Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Should Audi Bring the RS 4 Avant to America?

Vehicles
      a van
      11-14-2012 11:12 AM #141
      Quote Originally Posted by George@Fourtitude View Post
      Great pics. Would you mind if I published them on Fourtitude and added them to our photo gallery?

Incidentally, there were some pretty senior folks there from what I have herd. In the pics from Saturday that I've already seen, I can see the head of communications, the second senior most product planner and I hear that Scott Keogh (president of AoA) also turned out. I'm not sure who you spoke to, but the credibility factor was likely high.

In other news, I hear our Super Beetle project (from VWvortex) was also there. I had a conflict (a wedding) or otherwise I wish I could have made it down.
      Feel free to post up. Here are some more (from the same Flickr set) that verify what you've speculated

DSC_7770

DSC_7768

DSC_7809

DSC_7816

DSC_7819

DSC_7820

DSC_7811

DSC_7821

DSC_7731

DSC_7737

DSC_7739

Scott Keogh taking the RS4 back

DSC_7823

DSC_7824
      twitter x PSN:zerosaint x MUFC x FS: 18" 4x100 TRD Wheels
      Quote Originally Posted by MrSavvy View Post
      I'll break it down for you simple minded people. VWvortex. The VW stands for Volkswagen. And when you create a forum, admins can create sections within the forum. This forum has a section for general car chit-chat. The car lounge. So you see, even though it's a VW forum, you can still discuss other topics.

2. 11-14-2012 11:14 AM #142
      YES!!! but at what price point?

everyone is saying bring it (ME TOO) but what would you be willing to pay for an optioned rs4?

fully loaded?

nicely optioned?

base mode (if theres such a thing)l?

Vehicles
      MkV GTI and V70 3.2
      11-14-2012 11:14 AM #143
      RS 6 is currently between generations. It's out of production at the moment.
      I understand that... The E63 is a massive car compared to the RS4 because they're two different classes of car.

It'd be like comparing the RS3 with a C63 AMG.

Vehicles
      a van
      11-14-2012 11:18 AM #144
      Quote Originally Posted by NoDubJustYet View Post
      I understand that... The E63 is a massive car compared to the RS4 because they're two different classes of car.

I agree with you, I just threw the E63 comparo out there, since it was the only one that came to mind that was available stateside or will be available in the near future (that I know of) at the moment.
      twitter x PSN:zerosaint x MUFC x FS: 18" 4x100 TRD Wheels
      Quote Originally Posted by MrSavvy View Post
      I'll break it down for you simple minded people. VWvortex. The VW stands for Volkswagen. And when you create a forum, admins can create sections within the forum. This forum has a section for general car chit-chat. The car lounge. So you see, even though it's a VW forum, you can still discuss other topics.

Vehicles
      00' VR6T 12' V6 TDI 72' 914-6
      11-14-2012 11:53 AM #145
      Quote Originally Posted by NoDubJustYet View Post

I'm actually cross shopping this with the 911. Granted it will never be a 911, but it will provide me 9/10ths of the performance, with more utility at the same price point....plus I get AWD for free....
      Larry

Demokratikally Elekted Minister of Shekels of the Independent People's Republik of Offtopikstan

Vehicles
      '13 Subaru Outback
      11-14-2012 12:03 PM #146
      Quote Originally Posted by .LSinLV. View Post
      I'm actually cross shopping this with the 911. Granted it will never be a 911, but it will provide me 9/10ths of the performance, with more utility at the same price point....plus I get AWD for free....
      I dunno about 9/10ths of the performance. The limits of the 911 are most likely quite a lot higher; whether or not you'll access them is a different question.

Personally, and this is just me....I don't think performance and utility need to be in the same package. Too much compromise there.
      IPRO Meat-Director and High Minister of Terror-Grilling

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Man View Post
      The Terror Grill: Part restaurant, part amusement attraction, part gladiator arena, all profit.
      ARE YOU NOT SATIATED?!?!?!

Vehicles
      1986 Legs and/or 2014 Blue Non-MANual European Turbo Hatch
      11-14-2012 12:22 PM #147
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      I dunno about 9/10ths of the performance. The limits of the 911 are most likely quite a lot higher; whether or not you'll access them is a different question.

Personally, and this is just me....I don't think performance and utility need to be in the same package. Too much compromise there.
      Sometimes a man has to street race after bringing home the golden doodle from the groomer.

Vehicles
      11-14-2012 12:33 PM #148
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post

as a daily, there is no reason the RS4 would be a compromise over the 911. On the track that is a different story.

I'll add that I have a 914-6 that I can have way more fun in then ANY modern 911, as it really is a drivers car.

If I'm going to spend +$70K, then I want to be coddled and still be able to drive fast and ENJOY driving fast.....plus the wife can't get mad if we need to pick up friends for dinner or the like.
      Larry

Demokratikally Elekted Minister of Shekels of the Independent People's Republik of Offtopikstan

Vehicles
      11-14-2012 12:37 PM #149
      as a daily, there is no reason the RS4 would be a compromise over the 911. On the track that is a different story.

I'll add that I have a 914-6 that I can have way more fun in then ANY modern 911, as it really is a drivers car.

If I'm going to spend +$70K, then I want to be coddled and still be able to drive fast and ENJOY driving fast.....plus the wife can't get mad if we need to pick up friends for dinner or the like.
      I dunno, sure it's more commodious than a 911, but the backseat looks pretty pathetic. It seems like a Jetta would offer more rear room.

If you're taking people out for dinner, just bring the T-Reg.

Vehicles
      Current: Audi S4, Q5 TDI quattro, Porsche Boxster S, Dodge Dakota 4x4
      11-14-2012 12:51 PM #150
      Quote Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
      Yes. And I know you are biased.
      http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...ew?redirect=no

I posted Road and Track's and Car and Driver's opinion, not mine.

So you're saying they're biased for praising a "crap" driving car?

11-14-2012 12:51 PM #151
      I tried to make a point in the story of trying to be realistic. I personally don't think it helps to overplay demand to make it happen because that screws us down the road for future models.
      Of course not but I think is it obvious from threads like these that there is a pent up demand for S4 Avant. Some of us will buy the RS4 Avant... just because there is no S4, but I'm still pretty annoyed that Audi left us no choice. I'm in the market right now and I'm leaning towards waiting for F31 wagon. It shouldn't come down to this for someone who wants to buy Audi.

Any chance that S4 Avant will return for B9 model?

11-14-2012 12:59 PM #152
      auto trans, V8 with no torque and a bunch of carbon issues, count me out...

Vehicles
      2012 VW Golf TDI Highline MT
      11-14-2012 01:03 PM #153
      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      I dunno, sure it's more commodious than a 911, but the backseat looks pretty pathetic. It seems like a Jetta would offer more rear room.
      The B8 cars are not that big. I test drove an A4 Avant and it is too small for a family car. It fits 3 people comfortably but 4 is cramped and 5 looks like punishment. My MK6 Golf has similar rear room.

My household was looking at the A4 Avant and went with an A6 Avant instead due to cabin space and a far larger trunk.

This would still make a good car if you don't have a full family.
      Current: 2012 VW Golf TDI Highline MT
      Previous: 2003 VW Jetta 1.8T GLS MT | 2007 VW Rabbit 2.5 MT | 1997 Honda CRV

Vehicles
      2015 Audi A3 2.0TQ 2014 VW Golf TDI
      11-14-2012 01:06 PM #154
      I did a double take when I saw the RS4 in our garage. Honestly, I wouldn't look too far into it. There's been all kinds of stuff here like the Polo, Scirocco, A1, etc. that didn't have a chance of being sold in the U.S. I know it's blasphemy, but a QS5 would likely sell in much higher numbers than a RS4 Avant. Wouldn't be that much slower either.

Vehicles
      11-14-2012 01:25 PM #155
      Quote Originally Posted by masa8888 View Post
      I did a double take when I saw the RS4 in our garage. Honestly, I wouldn't look too far into it. There's been all kinds of stuff here like the Polo, Scirocco, A1, etc. that didn't have a chance of being sold in the U.S. I know it's blasphemy, but a QS5 would likely sell in much higher numbers than a RS4 Avant. Wouldn't be that much slower either.
      Who says they couldn't sell both?

For those worried about sales volume, they would only bring a few hundred RS4's over regardless of demand. Nobody expects to sell thousands of these things.

Vehicles
      11-14-2012 01:28 PM #156
      Quote Originally Posted by Shomegrown View Post
      Who says they couldn't sell both?

For those worried about sales volume, they would only bring a few hundred RS4's over regardless of demand. Nobody expects to sell thousands of these things.
      I wouldn't want them to. I like the exclusivity.
      Larry

11-14-2012 01:31 PM #157
      Quote Originally Posted by Double-V View Post
      Yes. Damn yes. I would buy one of these in a heartbeat if they came in at around $70K CDN. The problem with the B7 RS4 was that it was ridiculously priced for the Canadian market.
      They corrected that with the RS5. Starting MSRP is $77k CDN, going to $93K if you add every option on the books (including $6K for ceramic brakes and $1700 for adaptive cruise.)

And hell yes they should bring it.
      Fires are the leading cause of fires.

18. 11-14-2012 01:59 PM #158
      Since this is a question, I say bring it if it makes economic sense. I cant imagine the market for Avants being all that great, but if theres potential market growth, why not?

From a personal standpoint, I dont like Avants at all, so i dont care if it comes or not. Give me a coupe or sedan over the Avant variant any day!

19. Member
      11-14-2012 02:10 PM #159
      I wish I was in a position to afford an RS4 Avant, if I was I would want them to bring it over. I'm only short about $70k. I'd be happy with an S3 sportback.
      -------------------------
      99.5 A4 2.8 Q Tip
      73 914 2.0 / 2.7 conversion in progress
      64 356 SC
      65 Ducati Falcon 80

Vehicles
      11-14-2012 03:13 PM #161
      What would make the whole thing easier is if they'd just sell a sedan version. Yes, I know RS cars were originally wagons and wagons are the best and everyone helps their friend move every weekend and all that nonsense. I'm just saying with minimal effort they could have a much more popular RS4 sedan on our shores if they wanted to.

Vehicles
      11-14-2012 03:33 PM #162
      What would make the whole thing easier is if they'd just sell a sedan version. Yes, I know RS cars were originally wagons and wagons are the best and everyone helps their friend move every weekend and all that nonsense. I'm just saying with minimal effort they could have a much more popular RS4 sedan on our shores if they wanted to.
      RS cars aren't supposed to be popular.

Vehicles
      2013 BMW 335is
      11-14-2012 03:53 PM #163
      Give me the B7 body with the 2.7T.. I love how the V8 sounds but power delivery is not practical for normal driving.

23. 11-14-2012 03:54 PM #164
      Can it hold a rear facing child seat?

Honestly, it sounds like this car may actually come here. If so, it is definitely going on my top 3 list of next cars.

The B7 RS4 cost a stupid $100k here. With our dollar appreciating to par with the US, I expect a price within 5-7% of the US.

Vehicles
      2004 BMP R32
      11-14-2012 07:26 PM #165
      As for S4 Avants, I think you're wrong on how many were at dealers. That said, they were thirsty and expensive V8 wagons in an era when gas prices were quite high and they did not have the panache of an RS model. Arguably, the S4 Avant is different in that it is faster, more efficient and the S4 has been repositioned as the V6 model replacement. It thus turns higher volumes. I do not have any intel to support this, but I'd expect that with the brand's growth in volume that the S4 Avant may return at some point.
      I agree with that, it was the wrong car at that time for a family, but if they only sold 200 of them (as was pointed out and could be a totally wrong figure) they couldn't have realistically had that many of them available. It's not like they shipped back unsold inventory. They just weren't there. How many sedans were sold relative to the Avant?

I would love to see the current S4 Avant sold here as well. It makes the S4 go from a car I might hypothetically consider in a sea of similar vehicles to a car that has that extra something that sells me on it. The fact that the CTS-V comes in manual wagon combination, for me, it puts the CTS-V at the top of my list in that field. If the CTS-V doesn't have that configuration, I just see another competitor. (I realize the CTS-V is RS4 territory, just illustrating what I'm trying to say and I realize I'm totally off point)
      Last edited by rconn14; 11-14-2012 at 07:31 PM.
      http://r32registry.org/802 ||| Garage Banners
      Quote Originally Posted by donotcometoflorida View Post
      If my science data analysis on current trends is correct, I project that by the years 2018 - 2025, all car's body panels will be replaced entirely by grill.

25. Member
      Vehicles
      97 4Runner, 02 M3, 04 Challenge Stradale
      11-14-2012 07:34 PM #166
      Always nice to have more options, but very difficult to imagine this car being successful in the US market.

26. 11-14-2012 07:37 PM #167
      no

Vehicles
      Bent M
      11-14-2012 07:53 PM #168
      Here is the primary problem as far as I can tell:

Why can't we just get a tarted up 3.0T (S/C)? Why not the 2.5T from the TT-RS with MOAR boost?

Why, oh why, are we stuck with yet another generation of a 4.2L V8 that gets horrendous gas mileage, and will undoubtedly need a $8k-12k service at around 100,000 miles to replace a Rube Goldberg contraption of chains, tensioners, pulleys, and whatever the Audi engineers have managed to cram in between the engine and the transmission.

I love wagons, I love German cars, and I love fast German cars. This car does not do it for me. As many others have reiterated on here, I would much prefer an S4 Avant with some sort of option package to get the RS4 styling/brakes/seats.

I know this won't happen. But as it stands, I will not be spending $75k+ on this thing. There are just too many faster, better cars out there. Cadillac CTS-V comes to mind. So does the BMW M5 (though it is not offered as a wagon, admittedly, and is more expensive).

Give me a $55k S4 Avant, however, and you might be on to something.
      DO YOU HAVE A TURBO MINI COOPER? BUY MY JB+: http://www.northamericanmotoring.com...ml#post3982339
      2000 BMW M Roadster - 5-speed
      2014 Mazda Mazda6 - 6-speed

28. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 Audi S4 Premium Plus
      11-14-2012 08:24 PM #169
      As a current S4 owner, i wouldn't care of they didn't bring the RS4 Avant over here. However, if they brought an RS4, i will trade in my car and get one. Audi, you have my word.

Vehicles
      '13 Subaru Outback
      11-14-2012 08:29 PM #170
      I agree, I'd just spend the same $70k on something really fast and really capable for when I want that, and something with space and amenities for when I want that.
      IPRO Meat-Director and High Minister of Terror-Grilling

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Man View Post
      The Terror Grill: Part restaurant, part amusement attraction, part gladiator arena, all profit.
      ARE YOU NOT SATIATED?!?!?!

30. 11-14-2012 08:36 PM #171
      bring it to Canada please. we need awd, we have snow!

Vehicles
      11-14-2012 08:58 PM #172
      RS cars aren't supposed to be popular.
      Bullcrap. If Audi could only sell RS models they would. Quattro GmbH is still a business.

Vehicles
      11-14-2012 09:28 PM #173
      Uh, no.

One of the core values for their RS brand is "supercar rarity" or something like that. It's on paper. Believe it or not many of their customers wouldn't want RS cars if they were more popular.

quattro GmbH is a small company. It's not like they are even capable of making more cars than they are.

They intentionally make the RS cars limited run. They're happy to push S cars to higher volumes.
      I'm sure it's much like M's stated goals about never making SUVs or automatics or turbos.

Got it.

Vehicles
      2004 vw jetta wagon, 1990 vw jetta coupe, 1980 rabbit truck
      11-14-2012 09:31 PM #174
      Please bring it to the states. That is all.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ron@RMAMotorsport View Post
      real deal<p>After spending two months in the mk3 forum it drove into the woods and set fire to itself.

Vehicles
      11-14-2012 09:32 PM #175
      I'm sure it's much like M's stated goals about never making SUVs or automatics or turbos.

Got it.
      As usual, you clearly know best.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast