Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calling all TCLers: Review your own car!

Hybrid View

Vehicles
      1997 VR6 Cabrio, RIP '98 GTI VR6
      12-16-2012 07:48 PM #1
      I was inspired by Jalopnik's call for commenters to review their own cars. There's a wide variety of cars owned by us TCLers, and it could prove to be a good resource for the future. Here's the general format:
      1. At least one picture. Preferably of your actual car, not Google.
      2. Exterior X/10
      3. Interior X/10
      4. Acceleration X/10
      5. Braking X/10
      6. Ride X/10
      7. Handling X/10
      8. Gearbox X/10
      9. Audio X/10 (Everything. Engine noise, exhaust, stereo, etc.)
      10. Toys X/10
      11. Value X/10
      12. Total X/100

My Car-1997 VW Cabrio VR6

What started out as a sorority girl's dream car has slowly morphed into a slightly more manly, and interesting ride. While people still regularly deliver the catcalls of "gay" while I'm behind the wheel, I 've formed somewhat of a special bond with this car. The motor is from my deceased GTI, and all of the work on the car was done by me in my last few years of high school. She's not the highest performance automobile, but once you open it up in a tunnel with the top down, the smiles don't stop.

1. Exterior 6/10
      As far as convertibles go, she's pretty boring. The body itself is all 90s econobox, but the 3 piece TRD wheels that I recently refinished do look pretty sharp. Plus it's got a great vanity plate! "VR6SWAP".

2. Interior 6/10
      The interior is quite nice by late 90s standards. Dash strokers will be appeased by the squishiness of the GTI dash, and the golf ball shift knob is great to row through the gears with. But on the opposite end of the spectrum, there is quite a lot of wear and tear going on. The door cards are tan whilst the rest of the interior is black, and the tops are peeling at the seams from years of sun damage. The driver's seat also has a fair amount of wear as the previous owner was rather overweight. The leather is nice though.

3. Acceleration 8/10
      While 180ish horsepower and an equivalent amount of torque might not seem like alot, she pulls. Hard. The rainy Washington winters make it a little hard to put power down, but it's still fun to spin the tires every once and a while. The torque is pretty much always there, so there's plenty of torks for safe uphill passing. Unlike a specific TCL darling...

4. Braking 6/10
      Once again, nothing special here. The GTI brakes that are on it are much more effective than the stock Cabrio disk/drum combo, but she's still a heavy car that's pretty hard to bring to a stop.

5. Ride 3/10
      The ride is absolute garbage. Even though they're not spun down too far, $300 Raceland coilovers with air springs on the front aren't exactly the pinnacle engineering. The car bounces around like a ragdoll when the road gets rough, and tall people have to watch their heads on the ceiling when the roads get real bad.

6. Handling 3/10
      To put it nicely, this car is an understeering pig. From the factory, she wasn't exactly Lotus-like in handling, and the high power/high weight VR6 hung out over the nose doesn't exactly help. The Raceland's are crap as well. You get what you pay for.

7. Gearbox 8/10
      While VR6 gearboxes aren't exactly known for their reliability, I love how they feel while you row through the gears. The golfball shift knob has a really nice feel and the throw is rather long but after 100 some thousand miles it still feels pretty notchy. Plus, reverse is where it should be. Up and to the left.

8. Audio 8/10
      The stereo is below average by modern standards, but in my opinion, the VR6 is one of the best sounding 6 cylinders out there. The shallow angle of the engine's "vee" pattern allows for the sound to be halfway between a V6 and an inline 6. On top of that, the 2.5 inch exhaust has a great throaty tone when you really step on it. Like I said earlier, not much is better than getting on it in a tunnel.

9. Toys 7/10
      While not a TCL approved modification, the saving grace here is the air suspension. I love it. Airing it up and down makes me crack a smile without fail, plus the ladies love it. Or not.

10. Value 3/10
      I've poured probably upwards of 10 grand into this car, and there's no way it's actually worth that much to anyone else. It's full of sentimental value, but that's about it. Plus, it's a late 90s Volkswagen so it's plagued by various mechanical and electrical gremlins.

Total: 58/100
      At least it's a passing grade!

Vehicles
      Small frosty
      12-16-2012 07:58 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by miatafreak View Post

9. Toys 7/10
      While not a TCL approved modification, the saving grace here is the air suspension. I love it. Airing it up and down makes me crack a smile without fail, plus the ladies love it. Or not.

K.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      1964 corvair 500, 1964 corvair monza spyder, 1963 corvair monza 900 convertible. i have a problem
      12-16-2012 08:18 PM #3
      64 corvair flat 6

1. exterior 7/10
      i do personally like the exterior of the car, im not a fan of the paint and the one fender that has been replaces has some bubbling rust areas

2. interior 7/10
      the white looks good, i like the look of the dash, i dont like the no seatbelts and lack of a carpet(the only carpet thats in there is just a piece of house carpet )

3. acceleration 3/10
      basically it has none, it has just enough power to pull out into moderate traffic

4. braking 3/10
      4 wheel drum, nuff said

5. ride 5/10
      suspension is bouncy and boaty which is nice, i could update the suspension which would help. kind of jarring but the comfy bench seat helps out alot

6. handling 5/10
      lazy lazy steering, rolls in the corners. its a classic car, it is a bit fun in the windy roads do to the lazy steering and boaty ride, it puts a smile on your face

7. gearbox 3/10
      has a 2spd powerglide which i absolutely hate. the droan is annoying it takes forever to shift. only reason it gets a 3 is because it works.

8. audio 4/10
      it has no radio, and it has a good exhaust note, but due to the before mention powerglide, it droans.

9. toys 2/10
      only real "toy" is that once the key is in the on position you can remove to unlock the glovebox or trunk and still start the car

10. value 4/10
      nice original clean interior with no rips, dash isnt cracked, its a base model which is rare because most base models were just beat to hell and then scrapped. worth way way less than i have into rebuilding the engine

11. 43/100. i still love the car due to its uniqueness and its my first classic car and my first engine rebuild

its fun to get in a field though

Vehicles
      F14 Tomcat
      12-16-2012 08:22 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by freedo84gti View Post
      64 corvair flat 6

Beauty of a car
      Contributing editor at http://becarchic.com and http://speedsportlife.com
      Personal website with contacts: http://curvedinfinity.com
      Shenandoah hot lap 1:46.92: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmYq3mBbwPg

Vehicles
      1994 Corolla, 1990 Miata
      12-16-2012 08:24 PM #5
      Taken from another forum where I actually reviewed it before:

Since I've now owned the car for almost 7 months and nearly 7,000 miles, I feel that I am able to give a precise and thorough review of it. Keep in mind it is 23 years old, so my results are probably not going to be typical of any random NA Miata you find on the street. As always, what matters most is how it was maintained. I will rate it on a scale of 1-10.

Specifications:
      Year: 1990
      Make: Mazda
      Model: MX-5 Miata
      Miles: 85,500
      Engine: 1.6L I-4; 116 HP @ 6500 RPM, 100 ft. lbs. of torque @ 5500 RPM (factory @ flywheel)
      Suspension: 4-wheel double wishbone independent
      Brakes: 4 wheel single piston disc brakes
      Curb weight: 2116 Lbs
      Gas tank capacity: 11.9 US gallons
      Additional options on this car: Power steering, A/C, leather wrapped steering wheel, power windows, hardtop, viscous LSD, 14" alloy wheels, CD/cassette combo, headrest speakers
      Modifications: Stebel Nautilus Compact air horn, 60mm Cobalt cat-back exhaust, drilled airbox

Engine/Drivetrain Performance: 6
      Handling/Braking: 8
      Practicality: 3
      Reliability: 8
      Cost to own: 8
      Feasibility of Sexual Encounters: 2
      Fun Factor: 10

Engine/Drivetrain Performance: I'll start off with probably the least appealing aspect about this car from a pure driving standpoint: the engine is small. 1.6 liters just can not produce much power without forced induction. To get this car to move at a reasonable click, you must rev it above 3500 RPM. Below that, and it just does not have enough torque to move it around. With all that being said however, it is a fantastic small engine. It sounds wonderful with a modified intake and exhaust, and since the gearing is so short, at highway speeds it can pass effortlessly, even in top gear. The transmission is very robust (although my shifter assembly needs a refresh at this point) and the shifts are positive and precise. Clutch action is very light with a bit of freeplay near the top of its travel. The differential still does a fairly good job, (only had 10-15% lockup when it was new) though the differentials in the 1.6 cars are prone to breaking, even under stock power, when abused. I would not recommend launching hard very often.

Handling/Braking: This is where the Miata truly shines. Even with my 23-year old almost shot stock suspension, it still corners and handles amazingly. I easily take highway on ramps at double the recommended speed (with bad suspension and terrible all-season tires) and when it does break away, it does so predictably and it is very easy to correct. The steering is very direct, albeit a bit light. In the rain, it can get loose if you push it. If you drive normally, it will not send the back end out, but if you try to kick it out, it will comply. As for braking, it astonished me when I first drove the car. Extremely good pedal action that is very linear and grabs almost right at the top of the travel. Braking itself is very good, I still have never locked up the crappy tires even under hard braking. My experience will vary once I refresh the suspension and install better tires.

Practicality: There is not much praise to be given here. Two seats, almost no storage in the interior, and a very small trunk that has nearly 1/3 of its space occupied by the spare tire and battery. If you are not willing to deal with this lack of space, this car will not work for you. Even I have had issues with the laughable trunk space. I have had to relocate my cargo to the passenger seat. Also, the fuel tank is extremely small, and the gas gauge reads empty when I have used about 10 gallons. So once I hit 200 miles, my gas gauge is nearly empty. It is very frustrating.

Reliability: With proper maintenance, this car is very reliable. So far, I have had no problems with it in the 7 months that I've owned it. As long as the maintenance is kept up and you give it the old Italian tuneup once in a while (every day) it will perform beautifully.

Cost to own: It is a fairly inexpensive car to begin with. Maintenance parts are cheap and plentiful (even OEM), and there is a DIY writeup/video online on nearly everything you can think of doing for this car. Gas mileage is fairly good for a sport-intentioned car like this if you keep your foot out of it. For me, I see about 23 city, and about 30 highway. Mixed driving usually results in 26-28 mpg.

Feasibility of Sexual encounters: Damn near impossible. The only way I could see it being done is if you take the top off, sit on the parcel shelf, and have her (or him, I mean, it is a Miata) straddle you. But that kind of defeats the point of car sex (quick and discreet).

Fun Factor: It's literally the most fun I have driving a car. Not the quickest, best handling, or most comfortable thing I have driven, but it all comes together beautifully and is extremely rewarding to drive. Everything makes you feel like you are in a go kart XL. I look forward to driving it whenever I get the chance. It is a very "seat of your pants" type car. Everything about it has a certain feel that can not be described by words, but just feels "right" when you are in the driver's seat.
      ♪ Let's just drive, I wanna see what the wind does to your hair ♪

6. Member
      Vehicles
      1964 corvair 500, 1964 corvair monza spyder, 1963 corvair monza 900 convertible. i have a problem
      12-16-2012 08:25 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by curvedinfinity View Post
      Beauty of a car
      thank you, my first classic car at 18, parents got it for me as a graduation gift, its out of commission right now due to a destroyed axle bearing.

12-16-2012 08:27 PM #7
      too many cars to review

Vehicles
      1997 blue suede shoe, XJ Cherokee 4.0
      12-16-2012 08:55 PM #8
      mk3 alert

1997 GTI VR6 Drivers Edition.

Exterior: It's a 15 year old German hatchback. The design itself is very bland, nothing very exciting about it at all, except that it is one of less than 300 (i believe) to come in jazz blue, on of my favorite colors. Very bright, loud, and, well, blue. However, this particular example has had it rough over the years, and fell victim to some minor quarter panel rot, and 15 years of dents, dings, and fading paint. 3/10

Interior: Nothing fancy. The car originally came with the blue-stitched seats, steering wheel, shift boot, and e-brake boot, but all that remains are the seats. The steering wheel has been replaced by a small, wooden Luigi wheel, and a matching MK4 knob has been installed. The seats are comfortable, and I love the location of all the controls, everything is exactly where they should be. And it has a sunroof (my first car with a sunroof)! But it leaks. 4/10

Acceleration: 12v VR6, so there is plenty of go power from stoplights. The 3rd gear ratio is awful, but everything pulls very nicely in 4th. Still, gets to the speed limit very quickly. It's no Z06, but certainly no 2.0. 4.5/10

Braking: It stops. New pads and rotors. Never had a problem with slowing down. Though I can't stop on a dime and get a nickel change 7/10

Ride: When I got the car it was on cheapo coilovers. I blew out the rears shortly after, replacing them with a cup kit. My kidneys are bruised and I clench at the sight of even the smallest crack in the asphalt. 2/10

Handling: Fwd. understeer blah blah blah, although I'm sure most of what I feel is due to the half-assed suspension currently on it. The car can act quickly though. 4/10

Gearbox: Third gear sucks. Chipped reverse gear. 4/10

Audio: New pioneer headunit, blown speakers. I'll call that one fifty-fifty. Or maybe thirty seventy. 3/10

Toys: None.

Value: Real world - depressing. To a flat-brimmed, skinny jeans, raybans wearing high-schooler, very profitable

The car is currently off the road, since I jsut got my 1999 Cherokee 4.0 on the road for the winter (Everything: 10/10 because 4.0L Jeep). While it's in poor shape now, I have a stockpile of parts waiting to go on (suspension, wheels, tires, etc), and bodywork and new paint is going to be performed as well. I know it's just a mk3, but I figured most of you TCL people would get a kick out of it. I know the car isn't great, but I don't pretend that it is. I'm into it for my own personal reasons, not to be part of the dubber mentality thats been spreading.
      Last edited by Spiller337; 12-16-2012 at 08:58 PM.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ernie McCracken View Post
      Something something haters something YOLO, etc.
      My work in progress! 1997 Jazz Blue GTI

@Spiller337

12-16-2012 08:30 PM #9

1. See above ^

2. Exterior 10/10 - Personally I love the exterior design, the 11+ refresh really made the car fantastic on the outside

3. Interior 6/10 - Seats, dashboard layout and steering wheel are all fantastic, but the car is littered with cheap materials

4. Acceleration 8/10 - 0 to 60 in under 5, lots of power across the band. Only gets an 8 because the STI exists

5. Braking 9/10 - surprisingly great braking system with little to no fade under hard use

6. Ride 7/10 - not too soft or too stiff, but it could use some upgrades. Body roll does exist.

7. Handling 7/10 - see above

8. Gearbox 7/10 - STI short shifter with kartboy front and rear bushings = best gearbox I've ever used. Just wish I had a 6th gear, thus the 7.

9. Audio 3/10 - stereo system is atrocious, exhaust is a solid 8/10

10. Toys 2/10 - bluetooth... that's about it

11. Value 10/10 - base price of 26k for a 260hp awd 4 door sedan with a manual transmission. nothing on the market comes close

12-16-2012 08:44 PM #10
      1982 GMC Caballero 350 automatic

1. Exterior 9/10 - rust under the back window, dented tailgate. Otherwise, it's nice. Looks good with the MC SS wheels.

2. Interior 8/10 - panel that goes behind seats is missing, no tach. Everything else is great. Seats aren't torn, has a dash cover.

3. Acceleration 7/10 - rather slow, sounds decent though

4. Braking 8/10 - stops very well

5. Ride 8/10 - smooth ride, not bouncy

6. Handling 8/10 - steers good

7. gearbox 10/10 - serves its purpose well

9. audio - 0/10 - no radio

10. Toys 0/10 - nothing since it's old

11. Value 7/10 - worth enough to make a profit, unique because it's the GMC version

Total score - 65

12-16-2012 08:52 PM #11
      2012 Fit Sport 5MT

2. Exterior 6/10

While nothing amazing, the 2012 facelift makes the Fit a bit more interesting, adding black accents.

3. Interior 8/10

The interior is incredibly versatile, ergonomic, and useful. My vice is the seats are ho-hum, as expected for a subcompact.

4. Acceleration 5/10

Plenty for daily use, but nothing blistering.

5. Braking 5/10

Same as acceleration. Nothing amazing, but new pads/lines/fluid will help!

6. Ride 6/10

Bouncy but planted.

7. Handling 8/10

After adding aftermarket rear sway brace and springs, it feels much more controllable and is a riot to throw into the corners.

8. Gearbox 10/10

With aftermarket bits, this is as good as it gets. Notchy, but not difficult nor does it vibrate / chatter.

9. Audio 5/10

Nothing outstanding.

10. Toys 9/10

The retrofit certainly helps light up the road where the OEM H4s and even drop-in HIDs simply cannot.

11. Value 9/10

Excellent value for the fun and pleasure it brings on a daily basis.

12. Total 90/100

Overall fun, but with a bit more aftermarket everything can be dialed in and all small complains removed.

Vehicles
      Toaster, 14 370Z
      12-16-2012 08:45 PM #12

2. Exterior 510 - It's a hate it or love it affair, and I love it
      3. Interior 8/10 - It's as large as a full-size vehicle, but the accommodations are minimalistic and not stroke-able. I can fit 5 mid-sized shipping pallets in the back though
      4. Acceleration 1/10 - It doesn't, unless I bring it to redline. It is reliable though, and I don’t have to worry about a timing belt
      5. Braking 8/10 - Does pretty well here, now even better with TRD pads.
      6. Ride 1/10 - In OEM form it's very springy and stiff. I've added a much more comfortable set up.
      7. Handling 5/10 - Same type of chassis as a vw mk4, so not horrible, but not great either. Loves understeering.
      8. Gearbox 5/10 - Desperately needs a taller 5th or 6th gear. Lower gears are adequate though. Shifting is fine.
      9. Audio 7/10 - Stereo was one of the first for Ipod integration, and the speakers were great! Road noise is a HUGE problem, as there is very little to no sound deadening.
      10. Toys 10/10 - ABS/VSC/TCS are nice to have on a car like this. I've added some things of my own which make it a better daily-driver.
      11. Value 10/10 - These are still in big demand, and I was lucky to find the deal on mine. Even when new, these were a tremendous value for what you got. Now it’s tough to find a nice unmolested one.
      12. Total 60/100

13. Member
      Vehicles
      '14 GMC Sierra
      12-16-2012 08:51 PM #13
      Tacoma: total 100/100

Vehicles
      2013 focus ST ST3
      12-16-2012 08:55 PM #14

Exterior 7/10 - Wish they kept the mk2 design
      Interior 8/10 - nicer then my jetta was
      Acceleration 9/10
      Braking 9/10
      Ride 9/10
      Handling 9/10
      Gearbox 8/10
      Audio 9/10
      Toys 8/10
      Value 9/10
      Total 85/100

Vehicles
      Puma GTE / Audi A3 8L
      12-16-2012 08:00 PM #15
      95 318ti

NOT MY CAR

2. Exterior 7/10 - Beautiful design in my eyes, does'nt get a 10 because the e36 coupe exists.
      3. Interior 8/10 - LOVE the dash, LOVE the interior. Hate the seats.
      4. Acceleration 7/10 - 150HP in a RWD car. FUN FUN FUN
      5. Braking 8/10 - it stops
      6. Ride 2/10 - Piece of ****, so ****ing unconfortable. I will be getting new shocks soon maybe it will make a diference.
      7. Handling 9/10 - Love mountain roads
      8. Gearbox 8/10 - Hard shifting, however, its my bushings/clutch not the car itself.
      9. Audio 7/10 - High revving, I do need a new exhaust tough.
      10. Toys 8/10 - none - I did install a Start switch that lights up...but its RWD so that alone is a toy
      11. Value 1/10 - its a 95 BMW, the kind noone likes.
      12. Total 85/100 - I love it, but I`ve had better cars that did what it does and alot more.

(if you can`t tell i am pissed off at it right now.)

Vehicles
      '02 Honda Accord, A few bicycles.
      12-16-2012 08:02 PM #16
      I feel these reviews will be as biased as Car and Driver with a 3 series BMW...

Vehicles
      09 Rabbit S 5MT
      12-16-2012 08:07 PM #17
      Too much work.

Overall, torque not withstanding, I'd still rather have a Honda.
      :gift:

Vehicles
      F14 Tomcat
      12-16-2012 08:12 PM #18
      1. (actual car)

2. Exterior 9/10
      3. Interior 9/10
      4. Acceleration 10/10
      5. Braking 10/10
      6. Ride 10/10
      7. Handling 10/10
      8. Gearbox 9/10
      9. Audio 10/10
      10. Toys 10/10
      11. Value 6/10
      12. Total 93/100
      Last edited by curvedinfinity; 12-16-2012 at 08:28 PM.
      Contributing editor at http://becarchic.com and http://speedsportlife.com
      Personal website with contacts: http://curvedinfinity.com
      Shenandoah hot lap 1:46.92: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmYq3mBbwPg

Vehicles
      2011 Mustang GT Premium, 2004 VW R32, 2013 Ford Focus ST
      12-16-2012 11:51 PM #19

2. Exterior 8/10 Minus a couple areas I'd fix, the exterior is perfect to me, especially with the 2010+ refresh. Looks mean and aggressive. I like that.

3. Interior 6/10 The interior could use some improvements in certain areas IMHO. The center stack is easy to reach and use, but the shifter/e-brake/cup holder get crowded easy, especially on road trips with 2 bottles in the cup holders. The door materials are bargain basement. They hold up to weather and scuffs, just too hard though.

4. Acceleration 9/10. This thing scoots. I'll make it a 10/10 this next year when I put in the 3.73 gears.

5. Braking 5/10. Stock brakes are just ok. I'll be fixing the issue in the aftermarket world. Brembo package probably fixes this issue, but mine was used and didn't come with that option.

6. Ride 6/10. The stock ride was just ok. Took bumps well and was easy to drive on rapid trips. But now I've gone crazy and lowered it and put on adjustable stiffer shocks/struts and now it's a tad bumpy in cities with bad roads.

7. Handling 5/10 stock. Now thanks to the aftermarket I'd say its an 8/10.

8. Gearbox 7/10. I'd give it higher if it wasn't so finicky in cold weather, but once it warms up its great.

9. Audio 6/10. Sync is great but can be finicky. Speakers are just ok and will be remedied soon.

10. Toys 10/10. I bought this car because it has a massive aftermarket parts support. It only depends how deep your wallet is. I've been concentrating on suspension so far (springs, adjustable shocks/struts, lower control arms/relocation brackets, adjustable panhard bar/panhard brace, sway bars, wheels and tires). Next year is gears, tune, lightweight driveshaft, install my MGW short shift kit and start on brake upgrades plus other little exterior mods. Also want to install the 302 steering wheel.

11. Value 9/10. 412 horsepower, rwd coupe for $30k. Hell of a deal IMHO.

12. Total 71/100

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
      Professional wiener dog herder/craft beer drinker

So many Mustang mods they do not all fit in the signature box

20. Member
      Vehicles
      FS:2004 Passat 1.8t 4motion; 2008 GTI
      12-16-2012 11:54 PM #20
      2004 Passat 1.8t 4motion 5spd 158+k miles

This car was my post-divorce car and my 7th Volkswagen. The 98 Acura CL 3.0 my ex dumped on me was a good car but I couldn't bare driving the thing because of that simple fact so I ended up trading it on the Passat.

Over the past 6+ yrs its been everything I've come to expect it to be. The coils, coolant temp sensor, engine speed sensor, control arms and fuel pump went out at around the same mileage as others I'd read about..lol.

The design has aged well in b5.5 guise and a Revo flash made it better able to get out of its own way. It's options list is pretty rare (1.8t, 4motion, 5spd) and its basically riding on a C5 A6 suspension which has been "upgraded" with coilovers augmented by the addition of 19" BBS LM (reps *shhhh*). Best part of her is she's paid off.

Interior 6/10
      Exterior 7/10 though mine does have scars from a parking mishap and a healthy tree limb
      Braking 7/10
      Acceleration 4/10 *from a stop pffft ..but highway pulls 6/10
      Ride 6/10
      Handling 6/10 improved over stock
      Gearbox 6/10 it works
      Audio stock except for 6" Blaupunkts in the rears cause the engine note is blah
      Value 10/10 to me.. I plan on keeping it at least another 2-3yrs unless catastrophic failure

Vehicles
      2013 Chevy Volt, 2014 Mini Cooper, '02 Suburban 2500LT
      12-17-2012 09:51 AM #21

2. Exterior 8/10. It's no Aston, but I love th e '05-09 Mustangs. Classic like my old '70 Fastbacks, but still completely modern in detailing. And I think the upgrades I've done to it enhance that feeling.

3. Interior 6/10. A little on the hard plasticky side, I still like the styling.

4. Acceleration 6/10. Not bad with the 3.55s in the back, but could use a bit more oomph. A supercharger kit would solve that.

5. Braking 6/10. Again, not bad, and the new tires really made a lot of difference. A bit of dive, but easily dealt with.

6. Ride 7/10. I find it comfy and smooth, as the springs and shocks are still stock. I could stand it to be a bit stiffer, though, to control the dive under braking.

7. Handling 7/10. I've driven a lot of good cars on teh street and track and this thing surprised me when i first drove it. It corners falt, and the line is very controllable with the throttle. Any oversteer is controllable, and the traction control lets there be a little bit of fun before reeling you back in. It's no Miata, but it's also no Camry.

8. Gearbox 7/10. Short throws, accurate, but slightly stiff.

9. Audio 8/10. The Shaker 500 sound system was nicely upgraded with the new bluetooth HU, but it doesnt' get turned up often due to the excellent soundtrack provided by the Pypes Violator exhaust. I may upgrade that to the Pype Bomb exhaust just to get more volume from it.

10. Toys 9/10. Outstanding aftermarket support, with anything I could want available. So far ive' done a lot of minor customization, but more suspension work and a supercharger are in it's future.

11. Value 7/10. It's a fairly new car and so it's still depreciating, thus some of it's value is lost. But the price was quite good for what the car cost new (I paid $16k against a $19k asking price when book was $22k). And what you get for the money is a lot of car.

12. Total 71/100. Woudl i buy it again? Yes, I would.
      I love cars, but the problem is they are like schroedinger's hobby. They're always in a quantum superstate of being both awesome and a huge waste of time and money... until observation momentarily forces them into one state or another.

Vehicles
      2011 Mustang GT Premium, 2004 VW R32, 2013 Ford Focus ST
      12-17-2012 12:44 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by Chris_V View Post
      12. Total 71/100. Woudl i buy it again? Yes, I would.
      2 different Mustangs, same score
      Professional wiener dog herder/craft beer drinker

So many Mustang mods they do not all fit in the signature box

Vehicles
      '08 VW Jetta SE 2.5
      12-17-2012 02:00 PM #23
      You have a category for Gearbox but no category for Engine? For an enthusiast, I can't think of anything that makes or breaks the character of a car than the engine...
      2008 VW Jetta SE 2.5 [current]
      1995 VW Jetta GLX VR6 [07.2003 - 03.2012]

Vehicles
      2013 Chevy Volt, 2014 Mini Cooper, '02 Suburban 2500LT
      12-17-2012 02:03 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by Wilhelm0075 View Post
      2 different Mustangs, same score
      With different scores in each category, too...

Quote Originally Posted by mhjett View Post
      You have a category for Gearbox but no category for Engine? For an enthusiast, I can't think of anything that makes or breaks the character of a car than the engine...
      Most people seem to be using the "acceleration" category for that (as well as a bit of the "audio" one for the sound it makes)
      I love cars, but the problem is they are like schroedinger's hobby. They're always in a quantum superstate of being both awesome and a huge waste of time and money... until observation momentarily forces them into one state or another.

Vehicles
      2008 BMW 335i
      12-17-2012 02:32 PM #25
      2008 BMW 335i

1. No pics, its terribly dirty (it's Ontario in the late fall, you can't keep a car clean), who doesn't know what a 335i sedan looks like, raise your hands?

2. Exterior 7/10
      - I don't like the tail lights, the updated kidneys/front looks better... but oh well. It's classic BMW styling still overall wins me over. Gets a lot of positive comments, especially in Monaco Blue.
      3. Interior 8/10
      - I like the interior layout, how simple everything is to operate, and the German business-like personality of it. It has the Terra leather and walnut wood inserts, perfect! Only demerit is a (common) rattle from the radio area. I know how to fix it, so just need to find the time and the felt tape to do it... not a biggie.
      4. Acceleration 9/10
      - More power then I'll ever need... Very satisfying
      5. Braking 7/10
      - They don't like it being wet... they take a long time to 'dry', and they have side/side pull when wet as well. The rest of the system works great, but yah... too twitchy/scary when the disks are soaked and you brake the first time
      6. Ride 8/10
      - The roads here are BAD... so this car is verging on a little too firm. Overall ride quality is fantastically damped, could use softer set-up for where I live tho. If I lived in an area with better roads, it would be a 9/10
      7. Handling 8/10
      - Very neutral, can play with the throttle. Not the most chuck-able car I've ever had. But very capable and fun! High limits... With RWD it isn't the most fun in snow/rain tho - my Audi was better, but on dry roads it's a blast.
      8. Gearbox 9/10
      - Best automatic I've driven to date... Love that it has three modes (normal/economy... sport... then a manual override. Sport mode is heaven)
      9. Audio 10/10 (Everything. Engine noise, exhaust, stereo, etc.)
      - H/K Logic 7 sound, and one of the best engine/exhaust notes I've ever heard on a passenger car... puts some muscle cars to shame. Straight six
      10. Toys 8/10
      - It's got most of the toys covered. Missing nav (on purpose) and heated steering wheel ()... Wish it had the adjustable thigh support some BMW's have
      11. Value 8/10
      - Got it for $26,800, with 52k kms on it (30k miles), 2 years warranty still on it, lower payments then my Golf, insurance is similar, get great mileage for how much power it has... so far so good!
      12. Total 82/100
      -So far, best car I've owned... I liked my Audi more in some ways (ride and handling year round was better)... but the BMW is built better, has way more value (warranty helps, so does a good purchase price)... Very solid car.

12-17-2012 02:35 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by Live-Wire View Post
      2008 BMW 335i

1. No pics, its terribly dirty (it's Ontario in the late fall, you can't keep a car clean), who doesn't know what a 335i sedan looks like, raise your hands?
      -raises hand-

Vehicles
      2013 BMW X5 35d; 2008 Mazda CX9
      12-17-2012 05:48 PM #27
      2004 Volvo V70R, 6MT, Titanium Gray exterior, Nordkap Blue interior

1. Pic (not mine, I don't have any handy, but this is the same color combo of mine)

2. Exterior 8/10

The car has a few weird angles, say angled view from the front. But from most other angles (front, side, rear) it just looks fantastic. Purposeful. Conservative but very cool 5 spoke wheels. terrific gray color that shifts depending on ambient light (also available at the time were black, sliver, red). The wheels, spoiler and understated twin pipes suggest somethign is up with the car but it is Q-ship the rest of the way.

3. Interior 7/10

The interior of the car is a mixed bag. The worst of the interior includes some pretty flimsy plastic center console components, hard plastic panels and hard plastic controls console with fat, randomly-located buttons. The things that make the interior soar, however, are (i) the front seats, and (ii) the leather covering them. The front seats are, bar none, the most comfortable, supportive, pleasant seats ever put into a car, ever. They are regal thrones from which to pilot the car. Volvo pulled out all the orthopedic and ergonmic stops to create seats that hold you in place for cornering yet feel almost tempurpredic like in their ability to keep you comfortable. I have drive 13 hours in the car in one go and never, not once, felt one of those uncomfortable hotspots that make you shift in your seat. They really are that good.

The leather in mine is a wonderful blue-black leather called Nordkap Blue. It is almost iridescent. It is also buttery soft. An available option was the Atacama leather, an orangish natural leather, but it requires a little bit more care and diligence to avoid stains.

4. Acceleration 8/10

The car is a little tough to launch, as its Haldex AWD system combined with the usual turbo lag conspire to induce a kind of bog-down from a standing start if you are not careful. Once going, the car rips to 60 in 5.8 seconds, the 5-cylinder engine emitting a strange thrumming roar. Like most of the great turbo Swedish cars (Viggen, 9000 Aero), in-gear accelleration in 2nd and 3rd is to be feared -- blink and you're well past posted speed limits. Unlike those wonderful Saab's of old, there is no torque steer at all.

5. Braking 7/10

The brakes are highly effective but lack a little bit of feel.

6. Ride 4/10

Very wonky ride. The car's suspension is electronically damped with adjustible Ohlins dampers, one of the first mass produced applications of adjustable ride quality -- and it shows. Three settings are available -- Comfort, Sport and Advanced. the first, Comfort, is perfect for bumpy roads but hit a small pothole, manhole cover, or expansion joint with one wheel and the tail end wags bizarrely and ominously. Sport tightens things up into a proper balance been ride and sport, while Advanced is too stuff for anything other than purists (although it does advance ignition timing, making me wish the ignition timing change in Advanced could be combined with the Sport or Comfort setting). The general ride quality is jiggly and not hearly as composed as it shoudl be with such an advanced (for its time) suspension. The car pitches and heaves in weird directions and resonances. It does not hurt one's confidene in the handling in any material way, but it is a glaring imperfection.

7. Handling 5/10

The ride quality and odd suspension effects hurt handling, but in general the car hits corners well, slight understeer, and if its slippery you can even get the tail out. The steering is a real weak effort -- the wonderfully good, meaty steering wheel is backed up with truly lame, empty steering effort and feedback.

8. Gearbox 7/10

probably not the smoothes gearbox, a littl ebit industrial in its action, but it clicks into gear with a resounding thunk and almost never gets in the way of fast shifting. 5th gear seems like it is unnecessary as the spread betwen 4th and 6th is just not all that big.

9. Audio 8/10 (Everything. Engine noise, exhaust, stereo, etc.)

Terrific, rich audio system. Minus points for lack of OEM iPod connectivity but that is easily remedied through 3rd party vendors like Sensolutions, whose IMIV device is 2 hour install for those not afraid to pull out the factory head unit.

The engine note is strange. It has the usual 5 cylinder thrumming, combined with a little bit of agicultural noise that reminds you that this engine has its roots in the early 1990's. At high rpms, the thrum becomes almost chirpy. Some turbo whistle is audible.

The stock exhaust from the outside has a nice odd-time burble, it is barely noticeable from the inside.

10. Toys 5/10

Not much add-on here. The electronc suspension system, grafted onto a car known for its stoutness and predictability and somewhat trucklike base level handling, instead of sporting pretense, and now 8 years old technology, becomes a half-baked solution at best. Sometimes the car feels well wired, and sometimes it feels like it's going to pitch and heave in the opposite direction from where you expect. The ride quality adjustment is helpful if you have a comfort-loving spouse and you love tight suspensions, but that is about all it offers. The audio system is formidable, allowing for truly unreal blasts of music and ear-damaging volumes that tsill retain high levels of clarity.

11. Value 10/10

The car cost $42k new. When you understand what it is, you realize pretty quickly that there is virtually nothing in its class. In 2004, if you were to try to come up with a list of sporty medium/large wagons featuring very fast accelleration and performance, you basically had a list of 3 -- Subaru Legacy GT Wagon, Dodge Magnum SRT8, and the V70R. If you wanted a row your own gears, you were left only with the Subie and the Volvo. Nowdayas, there is basiclaly nothing on the market that fulfills the specs: manual tranmission, non-SUV that hauls a couch and ass at the same time. In 2004, you picked the Subie if you liked their brand of sportiness (and there is much to commend there), the Magnum if you didn't want AWD and lked your power the old fashioned 'murrican way, and the Volvo if you liked swedish sensibility with a fat dollop of your crazy Uncle Olaf after he's had a few too many swigs fom the aquavit bottle. Nowadays, with the wagon market basically having disappeared altogether in the US, purists who want roaring performance in a vehicle that will also haul tons of baby gear are left with high end V8 SUV's or a hot hatch that can't haul as much gear.

In short, the V70R is a terrific value for the money. At today's prices for used speciments, especially in manual transmission form, these cars are an enthusiasts' dream.

the faults in the V70R are nuisances, to be sure, but they don't kill the overall package. Highly desirable, fun to drive, great sounds, great cargo capacity, amazing front seats.

12. Total 70/100
      Caretaker of the National Strategic Beer Reserve

28. 12-17-2012 06:13 PM #28
      I guess I'll play:

2. Exterior 7/10 - it's not ugly, but it's not always pretty. Honda paint sucks, but there's not a ding on it.

3. Interior 8/10 - I'd like a round steering wheel and no shiny things, but the seats, layout, and versatility are great.

4. Acceleration 7/10 - it's fast enough to be fun, but nothing special.

5. Braking 7/10 - they stop the car and seem to last forever, but I've had better.

6. Ride 9/10 - strikes a just about ideal balance.

7. Handling 8/10 - for a cheap FWD car, it's quite good.

8. Gearbox 10/10 - it's a Honda.

9. Audio 8/10 - great engine note, good stereo, a bit noisy on the highway, some slight interference with an iPod hooked up.

10. Toys 4/10 - the steering wheel audio controls are fun and I'm still amused by the shape of the handbrake... but it's a Civic.

11. Value 10/10 - for what I paid and what it's worth, nothing comes close.

12. Total 78/100 - a solid average.

29. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Gallardo Spyder, 2001 Miata LS, 2006 Corvette-Sold, 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 650R (RIP)
      12-17-2012 06:18 PM #29

My Car-2006 Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder (pic taken by TCL's own SVT288!)

1. Exterior 9/10
      Not as crazy looking as the Diablo/Murcielago/Aventador but it is a striking design

2. Interior 8/10
      I love the 2-tone leather but apart from that I don't care too much about the interior of a sportscar. The nav screen is a little worn-looking (even though it's not a touchscreen it seems like every older Gallardo has the same issue). For some reason my back hurts after driving this car for more than 30 minutes, probably because the pedals are a little offset to the right and the dead pedal isn't aligned optimally

3. Acceleration 8/10
      It's undoubtedly a fast car but not as fast as you'd think (it would probably get beaten by a Z06 in a straight line). The lack of low-end torque is apparent unless you're really getting on it

4. Braking 9/10
      No issues here although the brakes squeal from time to time

5. Ride 10/10
      The ride is amazing for the kind of car it is. Shockingly smooth over poor surfaces

6. Handling 8/10
      The car is heavy and feels heavy. I'm sure the actual limits of the car are higher than my skills to extract them but it's not as "tossable" feeling as my old C6 was, and the C6 isn't the nimblest car in the world either

7. Gearbox 6/10
      Not a big fan of the E-Gear tranny. It's cool if you're driving hard but a HUGE pain in the ass around town. I would much, much rather have a proper manual

8. Audio 8/10
      The sound system is surprisingly weak for a car in this price range but the engine sound is incredible. I prefer a deep rumble but the high-pitched shriek is addictive and loud enough to set off car alarms

9. Toys 8/10
      The ability to raise the nose to clear speed bumps/ramps is really cool but the 6-CD changer (and no iPod hookup) is archaic

10. Value 5/10 or 10/10
      You can find better-performing cars for much less money but there are few cars in the world that attract as much attention (for better or worse) so it really depends on what your priorities are

Total: 79/100 or 84/100 [/QUOTE]
      "When you need to get somewhere quickly, I'd rather get there the fastest I can, looking the best I can"-Rutledge Wood

Vehicles
      nothing to see here
      12-17-2012 07:30 PM #30
      Looks like this:

1. Exterior 8/10
      Refreshed exterior looks better than the 2006-2008 E92's. 16" wheels look a little homely.

2. Interior 6/10
      brushed aluminum trim looks okay. Some soft touch plastics add to an upscale feeling car. But, the AL trim on the driver side door is too easily dinged by the retracting seatbelt. Also, paint around the power window switches and start button is starting to peel Dash has a simple layout, which I like. Poorly placed and designed cupholders. The regular (non sport) seats are comfortable. Could use more side bolstering when cornering aggressively. But having said that, it's a very comfortable highway hauler. Done plenty of road trips in it and keeps the driver comfortable. Back seat is not suitable for adults on long trips though.

3. Acceleration 7/10
      I really like the BMW NA inline sixes and this is no exception. Smooth linear power delivery. Acceleration is good. Passing power is also decent. Not a rocket ship, but more than adequate.

4. Braking 9/10
      Excellent braking, the pedal is a bit sensitive and touchy though. Lots of brake dust from the OE pads.

5. Ride 8/10
      with the stock run flats, I would give it a 5. But, with the Conti Extreme DW's, it's a solid 8.

6. Handling 7/10
      Handling is pretty neutral and emergency handling is predictable. For canyon carving, it's not bad either. Yes, it could improve with the sport suspension package albeit at the expense of ride comfort. Also, handling improved with stickier & wider summer tires (see above). Steering weight is good, but feel is slightly isolated.

7. Gearbox 6/10
      The 6 speed steptronic (auto) is a bit dimwitted, slow to downshift and sometimes too quick to upshift in regular mode, kind of lazy in general. In Sport mode, it's too herky jerky to drive normally, downshifts abruptly when slowing down. Can be sort of remedied in manual mode. My wife's old E46 330Ci with the 5 speed auto didn't seem to have this issue.

8. Audio 4/10
      stock head unit crapped out within the first year, driver's door speaker has intermittent for as long as we've had the car (dealer couldn't find the problem when it was under warranty) I just deal with it now that it's out of warranty....

9. Toys 6/10
      none really other than bluetooth, aux audio and homelink are convenient. But, those are pretty standard these days. Power seats with memory

10. Value 5/10
      For a $40K car, it isn't really high on the value list.

Total: 66 - D ouch maybe my expectations are too high.

12-17-2012 07:31 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by thetopdog View Post

Total: 79/100 or 84/100
      [/QUOTE]

Far higher than I would rate a Gallardo, having plenty of seat time in a 6-speed coupe.

Vehicles
      2009 Si sedan and 2012 Crosstour 4WD
      12-17-2012 07:55 PM #32
      Which do you guys want a review of? 2009 Civic Si sedan, or '12 Crosstour EXL 4WD?

12-17-2012 08:22 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by Ross1013 View Post
      Which do you guys want a review of? 2009 Civic Si sedan, or '12 Crosstour EXL 4WD?
      Crosstour, Si reviews are a dime a dozen.

Vehicles
      2009 Si sedan and 2012 Crosstour 4WD
      12-17-2012 10:27 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by pontiac View Post
      Crosstour, Si reviews are a dime a dozen.
      OK. Keep in mind that I'm comparing the 'Turd to the other cars that are in its general competitive sphere, and my ratings will reflect how it does against those cars, and relative to my expectations...not how it compares with lust-inspiring cars in totally different genres.

Google is the best I can do for images...I just did a software update on my phone and now can't figure out how to dump images via USB. "It looks just like this" (silver metallic on black leather, V6, AWD, NAV)

2. Exterior: 7 out of 10

It looks great from straight-on in front or back, OK from the side, and very odd or frumpy from every other angle in between. I like it, but it takes a lot for me to hate a car's exterior.

3. Interior 10 out of 10

I'm much more picky about the interior. I demand a combination of ergonomic excellence, handy storage cubbies, and above-average materials quality/design. The Crosstour excels at most of these and the incredible quality of the carpeting in the cargo area is one of those little things that says it all about what the car is about. The seats are very comfortable front and rear, and the interior room is just astounding. I wanted to ding it because the storage for little items up front isn't quite as plentiful as in her old Accord or my Civic, but the versatility and hidden compartments of the cargo area more than make up for it.

4. Acceleration 9 out of 10

Considering it's a ~4200-lb car w/AWD and around 250lb-ft and 275hp it scoots very well. Particularly when you factor in the 22-23MPG we've been getting so far. The J-series is still the best NA V6 on the market IMO and it sounds great at WOT.

5. Braking 8 out of 10

Considering it's a Honda, we'll probably chew through the pads quickly and I'm sure if we went to the InsideLine test track we'd experience lots of fade. But on the street doing its intended tasks, the brakes perform brilliantly with great pedal feel and very little dive.

6. Ride 10 out of 10

The Crosstour rides smoothly without being too soft. Double wishbones and hydraulic steering contribute to a solid, BMW-like feel over any surface. The 'Tour rides better and is quieter than the Accord V6 sedan it is based on, while taking on only a smidge of body roll and sluggishness relative to that car.

7. Handling 8 out of 10

It's not as sharp as her old Accord, but isn't a whole lot worse than the TSX wagon I tested a few months back. I'm only dinging it because there's no SH-AWD and I'd really like some outside-wheel acceleration. But the Accord steering and suspension, again, endow the 'Tour with a far sportier ride than, for example, a Toyota Venza, and even some current family sedans (Camry V6).

8. Gearbox 7 out of 10

Honda's 5AT is old now, and my biggest beef with this car is the lack of manual capability. However, the age is comforting, since some buyers of the new 6AT MDX have reported problems with the transmissions. The 5AT is at the end of its cycle and has been refined over and over again. In the 'Tour it delivers smooth, confident shifts and my gripes about no manumatic functions were allayed somewhat by the new software that keeps the car in-gear if it senses that the wheels are turned at all. 2012 Crosstours get the 6AT w/manual shift, but in terms of long-term cost prospects I'm more comfortable w/the old 5AT.

9. Audio 8 out of 10 (Everything. Engine noise, exhaust, stereo, etc.)

No real exhaust noise to speak of, but the induction howl inside the cabin at WOT is classic Honda. Sometimes you can hear the VTEC and sometimes not, but it always sounds like it's ready to rev to 7500 or so. There is an active noise-cancellation system that blocks out basically everything but the engine note. So my wife and I can talk at a whisper, but when you ask the engine to sing, it will.

10. Toys 8.5 out of 10

The toys are great in my wife's book, because she was coming from a car without any. The nav system is outdated (no bird's eye view, no traffic function) but still works very well and is easy to use. Being able to easily do any NAV, radio, and even climate function by voice is great too. The system isn't as fancy as MFTStynk or UVO but is dead simple to use and never leaves you saying "Ah F it I'll just pull over and use my hands"

The 2013 Crosstour is a MMC/LCI, and it's getting an all-new center stack from the 2013 Accord including the next-gen NAV system that reads text messages to you, as well as the killer LaneWatch system and the curved driver's mirror and a lot of other huge updates. So clearly Honda knew that the 'Tour needed a bit of a pick-me-up in this department. But again, for my wife, who isn't a B-grade auto journalist and doesn't drive the newest BMW or Acura, it's fantastic.

11. Value 10 out of 10

Considering that we paid $8K under MSRP, I can't complain at all. We got a poor man's 5-series GT for CR-V money and it doesn't get any better than that. Our car is fully loaded and doesn't lack any of the features my wife was after, and it really does drive like the refined sedan it's based on and not a truck that cuts corners.

But even at full MSRP of around $39K I think it represents a decent deal considering the limited European competition...but for that $ I'd bring other cars into the equation (BMW X1, CPO MDX, new ZDX ).

12. Total 85.5 out of 100

Considering how much I love the thing, 85.5 seems pretty low. But I'll stick to it so as not to seem totally deluded

But, it fits our needs perfectly and gives us the exact combination of performance, luxury, and utility we were looking for. And I think it looks cool, if not beautiful.
      Last edited by Ross1013; 12-17-2012 at 10:31 PM.

35. 12-17-2012 08:48 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by Ross1013 View Post
      Both. I've seen your review of the '07 sedan, but I'd be curious what somebody who drives a ton of cars thinks five years later.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast