Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Results 1 to 25 of 30

    Thread: Vr6 Tuning

    1. Member
      Join Date
      Feb 20th, 2011
      Location
      Rhode Island... 401<3
      Posts
      1,309
      Vehicles
      2001 1.8t Jetta, 1964 Meyers Manx, 1997 E420
      12-08-2012 09:49 AM #1
      Can anyone shed some light on VR6 computer tuning? Is there software available that will allow you to tune the ecu at home.
      BooBoo2KGolf // Ben // IG: LivinLow401
      Quote Originally Posted by SlayStation:
      I don't know about you but I don't ride a he. It's a she, I drive her. I'm in control, she's a skank, she's my b*tch.

    2. Member
      Join Date
      Feb 20th, 2011
      Location
      Rhode Island... 401<3
      Posts
      1,309
      Vehicles
      2001 1.8t Jetta, 1964 Meyers Manx, 1997 E420
      12-08-2012 01:30 PM #2
      But then how do others do it? Unitronic, C2, Gonzo etc?
      BooBoo2KGolf // Ben // IG: LivinLow401
      Quote Originally Posted by SlayStation:
      I don't know about you but I don't ride a he. It's a she, I drive her. I'm in control, she's a skank, she's my b*tch.

    3. Member ps2375's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 13th, 2003
      Location
      Meridian, ID
      Posts
      11,796
      Vehicles
      80 Rabbit(DEAD), 94 Golf, '69 Type1 Sedan
      12-08-2012 01:36 PM #3
      with very expensive tools.
      Tradition is the art of making the same mistake repeatedly, on purpose.

    4. Member Ultramagnus0001's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 21st, 2006
      Location
      Allentown, PA
      Posts
      745
      Vehicles
      2001 Gti VR6
      12-08-2012 01:53 PM #4
      I had to take my ecu out and send it out, then they added their own tune by replacing the chip and made it removable. I have my factory if chip i want to put it back.
      You can get a smooth, quiet, floaty car and fall asleep waiting to get from point A to B, or enjoy getting there.
      To be good at racing, you have to change your name to Sebastien.

    5. Member
      Join Date
      Feb 20th, 2011
      Location
      Rhode Island... 401<3
      Posts
      1,309
      Vehicles
      2001 1.8t Jetta, 1964 Meyers Manx, 1997 E420
      12-08-2012 05:40 PM #5
      So the challenge comes from replacing the stock PROM with another?
      BooBoo2KGolf // Ben // IG: LivinLow401
      Quote Originally Posted by SlayStation:
      I don't know about you but I don't ride a he. It's a she, I drive her. I'm in control, she's a skank, she's my b*tch.

    6. Member
      Join Date
      Feb 18th, 2012
      Location
      Lehigh Valley, Pa
      Posts
      566
      Vehicles
      92 Corrado SLC/2010 JSW TDI/2002 Jetta 1.8t
      12-08-2012 08:05 PM #6
      Depends on what ecu you have. Some have removable eproms, you can replace them with a tuned chip. Some are soldered in, they either have to be sent out or get an ecu that has removable eprom.

    7. Member ps2375's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 13th, 2003
      Location
      Meridian, ID
      Posts
      11,796
      Vehicles
      80 Rabbit(DEAD), 94 Golf, '69 Type1 Sedan
      12-09-2012 12:24 PM #7
      plus you have to be able to "crack the code" and know what and how to change in the program on the chip. It's not like it comes up in an easy to read table like in MS or something.
      Tradition is the art of making the same mistake repeatedly, on purpose.

    8. Member
      Join Date
      Feb 20th, 2011
      Location
      Rhode Island... 401<3
      Posts
      1,309
      Vehicles
      2001 1.8t Jetta, 1964 Meyers Manx, 1997 E420
      12-09-2012 04:59 PM #8
      So theres no other easy to find mask files for them..
      BooBoo2KGolf // Ben // IG: LivinLow401
      Quote Originally Posted by SlayStation:
      I don't know about you but I don't ride a he. It's a she, I drive her. I'm in control, she's a skank, she's my b*tch.

    9. 12-11-2012 10:02 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by izzo View Post
      It is not possible because of the internal design of the motherboard in the ECU.
      I seriously don't even know where to start with this comment.


      Seriously guys, why do you even comment on this stuff with zero knowledge of the topic.






      Yes, you can.

      Are you OBD1 or 2?

      1 is pretty simple, 2 isn't so much. Both are doable at home for under $100 invested. Definitions for obd1 are out there, as well as a few halfassed template files. Even if you have no understanding of hex, and can't decompile it yourself, you can still do alot... just be prepared to spend ALOT of time reading, and learning. Scaling for injectors, moving limiters, getting rid of DTC checks, etc is all pretty easy and basic, after that it gets to be a lot more in depth, as there isn't a user friendly software that is dedicated to M5.9, so you have to do alot of legwork. It's all out there, just not in one package. You can't just open one program, load a rom, move some sliders, click some check boxes, have it auto scale for maf/injectors, auto calc checksum, etc like alot of other systems. You have to do it all manually.


      Someone could whip up some OBD1 5.9 specific software pretty easy, but everyone with the ability knows its easier to just get VW owners to pay $200 for a canned tune, sell hundreds/thousands of them, and make a killing, and who could blame them since 99% of the community efforts don't get past bolting on wheels.

    10. Member
      Join Date
      Feb 20th, 2011
      Location
      Rhode Island... 401<3
      Posts
      1,309
      Vehicles
      2001 1.8t Jetta, 1964 Meyers Manx, 1997 E420
      12-12-2012 12:05 AM #10
      Thank you, now we may be getting somewhere.
      What about for OBDII? Thats where the real challenge is. Is tuning "possible" through the OBDII port in say a MK3 or 4?
      BooBoo2KGolf // Ben // IG: LivinLow401
      Quote Originally Posted by SlayStation:
      I don't know about you but I don't ride a he. It's a she, I drive her. I'm in control, she's a skank, she's my b*tch.

    11. Member
      Join Date
      Dec 13th, 2009
      Location
      Southern MN
      Posts
      349
      Vehicles
      1987 VW Cabriolet, 1982 VW Vanagon Westfalia
      12-12-2012 07:16 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by JohnStamos View Post
      I seriously don't even know where to start with this comment.


      Seriously guys, why do you even comment on this stuff with zero knowledge of the topic.






      Yes, you can.

      Are you OBD1 or 2?

      1 is pretty simple, 2 isn't so much. Both are doable at home for under $100 invested. Definitions for obd1 are out there, as well as a few halfassed template files. Even if you have no understanding of hex, and can't decompile it yourself, you can still do alot... just be prepared to spend ALOT of time reading, and learning. Scaling for injectors, moving limiters, getting rid of DTC checks, etc is all pretty easy and basic, after that it gets to be a lot more in depth, as there isn't a user friendly software that is dedicated to M5.9, so you have to do alot of legwork. It's all out there, just not in one package. You can't just open one program, load a rom, move some sliders, click some check boxes, have it auto scale for maf/injectors, auto calc checksum, etc like alot of other systems. You have to do it all manually.


      Someone could whip up some OBD1 5.9 specific software pretty easy, but everyone with the ability knows its easier to just get VW owners to pay $200 for a canned tune, sell hundreds/thousands of them, and make a killing, and who could blame them since 99% of the community efforts don't get past bolting on wheels.
      Very interested in this. You have any links or info to help get a guy started? Where can I find a chip reader?

    12. Member
      Join Date
      Feb 20th, 2011
      Location
      Rhode Island... 401<3
      Posts
      1,309
      Vehicles
      2001 1.8t Jetta, 1964 Meyers Manx, 1997 E420
      12-12-2012 10:03 AM #12
      Ive only been ableto find OBD1 stuff =.

      Check out http://www.moates.net/ he makes a ton of cool products for tuning.

      Google "TunerPro" Freeware/shareware tuning software.

      But then the difficult part comes from the Mask files, which basically tell the software how to read the programing on the chip.
      BooBoo2KGolf // Ben // IG: LivinLow401
      Quote Originally Posted by SlayStation:
      I don't know about you but I don't ride a he. It's a she, I drive her. I'm in control, she's a skank, she's my b*tch.

    13. Member
      Join Date
      Dec 13th, 2009
      Location
      Southern MN
      Posts
      349
      Vehicles
      1987 VW Cabriolet, 1982 VW Vanagon Westfalia
      12-12-2012 01:01 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by booboo2kgolf View Post
      Ive only been ableto find OBD1 stuff =.

      Check out http://www.moates.net/ he makes a ton of cool products for tuning.

      Google "TunerPro" Freeware/shareware tuning software.

      But then the difficult part comes from the Mask files, which basically tell the software how to read the programing on the chip.
      Thanks, mine is OBD 1 so I will check these out.

      Also found ECUCONNECTIONS.com

      A forum dedicated to this. Haven't had much time to explore it yet and you can't even look at the stuff without becoming a member.


    14. Former Advertiser
      Join Date
      May 13th, 2009
      Location
      Mass
      Posts
      1,524
      Vehicles
      Germans & Scandinavians
      12-18-2012 09:43 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by booboo2kgolf View Post
      Ive only been ableto find OBD1 stuff =.

      Check out http://www.moates.net/ he makes a ton of cool products for tuning.

      Google "TunerPro" Freeware/shareware tuning software.

      But then the difficult part comes from the Mask files, which basically tell the software how to read the programing on the chip.
      I used Moates a few years back, and as stated earlier its not for the faint of heart. If you understand hex its not so bad, but definitions were not readily available and last I messed with it STILL were not. Its interesting for someone who has nothing better to do and wants to screw around with programming. For the majority of the community its simpler to purchase whats readily available.

    15. 12-18-2012 09:59 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by Phil@VerdictMotorsports View Post
      For the majority of the community its simpler to purchase whats readily available.

      And this mentality right here is exactly why templates and definitions aren't readily available like other communities.

      Noone want's to do ANYTHING in this community. They want everything handed to them. If it requires ACTUAL effort and, GASP, learning something, it is "too much work".



      There ARE definition files out there. Motronic 5 isn't that complicated. I had ZERO coding/programming experience beyond light C++ before messing with any of this, and I was able to figure it out in no time.

      99.9% of people have ZERO clue on what to touch for desired results even if there was a fool proof template provided, so the hurdle of figuring out the coding aspect is EASY in comparison to ACTUALLY tuning.


      If anyone has doubts in themselves, think: If Gonzo, who has near ZERO understanding of what he is doing, can make half decent tunes and sell them to the masses, you can manage it on your own vehicle.

    16. Member
      Join Date
      May 12th, 2010
      Posts
      794
      Vehicles
      95 VrT, 04 R32
      12-19-2012 07:41 AM #17
      Jacking with a semi closed system seems like abstraction to me, but then I do stuff like that all the time, so who's to say.

    17. Member Einkaufswagen's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 25th, 2009
      Location
      Rhode Island
      Posts
      8,080
      Vehicles
      2001 Baltic Green Jetta GLX, 2003 W8 Passat Wagon 6speed, 1982 Mk1 Caddy ABA
      12-20-2012 03:46 PM #18
      For OBD II cars there is a program called Lemiwinks that you can use to tweak the ECU within its allowed tolerances.

      See here:
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...inks-The-guide

      If your changeing cams or doing any crazy work this program will not work. It also wont work if your ecu is already chiped or whatever Stock OBD2 ECU's only.

      It worked well for me when i had 268 cams and i dident want to buy a chip because i knew i was going turbo in a year or 2 so i used it to dial my ecu in to run a little better with the 268 while i waited for the turbo and my real tune from whoever.
      My OEM+ Builds & Timelines: Einkaufswagen's MK4 Build, Einkaufswagen's W8 Timeline, Einkaufswagen's Mk1 Caddy Rebuild
      Cars Owned: 1999.5 Jetta VR6 GLS, 2000 Jetta VR6 GLX, 2001 Jetta VR6 GLX, 2001 Jetta VR6 GLX, 2004 Jetta GLI 1.8T, 2000 GTI 1.8T, 2004 Jetta GLI 1.8T, 2003 Passat Wagon W8 6Speed 1982 Rabbit Caddy ABA 2008 D3 A8 4.2

    18. Member DBL_TKE's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2nd, 2010
      Location
      Aloha, OR
      Posts
      609
      Vehicles
      '04 R32, '91 Chevy Camaro Z28
      02-02-2013 06:15 AM #19
      This is exciting. I'm familiar with TunerPro RT for tuning my Camaro. Now I just need to find the stock definition files and masks for an OB1 VR6. Is there anywhere I can find these?
      '92 GTI | 12v VR6 | FK Highsport coilovers | 16x8.5" Corvette Salad Shooters | 205/40/16 | full MK3 front subframe/rear beam | Zimmerman front/rear rotors | TT chip | TT exhaust

      My MK2 VR6 build thread

    19. Member
      Join Date
      Jul 9th, 2009
      Location
      Dirty jerz
      Posts
      927
      Vehicles
      97 jetta GLX
      02-02-2013 08:02 AM #20
      what software/program does gonzo use then for obdII? does anyone know
      Quote Originally Posted by root beer View Post
      "You see, i'm from Jersey."

      That'll cover about anything.
      VRalliance #6

    20. Member
      Join Date
      Jan 18th, 2009
      Location
      Windermere, Fl
      Posts
      3,131
      Vehicles
      2011 mazdaspeed3 tech package, 2010 mitsubishi outlander xls tech package
      02-03-2013 11:29 PM #21
      I was just thinking about doing this with a vr6 to get better fuel mileage. Something like a fuel economy tun. Mess with the timing and try to feed the car as little fuel as possible to get better mpgs. Have it running on 4 cylinders lol and when you want your power pack to have it preloaded to your other settings.It works for guys on the ecomodding sites so don't see why it won't work here. I just have to get a vr6 again so I can tinker.

    21. 02-03-2013 11:43 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by JohnStamos View Post
      If anyone has doubts in themselves, think: If Gonzo, who has near ZERO understanding of what he is doing, can make half decent tunes and sell them to the masses, you can manage it on your own vehicle.
      Why don't you put your money where your mouth is? If you think I don't have a clue of what I'm doing, let's meet at a dyno and see who can get the most out of a car.

      Better yet, let's see who can come up with the BEST features on these ECU's.

      Launch control based on clutch pedal:


      Adjustable 2-step:


      And just so you see what goes behind the scenes, behind the maps, in the actual assembly code:

      Assembling code with Keil compiler


      Analyzing differences between files

      Come at me "JohnStamos". I want to see what YOU have done with these cars, if anything at all

    22. 02-04-2013 02:24 AM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by RecycleBin View Post
      Why don't you put your money where your mouth is? If you think I don't have a clue of what I'm doing, let's meet at a dyno and see who can get the most out of a car.

      Better yet, let's see who can come up with the BEST features on these ECU's.

      Launch control based on clutch pedal:


      Adjustable 2-step:


      And just so you see what goes behind the scenes, behind the maps, in the actual assembly code:

      Assembling code with Keil compiler


      Analyzing differences between files

      Come at me "JohnStamos". I want to see what YOU have done with these cars, if anything at all



      Remember the thread where you posted your POS car misfiring with your "gonzo tuning" Chinese sourced "ko4 hybrid" and you trying to tout it off as being "a great new turbo design I had made for the 1.8t community that builds 20psi in neutral with no antilag!!!"

      Yeah, I'll never waste my time on you. You just have the threads blackholed and delete you posts when you get torn apart, so whats the point?



      Why the new name? You get banned AGAIN? Maybe some of the companies out there finally got sick of you disassembling their files and copying them as your own.

    23. 02-04-2013 09:44 AM #24
      Yawn. All I hear is "bla bla bla I'm not gonna answer the question because I know I'm a pussy and I'm not on his level"

      Grow a pair. If you talk the talk you must be able to walk the walk.

    24. Member DBL_TKE's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2nd, 2010
      Location
      Aloha, OR
      Posts
      609
      Vehicles
      '04 R32, '91 Chevy Camaro Z28
      02-04-2013 09:50 AM #25
      .bin and .xdf files... Does anyone know where I can locate the stock stuff?
      '92 GTI | 12v VR6 | FK Highsport coilovers | 16x8.5" Corvette Salad Shooters | 205/40/16 | full MK3 front subframe/rear beam | Zimmerman front/rear rotors | TT chip | TT exhaust

      My MK2 VR6 build thread

    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •