Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Links back to The Car Lounge (opens in same window)

Thread: Interior window fog

Vehicles
      2009 VW Rabbit
      11-23-2012 02:06 AM #1
      I have a 2009 VW Rabbit, and lately (as the temperatures have gotten colder), the inside of the windows often fog up. Particularly, the front windshield tends to build up quite a lot of fog on it. Also, cleaning it seems to make it worse rather than help, as fog tends to build up where I clean it, and many cleaners leave smears on the glass. Sometimes, the fog on the inside of the front windshield is so thick that I can almost see droplets of water forming.

A couple days ago, I bought some auto window cleaner, a microfiber window cloth, and Rain-X anti-fog. I cleaned the inside of the windows and then applied the anti-fog. The windows seemed nice and clean until tonight, when the windows fogged up on the inside again. The front windshield was pretty much totally covered with fog and smears from the glass cleaner.

I'm not sure if I'm not cleaning the windows correctly or if there's a moisture leak or if there is moisture trapped inside my car. Are there any special techniques, cleaners, or towels I could use to help prevent interior fog buildup? Or could there be a more serious issue? I'd rather not leave my defrost & A/C on all the time to de-fog my windows.

Vehicles
      Track ready, Supercharged R32+ Track-Ready Vw Polo 6N, with GTI motor.
      11-23-2012 02:47 AM #2
      It sounds to me that there is a source of moisture inside your car.

i had this issue too when I had a mini leak of water getting in through my fresh air vent (long story haha)

The moment I got rid of the water, I got rid of the issue you had.

Check your carpets if there are anything soggy, first and then take it from there

If youre able to leave your car in a garage overnight with the windows rolled down, that'd help as well.

good luck!

Vehicles
      E46 Touring and X5 M - FI FTW
      11-23-2012 05:15 AM #3
      AC is your friend

11-23-2012 06:16 AM #4
      Recirc constantly running in the closed position? If no then maybe it's stuck in the closed position.

Vehicles
      13 Toyota Tacome 13 Abarth Cabrio
      11-23-2012 06:54 AM #5
      What's wrong with running A/C on until the fog dissipates? Foggy windows is pretty common is it not?

6. Member
      11-23-2012 06:56 AM #6
      Yeah, it's almost always water somewhere in the car that causes it. If you can't find an appreciable amount anywhere it may take some time to find the source. You can try keeping some damp-rid in the car to see if it controls the moisture. GL.

Vehicles
      '93 Audi 80 (B4)
      11-23-2012 07:02 AM #7
      Our Audi is pretty bad with this. Damn thing fogs near instantly to the point where you need to pull over from not being able to see anything and the defroster on full blast does next to nothing towards lessening it.

Vehicles
      2010 MkVI MT TDI Golf, 2000 B5 4M Passat Wagon
      11-23-2012 07:12 AM #8
      OP, also check your hatch carpeting and spare tire well.

If obvious water intrusion is not the problem, you can buy inexpensive desiccants (Calcium Chloride) at most drug stores (e.g., CVS; "Damp Check"). Get a refill package while you are at it. They work pretty slowly, so be patient. Also, make sure to secure the container so as to avoid spillage of the caustic fluids.

In my Golf, on a damp and cold night, I can usually shut off the A/C portion of the defog setting after 5 minutes or so, and be fine with just the regular heat blowing at the windshield. YMMV.
      Aung San Suu Kyi

Vehicles
      01 Neon (sold), 07 Caliber MTX, 07 Quest S
      11-23-2012 09:40 AM #9
      dont leave the car parked overnight wiht the AC on the windshield defroster position, the condesation will flow from outside right into your windshield, switch the knob to the vents, and that way you dont get condensation in the morning

10. Member
      Vehicles
      Corvette & SV650
      11-23-2012 10:26 AM #10
      Moisture comes out of your mouth and your skin. The windows are really cold. Of course there's going to be fogging unless you get rid of the moisture. Many people prefer to run the A/C to make the moisture fog more on the A/C evaporator and less on the windows.
      Quote Originally Posted by apizzaparty View Post
      never thought once to use my lefty for the brake. sorry in my opinion it is dumb.

Vehicles
      87 Fox GL, 90 Audi 90 Quattro, 93 Passat VR6, 97 Jetta GT, 07 Passat 2.0T
      11-23-2012 03:36 PM #11
      I've had this issues with my past few VW's. Seems to be pretty common. If you don't want to run the A/C defroster combo, try popping the sunroof or cracking the two front windows. It will clear the fog pretty quick if you haven't allowed it to really build up.

12. Member
      11-23-2012 03:44 PM #12
      There is excess moisture in your car. Get a package of Damp Rid Closet Bags (Home Depot/Target/Walmart/Super market) usually about $3 for $10; hang one up and your problem will go away in a day or two.
      Jared
      Originally user 22691
      "I'm trying to live vicariously through jrod here and my vicarious
      life would be better if he had a twin turbo. Or a ****ing pirate
      ship." nm+

Vehicles
      a Lexus Hybrid
      11-23-2012 03:50 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Nightfox View Post
      I'd rather not leave my defrost & A/C on all the time to de-fog my windows.
      Then enjoy your window fog.

14. 11-23-2012 04:26 PM #14
      I always leave the A/C on if the windows are rolled up. Between rain, passengers etc, humidity will rise in the cabin if you dont get rid of it. Also to note , most VW/Audi cars will not allow the A/C compressor to cycle if the outside air temp drops below 40, so even if you did push the button it wont come on.

Vehicles
      2009 MINI Cooper JCW
      11-23-2012 04:26 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by Nightfox View Post
      I'd rather not leave my defrost & A/C on all the time to de-fog my windows.
      why not

11-23-2012 04:31 PM #16
      We have this on the inside of our "white van", but I don't think it's what you're talking about.

11-23-2012 04:31 PM #17
      Your a/c drain could be plugged. Does your car have a cowl vent? They have drains that can plug up.
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

I am confident you are wrong, but instead of illustrating why, I will just make disparaging remarks about your reading comprehension.
      -Zukjimpiphile

Vehicles
      '91 Jetta GLI, '85 Golf, '68 Beetle 'vert
      11-23-2012 07:11 PM #18
      My brother's '97 Civic has this problem. Not just fog- the inside of the windshield actually ices over every day in the winter. There isn't any water in the car, besides the normal melted snow. They've used damp-rid and that made it a little better but didn't solve it. He's ready to sell the car because of it. I've never had any car do it that bad, and I've owned all kinds of decrepit winter beaters with bad weatherstripping, like my Buick with a rear floor that looked like an ice rink.

Vehicles
      05 scion xA
      11-23-2012 07:26 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
      Moisture comes out of your mouth and your skin. The windows are really cold. Of course there's going to be fogging unless you get rid of the moisture. Many people prefer to run the A/C to make the moisture fog more on the A/C evaporator and less on the windows.
      this!!!

i always have to crack open my windows for a few minutes while driving down the road to get rid of fogging problem

20. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2007 Golf GTI
      11-23-2012 09:31 PM #20
      I had the same issue last fall (I have a 2007 GTI). It turned out to be the recirc flap motor that had burned out. This doesn't throw any error codes in VCDS.

My motor had failed with the flap in recirc mode, so the HVAC was always pulling air from inside the car. Check this first:

1) Open the glove box, and check the right-hand hole at the back of the manual shelf. You'll see the recirc flap

Fresh Air position

Recirc position

2) With the car ON, press the recirc button and see if the flap moves. If not, then your motor's dead.