Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More Weight Reduction Mk4 Chassis

1. Member formerly silveratljetta's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2000 Jetta 1.8T Racecar, 2001 Jetta 2.slow daily beater
      12-05-2012 11:51 PM #1
      Trying to get creative with weight reduction without compromising strength or chassis integrity.

Has anyone cut out the rear spare tire well and replaced it with either a sheet aluminum plate or sheetmetal plate?

How much does the spare tire well weigh in a MK4?

Obviously sheet aluminum plate would be lighter but would require screws or rivets to be held in place.

I am open to suggestions.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      87abat drag gti, 95 jetta beater
      12-06-2012 12:17 AM #2
      I take it carpet, padding, sound deadening material is all stipped from the car, maybe under coating along with heater box, obviously its not a daily if your wanting to cut up the floor. run lighter seats, plastic windows, light body panels before you start cutting the floor out of it.

3. Member formerly silveratljetta's Avatar
      Vehicles
      12-06-2012 12:26 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by rabbitchaser View Post
      I take it carpet, padding, sound deadening material is all stipped from the car, maybe under coating along with heater box, obviously its not a daily if your wanting to cut up the floor. run lighter seats, plastic windows, light body panels before you start cutting the floor out of it.
      Have to keep the front interior to run T/S class so carpet is still in. No seats other than 1 Kirkey bucket.

Sunroof was deleted replaced with aluminum plate.

All door speakers and wiring removed. Radio gone. Simple stuff so far.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      87abat drag gti, 95 jetta beater
      12-06-2012 12:35 AM #4
      can you loose the padding under the carpet along with sound deadening adhesive on the floor pan?,

also loose the heater box and rebar behind the dash, and cut down the rebar in the bumpers, but only if its a track only car, don't want so see anyone get hurt in a wreak and no proper bumpers.

5. Member formerly silveratljetta's Avatar
      Vehicles
      12-06-2012 12:48 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by speeding-g6O View Post
      he he he.... lil Richie.
      he he he...

6. Member
      Vehicles
      03 vw gti ...WWW.STEVEBILT.COM
      12-06-2012 05:09 PM #6
      I have all this removed
      heat
      AC
      heater box
      the thick pad under the carpet
      scrap up everything off the floor boards
      2 kirkey seats
      no front rebar
      c/f hood
      speakers
      radio
      rear wiper
      spare tire
      front sway bar

and the car weighs 2500 with out me in it
      i still have the CF hatch and sunroof delete panel to install.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      94 golf
      12-06-2012 06:47 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by formerly silveratljetta View Post
      Have to keep the front interior to run T/S class so carpet is still in. No seats other than 1 Kirkey bucket.

Sunroof was deleted replaced with aluminum plate.

All door speakers and wiring removed. Radio gone. Simple stuff so far.
      Need 2 seats for T/S

8. Member formerly silveratljetta's Avatar
      Vehicles
      12-06-2012 08:34 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by bonesaw View Post
      Need 2 seats for T/S
      Yes I got 1 to start make sure I had the right size.

9. Member formerly silveratljetta's Avatar
      Vehicles
      12-06-2012 10:39 PM #9
      well, i cant stand your bitch ass, its well known. you trash talked on me tons for no reason at all and now you have, with me, bdcoombs status.

you are, in my opinion, a mouthy little whiny punk bitch. did i forget anything? nope, i did not. after all, my First Amendment Right to free speech allows me to voice my opinion, and so i have voiced. gonna sue me, assistant public defender?

if you are so smart, why ask here? REALLY..... its a solid question. since you said "after all anyone can slap on a 42R, have Kevin tune your car and run 9's...." why would you need to debase yourself and ask this dumb question? you know it all. you already have the magic theory. just do it FFS.

can you cut out the spare tire well and plate it? SURE. i did it on both cars.

i dont think you possess the intelligence nor the ability to attempt what you THINK you are going to be able to do, kid. just keepin it real.

and IDKWTF your problem is/was with me, but congrats on your bd-status.
      Just looking to bounce ideas off of people, you know move things in a forward direction. If you don't care about that, which clearly you don't, then it might be a better idea to take your comments to facebook, twitter, or some other social media where you can better exercise your 1st Amendment rights. Probably a better idea than a little car forum with a bunch of dudes.

Better yet, run for office. Aaron for POTUS 2016!!! Do your thing big man

10. 12-06-2012 10:39 PM #10
      well, i cant stand your bitch ass, its well known. you trash talked on me tons for no reason at all and now you have, with me, bdcoombs status.

you are, in my opinion, a mouthy little whiny punk bitch. did i forget anything? nope, i did not. after all, my First Amendment Right to free speech allows me to voice my opinion, and so i have voiced. gonna sue me, assistant public defender?

if you are so smart, why ask here? REALLY..... its a solid question. since you said "after all anyone can slap on a 42R, have Kevin tune your car and run 9's...." why would you need to debase yourself and ask this dumb question? you know it all. you already have the magic theory. just do it FFS.

can you cut out the spare tire well and plate it? SURE. i did it on both cars. if you use steel the NHRA requires .024 min thickness for firewalls, etc. and it is 1lb/sq ft. if you want to use aluminum, you need a minimum of .032 thickness, and its weight is ~0.47 lb/sq ft. thats all the help i am going to give your punk ass.

i dont think you possess the intelligence nor the ability to attempt what you THINK you are going to be able to do, kid. just keepin it real.

and IDKWTF your problem is/was with me, but congrats on your bd-status.

11. 12-06-2012 10:46 PM #11
      i guess its time, then, it is after all almost the weekend. trainwreck, full steam ahead. since you like to do it to other peoples threads, lets continue your trend and do it to you. so you can cry to someone and have this deleted too, like your pathetic attempt at a build thread. Parker Performance in da HOUSE! everyone must pay respect and BOW to a guy who runs 16.x seconds in the 1/8th mile..... when even a stock 1.8T in ANY CAR runs much better than that.

Uh oh its almost the weekend is this thread about to come undone again
      i like doing this, its a shame i am going to do it here though. its ok with me. its you i dislike, and you who deserves this type of sh!t treatment back at you.

Vehicles
      01 Jetta Wolfsburg Ed, 04 Jetta GLI 24v 6spd
      12-06-2012 11:00 PM #12

My Thread Fk AK Coilovers, Full 3" Exhaust, Custom FMIC, Forge Evo14 BOV, Forge Unos MBC, Forge Throttle Body Hose, Prothane Dog Bone Mount, BFI STG 1 Eng/Trans Mounts, Sachs VR6 Clutch Kit, TT Short Shifter, Siemens 630s, Walbro 255, DBB Garrett 50 Trim Turbo Kit, Eurodyne 630cc MAFLESS PAGPARTS FTW -- STEVEBILT.COM -- Integrated Engineering -- FourSeasonTuning.com Don't Buy Anything From *ChunkyPeanuts*

13. Member formerly silveratljetta's Avatar
      Vehicles
      12-06-2012 11:01 PM #13

i like doing this, its a shame i am going to do it here though. its ok with me. its you i dislike, and you who deserves this type of sh!t treatment back at you.
      I seriously do not care if you trash my 7 post question thread in the Drag Racing forum.

If it brings even a little joy into your life, by all means continue...

I have trial in the morning so I'll check back later tomorrow

Vehicles
      12-06-2012 11:10 PM #14

My Thread Fk AK Coilovers, Full 3" Exhaust, Custom FMIC, Forge Evo14 BOV, Forge Unos MBC, Forge Throttle Body Hose, Prothane Dog Bone Mount, BFI STG 1 Eng/Trans Mounts, Sachs VR6 Clutch Kit, TT Short Shifter, Siemens 630s, Walbro 255, DBB Garrett 50 Trim Turbo Kit, Eurodyne 630cc MAFLESS PAGPARTS FTW -- STEVEBILT.COM -- Integrated Engineering -- FourSeasonTuning.com Don't Buy Anything From *ChunkyPeanuts*

Vehicles
      2001 Vw GTI
      12-07-2012 07:26 AM #15
      ]

formerly silveratljetta Banned Remove from Ignore List LIFE IS GOOD
      He's a douche in real life. I know him personally. Lol Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk
      "Admittedly I am" formerly silveratljetta

Vehicles
      2001 Vw GTI
      12-07-2012 03:07 PM #16
      He's a douche in real life. I know him personally. Lol Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      89 jetta carat, 90 gti vrt
      12-07-2012 04:44 PM #17
      Please go back to the mk4 forum with this crap
      67mm - vrt
      mad slow

18. Member formerly silveratljetta's Avatar
      Vehicles
      12-07-2012 07:41 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by JoHnsVrT View Post
      Please go back to the mk4 forum with this crap

Back on topic
      Last edited by formerly silveratljetta; 12-27-2012 at 11:23 AM.

Vehicles
      12-07-2012 08:13 PM #19

Vehicles
      12-07-2012 08:13 PM #20

21. Member
      Vehicles
      mk2 24V VR6
      12-23-2012 11:49 PM #21
      Trying to get creative with weight reduction without compromising strength or chassis integrity.

Has anyone cut out the rear spare tire well and replaced it with either a sheet aluminum plate or sheetmetal plate?

How much does the spare tire well weigh in a MK4?

Obviously sheet aluminum plate would be lighter but would require screws or rivets to be held in place.

I am open to suggestions.

y do all this if USP runs 10.6 on a 6057

22. 12-24-2012 01:15 AM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by A267MM View Post
      y do all this if USP runs 10.6 on a 6057
      why would you ask the owner/operator of a successful race shop and race car builder. this is Richard Parker of Parker Performance you are asking this question of, you do realize this right? REAL car builders and race car owner/builder/operators dont need to ask a measly car forum such simple questions of this nature.

"Here at Parker Performance, our 9 second solution is simple! Just slap on a 42R, have Kevin tune it, and run 9's!! its so simple, even children can do it!!!"

23. Member
      Vehicles
      mk2 24V VR6
      12-24-2012 11:16 AM #23
      why would you ask the owner/operator of a successful race shop and race car builder. this is Richard Parker of Parker Performance you are asking this question of, you do realize this right? REAL car builders and race car owner/builder/operators dont need to ask a measly car forum such simple questions of this nature.

"Here at Parker Performance, our 9 second solution is simple! Just slap on a 42R, have Kevin tune it, and run 9's!! its so simple, even children can do it!!!"
      Rofl lol ****ing awesome

24. Member formerly silveratljetta's Avatar
      Vehicles
      12-24-2012 02:25 PM #24

Lots of talk from someone who until recently couldn't bolt their own motor together without following someone around the shop for days

Vehicles
      MK2 wannabe Drag car
      12-24-2012 02:56 PM #25
      BUT he can now right? he can do it thats the point..
      90 4 dr jetta 2L 20V PTE 6262 at 30 psi 10.95 @ 135 mph 2250lbs (94 octane pump gas street car)

26. 12-24-2012 04:25 PM #26
      nah. depends on what you consider recently. last year i built ground up, by myself completely, the 20v for my kids first car. woohoo big deal right..... plus, i have never CLAIMED to be any more than i am nor do anymore than i can. i am, unfortunately, my own worst critic.

and i think someone is mistaking two different things. its not that i CANT, its that i CHOOSE NOT TO. when i have someone who knows much more about it than i do OFFERING TO DO THAT FOR ME, especially because he is one of the people who sponsors my race efforts, then why should i? i can do it myself, if i wanted to.

i dont know what this "follow around the shop for days" refers to, but its cool by me, i try to be involved with the building of my stuff when i can. and sometimes i am not able to, therefore i pick it up when it is complete.

just keepin it real, Richie.... keepin it real. you are the one with the problem, for some God-knows-why reason. haterism is a bitch i guess. jealousy too.

27. Member formerly silveratljetta's Avatar
      Vehicles
      12-24-2012 11:15 PM #27
      nah. depends on what you consider recently. last year i built ground up, by myself completely, the 20v for my kids first car. woohoo big deal right..... plus, i have never CLAIMED to be any more than i am nor do anymore than i can. i am, unfortunately, my own worst critic.

and i think someone is mistaking two different things. its not that i CANT, its that i CHOOSE NOT TO. when i have someone who knows much more about it than i do OFFERING TO DO THAT FOR ME, especially because he is one of the people who sponsors my race efforts, then why should i? i can do it myself, if i wanted to.

i dont know what this "follow around the shop for days" refers to, but its cool by me, i try to be involved with the building of my stuff when i can. and sometimes i am not able to, therefore i pick it up when it is complete.

just keepin it real, Richie.... keepin it real. you are the one with the problem, for some God-knows-why reason. haterism is a bitch i guess. jealousy too.
      Lol keep following me around the vortex maybe ill teach you how to clean your block, maybe even bolt up a cylinder head or two

28. Member
      Vehicles
      mk2 24V VR6
      12-24-2012 11:41 PM #28
      Lol keep following me around the vortex maybe ill teach you how to clean your block, maybe even bolt up a cylinder head or two
      Or.install caliper carrier bolts

Vehicles
      12-26-2012 10:22 AM #29

Parked Performance you mean LOL.

30. Member formerly silveratljetta's Avatar
      Vehicles
      12-26-2012 10:32 AM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by Big_Tom View Post
      Parked Performance you mean LOL.
      Says the guy who can't break 400whp lol good one Tom Tom

Vehicles
      2001 Vw GTI
      12-26-2012 10:36 AM #31

Vehicles
      12-26-2012 11:44 AM #32
      Says the guy who can't break 400whp lol good one Tom Tom
      is that supposed to be a joke? never said i was trying to do that. u know good and god damned well what my power goals are as much as you troll my thread pu$$Y so don't play stupid... FACTS are i made more power on a 100% stock engine block than you did with that bucket ass "race car" and i daily drove, put 60k miles on my car big turbo stock block. you were parked for months, then couldn't get your sh*t to rev above 5500 rpms for a while schwartz walked your bitch ass with his rigged up setup schwartz had a ebay tube and fin intercooler you post a sorry ass gt3076r vid, every cracked on that ****. car was very lazy, you were running 24psi making less power than me on 22 psi you are a disgrace, your car is a disgrace, shut your face now faget

33. Member formerly silveratljetta's Avatar
      Vehicles
      12-26-2012 12:44 PM #33
      Tom why you living in the past?
      You know I was losing fuel pressure from a bad intank pump. Replaced the pump, problem solved. For god sake your whole Chinese downpipe cracked in half

We all have problems from time to time. The point is that no matter how much you like to talk, there is no point in history where your bucket wouldn't get completely embarrassed by me should you ever actually show up at the track

Vehicles
      12-26-2012 12:54 PM #34
      Tom why you living in the past?
      You know I was losing fuel pressure from a bad intank pump. Replaced the pump, problem solved. For god sake your whole Chinese downpipe cracked in half

We all have problems from time to time. The point is that no matter how much you like to talk, there is no point in history where your bucket wouldn't get completely embarrassed by me should you ever actually show up at the track
      COOL STORY

LOL tell it again... and also tell em about the PAG downpipe I have now

35. 12-26-2012 01:02 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by gdoggmoney View Post
      There's been too much butt sniffing before this dog fight.
      PagPartsTurbo www.speeding-g60.com INTEGRATEDengineering

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast