Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: drain drain drain!!!!!

1. Member
      Vehicles
      96 passat glx 5 speed
      01-01-2013 11:01 PM #1
      this car is pissing me off guys...i got a 96 jetta glx five speed...well bought it last year and needed some things....kids before me rebuilt the engine with abunch of goodies.....now it needd the harness cuz fans wouldnt run and certain things....sooo i did the engine harness, oil sensors,spark plugs,wires,battery,battery positive cable, and cleaned all grounds...also installed a new headlight harness and a new fuse panel,ecu,and main harness. charged battery also did an alternator and starter all new..cars running but idle likes to stick when hot and clutch is down. lately the car is giving me issues to start ..cranks really slow. and i personally dont think it will start in the morning..if the crank sensor is bad will it cause it to drain from the battery..everything is done right as i have been working on cars for 12 years now and i double checked everything via the fuse panel diagram.idk what else can it be?? cranks slow but still starts..also the gauge cluster is on its way out

2. Member
      Vehicles
      Blk 98 Jetta GLX
      01-01-2013 11:53 PM #2
      i highly highly doubt its the crank sensor draining your battery. Could be simple enough as a dead cell in your battery (even if it's new), or a bad starter even. try checking the pasasitic draw. I'm sure there's a how to on this somewhere but it's a huge pain from my mobile.

Make sure your throttlebody is thoroughly cleaned out as that is usually the culperate for poor idle. does it throw codes? CEL on?
      "VR no longer stands for VR6, it's now Velociraptor... which is pretty much how a VR6 sounds like."

3. 01-02-2013 01:04 AM #3
      as far as the idle, Try cleaning simple things like your MAF coil,plugs, ect things that you can do for free- also run some seafoam thru it just thru the brake booster do this 2x to make sure the O2 sensor gets cleaned.

as for the drain, go to advance auto or auto zone and have then check the battery. if thats good, try replacing the starter Could also be a fuel pump issue, FIRST THING change the fuel filter. My sisters Nissan has issues starting, bad seal on the back flow preventer on the fuel pump.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      96 passat glx 5 speed
      01-02-2013 01:17 AM #4
      new things are fuel filter,alternator,battery,plugs.wires,ball joints,tie rods,belt,tensioner,battery, and so fourth.... i believe the round under the battery tray might be stripped...the bolt...would that do it...also throttle body and all is good....if i disconnect the maf and the enine still runs and revs normal its bad right??

Vehicles
      nothing special
      01-02-2013 05:53 AM #5
      No, that's not right. When you unplug the MAF there should be a noticeable change. Like so noticeable that your car stalls.
      -Mike

6. Member
      Vehicles
      96 passat glx 5 speed
      01-02-2013 09:51 AM #6
      ok i will change that out....got another one.....also the car starts perfect in cold weather......acts funny when its warmed up.....

7. 01-02-2013 12:03 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by corrado1013 View Post
      No, that's not right. When you unplug the MAF there should be a noticeable change. Like so noticeable that your car stalls.
      I dont know if this is right or not, My TDI runs fine if i do that and the DIY for cleaning or trouble shooting a bad/ dirty MAF says to unplug it and go for a drive and if things improve then its a bad/ dirty MAF. If it gets worse then the MAF was fine. This DIY was not for TDI- All engines

Again- i do not think your issue is a dirty MAF

Do you have acsess to VCDS? Do you have a CEL?

Vehicles
      nothing special
      01-02-2013 12:31 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by loligagger View Post
      I dont know if this is right or not, My TDI runs fine if i do that and the DIY for cleaning or trouble shooting a bad/ dirty MAF says to unplug it and go for a drive and if things improve then its a bad/ dirty MAF. If it gets worse then the MAF was fine. This DIY was not for TDI- All engines
      Really, cause my car won't run without the MAF plugged in. Only if I leave my foot on the gas.

As far back as I can remember, that was the test for a bad MAF.
      -Mike