Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 09a gearbox failing when warm

1. 11-17-2012 05:53 PM #1
      hi have a 09a gearbox in 2003 Bora, the car has full gear selection when cold but when it warms up it only has reverse and park cannot select drive, 2nd, 3rd, 4th or any Tiptronic . We have changed all solenoids and refilled the oil. Also I have spoken to a few guys who have mentioned adjustment bands and adjusting these may help, Is this possible ?? The car is throwing off code 00652.
      Can any one please help as we are too far away from a vw repair shop.
      Cheers
      Last edited by feno; 11-17-2012 at 08:35 PM.

2. 11-17-2012 08:35 PM #2
      Hi again rectified code 00652 relooked at ATF levels. No code punched out now. Still no drive 4th 3rd 2nd or tiptronic.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2002 GTI
      11-18-2012 07:27 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by feno View Post
      hi have a 09a gearbox in 2003 Bora, the car has full gear selection when cold but when it warms up it only has reverse and park cannot select drive, 2nd, 3rd, 4th or any Tiptronic . We have changed all solenoids and refilled the oil. Also I have spoken to a few guys who have mentioned adjustment bands and adjusting these may help, Is this possible ?? The car is throwing off code 00652.
      Can any one please help as we are too far away from a vw repair shop.
      Cheers
      Does it drive when cold?
      What you do does not matter, how you do it does.

4. 11-18-2012 07:21 PM #4
      yes it drives when cold but only ok for first 5 - 10 mins then it loses all forward gears. Do you have any ideas???

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2002 GTI
      11-21-2012 08:19 AM #5
      yes it drives when cold but only ok for first 5 - 10 mins then it loses all forward gears. Do you have any ideas???
      My 2002 GTI, 09A tranny did the same thing, I was not introduced to Vagcom yet, it would run ok when cold, but once warm it moved too slow just like a pedestrian.
      I did research and ended up removing valvebody, put in 6 out of 9 solenoids and that cured the limp mode.it may be one or more solenoids, or the valve body may need to be rebuilt. Levelten in NJ repair them, the first time I did this the cost of 6 solenoids was about $800 that was okay compared to $6K I was quoted to replace the whole transmission. Now Cobra transmission sells those solenoids cheaper than worlImpex where I got mine.
      Ihope you can get it fixed.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2002 GTI
      11-21-2012 08:24 AM #6
      Hi again rectified code 00652 relooked at ATF levels. No code punched out now. Still no drive 4th 3rd 2nd or tiptronic.
      The other thing I can think of is a printed circuit board that is under the shifter, that also controls the shifting mechanism of the tiptronic.

Vehicles
      85 Jetta TD sold 2001 Jetta Tdi, 2000 Jetta Tdi
      11-21-2012 02:02 PM #7
      Quits moving warm means it needs a trans. (usually)
      Auto trans fluid change or flush will not make a trans fail. Stop spreading the wives tale/urban myth.
      ASE Master Certified Technician with L1 Advanced Diagnostic Rating Recently passed ASE certification for Light Diesel repair.
      www.KansasCityTdi.com