Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Apple Australian Issues

1. 12-18-2012 05:49 AM #1
      So I got an American iPad and am having trouble plugging the power adapter into an Australian power socket......

Can someone help?
      iPad Certified.

12-18-2012 06:13 AM #2
      Plug adapter, or Apple travel kit. But the best idea by far is to go into any of the large hotels with a big conference facility, ask to speak with the leading hand, and tell him you were there presenting last week, and left your power adapter behind. They'll have one....because someone will have done exactly that!
      two german cars

3. 12-18-2012 06:19 AM #3
      $1.00 and an ikea lamp

4. 12-18-2012 06:50 AM #4
      Wow - thanks Guys!

There must be heaps of folk here with similar problems with Apple products that are Australian specific issues!
      iPad Certified.

5. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      B7 Passat
      12-18-2012 08:05 AM #5
      Why not just grab another wall charger? They're only $10-15.

12-18-2012 08:18 AM #6
      Grab any figure 8 power cable, remove the US prongs and enjoy a lengthened power feed.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr Stubby, Esq. View Post
      buy both, save time.

7. Senior Member
      12-18-2012 12:24 PM #7
      Ok what am I missing here? Did the apple thread get moved?
      Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bookie View Post
      gt2 is a luxury car, yes.

Vehicles
      BMW/Ford/Colnago/Blackhawk/DMR
      12-18-2012 02:47 PM #8
      Use the same cable as your iPhone and all will be well.

9. 12-18-2012 04:18 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by WAY View Post
      Ok what am I missing here? Did the apple thread get moved?
      Can't find it.

The Apple h8er mods deleted it.

Vehicles
      MY10 Audi S3
      12-20-2012 07:38 AM #10
      Any tips for a cheap A4 inkjet/scanner for home use?

Vehicles
      MY10 Audi S3
      12-20-2012 07:41 AM #11
      Oh, for simple home use is an AirPort Extreme Base Station worth the extra money over AirPort Express?

At the moment I have a 7+ year old AirPort Express which struggles to give WiFi coverage from one end of the house to the other. Might a newer AirPort Express overcome that issue, or is the Extreme a better bet?

12. 12-20-2012 03:55 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by Lima View Post
      Oh, for simple home use is an AirPort Extreme Base Station worth the extra money over AirPort Express?

At the moment I have a 7+ year old AirPort Express which struggles to give WiFi coverage from one end of the house to the other. Might a newer AirPort Express overcome that issue, or is the Extreme a better bet?
      I got a better outcome having two stations and connected them via those power plug thingies. Our internal walls are brick not stud and I'd figure yours are too?
      iPad Certified.

Vehicles
      MY10 Audi S3
      12-20-2012 05:33 PM #13
      Yes, brick walls internally.

Can you explain to me more about the power plug thingies. Remember, I'm a designer, so I only understand things if they look good! I am (comparatively) pretty dumb with technical stuff.

14. 12-20-2012 07:27 PM #14
      We have had an Airport Extreme for a few years now.

Stone home, brick internal walls, timber floors. The only room with marginal wifi is the only room that has two solid walls between it and the access point. It is also downstairs from the access point and is the only room with a concrete ceiling.

Pity you have a flat roof. Ceiling space would be a good option to get around the wall barriers...

Vehicles
      MY10 Audi S3
      12-20-2012 09:15 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by auR32 View Post
      We have had an Airport Extreme for a few years now.

Stone home, brick internal walls, timber floors. The only room with marginal wifi is the only room that has two solid walls between it and the access point. It is also downstairs from the access point and is the only room with a concrete ceiling.

Pity you have a flat roof. Ceiling space would be a good option to get around the wall barriers...
      Thanks. Sounds like a win for the Extreme.

12-20-2012 09:56 PM #16
      I have an Extreme + Time Capsule thingy as the main router, and then 3 Airport Expresses around the house, mainly because they're also connected to speaker systems. Our house is steel framed with normal plasterboard; we could get by with just one Express, I think

12-20-2012 11:36 PM #17
      There is a connection limit on the Express, 50 users/devices. The extreme has a bunch of physical lan ports as well. Otherwise these days the Express is a pretty grunty device. It does dual band as well so if the connection device (ipad, phone etc) supports it you can get it off the crowded 2.4 channel and on to 5Ghz.

Also if you get a new express your old one may be able to "extend" the range of the new one but you would need to check if your old device supports that as it is quiet old by now.
      buy both, save time.

18. 12-21-2012 12:47 AM #18
      Yes, brick walls internally.

Can you explain to me more about the power plug thingies. Remember, I'm a designer, so I only understand things if they look good! I am (comparatively) pretty dumb with technical stuff.
      I think Apple use the technology as well (?) but Datacom make them too. You get two wall outlet little boxes that have an RJ45 on each of them. Plug them in and press a button on each of them. They hook up to each other and transfer data over your power cables through the house.

Amazing little device. So I have one connected to my main router and then the other one is connected to a secondary router which acts as another wifi plus it has more RJ45 ports also.

Works a treat as our house is single storey but a fair size. One router can't cope with that space + all the brick walls.
      iPad Certified.

12-21-2012 12:55 AM #19
      Tank. One work of caution. If you have multiple circuits then powerline ethernet might not work.
      buy both, save time.

20. 12-21-2012 02:12 AM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by sweatyworker View Post
      Tank. One work of caution. If you have multiple circuits then powerline ethernet might not work.
      Hey - caution Lima. Mine's working fine At least it will until 10:11pm tonight - goodbye all!
      iPad Certified.

Vehicles
      MY10 Audi S3
      12-21-2012 07:42 AM #21
      As part of the renos we have a Clipsal star serve box, currently with 3 data points (1 in study, 1 for TV unit and 1 in living room juts off the kitchen). I only wish I thought of this earlier so I could have had a data point in the garage as well. So really, I just want to make sure I can get wifi access in the garage.

At the moment, the express is plugged in at the study and I'm still in the back bedroom, which is next to the garage, and it's managing to hold on okay. But I don't think I'd have much luck in the garage with the current set up.

The star serve, which is housed in a laundry cupboard, can have 4 data points, so maybe I can put the extreme in there and see if that works out okay and use the express I have as a booster maybe.

So, next question, how do I use the express as a booster?!

12-21-2012 07:47 AM #22
      So, next question, how do I use the express as a booster?!
      Sparkies have NFI when it comes to home networking

Configuring an extended Wi-Fi base station

1. Place any extended Wi-Fi base stations within range of the primary Wi-Fi base station
      2. Ensure that all 802.11n Wi-Fi base stations are powered on and allow them time to appear in the AirPort Menu Extra
      3. Open AirPort Utility (On a Mac, choose Go > Applications from your desktop, click the Utilities folder, then open AirPort Utility. In Microsoft Windows, choose Start > All Programs > AirPort to start AirPort Utility).
      4. Select the Extended Wi-Fi base station in the Base Station Chooser, then click Continue. Note: If you see a message appear that indicates that the Wi-Fi base station has been reset, click Cancel to continue.
      5. Click Manual Setup. Enter the base station password if necessary.
      6. Click AirPort in the toolbar.
      7. Click Wireless.
      8. Choose “Extend a wireless network” from the Wireless Mode menu.
      9. Choose the network you want to extend from the Network Name menu.
      10. Enter the network and device password if necessary, then click Update.
      11. The next window may indicate that there are some problems. Resolve the problems, then click Update.
      buy both, save time.

Vehicles
      MY10 Audi S3
      12-21-2012 07:53 AM #23
      Perfect. Thank you.

Vehicles
      MY10 Audi S3
      12-22-2012 07:51 AM #24
      So, I have moved my iMac and peripherals into AUSmotive HQ, plugged into the data port the AirPort Express was previously using. And tinternet is very, very slow.

The Express has moved to another data point and seeing as the speed was okay when it was just the Express connected to the star serve I thought, perhaps, the star serve was struggling with two data connections (haha).

But after unplugging the AirPort Express my internet connection is still desperately slow.

Just coincidence, or something more sinister since unplugging and moving everything?

25. 12-23-2012 11:51 PM #25

26. 12-26-2012 12:17 AM #26
      smashed the absolute bejeezus out of my 2.5 year old iPhone 4 yesterday. Went into the apple store this morning and had it swapped on the spot for a 'refurbished' one for $179.... I suspect refurbished just means factory fresh though, the thing is in absolutely perfect condition.

Pretty impressive customer service IMO....

27. 12-26-2012 08:01 AM #27
      So I become a full time graphic design student in Feb studying at CATC in the Rocks. After 12 years at the same company, it's well past it's used by date.

I have my Dell XPS 17" - I carried it around Melbourne for 2 weeks and it's just too big and heavy to keep taking it with me daily. It is with hand on heart that I'm considering a Mac, MBP 15" with the Retina display. Looking around, it's the best hardware for what I need.

Can I upgrade SSD & RAM? If so, will any brand/model of RAM & SSD work?
      Can anyone tell me how good is Boot Camp for the retina hardware?
      Can I run Windows only? Is it then a simple process to put OSX back?

Thanks for any help guys

12-26-2012 08:32 AM #28
      I went to MSY and got generic RAM and a Samsung SSD.
      buy both, save time.

Vehicles
      MY08 WRX (SGP) Mk II GTI (AUS)
      12-26-2012 09:03 AM #29
      If you Google, you will find out that:
      a) The RAM is soldered to the board
      b) You likely can't put your own SSD in.

As for bootcamp, you just shrink the OSX partition down to something really small - a few gig only, and use the rest for Windows. OSX is compulsory though, as you need it to run bootcamp. Windows on Mac hardware without bootcamp isn't technically feasible.

Vehicles
      MY10 Audi S3
      12-26-2012 09:44 PM #30
      A laptop for design work is self-inflicted torture. Get an iMac (as well) if you can.

31. 12-27-2012 03:25 AM #31
      A laptop for design work is self-inflicted torture. Get an iMac (as well) if you can.
      haha yeah good one Liam, a new laptop AND a new desktop. Did you miss the part about me now being a student? I will be running external monitors at home.

Surely you don't need to take it to apple to later upgrade the RAM & Storage? But when I look at photos, the underside is missing any user accessible flaps ???

12-27-2012 03:32 AM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by FL00DY View Post

Surely you don't need to take it to apple to later upgrade the RAM & Storage? But when I look at photos, the underside is missing any user accessible flaps ???
      http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/MacBo...eardown/9462/1

As in the MacBook Air, the RAM is soldered to the logic board. Max out at 16GB now, or forever hold your peace—you can't upgrade.
      The proprietary SSD isn't upgradeable either (yet), as it is similar but not identical to the one in the Air. It is a separate daughtercard, and we’re hopeful we can offer an upgrade in the near future.
      buy both, save time.

33. 12-27-2012 04:11 AM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by FL00DY View Post
      the underside is missing any user accessible flaps ???
      Sounds like one of my ex girlfriends.

34. Member
      12-27-2012 05:02 AM #34

35. 12-27-2012 05:44 AM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by smarm View Post
      Sounds like one of my ex girlfriends.
      I'm out.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast