Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How To Drive a Cord 810 Preselector Transmission...I'll Need To Know This When I Go To Heaven...

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '05 Camry XLE
      12-09-2012 07:05 PM #1
      This very interesting (for anyone interested in Cords anyway) video will really come in handy when I arrive in Paradise and take my first drive in my own Cord. Of course, I'll have eternity to study the owner's manual, but I'll still be impatient to hit the heavenly highway with mine.

Do you enjoy old cars and long-winded stories about them? If your answer is "yes", then you might enjoy my blogpage. Try it here: http://vwlarry.blogspot.com . Leave a comment, too; I love feedback! Thanx for reading.

“To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.” - Aristotle

Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      12-09-2012 07:15 PM #2
      Cool......

But what was the point of the pre-selector?

Was it because the gears were hard to shift manually due to a lack of synchros, so the pre-selector would use spring loaded shifts to pop it in the next gear with the clutch out when the revs matched?
      |˙˙ʇǝuɹǝʇuı ǝɥʇ uo ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ɯopuɐɹ pɐǝɹ noʎ :ǝɯıʇ ǝǝɹɟ ɥɔnɯ ooʇ ʎɐʍ ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ןןǝʇ oʇ ʍoɥ˙˙˙|http://hotlinktest.com/

Vehicles
      '96 Miata
      12-09-2012 07:21 PM #3
      Cool. I think I first learned about the preselector from one of Jay Leno's videos.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preselector_gearbox

From the ever-trustworthy source of wikipedia:

For the driver, there are two advantages:
      Fast shifting, with only a single operation. This requires less skill to learn than techniques like double declutching and it offers faster shifts when racing.
      Ability to handle far more engine power, with a lighter mechanism.
      In engineering terms, some designs of pre-selector gearbox may offer particular advantages. The Wilson gearbox offers these, although they're also shared by some of the other designs, even though the designs are quite different:
      Their friction components are brakes, rather than clutches. These are simpler to engineer, as the wear components can be arranged to not also be rotating parts.
      The friction wear components can be mounted on the outside of the mechanism, rather than buried within it. This makes maintenance and regular adjustment easier.

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '05 Camry XLE
      12-09-2012 07:26 PM #4
      Very good question. The Cord transmission was synchromeshed in gears 2-4, with low being non-synchro, which by the late thirties was becoming commonplace. The preselector was one of the myriad "baby steps" in the journey toward fully automated gearshifting, and offered the physical and even ergonomic benefits of not having to row a floor-shift lever (column-shifting not being introduced until 1939), along with an obstruction-free floor (the flat floor in the Cord front-drive being a touted feature). The semi-automated aspect of the Bendix system (this was also featured in Hupp and Hudson automobiles, only in their 3-speed form) appealed to a public that was increasingly attracted to the more and more modernized features of automobiles of the mid to late 1930s...."car of the future" and all that.

A drawback of the Bendix preselector was that it was somewhat slow in shifting (although in the video it seems to do quite nicely for normal driving), and if not maintained well could hang-up between gears. It was an electro-pneumatic system, with electric switching that activated a pneumatic servo atop the transmission that did the gear-shifting. This photo is an excellent exposition of the Cord's drivetrain. You can see the servo and the switching system clearly atop the gearbox:

Do you enjoy old cars and long-winded stories about them? If your answer is "yes", then you might enjoy my blogpage. Try it here: http://vwlarry.blogspot.com . Leave a comment, too; I love feedback! Thanx for reading.

Vehicles
      '10 Jetta TDI, '13 Cruze Eco
      12-09-2012 07:40 PM #5
      That was so cool to watch, would love to drive one of those. Stunning are those old Cords.

Vehicles
      '55 Ford 351C, '80 Typ 17 AAZ, '88 Typ 53b 9A
      12-09-2012 07:43 PM #6
      Stunning!
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: '55 Ford 351C, '70 TR6 262Olds, '80 Rabbit AAZ, '84 C30 350, '86 Scirocco PL, '88 Scirocco 9A, '97 Hardbody KA24E, '01 TJ 150AMC.

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '05 Camry XLE
      12-09-2012 07:51 PM #7
      The Cord is so out of its time in its modernity. It's much more like a car from 10 or even 20 years later than of its own year of 1936. The seating position and overall manner of driving it bears little relation to its contemporaries, which were still of the prior age, with spindly floorshift levers, steering wheel positioning that was equally ancient, and "antique" controls all over the dashboard.

Speaking of dashboards...has there ever been one to equal that of the Cord 810? It is magnificent in its beauty AND its functionality. It even has trick features such as the fuel gauge (the "fan" shaped one on the lower left) that, when a button is depressed at the bottom of the gauge, switches to a display of the oil-level in the engine's crankcase. I've never seen it, but the edge-lighting of the panel's gauges is said to look gorgeous, and was at least twenty years ahead of its time, too.

To think that just a few individuals were involved in this car's design process, and they completed it in a matter of MONTHS and not years, on a budget that was skinny even by Great Depression standards. Amazing, amazing accomplishment.

PS: Watch closely the driver's handling of the steering of the car on his test drive. This was a car with its entire, heavy powertrain sitting atop the front, driven wheels, and yet it looks as if it has power steering, which it does not. One would expect such a layout to steer like a truck, but it looks light as a feather. Intriguing.
      Last edited by vwlarry; 12-09-2012 at 08:02 PM.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      1964 corvair 500, 1964 corvair monza spyder, 1963 corvair monza 900 convertible, 1985 mercedes 300cd
      12-09-2012 08:01 PM #8
      that was pretty neat

9. 12-09-2012 08:17 PM #9
      Wow, Amazing car.

Now I want to drive one, but doubt I ever will.

Vehicles
      91 Audi D11 V8, 71 Super, 07 E320 Bluetec, 05.5 Jetta 2.5
      12-09-2012 08:22 PM #10
      was that the first car that you needed to depress the clutch to start it?

Vehicles
      '97 GTI VR6, '97 Golf 2.slow
      12-09-2012 08:29 PM #11
      Definitely cool, and very unique
      Quote Originally Posted by Ernie McCracken View Post
      Something something haters something YOLO, etc.
      @Spiller337

Vehicles
      2003 Ford Focus 2.3, 2006 Ford Fusion 2.3 Turbo, 2014 Fiesta SE 1.0T
      12-09-2012 08:34 PM #12
      My dad used to own a 1951 Daimler DB15 and it had a pre-select transmission in it. Was interesting riding in that; drove the same way.

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '05 Camry XLE
      12-09-2012 08:36 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by 71DubBugBug View Post
      was that the first car that you needed to depress the clutch to start it?
      No. The Bendix Startix system was a very popular OEM accessory on several marques, as well as being available as a retro-fit for most cars in that era. With all cars being manually shifted, and often with quite a bit more difficulty than on today's feather-light gearshifts, stalling the engine when taking off from rest was common, especially for female drivers, who were more and more taking up driving automobiles during the thirties. The Startix system made the restarting process quick and automatic, with no groping for starter buttons on the dash or the floorboard.

Vehicles
      2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i
      12-09-2012 11:59 PM #14
      I have only been lucky enough to sit in one and pop the hood. I would love to try out the preselector gearbox in motion. The Cord 810/812 was decades ahead of its time in styling, fit/finish, technology, and driving dynamics.

Vehicles
      nothing to see here
      12-10-2012 02:33 AM #15
      that's wild!!! learned something new thanks to TCL

12-10-2012 09:17 PM #16
      Really incredible system! Thanks Larry for the great information on the Cords inner-workings. Also what is the difference between the 810 & 812?
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbiodiesel! View Post
      Ah, the 1920s - when men were men, cars were Avions-Voisins, and pedestrian impact standards were "get out of the way or my car will literally shank you in the face.
      Quote Originally Posted by backinthegame View Post
      This is 'Murrica. I vote with my penis. He gon' lose.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/harrisonbrooks/

17. 12-10-2012 10:15 PM #17
      Fascinating stuff. Fun to learn.
      "I'm trying to live vicariously through jrod here and my vicarious
      life would be better if he had a twin turbo. Or a ****ing pirate
      ship." nm+

Vehicles
      2015 Mazda CX-5 GT
      12-10-2012 11:32 PM #18
      Very cool. 1930's technology is very interesting. It reminds me of the 1980's in a way... They really tried to leap-ahead in many ways. Some of it panned out, some of it was let down by what was possible at the time.

This definitely seems to work. I'm not really up on my old car facts, but a 4-speed gearbox seems like it would be a bit of a novelty for back then! I mean there were 1960s cars with two speeds.

Vehicles
      DKW Munga
      12-11-2012 12:36 AM #19
      Well, before Larry's explanation about that gearbox, the Cord's Lycoming V8 was my favorite feature! That is very cool Larry, thanks for sharing.

And Larry, the only dashes I'd rank with the Cord come from early 356s(elegantly simple) and pre-war Packards.

1934 Packard V12 dashboard for comparison
      1998 VW Golf Mk.III 5dr/1989 Saab 900 Sedan/1960 Porsche 356B T5/1980 Honda CM400E

20. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      12-11-2012 12:43 AM #20
      That must have been so amazing in the. 30s. I suppose the closest thing today is the Tesla, as there's nothing else like them, they're both high tech, rare and exotic.

Is there a better modern equivalent I'm missing?

Thanks, Larry. It's nice to see it in action.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

21. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      12-11-2012 12:47 AM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by BattleRabbit View Post
      Well, before Larry's explanation about that gearbox, the Cord's Lycoming V8 was my favorite feature! That is very cool Larry, thanks for sharing.

And Larry, the only dashes I'd rank with the Cord come from early 356s(elegantly simple) and pre-war Packards.

1934 Packard V12 dashboard for comparison
      Excellent.

What's your favorite 356 dash? I'm rather fond of the Speedster dash, but it doesn't give you a place to put anything!

(I know Larry won't mind a deviation into the 356 realm! )
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

Vehicles
      DKW Munga
      12-11-2012 12:56 AM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      That must have been so amazing in the. 30s. I suppose the closest thing today is the Tesla, as there's nothing else like them, they're both high tech, rare and exotic.

Is there a better modern equivalent I'm missing?

Thanks, Larry. It's nice to see it in action.
      The Cord 810 is like the Citroen DS/SM to me, just so exceptional for its time it's hard to grasp. To a modern car user, a Tesla is pretty much business-as-usual to drive, even if the powertrain is very, very advanced. I've driven a 30s Studebaker President*, and the Cord is RADICALLY different from the looks of it. The gap between that President and the Cord is much more vast than the jump from say, an E-class to a Model S.

I can't think of a good modern comparison. Companies like Tesla go to great lengths to make sure that their new, innovative product is very much like what consumers are used to.

*interestingly, late 30s Presidents could be equipped with a startix and Studebaker's "miracle shift" transmission from the factory. The example I drove was not so equipped... And I was 17. It was a privilege to putter around a parking lot in a first generation President!
      Last edited by BattleRabbit; 12-11-2012 at 01:03 AM.
      1998 VW Golf Mk.III 5dr/1989 Saab 900 Sedan/1960 Porsche 356B T5/1980 Honda CM400E

Vehicles
      DKW Munga
      12-11-2012 12:59 AM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      Excellent.

What's your favorite 356 dash? I'm rather fond of the Speedster dash, but it doesn't give you a place to put anything!

(I know Larry won't mind a deviation into the 356 realm! )

These pre-A dashes are my favorite. The one in my car is so plain by comparison...

Anyways, sorry to derail your thread Larry!

Vehicles
      1990 Miata, 1987 Dakota
      12-11-2012 01:13 AM #24
      Looks like a real thrill to drive!
      3 + 3 + 3 = NEIN!

25. Member
      12-11-2012 04:12 AM #25
      simple question: When the car starts automatically with the clutch pressed in, how does it know to stop the starter motor when the engine's running?

Vehicles
      dark blue stick shift station wagon, shiny yellow motorbike, dirty green motorbike
      12-11-2012 04:34 AM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by BattleRabbit View Post
      Well, before Larry's explanation about that gearbox, the Cord's Lycoming V8 was my favorite feature!
      Ha! That's what I was hearing. I forgot about that, and was wondering what that sound was that I knew and didn't seem to belong in a car.

TBH, this is like a forerunner to the DSG, as the whole concept of pre-engagement is what makes a DSG work. AND.... the clutch to start is how mild-hybrids work - depressing the clutch triggers the starter to start the car again.

I love it when what is old is new!

I also like the "shift" gate. It's slotted to push you to shift up.
      A(u). Klasse A, unbeschrankt, ungedrosselt
      Compared to a British roadster, all Volkswagens are reliable!

nevAr Lose - DE Minister of Foreign Affairs and Deputy Bankruptcy Controller - IPROfftopikstan

12-11-2012 07:46 AM #27
      Hi Larry

Did Cord officially make vehicles for the RHD markets ? I spotted one at a local motor show and I'm curious if it was a conversion.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr Stubby, Esq. View Post
      buy both, save time.

Vehicles
      DKW Munga
      12-11-2012 07:58 AM #28
      Yup, that V8 is fantastic... Fires right up one bank then the other. Nothing else sounds quite like it!

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '05 Camry XLE
      12-11-2012 08:15 AM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by sweatyworker View Post
      Hi Larry

Did Cord officially make vehicles for the RHD markets ? I spotted one at a local motor show and I'm curious if it was a conversion.
      According to Cord historian Josh Malks a "substantial number" of Cords went to Commonwealth countries...Canada, England, Scotland, India, Australia and South Africa all had active Auburn-Cord dealers. To create a right-hand drive Cord required the replacement of fewer than 100 parts with specialized ones. The centered instrument panel was helpful here. Also, Spain and France had Auburn-Cord distributors, also Tokyo. There were deliveries to South America and Austria, and also to several Middle Eastern countries.

Malks' book "Cord 810/812 The Timeless Classic" has a reprint of a 1937 Autocar magazine (UK) roadtest of a supercharged 812. They raved about it.

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '05 Camry XLE
      12-11-2012 08:20 AM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by stock60 View Post
      simple question: When the car starts automatically with the clutch pressed in, how does it know to stop the starter motor when the engine's running?
      Good question. The circuitry in the Startix system disengages the starter when the engine fires up. It also disables the starter while driving/clutching. It's a very complete system.

Vehicles
      XW30, NA, V227
      12-11-2012 08:33 AM #31
      He never lifts his foot off the gas while shifting/clutching. Is this normal?
      "The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering."
      - Doctor Who (Fourth Doctor) "Face of Evil"

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '05 Camry XLE
      12-11-2012 09:31 AM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
      He never lifts his foot off the gas while shifting/clutching. Is this normal?
      Look more closely; he is lifting when he clutches. It's a very small movement though. He's driving it gently.

Vehicles
      XW30, NA, V227
      12-11-2012 09:37 AM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by vwlarry View Post
      Look more closely; he is lifting when he clutches. It's a very small movement though. He's driving it gently.
      I thought I saw it while he was demonstrating reverse. He's really babying the car then
      "The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering."
      - Doctor Who (Fourth Doctor) "Face of Evil"

Vehicles
      2010 Mazda6 GT-I4
      12-11-2012 10:23 AM #34
      These were fascinatingly advanced cars for their day. Overall with its non-contemporary 'low' styling and hidden headlights, it makes me think of the later Buick Y-job. Did Harley Earl have a thing for Cords?

35. 12-11-2012 11:10 AM #35
      In college I drove a couple vintage (1940's) London double-decker buses that had the original pre-select transmission system. What he doesn't explain in the video, unless I missed it, is that the clutch doesn't work the way we typically think of them today. There is no feel or gradual engagement - it's either engaged or not. It is tricky to learn the proper shift points and timing for releasing the clutch pedal, especially downshifting. My understanding from our mechanics was that there was a series of bands (or small belts), and a poor shift would snap them and put the bus out of commission until one could be sourced and shipped over from England. Done properly though, it could be quick and very smooth

FWIW those things were way more fun to drive than the ones converted to more modern engine/transmissions

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast