Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Vr6 Tuning

1. Member
      Vehicles
      1999.5 12v 5 speed jetta
      12-08-2012 10:49 AM #1
      Can anyone shed some light on VR6 computer tuning? Is there software available that will allow you to tune the ecu at home.
      BooBoo2KGolf // Ben // IG: LivinLow401
      Quote Originally Posted by SlayStation:
      I don't know about you but I don't ride a he. It's a she, I drive her. I'm in control, she's a skank, she's my b*tch.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      1999.5 12v 5 speed jetta
      12-08-2012 02:30 PM #2
      But then how do others do it? Unitronic, C2, Gonzo etc?
      I don't know about you but I don't ride a he. It's a she, I drive her. I'm in control, she's a skank, she's my b*tch.

Vehicles
      80 Rabbit(DEAD), 94 Golf
      12-08-2012 02:36 PM #3
      with very expensive tools.
      Tradition is the art of making the same mistake repeatedly, on purpose.

Vehicles
      2001 Gti VR6
      12-08-2012 02:53 PM #4
      I had to take my ecu out and send it out, then they added their own tune by replacing the chip and made it removable. I have my factory if chip i want to put it back.
      You can get a smooth, quiet, floaty car and fall asleep waiting to get from point A to B, or enjoy getting there.
      To be good at racing, you have to change your name to Sebastien.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      1999.5 12v 5 speed jetta
      12-08-2012 06:40 PM #5
      So the challenge comes from replacing the stock PROM with another?

6. Member
      Vehicles
      92 Corrado SLC/2010 JSW TDI
      12-08-2012 09:05 PM #6
      Depends on what ecu you have. Some have removable eproms, you can replace them with a tuned chip. Some are soldered in, they either have to be sent out or get an ecu that has removable eprom.

Vehicles
      80 Rabbit(DEAD), 94 Golf
      12-09-2012 01:24 PM #7
      plus you have to be able to "crack the code" and know what and how to change in the program on the chip. It's not like it comes up in an easy to read table like in MS or something.
      Tradition is the art of making the same mistake repeatedly, on purpose.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      1999.5 12v 5 speed jetta
      12-09-2012 05:59 PM #8
      So theres no other easy to find mask files for them..

9. 12-11-2012 11:02 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by izzo View Post
      It is not possible because of the internal design of the motherboard in the ECU.
      I seriously don't even know where to start with this comment.

Seriously guys, why do you even comment on this stuff with zero knowledge of the topic.

Yes, you can.

Are you OBD1 or 2?

1 is pretty simple, 2 isn't so much. Both are doable at home for under $100 invested. Definitions for obd1 are out there, as well as a few halfassed template files. Even if you have no understanding of hex, and can't decompile it yourself, you can still do alot... just be prepared to spend ALOT of time reading, and learning. Scaling for injectors, moving limiters, getting rid of DTC checks, etc is all pretty easy and basic, after that it gets to be a lot more in depth, as there isn't a user friendly software that is dedicated to M5.9, so you have to do alot of legwork. It's all out there, just not in one package. You can't just open one program, load a rom, move some sliders, click some check boxes, have it auto scale for maf/injectors, auto calc checksum, etc like alot of other systems. You have to do it all manually.

Someone could whip up some OBD1 5.9 specific software pretty easy, but everyone with the ability knows its easier to just get VW owners to pay $200 for a canned tune, sell hundreds/thousands of them, and make a killing, and who could blame them since 99% of the community efforts don't get past bolting on wheels.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      1999.5 12v 5 speed jetta
      12-12-2012 01:05 AM #10
      Thank you, now we may be getting somewhere.
      What about for OBDII? Thats where the real challenge is. Is tuning "possible" through the OBDII port in say a MK3 or 4?

11. Member
      Vehicles
      1987 VW Cabriolet, 1982 VW Vanagon Westfalia
      12-12-2012 08:16 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by JohnStamos View Post
      I seriously don't even know where to start with this comment.

Seriously guys, why do you even comment on this stuff with zero knowledge of the topic.

Yes, you can.

Are you OBD1 or 2?

1 is pretty simple, 2 isn't so much. Both are doable at home for under $100 invested. Definitions for obd1 are out there, as well as a few halfassed template files. Even if you have no understanding of hex, and can't decompile it yourself, you can still do alot... just be prepared to spend ALOT of time reading, and learning. Scaling for injectors, moving limiters, getting rid of DTC checks, etc is all pretty easy and basic, after that it gets to be a lot more in depth, as there isn't a user friendly software that is dedicated to M5.9, so you have to do alot of legwork. It's all out there, just not in one package. You can't just open one program, load a rom, move some sliders, click some check boxes, have it auto scale for maf/injectors, auto calc checksum, etc like alot of other systems. You have to do it all manually.

Someone could whip up some OBD1 5.9 specific software pretty easy, but everyone with the ability knows its easier to just get VW owners to pay $200 for a canned tune, sell hundreds/thousands of them, and make a killing, and who could blame them since 99% of the community efforts don't get past bolting on wheels.
      Very interested in this. You have any links or info to help get a guy started? Where can I find a chip reader?

12. Member
      Vehicles
      1999.5 12v 5 speed jetta
      12-12-2012 11:03 AM #12
      Ive only been ableto find OBD1 stuff =.

Check out http://www.moates.net/ he makes a ton of cool products for tuning.

Google "TunerPro" Freeware/shareware tuning software.

But then the difficult part comes from the Mask files, which basically tell the software how to read the programing on the chip.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      12-12-2012 02:01 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by booboo2kgolf View Post

But then the difficult part comes from the Mask files, which basically tell the software how to read the programing on the chip.
      Thanks, mine is OBD 1 so I will check these out.

Also found ECUCONNECTIONS.com

A forum dedicated to this. Haven't had much time to explore it yet and you can't even look at the stuff without becoming a member.

14. Former Advertiser
      Vehicles
      Germans & Scandinavians
      12-18-2012 10:43 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by booboo2kgolf View Post

I used Moates a few years back, and as stated earlier its not for the faint of heart. If you understand hex its not so bad, but definitions were not readily available and last I messed with it STILL were not. Its interesting for someone who has nothing better to do and wants to screw around with programming. For the majority of the community its simpler to purchase whats readily available.

15. 12-18-2012 10:59 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by Phil@VerdictMotorsports View Post
      For the majority of the community its simpler to purchase whats readily available.

And this mentality right here is exactly why templates and definitions aren't readily available like other communities.

Noone want's to do ANYTHING in this community. They want everything handed to them. If it requires ACTUAL effort and, GASP, learning something, it is "too much work".

There ARE definition files out there. Motronic 5 isn't that complicated. I had ZERO coding/programming experience beyond light C++ before messing with any of this, and I was able to figure it out in no time.

99.9% of people have ZERO clue on what to touch for desired results even if there was a fool proof template provided, so the hurdle of figuring out the coding aspect is EASY in comparison to ACTUALLY tuning.

If anyone has doubts in themselves, think: If Gonzo, who has near ZERO understanding of what he is doing, can make half decent tunes and sell them to the masses, you can manage it on your own vehicle.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      Mk3 VrT Gti
      12-19-2012 08:41 AM #17
      Jacking with a semi closed system seems like abstraction to me, but then I do stuff like that all the time, so who's to say.
      OBD1, Mk3 12v, 3L, HG, 8.5, JE, stock rods, 263, 3"DP to 3" MBS, Kinetic Mani, t3/t4 .63ar, Intercooled, PW39, C2 36# 4 bar, IE 044 surge, Stock intake, Peloquin, AEM truboost/uego/fp, Mocal OC

Vehicles
      2001 Baltic Green Jetta GLX, 2003 W8 Passat Wagon 6speed, 1982 Mk1 Caddy ABA
      12-20-2012 04:46 PM #18
      For OBD II cars there is a program called Lemiwinks that you can use to tweak the ECU within its allowed tolerances.

See here:
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...inks-The-guide

If your changeing cams or doing any crazy work this program will not work. It also wont work if your ecu is already chiped or whatever Stock OBD2 ECU's only.

It worked well for me when i had 268 cams and i dident want to buy a chip because i knew i was going turbo in a year or 2 so i used it to dial my ecu in to run a little better with the 268 while i waited for the turbo and my real tune from whoever.
      My OEM+ Builds & Timelines: Einkaufswagen's MK4 Build, Einkaufswagen's W8 Timeline, Einkaufswagen's Mk1 Caddy Rebuild
      Cars Owned: 1999.5 Jetta VR6 GLS, 2000 Jetta VR6 GLX, 2001 Jetta VR6 GLX, 2001 Jetta VR6 GLX, 2004 Jetta GLI 1.8T, 2000 GTI 1.8T, 2004 Jetta GLI 1.8T, 2003 Passat Wagon W8 6Speed 1982 Rabbit Caddy ABA

Vehicles
      '92 GTI VR6, '86 Audi 4000S, '80 Datsun 280zx, '85 Chevy Camaro Z28, '91 Chevy Camaro Z28
      02-02-2013 07:15 AM #19
      This is exciting. I'm familiar with TunerPro RT for tuning my Camaro. Now I just need to find the stock definition files and masks for an OB1 VR6. Is there anywhere I can find these?
      '92 GTI | 12v VR6 | FK Highsport coilovers | 16x8.5" Corvette Salad Shooters | 205/40/16 | full MK3 front subframe/rear beam | Zimmerman front/rear rotors | TT chip | TT exhaust

My MK2 VR6 build thread

19. Member
      Vehicles
      97 jetta GLX
      02-02-2013 09:02 AM #20
      what software/program does gonzo use then for obdII? does anyone know
      Quote Originally Posted by root beer View Post
      "You see, i'm from Jersey."

That'll cover about anything.
      VRalliance #6

20. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 mazdaspeed3 tech package, 2010 mitsubishi outlander xls tech package
      02-04-2013 12:29 AM #21
      I was just thinking about doing this with a vr6 to get better fuel mileage. Something like a fuel economy tun. Mess with the timing and try to feed the car as little fuel as possible to get better mpgs. Have it running on 4 cylinders lol and when you want your power pack to have it preloaded to your other settings.It works for guys on the ecomodding sites so don't see why it won't work here. I just have to get a vr6 again so I can tinker.

21. 02-04-2013 12:43 AM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by JohnStamos View Post
      If anyone has doubts in themselves, think: If Gonzo, who has near ZERO understanding of what he is doing, can make half decent tunes and sell them to the masses, you can manage it on your own vehicle.
      Why don't you put your money where your mouth is? If you think I don't have a clue of what I'm doing, let's meet at a dyno and see who can get the most out of a car.

Better yet, let's see who can come up with the BEST features on these ECU's.

Launch control based on clutch pedal:

Adjustable 2-step:

And just so you see what goes behind the scenes, behind the maps, in the actual assembly code:

Assembling code with Keil compiler

Analyzing differences between files

Come at me "JohnStamos". I want to see what YOU have done with these cars, if anything at all

22. 02-04-2013 03:24 AM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by RecycleBin View Post
      Why don't you put your money where your mouth is? If you think I don't have a clue of what I'm doing, let's meet at a dyno and see who can get the most out of a car.

Better yet, let's see who can come up with the BEST features on these ECU's.

Launch control based on clutch pedal:

Adjustable 2-step:

And just so you see what goes behind the scenes, behind the maps, in the actual assembly code:

Assembling code with Keil compiler

Analyzing differences between files

Come at me "JohnStamos". I want to see what YOU have done with these cars, if anything at all

Remember the thread where you posted your POS car misfiring with your "gonzo tuning" Chinese sourced "ko4 hybrid" and you trying to tout it off as being "a great new turbo design I had made for the 1.8t community that builds 20psi in neutral with no antilag!!!"

Yeah, I'll never waste my time on you. You just have the threads blackholed and delete you posts when you get torn apart, so whats the point?

Why the new name? You get banned AGAIN? Maybe some of the companies out there finally got sick of you disassembling their files and copying them as your own.

23. 02-04-2013 10:44 AM #24
      Yawn. All I hear is "bla bla bla I'm not gonna answer the question because I know I'm a pussy and I'm not on his level"

Grow a pair. If you talk the talk you must be able to walk the walk.

Vehicles
      '92 GTI VR6, '86 Audi 4000S, '80 Datsun 280zx, '85 Chevy Camaro Z28, '91 Chevy Camaro Z28
      02-04-2013 10:50 AM #25
      .bin and .xdf files... Does anyone know where I can locate the stock stuff?
      '92 GTI | 12v VR6 | FK Highsport coilovers | 16x8.5" Corvette Salad Shooters | 205/40/16 | full MK3 front subframe/rear beam | Zimmerman front/rear rotors | TT chip | TT exhaust

My MK2 VR6 build thread

Vehicles
      1984 GLi 20v, '13 335is, '85 Golf, '10 Ninja
      02-04-2013 08:57 PM #26
      i recently switched from
      unitronic after 5 years on my 1984 20vBT. the difference was insane, better part throttle, better and more accurate fuelign and timing. just a ton better to drive regularly and WOT. spool was more soilid and just dialed. and i'm not the average BT 1.8t, i have more than a turbo and injectors. he worked with me to solidify the tune to my setup, which has cams, bottom end, head work, meth, billet wheels, etc.

i also switched from APR to Gonzo on my R32...night and day!! once again, all over improved, i can now pull on my buddies stg2 revo 20v where as before he would get me by a car. the adjustable 2step is great, i brought it down to 3200rpm and man..out of the hole like a mofo.

i was also a HUGE hater towards gonzo until a friend took the dive. and i was grossly wrong. don't knock until you try. his software is legit and affordable with more options than others.

i came from autronic on my previous vehicles or expensive flashes. my buddy with the revo car is switching as well as a couple others, including a TDi.

before my car would roast 3rd well into 120's now it will destroy 4th as well. good thing i have racelogic traction control lol. i am now super stoked to go 1000cc.
      :HOMEGROWN MOTORSPORTS:1:4.9 SuaSponte #13Dead Rabbits. Ungluck on IG
      Quote Originally Posted by frechem View Post
      I like my women how I like my whiskey; aged 18 years and mixed up with coke.
      GTS Dealer.MK!forLife

02-05-2013 01:34 PM #27
      i have me7 vr6 complete damos/a2l ,multiple .bin's and even an xdf im working on for when i turbo my car in spring time. i like winols for checksums but prefer tunerpro for editing maps , visually it more pleasing i feel. im currently using the me7.1.1 in my mk3 vr6. well worth the effort in the swat and learing the ways of me7. ive been working with the ecus for a year now and it is finally paying off.
      ME7 MK4 1.8T/VR6 IMMOBILIZER DEFEATS available, NJ local, IM for details or call 908 887 0265
      Launch control NOW Available for most ME7 ECU's. MK4 VR6 Turbo Software with Launch Control and No Lift Shift!!

27. Member
      Vehicles
      1999.5 12v 5 speed jetta
      02-05-2013 03:10 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by vwmaniac16vr6 View Post
      i have me7 vr6 complete damos/a2l ,multiple .bin's and even an xdf im working on for when i turbo my car in spring time. i like winols for checksums but prefer tunerpro for editing maps , visually it more pleasing i feel. im currently using the me7.1.1 in my mk3 vr6. well worth the effort in the swat and learing the ways of me7. ive been working with the ecus for a year now and it is finally paying off.

05-01-2013 10:52 AM #29
      I have been working on Launch control and no lift shift for the me7 vr6 ecu and im just about done with it. Im going to incorporate that into my turbo tune as i feel its an important option for a front wheel drive car.
      ME7 MK4 1.8T/VR6 IMMOBILIZER DEFEATS available, NJ local, IM for details or call 908 887 0265
      Launch control NOW Available for most ME7 ECU's. MK4 VR6 Turbo Software with Launch Control and No Lift Shift!!

29. Member
      Vehicles
      05-05-2014 09:44 AM #30
      Reviving this thread.

I have been playing around with tuning Motronic 2.9 with Tunerpro for a while now. I understand the mapping files that are out there and I think I have improved upon the one for my car. I can read and edit the main fuel and ignition maps, rev limiter, etc. I do not yet understand how you would go about adding, moving, or changing the size of tables. Maybe I do not need to do this for what I want to accomplish.

I would like to add launch control. I have seen people talking about adding it to these controllers. Does anyone have a bin file with launch control built in that I could look at? Or can anyone offer any hints as to where I would start?