Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TDI Haldex Mk1 caddy

1. 12-05-2012 02:30 AM #1
      I need a pickup truck that gets good mileage and that can still tow. I currently have a 2003 ALH that I have been using as a truck and I no longer want it full of exhaust parts so I picked up some Caddy's and a 2000 jetta TDI that lost its head due to a bad timing belt job. I have been working on sorting parts for the past 7 months and am finally to a point where I can start fabricating and assembling this truck. I will need some help with the more technical aspects of this build so please chime in if you have done something similar.

Now for the pictures:

ALH block, crank and accessories weighing down my current truck.

MY 02m gear box out of a TT. Now I need the TDI ratios to swap in.

I am currently waiting on some Roston rods. When they arrive I will be taking the bottom end to the machine shop to get the cylinders bored to match the pistons and have them assemble the bottom end. In the mean time I am going to start fabricating the rear subframe for the Haldex to mount to. I want this truck to sit low so it is going to be a challange to do with out chopping away at the bed. Wish me luck.
      Last edited by Anyclamp; 05-14-2013 at 06:33 PM. Reason: updated title
      Aeroexhaust.com
      My Caddy AWD build
      Instagram: #Aeroexhaust

12-05-2012 10:02 AM #2
      This is a cool build, the TDI 6-speed ratios you'll need are gonna be available in the european market as they had a 6-speed option on there TDI's believe its was for the later common rail engine but still the same idea. however i dont know what the R&P set up they run. you may want to check out tdi club fourms they will have all the detailed info. i know the one guys name is delvi and he has done a fwd 6-speed swap in his tdi and later swapped his ALH for a BEW (i think thats the common rail engine code). i ll check back your progress, good luck!
      ME7 MK4 1.8T/VR6 IMMOBILIZER DEFEATS available, NJ local, IM for details or call 908 887 0265
      Launch control NOW Available for most ME7 ECU's. MK4 VR6 Turbo Software with Launch Control and No Lift Shift!!

3. 12-05-2012 03:45 PM #3
      I have sourced the 6 speed tdi gear set already and just need to pay the guy. We have decided to go compound turbos on this truck so do check back.
      Aeroexhaust.com
      My Caddy AWD build

Vehicles
      '03 GTI 1.8FT, '88 Jetta Coupe.
      12-06-2012 12:16 AM #4
      this will be interesting.
      good luck.
      I have HEX-CAN VAGCOM. PM me if you want me to come out to you.
      The Apartment Build.
      My Down Souf build/progress thread
      Look what I brought home today! (sitting in SoCal)
      Quote Originally Posted by 87vr6 View Post
      Stop. Sell your VW, get off vortex.

5. 12-06-2012 03:50 PM #5
      I am going to need it.

Heres my Manual Haldex controller so I can do away with the wheel position sensors. I tried to get the F-town unit but they would not respond to me. SQS gave me a good deal on this one shipped. Stand up guy if you need haldex stuff.
      Last edited by Anyclamp; 12-06-2012 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Adding a picture
      Aeroexhaust.com
      My Caddy AWD build

6. 12-14-2012 07:33 PM #6
      Sorry I got a bit side tracked. I picked up a Corrado that needed some love and so it took my attention for a couple weeks. It should be finished the end of next week and then back to the truck. In the mean time my friends shop got rid of a couple cars so now the rabbit truck can go inside for some fab work.
      Aeroexhaust.com
      My Caddy AWD build

7. 12-14-2012 07:43 PM #7
      I am looking for suggestions for my motor mounts. Since I am running the ALH diesel engine I am wondering if there might be a softer poly bushing I could use or if i should just go with a higher durometer rubber mount? I have always used poly on gas cars but am open to hearing the choir.

Anyone have experience with these: http://www.034motorsport.com/chassis...i-p-13092.html
      Aeroexhaust.com
      My Caddy AWD build

8. 12-20-2012 01:58 PM #8
      No advice on the motor mounts? Dang. looks like we will just have to make some. i think I will go with 70 durometer poly with some aluminum inserts.

Well I have my christmas present from my wife arriving today so I will post pics soon.
      Aeroexhaust.com
      My Caddy AWD build

9. 12-20-2012 02:41 PM #9

Now the engine is ready to be assembled.
      Aeroexhaust.com
      My Caddy AWD build

10. 12-20-2012 06:18 PM #10
      They just got here and look pretty good.

I know I don't need bumpers yet but they were a good deal and I wanted carbon fiber or chrome euro bumpers and these were less then the chrome ones so I snagged them.
      Aeroexhaust.com
      My Caddy AWD build

11. 01-08-2013 07:28 PM #11
      Just got my gearbox from Europe now I get to swap ratios with my other 02m gearbox.
      I will be selling the front wheel drive gearbox when the gears are swapped. Any offers?
      Aeroexhaust.com
      My Caddy AWD build

Vehicles
      Golf TDI, G60 & SLC Corrado's and a 4Runner
      01-11-2013 01:01 PM #12
      I think Nothing Leaves Stock in PA makes motor mounts for this swap. Have you checked out TDIclub at all? A couple people have done compound turbo's on ALH's. Most go with a 17/22 but quite a few have stepped up to the 22/60 turbos. Looks like you're headed in the right direction with Rosten rods and a girdle. What pistons did you go with? Any plans on coating them and/or dropping the compression ratio? Sticking with 1.9L or are you bumping up to 2.0? What are your plans for the head/cam? What's the plan for fuel delivery? Haldex will be sweet!!
      Corrado's aren't temporary distractions. They'll literally rob you blind. Ask me how I know. Good luck on the build! My Dad has a caddy and I've thought for a while that it would be cool to make it a TDI.
      -Joey

I Corrado's!!
      Army OIF Veteran

Vehicles
      1991 350 SD Mercedes Benz, 2003 Jetta TDi 1987 Mercedes Benz (R.I.P Alice)
      02-11-2013 11:02 AM #13
      If I were you, Try the stock motor mounts for now. The stiffer they are in the TDI's the more vibration you get from the motor. The 60 durometer dog bone mount in my car made if feel like it was going to rattle apart. If you can, try to find some 50 durometer mounts. Not horribly stiff, but enough to make a difference.
      W126 Mercedes 350SD

14. 02-21-2013 09:54 AM #14
      The engine is almost finished.
      I went with a colt stg 2 cam, TT dual springs and ported the exhaust ports and slightly ported the intakes.

I am going to run Kerma's 1856 hybrid turbo until I can get a manifold made and compound turbos.
      Aeroexhaust.com
      My Caddy AWD build

15. 02-21-2013 09:58 AM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by GT TDI Golf View Post
      I think Nothing Leaves Stock in PA makes motor mounts for this swap. Have you checked out TDIclub at all? A couple people have done compound turbo's on ALH's. Most go with a 17/22 but quite a few have stepped up to the 22/60 turbos. Looks like you're headed in the right direction with Rosten rods and a girdle. What pistons did you go with? Any plans on coating them and/or dropping the compression ratio? Sticking with 1.9L or are you bumping up to 2.0? What are your plans for the head/cam? What's the plan for fuel delivery? Haldex will be sweet!!
      Corrado's aren't temporary distractions. They'll literally rob you blind. Ask me how I know. Good luck on the build! My Dad has a caddy and I've thought for a while that it would be cool to make it a TDI.
      From what I have found nobody makes motor mounts for this to work with the MK1. Gotta make mk4 work.

I am using pd 150 pistons. It is bored .5 over to accommodate them.

I understand the cost of owning a corrado. My friend is a corrado but and has about 6 of them laying around.
      Aeroexhaust.com
      My Caddy AWD build

Vehicles
      Golf TDI, G60 & SLC Corrado's and a 4Runner
      02-21-2013 08:50 PM #16
      Could have sworn that NLS had mounts for this swap. I'm running Kerma's 1856 and have been for almost 5 years. Great power and IMHO an excellent turbo for a daily driver that won't leave a smoke screen every time you decide to go WOT. I bought a stg 3 Colt cam but it won't fit in my head without some clearance work. I need to trade it in for a stg 2.
      -Joey

I Corrado's!!
      Army OIF Veteran

Vehicles
      97 Black GLX, RIP 97 White 8vT Jetta Trek
      02-22-2013 04:32 AM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by root beer View Post
      It's Timmy with mmmmMojo, i have returned
      8VALVETURBO - RIP White Jetta

18. 03-07-2013 07:04 PM #18
      The long block is put together. Pictures to come shortly. Man am I happy!
      Aeroexhaust.com
      My Caddy AWD build

19. 03-08-2013 09:55 AM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by Anyclamp View Post

Now the engine is ready to be assembled.
      Did you measure the big ends before installation? I have seen some scary things with those rods just getting installed without being checked for roundness.

20. 03-08-2013 10:03 AM #20
      Sure did.
      Aeroexhaust.com
      My Caddy AWD build

21. 03-09-2013 09:28 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by Anyclamp View Post
      Sure did.

22. 03-13-2013 07:46 PM #22
      So i started stripping the wiring harness and the engine out of the parts car to put into the truck. The new long block is built and about ready to paint.
      Colt stg 2 cam lightly ported head, TT dual valve springs cryo treated. New valves, guides and lifters.
      1/2" girdle with ARP hardware.
      My helper was sick on Saturday so I substituted him for a new tire when dropping the engine and gear box. Gear box sold that day and has now financed the purchase of a Peloquin Diff for my AWD 02m gear box. I have decided to make a trip towing 3 gear boxes out to Diesel Land in Denver to have him do the gear swapping for me. He has done this before, so I feel he is the man for the job.
      Aeroexhaust.com
      My Caddy AWD build

23. 03-25-2013 08:32 PM #23
      That girdle kit looks good . Make sure the 4 smaller main cap washers go on #1 and #5 main caps. I presume the spacers under the girdle were machined to give .001-.002" clearance between plate and block?

Give me a holler if you ever have any tdi questions .

24. 03-26-2013 04:48 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by Whitbread View Post
      That girdle kit looks good . Make sure the 4 smaller main cap washers go on #1 and #5 main caps. I presume the spacers under the girdle were machined to give .001-.002" clearance between plate and block?

Give me a holler if you ever have any tdi questions .
      Thanks Whitbread!

I do have a question for you. Did you machine your pistons on the passat in order to have valve to piston clearance or was it fine with the 3 hole head gasket? I am refering to the compound turbo passat. I had the machine shop deck the block a tiny bit and now am freaking out because the said they didn't check the clearance when they put the pistons in. I find this out a week after they give it back to me.
      Aeroexhaust.com
      My Caddy AWD build

25. 04-17-2013 12:14 PM #25
      I have still been collecting parts and striping both cars.
      Drained the fuel tank and the diesel worked great in the pressure washer burner. I can't belive the 8 year old diesel could still be good.
      Bay is almost ready for some fab work.
      Found a little rust under the carpet. For a Utah Truck this is un heard of.
      Started pulling everything off the under carriage.
      Got the MK 4 dash out and am ready to pull the harness from the TDI. Anyone need some airbags and the controller? They are for sale.
      Aeroexhaust.com
      My Caddy AWD build

26. 04-17-2013 12:23 PM #26
      I was going to DieselLand this weekend to have my gears swapped from the Euro Tdi box to the 02M awd box and I had ordered a Peloquin LSD a couple months back and still have not received it so it looks like I will just be dropping off the box and have to come back in a couple weeks to pick it up. I am going to drop by KermaTDI while I am out there and say hi to all the guys that have been hooking me up with parts. Hopefully the diff gets here soon so we can get the engine and trans fitted.
      Aeroexhaust.com
      My Caddy AWD build

04-17-2013 01:27 PM #27
      how much was the euro tdi box your using to swap gears from into the TT gear box? ive been wanting to do this swap for a long time but never found gears in the price range id be willing to pay.
      CNC plasma services, offering custom parts, tig welding, sheet metal work,boost tubes, cages made in house, paint/body VAG-COM. need parts made?
      exit0customs mk2 build
      TT-Build APR 225 TT stg3+ For Sale
      dCivW

Vehicles
      '12 RB R, '65 Mustang Fastback-sold, 24v GLI-sold
      04-18-2013 12:20 PM #28
      this is going to be awesome!

29. 04-18-2013 02:30 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by carsluTT View Post
      how much was the euro tdi box your using to swap gears from into the TT gear box? ive been wanting to do this swap for a long time but never found gears in the price range id be willing to pay.
      I can't remember the exact price but I think it was around $1300 when exchange rates were good.
      Aeroexhaust.com
      My Caddy AWD build

30. 05-14-2013 02:51 PM #30
      I have been working on the subframe and another project at the same time.

Subframe partially welded. Center brace is just sitting there. I will need to get the frame test mounted before I can weld the center brace in.

I have been cutting and grinding away with a flap disc to get rid of a bunch of undercoating and un needed metal brackets. Doesn't look like I have done much but I have got rid of about 7 lbs of crap.

Not finished but getting close. Second subframe is a lot closer to where I needed to be. Measure once cut twice.

And here is the project that is slowing me down. Almost finished and then I can really concentrate.
      Aeroexhaust.com
      My Caddy AWD build

31. 05-15-2013 11:53 AM #31
      what year is that? looks pre-unit! love it.

32. 05-15-2013 01:23 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by miketweedie View Post
      what year is that? looks pre-unit! love it.

The motor is a 1955 t110. I have bought all external parts at swap meets or on ebay. I wanted a fully restored t110 but they are pretty hard to come by so I built a boober out of pieces that I could find. Thanks
      Aeroexhaust.com
      My Caddy AWD build

33. 05-20-2013 05:01 PM #33
      I broke down and purchased the 02m gearbox mounts and 06A block mount from Retrofication.
      I am going to use these to get the engine and trans mounted in the truck and line everything up then start fabricating the perches for the mk4 mounts to go in. http://www.retrofication.co.uk/mk1-g...-kit-187-p.asp I don't think the stock frame bracket will hold half the amount of torque we are shooting for so that is why we are going this route. Let me know if you have experience otherwise.

We ordered the clutch and flywheel from http://www.kermatdi.com/servlet/the-8364/Clutch/Detail They did not have the correct clutch in stock so they special ordered it for us. Its the Southbend k70287-ss-ofe and flywheel 0503.

Does anyone have any corado seats they want to let go of for a good price. Fabric does not need to be perfect but bolsters do.
      Aeroexhaust.com
      My Caddy AWD build

34. 06-05-2013 05:33 PM #34
      I just got my clutch and flywheel yesterday now I am waiting to get the gearbox back from diesel land and then the gearbox and block will be getting painted then the fun will begin.

Oh I also got a 15 lb bottle of NOS just to keep it interesting.
      Last edited by Anyclamp; 06-13-2013 at 02:38 PM. Reason: added pictures
      Aeroexhaust.com
      My Caddy AWD build

35. 06-13-2013 03:58 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by GT TDI Golf View Post
      I now have 2 Corrado's. My brother bought a 93 slc that needed some love and he just let it sit for a couple months in our parents drive. Needless to say my old man called and said he wants it gone. So I picked it up and put a new clutch slave and master in it and am now working on changing out the motor mounts to stage.5 from black forrest industries and upgrading the control arm bushings to poly. Hopefully I can sell it quick to finance more parts for this caddy.
      Aeroexhaust.com
      My Caddy AWD build

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast