Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 3M Color Stable Tint

1. 12-10-2012 08:51 AM #1
      Hello everybody

I just got my 13 Golf R and I would like to get it tinted and I planned to get 3M Color Stable in back and sides and for front I will get Crystalline
      but for the sides I need to both windows to match each other and the rear window there's privacy so it's darker
      If there is any information which one should for rear door window and front door window

Vehicles
      2013.5 GLI Autobahn w/NAV
      12-10-2012 09:35 AM #2
      I have Color Stable and I hate it. When the sun hits it perpendicular to the window, from the inside it looks hazy / cloudy / milky, whatever you want to call it. Do some googling, you'll find lots of others complain about it, even on the 3M website. It's not a defect, per se, just how the Color Stable product works. Not only does it make your windows look dirty, to me it's distracting and obscures vision. I'm planning to get my peeled off and probably replaced with Llumar.

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R
      12-10-2012 10:07 AM #3
      Really?

I have color stable and they look awesome, I have never noticed any of those issues when the sun is beaming in.

Quote Originally Posted by RRRob View Post
      I have Color Stable and I hate it. When the sun hits it perpendicular to the window, from the inside it looks hazy / cloudy / milky, whatever you want to call it. Do some googling, you'll find lots of others complain about it, even on the 3M website. It's not a defect, per se, just how the Color Stable product works. Not only does it make your windows look dirty, to me it's distracting and obscures vision. I'm planning to get my peeled off and probably replaced with Llumar.
      2012 Rising Blue Golf R
      APR Stage 3

Vehicles
      '12 Golf R 2Dr Black
      12-10-2012 12:02 PM #4
      I have no experience with Color Stable tint, but I will share my experience with Huper Optik.

First, I really like the heat reflection properties of this tint. I notice the difference and my fair skinned/red haired wife really notices. I don't remember the name of the film exactly, but it is their high end ceramic stuff.

The bad news is that when it was installed, it ended up with some ghosting/cloudy areas that were visible at certain angles from the outside. The tint shop stood up with their warranty and stripped the stuff off and tried again. It took them a long time to find a solution. Apparently if they have to use hear during the install, it causes this ghosting/cloudy thing. The final solution was to apply two layers of their tint. The first is the second tier tint and the second is the high end ceramic.

I had this done on two cars and I'm sure the shop was not very happy about it, but they lived up to their promises.

In the end, I really like the look of this two layer approach better than the original. Ghosting/cloudiness aside, it now looks blacker than before. The high end ceramic stuff has more of a metallic look, while this 2 layer just looks more like black paint, so it matches the b-pillar more closely.

This stuff is pricey. I paid about $1000 per car to have it done, but that also included a 70% tint on the windshield, which we did just to get the heat reflection. The tint on the windshield is barely noticeable in terms of making it darker.
      2012 Golf R 2Dr Loaded DBP - Diesel Geek, Badgeless Grille & Fill, Delete R Badges, 42DD Downpipe, Autotech HPFP, UM Stg2, Huper Optik Tint, HPA Dogbone mount, Rebadge.com, BSH PR CAI, Twintercooler, LED Tails, TSW Interlaggos 19X8, CTS TOP & TP, Xpel Ultimate, DXD Stg2 Daily, USRT W/M

Vehicles
      2013.5 GLI Autobahn w/NAV
      12-10-2012 12:41 PM #5
      That's interesting what you say about heat being used during the application causing the cloudiness. I wonder if that's why there's quite a few people online that complain about the Color Stable, but not everyone has the issue. I have no idea if my installer used heat during the application, but I'll found out and post back here.

6. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2007 RS 4, 2012 S4, 2012 Golf R
      12-10-2012 01:20 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by RRRob View Post
      That's interesting what you say about heat being used during the application causing the cloudiness. I wonder if that's why there's quite a few people online that complain about the Color Stable, but not everyone has the issue. I have no idea if my installer used heat during the application, but I'll found out and post back here.
      Most tint installations require heat shrinking to do the back glass in one piece. The Golf's back glass is pretty difficult to shrink requires a lot heat.

Ghosting happens during the shrinking process and is almost impossible to avoid with metalized and ceramic films.

Suntek's Carbon is my suggestion. Use it, have it, love it!
      Last edited by NewImage; 12-10-2012 at 01:27 PM.

Vehicles
      '12 Golf R 2Dr Black
      12-10-2012 03:24 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by NewImage View Post
      Most tint installations require heat shrinking to do the back glass in one piece. The Golf's back glass is pretty difficult to shrink requires a lot heat.

Ghosting happens during the shrinking process and is almost impossible to avoid with metalized and ceramic films.

Suntek's Carbon is my suggestion. Use it, have it, love it!
      I agree that most, if not all, back windows require "heat shrinking" to get them done in one piece. Nice to hear that ceramic and metallic films tend to suffer from this issue. I had the issue on every window on my car, so I believe they were using the "heat shrink" method on all of them. I think there was one window that did not have the issue, but overall it was a problem.

I am really happy with the final solution/result. I am sure that the tint shop isn't very happy about it, but at least now they know how to fix it.
      2012 Golf R 2Dr Loaded DBP - Diesel Geek, Badgeless Grille & Fill, Delete R Badges, 42DD Downpipe, Autotech HPFP, UM Stg2, Huper Optik Tint, HPA Dogbone mount, Rebadge.com, BSH PR CAI, Twintercooler, LED Tails, TSW Interlaggos 19X8, CTS TOP & TP, Xpel Ultimate, DXD Stg2 Daily, USRT W/M

8. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2007 RS 4, 2012 S4, 2012 Golf R
      12-10-2012 04:49 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by ecirwin View Post
      I agree that most, if not all, back windows require "heat shrinking" to get them done in one piece. Nice to hear that ceramic and metallic films tend to suffer from this issue. I had the issue on every window on my car, so I believe they were using the "heat shrink" method on all of them. I think there was one window that did not have the issue, but overall it was a problem.

I am really happy with the final solution/result. I am sure that the tint shop isn't very happy about it, but at least now they know how to fix it.
      Correct, there's not many back windows that can be done with out heat shrinking. I'm actually a tinter with 10+years experience tinting professionally.

Can't really think of a car that can be done with out at least and little wet shrinking. It's not odd for all windows on the golf to require some heat in order for the film to lay flat.

You can bet that shop wasn't happy, but they made good, and that's whats important.

Vehicles
      Golf R
      12-10-2012 05:09 PM #9
      I also have Huper Optik. There is some haze on the very edges of the back window that is only visible in direct sunlight at the correct angle. Huper Optik is thicker then most tint, which in combination with the curved golfs window means extra heat is required, thus having a higher probability of haze. I am not sure if the 3M is the same way. There is zero haze on any of my windows besides the rear window and I don't think any tint should ever haze on the side windows if installed properly.

10. 12-10-2012 06:11 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by usurpers26 View Post
      Really?

I have color stable and they look awesome, I have never noticed any of those issues when the sun is beaming in.

can you send me some pics for your car to see the color and which percentage you use for the side windows to avoid privacy glass tint

11. Member
      Vehicles
      R
      12-10-2012 09:40 PM #11
      I have Color Stable 30% on sides/rear and Crystalline 70% on my front. There isn't any haze to mine that I can tell at least. I had 5% llumar on my old car and it held up really well, about 10 years with minimal loss of darkness (that's in florida sun). I would have gone back to 5% if it wasn't for the fact I couldn't see **** at night 30% is great at night but wish it was darker during the day - can't stand being seen by others.

Vehicles
      '89 Toyota RustBucket 4x4 Pickup/2012 Golf R 4Dr all the fixins RB
      12-10-2012 10:58 PM #12
      I also have 3M Color Stable tint - and compared other tints I've seen I think it is by far the best. Shop that did the install on my car did a great job.

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R
      12-11-2012 10:02 AM #13
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...1#post75740852

Quote Originally Posted by Miro0oo View Post
      can you send me some pics for your car to see the color and which percentage you use for the side windows to avoid privacy glass tint
      Last edited by usurpers26; 12-11-2012 at 10:04 AM.
      2012 Rising Blue Golf R
      APR Stage 3

14. 12-11-2012 10:28 AM #14
      Thanks

but 35% sides for rear and front windows or it's different cause of privacy glass

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R
      12-11-2012 10:37 AM #15
      In CT the legal limit is 35% for side windows, plus I didn't really want to go darker anyhow. So yeah, all the glass on the side is at 35%. The tint shop figured out what they needed to apply since there is already some tint in the OEM glass, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Miro0oo View Post
      Thanks

but 35% sides for rear and front windows or it's different cause of privacy glass
      2012 Rising Blue Golf R
      APR Stage 3