of money, since I will never have to pay for a track event. I had hope that someone would come out with a fix, but since we have way to many lawyers in the US, that will never happen. I will never be able to do a winter driving event in the Golf R...

My old car fun

http://youtu.be/fBCnuK9xt5E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQIgT...=ULZQIgT5O_zVE

Vehicles
      '12 Golf R
      11-07-2012 06:51 PM #10
      The car has too much traction, it sucks!

Vehicles
      2004 VW R32
      11-07-2012 06:59 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by ThatVdub View Post
      guess u saw Ian's video that I posted today, and that these newbs can't relate to.

I believe that isn't Ian at all and I do believe that is Rich In that video.
      Laz

Many people enjoy eating apples and oranges, but in the end they are still… just apples and oranges. The R32 is passion fruit. . Live Long and Prosper.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      '14 CC R-Line, '12 Golf R
      11-07-2012 07:01 PM #12
      If you want to hoon buy a hooner's car, not an adult's hot hatch.

Vehicles
      Golf R
      11-07-2012 07:04 PM #13
      Was referring to post 5 in this thread

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5878256

Quote Originally Posted by vr6fanatic View Post
      I believe that isn't Ian at all and I do believe that is Rich In that video.
      I know it's not Ian very well...

I would kill to hear the turbo whistle like 20 seconds into this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_wxk8Ui84k

Marcel/HPA, please make it happen with the Golf R turbo kit.

Edit:

One new cool video by Ian

Last edited by ThatVdub; 11-07-2012 at 07:10 PM.

Vehicles
      Golf R
      11-07-2012 07:08 PM #14

Vehicles
      11-07-2012 07:36 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by DaLeadBull View Post
      The car has too much traction, it sucks!
      Traction is great, but computers taking over control of the car when you don't want it to sucks... If you are not a driver you will never understand. 1st owner 04 R32 owners understand, they know what I am talking about. Many of the new Golf R owners are putting them on "Bags" anyone that does that does not care at all about driving... VW did many things better on the Golf R then the other R models. Being unable to disable the nanny computer destroys the purpose of the car. I am happy that many owners are happy driving a neutered car. That is not what I want out of any car.

Vehicles
      '12 Golf R
      11-07-2012 07:41 PM #16
      The Golf R forum. The only enthusiast forum on the planet that is "too mature" to do donuts. The people blindly defending the car at all costs are just ridiculous. Keep telling yourself it's ok that VW did what they did to a driver's car so you can feel all warm and fuzzy. If everyone just admitted that it sucks and started communicating that pubicly and to VW it's possible something could be done about it but people would rather lie to themselves.
      Scotch. It's time.

Quote Originally Posted by Chockomon
      2 Emmetts = Pi * sqrt(cockerpunk)

Vehicles
      2013 Golf R 2d S,S,&N CSG; 2012 Touareg TDi; 2010 Mustang GT, 2000 Beetle Turbo Baja
      11-07-2012 07:46 PM #17
      Well for less than the cost of a tune you can buy a vag-com and disable the ESP....
      Just a thought... I doubt $400 will stop anyone from buying a Golf R...
      Didn't stop me especially since I already have a Vag-Com and just bought the car today...

Quote Originally Posted by Time for a GTI View Post
      The Golf R forum. The only enthusiast forum on the planet that is "too mature" to do donuts. The people blindly defending the car at all costs are just ridiculous. Keep telling yourself it's ok that VW did what they did to a driver's car so you can feel all warm and fuzzy. If everyone just admitted that it sucks and started communicating that pubicly and to VW it's possible something could be done about it but people would rather lie to themselves.
      Well a call to your congressman would have better chances of fixing the issue...
      Its a USA protect the morons issue not a VW issue...
      I'm sure they would gladly save R&D dollars not having to gimp a car if it were legal...
      It's a politics and liability problem that can't be rectified by VW...
      Last edited by Sf_Kilo; 11-07-2012 at 07:53 PM.

18. 11-07-2012 07:48 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by Sf_Kilo View Post
      Well for less than the cost of a tune you can buy a vag-com and disable the ESP....
      Didn't stop me especially since I already have a Vag-Com and just bought the car today...
      Haha...pretty sure you are in for a big surprise.

19. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R, 2004 Dodge Neon SRT-4
      11-07-2012 07:52 PM #19
      Can't disable on US spec cars period, though people are definitely trying to find a workaround. Vag-com ain't it.

Vehicles
      '12 Golf R
      11-07-2012 07:57 PM #20
      Incorrect, VAG-COM will not disable ESP.

Well a call to your congressman would have better chances of fixing the issue...
      Its a USA protect the morons issue not a VW issue...
      I'm sure they would gladly save R&D dollars not having to gimp a car if it were legal...
      It's a politics and liability problem that can't be rectified by VW...
      Incorrect, the manufacturer has the option to allow or not allow the disable in the U.S. market. VW chose not to. Use some common sense here...if it were a requirement than every new car launched in this market would not allow the disable. I assure you there are plenty that do.
      Scotch. It's time.

21. 11-07-2012 08:06 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by purefx View Post
      Can't disable on US spec cars period, though people are definitely trying to find a workaround. Vag-com ain't it.
      I kinda feel bad for Sf_Kilo right now. He seemed so confident that he'd be able to disable the ESP with a VAG cable.

Those videos DO look like fun climbingcue! Sorry for the US guys. There's really no reason to mandatorily have ESP in the car. There are hundreds of thousands of older sports cars ripping around all over the place that don't have any form of stability control. In my opinion, stability control should be set to 'off' by default. That way it releases the liabilty involved from disabling it. Responsible sensible drivers can then have the choice to make their experience even safer by enabling it. Similiar to the idea of seat belts.
      Last edited by DudeLePowSki; 11-07-2012 at 08:08 PM.

22. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R, 2004 Dodge Neon SRT-4
      11-07-2012 08:10 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by DudeLePowSki View Post
      I kinda feel bad for Sf_Kilo right now. He seemed so confident that he'd be able to disable the ESP with a VAG cable.

Those videos DO look like fun climbingcue! Sorry for the US guys. There's really no reason to mandatorily have ESP in the car. There are hundreds of thousands of older sports cars ripping around all over the place that don't have any form of stability control. In my opinion, stability control should be set to 'off' by default. That way it releases the liabilty involved from disabling it. Responsible sensible drivers can then have the choice to make their experience even safer by enabling it. Similiar to the idea of seat belts.
      I really feel we should be able to petition VW or something. It is law to have ESP but not law to be restricted from disabling it. It worked for opening up the ECU to standard flash tools with my old SRT-4. Who knows...

23. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 RB Golf R 2d
      11-07-2012 08:10 PM #23
      So what do we need to buy? Canadian ECU's? Or is there more to it than that?
      2012 RB 2D Golf.:R / APR Stage 1 / DG Sigma 6 / HPA 75 mount

Vehicles
      2013 VW Golf R
      11-07-2012 08:14 PM #24
      What is it?

Vehicles
      '12 Golf R
      11-07-2012 08:16 PM #25
      I really feel we should be able to petition VW or something.
      I'd really like to see something organized and I'd be willing to contribute to the effort. We need something like an open letter or open petition. Something visible, polite, professional. This isn't a "battle against VW". We need to communicate our displeasure with their decision and our desire for them to rectify it. We need to communicate a desire that we at least get a meaningful response from a VW representative as to why they made the decision despite there being no requirement to. We also would need as many owners and potential owners on board...not trying to convince themselves and others that it's ok so they don't have to admit there might be just 1 single flaw with their precious car.
      Scotch. It's time.

26. 11-07-2012 08:17 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by BlastedBilly View Post
      So what do we need to buy? Canadian ECU's? Or is there more to it than that?
      Hate to be the search police but this is one of the most polarizing and documented topics on vortex.

Sent via Nerdroid mobile.

Vehicles
      2013 Porsche Carrera 4S, 2004 Aprilia Scarabeo 500, 1988 VW Scirocco
      11-07-2012 08:25 PM #27
      if you hate it so much sell it now and cancel your vortex account.

bye

Vehicles
      Golf R
      11-07-2012 08:26 PM #28
      I really feel we should be able to petition VW or something. It is law to have ESP but not law to be restricted from disabling it. It worked for opening up the ECU to standard flash tools with my old SRT-4. Who knows...
      Same thing with the 6-speed E60 M5s. BMW ended up offering a reflash

Vehicles
      2013 VW Golf R
      11-07-2012 08:26 PM #29

I'll be waiting with bated breath for you to post a video of you driving your US-spec R with the ESP disabled. Don't disappoint!

Vehicles
      '12 Golf R
      11-07-2012 08:29 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by blefevre View Post
      Same thing with the 6-speed E60 M5s. BMW ended up offering a reflash
      Do you have any more information about that? Links to threads on BMW forums? Information about how it happened? Was there a petition, etc? Or, best of all, how to contact the people that made it happen?
      Scotch. It's time.

Vehicles
      '12 Golf R
      11-07-2012 08:30 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by climbingcue View Post
      Traction is great, but computers taking over control of the car when you don't want it to sucks... If you are not a driver you will never understand. 1st owner 04 R32 owners understand, they know what I am talking about. Many of the new Golf R owners are putting them on "Bags" anyone that does that does not care at all about driving... VW did many things better on the Golf R then the other R models. Being unable to disable the nanny computer destroys the purpose of the car. I am happy that many owners are happy driving a neutered car. That is not what I want out of any car.
      Oh I know. Being able to fully defeat stability control would be awesome but that still isn't a deal breaker to me. If you really wanted to, I'm sure you can find a way to turn off ESP all the way.

Vehicles
      2013 Golf R 2d S,S,&N CSG; 2012 Touareg TDi; 2010 Mustang GT, 2000 Beetle Turbo Baja
      11-07-2012 08:34 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by Time for a GTI View Post
      Incorrect, the manufacturer has the option to allow or not allow the disable in the U.S. market. VW chose not to. Use some common sense here...if it were a requirement than every new car launched in this market would not allow the disable. I assure you there are plenty that do.
      I stand corrected I re-read the requirements and you are correct that it does not specify that allowing the end user to disable stability control is forbidden...
      That being the case I still have to think they had good reason to do what they did...
      It's a short wheelbase AWD with a forward weight and drive bias, I'd imagine it would be pretty quick to rotate, if you aren't practiced enough to recover the consequences could be catastrophic...

I was under the impression that you could mask the effects of ESP enough to "have fun" via Vag-Com... If I'm wrong that's fine, I am always willing to be taught something new...
      None of the people I have spoken with regarding the subject would be what I consider experts so until I try it I can't say one way or another...

At the moment this is the grocery getter for me...
      The mustang is the track toy, and the Touareg tows the track toy and the boat...

If and when my skills on the track are hindered enough by ESP I'll worry about how to disable it when the R becomes the track toy, I have so many hours to put in before that is the case that it will likely never be an issue...

To be honest though my times at beaver run aren't faster stepping the mustang out beyond what the nanny will allow while on anyway so its kind of a null point for me...

Carry on with the oh god I can't do doughnuts thread...

Sorry I misspoke

Vehicles
      11-07-2012 08:35 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by BluDemon View Post

bye
      If you are willing to buy my car for full price I will sell it to you right now. I like vortex I have met many great friends over the 11 years I have been here. So I am not leaving, VW did one thing to destroy this car. Until someone is able to come up with a fix the car will never be what it was intended to be. I have waited almost a year for a fix and have contacted every tuner for a solution and it is not coming. The car is so close to being great, just one little software issue holding it back.

34. Banned
      Vehicles
      If I told you I'd be banned from TCL
      11-07-2012 08:37 PM #34

i used to work at that building

Vehicles
      Golf R
      11-07-2012 08:37 PM #35
      It's a short wheelbase AWD with a forward weight and drive bias, I'd imagine it would be pretty quick to rotate, if you aren't practiced enough to recover the consequences could be catastrophic...
      so, vw doesnt mind killing row, just not americans?

Quote Originally Posted by BluDemon View Post

bye
      u r one piece of work.
      Last edited by ThatVdub; 11-07-2012 at 08:42 PM.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast