Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 27 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Should we fear new gun laws?

Vehicles
      20th GTI, B3000 4x4, 06 Night Rod
      12-19-2012 07:50 PM #1
      Thanks to these pieces of rotting in hell **** that decided its a good Idea to go on a shooting spree, should we fear new gun laws? I am X Military and have wanted a nice Colt AR15 but have yet to put away the money for it. With all this crap going on do you guys think that there will be new laws again restricting assault rifles? And is this affecting sale prices now (have the prices sky rocketed)?
      Also what is the best AR on a budget, I have not researched this much as there are so many makers building this gun I would want Mil. spec (without the 3rd burst of course) and chambered for 5.56 not 223. Also would investing in 30rd mags be a good idea?

I just worry some crazy new laws are going to pass and getting an AR will become extremely difficult and expensive...
      You Won't do it...

Vehicles
      14' A4 S-line, 2008 DBP R32(sold), 2005 FZ6, 03 Cobra, 12 Tiguan SEL 4mo
      12-19-2012 08:04 PM #2
      There is definitly a possibility that an AWB will happen with all this talk lately from Obama and what not, i hope it doesnt but if so nothing we can do. In the case that it does you'd better be like everyone else and go buy a rifle now, if you can even find one, and even then good luck finding ammo

3. 12-19-2012 08:50 PM #3
      I'm not a huge gun guy but from the talk all over the news this seems different. I bet there will be a cap on mag size and a ban on assault style weapons. I would have liked to buy one, too late now. all the shops around here are clean out! ( exaggeration but they have very few left in inventory ) when I do opt to buy a rifle the ones I want will still be around.

Vehicles
      86 GTI 2.0L, 88 Scirocco 16V, 2010 F150 STX
      12-19-2012 10:56 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubbinJetta91 View Post
      In the case that it does you'd better be like everyone else and go buy a rifle now, if you can even find one, and even then good luck finding ammo
      One place moved AR lowers out at a rate of one every 15 seconds... the screen grab to prove it:
      http://www.dumpt.com/img/viewer.php?...ut51lln516.jpg

Mags, ammo, and AR's are being gobbled up.

Dick's, Cheaper Than Dirt, and another place pulled AR's from sale... CTD suspended all firearm sales but then got huge backlash and started again.

Ammoman.com is closed to catch up.
      Lots of sites are slow due to traffic.
      Surplus rifle ammo is pretty much gone.
      Mags are pretty much gone. CTD has jacked mag prices up, upset lots of folks.

Everyone is saying the same thing... this is bad and it is different than before.

Response from one AR lower vendor (copied from another forum):
      Our site keeps our inventory, as you do not see these items on our site right now, we are not taking orders for these. I'm sorry but I can't even give you an e.t.a. on when we will be selling them again. When you see them on the site for sale again and can add one to the shopping cart then they're available again. These are scary times bud, never seen this with even Y2K, '04, '08/'09 or whatever. Very uncertain future for our little industry.
      Stores sit on hold for NICS checks for over an hour in one thread, another poster claims that is good, when you pres #1 now it just says "We're sorry all circuits are busy. Please try your call later."

One poster stated seeing Colt ARs for $2500 in Kentucky, with off-brands at $1800 and a Spikes upper at $600.

Saiga-12 MD-Arms 20-rd drums sold out in minutes after being listed at one site.

Another poster stated his friend owns a large company and sold 15K AR mags yesterday.
      020 trans info pages - www.BrokeVW.com
      NEW 0.7619 5th gears for the 020
      NEW 020 reverse gears
      '86 GTI 8V 2.0L -'88 Scirocco 16V - '10 F150 4x4

5. Member
      Vehicles
      01 Toyota 4runner sr5
      12-20-2012 01:21 AM #5
      They've already admitted that legislation for an AWB is coming, the question is will it pass?
      oh herro.

Vehicles
      MkV GTI and V70 3.2
      12-20-2012 07:14 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by wRek View Post
      They've already admitted that legislation for an AWB is coming, the question is will it pass?
      Here's hoping the Republicans in the House stall the thing.

Vehicles
      12-20-2012 09:06 AM #7
      Hey! I found a set of FIVE Magpul pmags for the AR!

They've only been bit up to $284.99 right now on gunbroker!

That's only $57 each.

Holy crap.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=322877230
      NEW 020 reverse gears

Vehicles
      20th GTI, B3000 4x4, 06 Night Rod
      12-20-2012 09:17 AM #8
      Yeah I saw that too. Its a good thing I may or may not have a crap load of mil spec 30rnd mags and a few magpulls (from my ground pounding grunt days).
      You Won't do it...

9. Senior Member FlashRedGLS1.8T's Avatar
      12-20-2012 09:49 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by wRek View Post
      No but it appears some of the Republicans are getting wet noodle spines in a hurry. We expect this crap from the Democrats.

Vehicles
      MkV GTI and V70 3.2
      12-20-2012 09:54 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by FlashRedGLS1.8T View Post
      No but it appears some of the Republicans are getting wet noodle spines in a hurry. We expect this crap from the Democrats.
      Politicians are politicians - it doesn't matter what side of the aisle they're on.

I wish the gun owner/enthusiast/collector community would settle the hell down - this rush and subsequent retarded price jump isn't helping anyone right now.

Vehicles
      12-20-2012 12:34 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by NoDubJustYet View Post
      I wish the gun owner/enthusiast/collector community would settle the hell down - this rush and subsequent retarded price jump isn't helping anyone right now.
      Agreed, but it doesn't look to be slowing... those pmags are up to $355 now, $71 each.

Edit... $455 now. Plus shipping of $20. Someone has agreed to purchase 5 magazines for $95 each shipped.
      Oops.... in the time it took me to edit this post and refresh the page, $460 now.
      No.
      Refresh.
      $505.
      The bidders must not be serious. Surely not.

Edit again... $515 + $20 shipping = $107 each and they actually sold for that.
      Last edited by Broke; 12-20-2012 at 03:09 PM.
      NEW 020 reverse gears

Vehicles
      MkV GTI and V70 3.2
      12-20-2012 01:55 PM #12
      I was only 13 or 14 when Willy signed the original AWB...What kind of crazy stuff went down then? Granted the Internet as we know it was in its infancy then, but what did prices do during that timeframe?

Any old folks care to share?

13. 12-20-2012 02:30 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by roccostud View Post
      I bet there will be a cap on mag size and a ban on assault style weapons.
      No doubt. The question is how strict will the AWB be? Will it be a grandfathered 94' Clinton style ban or will it be a "Turn them in, destroy them or alter them" style legislation?

Vehicles
      08 S2R1000 Ducati Monster
      12-20-2012 02:58 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by foxtrot762 View Post
      No doubt. The question is how strict will the AWB be? Will it be a grandfathered 94' Clinton style ban or will it be a "Turn them in, destroy them or alter them" style legislation?
      Fortunately I lost all of mine in that boating accident so there will be nothing to turn in...

What's crazy is I purchased parts from LaRue mear days before any of this **** happened... Go to their site now and Magazines aren't even listed in their category... I should have picked up that C-Mag when I placed my order... But who could have foreseen this sh*t
      Quote Originally Posted by Motorwerks View Post
      Its not just AR15.com.... its the rest of the internet.

Vehicles
      MkV GTI and V70 3.2
      12-20-2012 03:17 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by foxtrot762 View Post
      Good luck with that... I'd hate to be the rookie ATF agent being sent to rural Appalachia, up-state Michigan, Idaho or Eastern Washington. to ask those nice folks for their scary assault rifles. Bad things will happen if something as extreme as that went into effect.
      Last edited by NoDubJustYet; 12-21-2012 at 06:09 PM.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      01 Toyota 4runner sr5
      12-20-2012 03:28 PM #16
      I think it'll start with the proposal to re-instate the AWB of 94', including a few newer additions, as well as the sale of ALL magazines over 10 rounds.

What they could do is get the Republicans to agree to a basic AWB + hi-cap magazines thinking it's an alright compromise... And then when another shooting takes place he passes an executive order to ban assault rifles COMPLETELY including "pre-ban" weapons.

Will this happen? Who knows. I sure as hell hope not. Could it happen? Well... Would it really surprise you at this point?

And don't give into the panic buying and price gouging. Join your local gun forums and you can still find people who need to sell their stuff because they got into a financial bind of some sort.
      oh herro.

Vehicles
      02 vw golf, 88 Toyota Hilux, 93 4runner(sold), 97 VR jetta(sold)
      12-20-2012 03:44 PM #17
      Also hoping this doesn't go through anytime soon because I'm about 1/2 way saved up to purchase an AR

18. 12-20-2012 03:49 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by 02vwgolf View Post
      Also hoping this doesn't go through anytime soon because I'm about 1/2 way saved up to purchase an AR
      Obama said they should have some concrete legislation written up before the end of January which he "intends to push through quickly"

Vehicles
      '14 WRX, '07 MX-5, '03 Silverado
      12-20-2012 04:09 PM #19
      I'm not really into the whole "tacti-cool" stuff, so I'm not worried about AR parts supply or prices, but damn the ammo prices are volatile and will probably get more so. Even lowly .22LR is averaging about double what it was last summer in my area. 9mm is a few more bucks/box than just a few months ago. I don't know if it's just local stores taking advantage of the hysteria and gouging or an indication of a bump in wholesale prices, but it's almost enough to make me consider reloading. Most of my firearms are 9mm or .22LR so I never even bothered to research reloading in the past, but if it's going to start costing twice as much to go to the range for awhile, I may reverse that decision.

Honestly, I don't think that we'll see much more gun legislation enacted. There is a lot of talk right now, but I'm sure it will die or be horribly neutered in committee as time goes on. We may see the old AWB reinstated, but I bet that's as far as it goes.

Vehicles
      '09 GTI
      12-20-2012 04:57 PM #20
      Good luck with that... I'd hate to be the rookie ATF agent being sent to rural Appalachia, up-state Michigan, Idaho or Western Washington. to ask those nice folks for their scary assault rifles. Bad things will happen if something as extreme as that went into effect.
      Exactly this, why an all out ban will never happen. You and I may not be ready to lay down our life for some guns, but I guarantee if there ever was a "turn-em-in" ban, there would be many, many, many cases of shootouts with ATF, and lots of dead ATF agents, across the country, and this would be too much for the country to handle. Political fallout from things like Ruby Ridge and Waco were more easily managed in the media by the ATF because they were singular incidents, but that kind of thing would happen 100 fold across the country, guaranteed. They wouldn't be able to cover it up with things like "religious cult nutjobs" and "members of the Aryan Nation stockpiling weapons" (while those people are certainly out there).

I think we're looking at an AWB and magazine limit similar to 1994, and the best that we can hope for is for them to include a sunset provision as was previously included. And highly inflated ammo prices, if not by some strange law then simply because of demand. Which is like the gift that keeps on giving, every time you want to go plinking...
      Last edited by Triumph; 12-20-2012 at 05:01 PM.
      -Triumph, the Insult Comic Dog

I saw this in a movie about a bus that had to speed around the city, keeping its speed over fifty, and if its speed dropped, the bus would explode! I think it was called, "The Bus That Couldn't Slow Down."

21. 12-20-2012 05:26 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by Triumph View Post
      And highly inflated ammo prices, if not by some strange law then simply because of demand. Which is like the gift that keeps on giving, every time you want to go plinking...
      Which is why I'm investing in a .22LR rifle and handgun. Plinking is more fun when you can spend $23 and shoot all day long.

22. 12-20-2012 05:57 PM #22
      I went to order a few magazines for my PPQ through Midway last night, and they wouldn't let me order 4...only 2. Not due to stock, but because they want to be "fair and reasonable" with their customers. I passed.

What nonsense. I wasn't even ordering because of the hype, I just wanted some magazines. Guess I'll wait.

Vehicles
      Old Ford Truck
      12-20-2012 06:57 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by 02vwgolf View Post
      Also hoping this doesn't go through anytime soon because I'm about 1/250 way saved up to purchase an AR
      FTFY
      Quote Originally Posted by Elbows View Post
      You should instead be praising the fact that life is so good, and safe that you can be afforded the luxury to be outraged by the death of one civilian, at the other end of the world. That's phenomenal.
      Quote Originally Posted by Jim Harbaugh
      Who's got it better then us?!? ...... Nooooo-body!!!

Vehicles
      '09 GTI
      12-20-2012 08:21 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by Elbows View Post
      I went to order a few magazines for my PPQ through Midway last night, and they wouldn't let me order 4...only 2. Not due to stock, but because they want to be "fair and reasonable" with their customers. I passed.

What nonsense. I wasn't even ordering because of the hype, I just wanted some magazines. Guess I'll wait.
      I don't see anything wrong with their limit. Everyone should have some. Gun owners are just fighting/hurting each other with this crazy buying splurge.
      -Triumph, the Insult Comic Dog

I saw this in a movie about a bus that had to speed around the city, keeping its speed over fifty, and if its speed dropped, the bus would explode! I think it was called, "The Bus That Couldn't Slow Down."

25. 12-20-2012 08:32 PM #25
      pelosi is trying to force threw a 10 cap mag ban tomorrow.

no word on whats even in the bill.

they know they've got to strike while the iron is hot, but they've got the fiscal cliff thing to deal with. the fiscal cliff couldn't have come at better timing.

they fail to solve that issue and they've got two years left, because we will face the largest tax increase in history.

time is on our side, as emotions die down and other things dominate the news so will support from the anti's.

they keep saying they want to have a conversation, if that were true, they would be also talking about allowing teachers to arm themselfs, or the addition of a student resource officer program. but there truly more interested in a lecture on how evil we are.

its going to take time to draft a bill that will even be seen on the house floor. the republicans have the house and that is our only hope. hopefully boehner will keep the balls he grew on the other night when he pretty much told the dems to shove it and accept their bill, then walked out of the room.

interesting times we live in... when the rights of the people can be placed in jeopardy by the acts of a few mad men.

if anything we'll see a 10rnd mag limit. hopefully sunsets will be in place.

Vehicles
      1996 GTI hoopty
      12-20-2012 09:12 PM #26
      This whole thing makes me sick. Especially since some of those idiots already admit that a new law won't make a difference. And that whore Pelosi trying to hide what's on her mind until a bill is shoved up our asses like she did the health care bill. "We'll know more what's in the bill when it's passed." Condescending bitch.

I'm predicting a reinstatement of the 94 ban, with round cap limits added. OTOH, I'm not sure if a Californicate-ya style of ban with higher caps would be preferable? Funny how CT has had their ban since 93 and they'll use that to trump up how ineffective it was, and new laws need to be tougher.

Seriously sucks, as I was saving for an AR, but now I'll almost have enough for a lower receiver. Dumb ****s panicking and running prices stupid crazy high. Stop it, you dumbasses!

Who'd have thought an SKS would be cutting edge.
      It seems the government is currently saying, "While we're conducting this unspecified, unwarranted surveillance, we're totally thinking about how to not violate the 4th Amendment that we're currently violating. Because terrorism."

Vehicles
      1996 GTI hoopty
      12-20-2012 10:00 PM #27
      It's also ironic that our government is willing to give firearms to criminal cartels in Mexico, but they won't trust their own law-abiding citizens with the same arms.
      It seems the government is currently saying, "While we're conducting this unspecified, unwarranted surveillance, we're totally thinking about how to not violate the 4th Amendment that we're currently violating. Because terrorism."

Vehicles
      a gas guzzler and a econobox
      12-20-2012 10:27 PM #28
      ^^^good question they still wanted to blame Americans....but they don't care about guns they give or sell to other countries ....
      indoctrinate through academia and media.
      why is that the ones that seek tolerance are the most intolerant.
      They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. -Benjamin Franklin

12-20-2012 10:28 PM #29
      I cannot wait till this **** storm blows over.

People who know nothing about guns wanting to ban them. Price gouging. *******s plopping down a credit card cleaning out stores of 30rd magazines (some guy bought 150!) all around this time of year... ya, 2012 is here.

30. 12-21-2012 01:32 AM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by dj age one View Post
      pelosi is trying to force threw a 10 cap mag ban tomorrow.

no word on whats even in the bill....................
      Oh come now. We have to pass the bill so you can see what's in it.
      That's just how she rolls.

Anyway, I'm happy with my Bushmaster ACR, and 1.2 doz. 30 rd. Pmags.

I did however stock up on 12ga. 00 & 000 and rifled slugs for my Mossy.
      That was about $85 at Walmart, and my dad is cranking out some #8 target loads for practice, and plinking. I got 450 rds. tonite.
      This post was monitored and approved by the NSA

Vehicles
      1996 GTI hoopty
      12-21-2012 05:22 AM #31
      I couldn't sleep, so spent some time trolling around last night. There's some serious panic buying going on. I also saw a reference on a gun forum about a handgun-like registration scheme for AR and AK style firearms. WTH...

Vehicles
      MkV GTI and V70 3.2
      12-21-2012 06:40 AM #32
      MidwayUSA is actually allowing backorders on AR mags. Gen2 Magpul 30rounders will be available in a few weeks.

I might backorder a few along with my Adams Arms piston upper.

33. Senior Member FlashRedGLS1.8T's Avatar
      12-21-2012 07:27 AM #33
      Politicians are politicians - it doesn't matter what side of the aisle they're on.
      You're right.

Vehicles
      12-21-2012 07:50 AM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by FlashRedGLS1.8T View Post
      You're right.
      I know you helped elect him in 2008, did you vote for him again?
      NEW 020 reverse gears

Vehicles
      MkV GTI and V70 3.2
      12-21-2012 07:59 AM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by Broke View Post
      I know you helped elect him in 2008, did you vote for him again?

Romney would have been just as bad. Look at his history in MA and statments about the AWB.

Page 1 of 27 1234511 ... LastLast