VWVortex.com - DSG DQ500 clutch for older dsg dq250
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: DSG DQ500 clutch for older dsg dq250

1. 01-10-2013 06:59 AM #1
      will the clutch pack from dq500 fit in dq250?

Vehicles
      91 Audi 80 2.0T
      01-12-2013 02:28 AM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by claudiumxg View Post
      which DQ250 and why would that matter since the material of the clutch in the DQ500 is the same?

Vehicles
      2012 VW CC R-line
      01-14-2013 01:02 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by Issam Abed View Post
      which DQ250 and why would that matter since the material of the clutch in the DQ500 is the same?
      How is the DQ500 improved over the DQ250 in order for it handle much more torque? Just because it has 7 gears, should not make a difference. Is it other internals?
      Last edited by Gradysmith; 01-14-2013 at 01:09 PM.
      APR K04 v3.1 | APR Carbonio Stage I & II CAI | APR downpipe | APR intercooler | APR DSG Stage II| 40% tint | VWR sport springs | Hotchkis 27mm RSB | Aquamist HFS-4

Vehicles
      2010 Nissan GTR
      04-13-2015 12:07 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by claudiumxg View Post
      The DQ500's clutch is not compatible with the DQ250. They utilize completely different clutch sizes and friction materials.

SSP
      SSP Performance, LLC
      World Leaders in Dual Clutch Transmission Components
      Kris Gagnon
      www.sspperformance.com
      kris@sspperformance.com

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 VW Jetta 2.5SE / 1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LS ExtCab 5.3L/4L60E
      05-26-2015 02:09 PM #5
      HOWEVER, it is possible to use the whole DSG500 instead of DQ250.

Vehicles
      2010 Nissan GTR
      05-28-2015 08:42 PM #6
      Yes it is possible. The trick is to get the computers to work correctly with each other.

SSP
      SSP Performance, LLC
      Kris Gagnon
      www.sspperformance.com
      kris@sspperformance.com

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 Golf R w/ Tech Package - Tornado Red
      08-31-2015 05:07 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by nick31 View Post
      HOWEVER, it is possible to use the whole DSG500 instead of DQ250.
      Yes, however, do we know if the mounting holes to the drive plate are similar between the two units? I'm beginning to flirt with the idea of swapping a sourced DQ500 into my Mk. 7 Golf R.

Quote Originally Posted by SSPKris View Post
      Yes it is possible. The trick is to get the computers to work correctly with each other.

SSP
      Kris, are there any similarities with the mounting up of a DQ250 and DQ500? Specifically, to a Mk. 7 Golf R?

In addition, are we talking a full packaged ECU and TCU tune from a reputable tuner or just some long coding with a VAG Com to get the two units (ECU Mk. 7 Golf R, TCU DQ500) to communicate?

Thanks!

8. Member
      Vehicles
      '02 TTQ (RIP); '06 3.2Q A3 (RIP); MKII TTS
      09-16-2015 04:02 PM #8
      Did you end up figuring this out? I'm thinking it would be a custom-tuning job, but it would be nice if it could be done without much fuss.

Quote Originally Posted by TecklenburgVW View Post
      Yes, however, do we know if the mounting holes to the drive plate are similar between the two units? I'm beginning to flirt with the idea of swapping a sourced DQ500 into my Mk. 7 Golf R.

Kris, are there any similarities with the mounting up of a DQ250 and DQ500? Specifically, to a Mk. 7 Golf R?

In addition, are we talking a full packaged ECU and TCU tune from a reputable tuner or just some long coding with a VAG Com to get the two units (ECU Mk. 7 Golf R, TCU DQ500) to communicate?

Thanks!
      Jeremy Brehm: Regina Wedding Photographer
      '02 Audi TT 225 Build Thread - 2.0L - PTE6262 Daily @ 30PSI - 10.0:1CR - AEB @ 9000RPM - Maestro - RIP
      '06 3.2Q A3 Build Thread
      MKII Audi TTS

9. Member
      Vehicles
      09-16-2015 05:31 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by jbrehm View Post
      Did you end up figuring this out? I'm thinking it would be a custom-tuning job, but it would be nice if it could be done without much fuss.
      Having difficulty with sourcing one, so this project is on indefinite hold until I can find pricing.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

10. Member
      Vehicles
      Snailed Vee
      09-29-2015 06:15 AM #10
      The DQ500 will fit on any transverse VAG engine but it needs to be cut and shut.
      I think ZLOS on here got Compsport to do it for him but it is mega bucks and lots of issues to overcome.
      I think HPA have done it recently also.
      Steve

Vehicles
      2010 Nissan GTR
      10-16-2015 11:34 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by sTT eV6 View Post
      The DQ500 will fit on any transverse VAG engine but it needs to be cut and shut.
      I think ZLOS on here got Compsport to do it for him but it is mega bucks and lots of issues to overcome.
      I think HPA have done it recently also.
      Steve
      Second this. The mounting points are very similar. I have the 250 and 500 side by side on the bench at the moment.
      Still the electronic issue is going to be the hurdle.

SSP
      SSP Performance, LLC
      Kris Gagnon
      www.sspperformance.com
      kris@sspperformance.com

Vehicles
      91 Audi 80 2.0T
      10-16-2015 05:59 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by sTT eV6 View Post
      DQ500 will bolt up to any 4 cylinder or new 5 cylinder motor directly
      Bell housing needs one of our adapter plates and it needs machining to bolt up to a VR6. Been done over 2 years ago. Got (2) MK1 Audi TT's , a MK4 Jetta and at least 8 MK4 / MK5 R32's running a kit.
      Posted it on my instagram at least 2 years ago.

The only other company before that was Martin@HGP in Germany. Very skilled individual and knows what DSG boxes can handle and what they can not handle.

DQ500 came in :
      - TTRS/RS3
      - Tiguan (Europe only)
      - Seat Alhmara
      and a few other vehicles

If you want to put a DQ500 in a MK7 GTI you need the Tiguan 2.0 TSI or RS3 8 hole flywheel
      If you want to put a DQ500 in a MK5 TFSI GTI or 2.5 Rabbit (for those who want to build a power plant for a MK1 TT or VW MK4 Jetta etc) - you need Tiguan 6 hole 2.0 TDI flywheel from a Tiguan that was equipped with a 7-speed DSG
      If you want to put a DQ500 in a MK4/MK5 R32 or any VR6 equipped vehicle you need a custom flywheel insert and either a 2.0 TDI or 2.0 TSI flywheel as a base for modifiying. You will need someone who has the ability to dismantle and reassemble/balance dual mass flywheels

Everyone that said the following:
      - needs clutches - wrong
      - need entire engine harness - wrong
      - need DSG standalone ecu - wrong
      - need DSG specific harness from RS3 - wrong

just more of the same passing around wrong information. DQ250 & DQ500 can take double there torque capacity without the need for clutches and other components. Simple DSG cooler & software and you are golden.
      My project is 2.5 Turbo in a MK4 Chassis w/ 7 speed DQ500 box.
      HTH

13. 10-17-2015 04:37 PM #13
      Bell housing needs one of our adapter plates and it needs machining to bolt up to a VR6. Been done over 2 years ago. Got (2) MK1 Audi TT's , a MK4 Jetta and at least 8 MK4 / MK5 R32's running a kit.

The only other company before that was Martin@HGP in Germany. Very skilled individual and knows what DSG boxes can handle and what they can not handle.

DQ500 came in :
      - TTRS/RS3
      - Tiguan (Europe only)
      - Seat Alhmara
      and a few other vehicles

If you want to put a DQ500 in a MK7 GTI you need the Tiguan 2.0 TSI or RS3 8 hole flywheel
      If you want to put a DQ500 in a MK5 TFSI GTI or 2.5 Rabbit (for those who want to build a power plant for a MK1 TT or VW MK4 Jetta etc) - you need Tiguan 6 hole 2.0 TDI flywheel from a Tiguan that was equipped with a 7-speed DSG
      If you want to put a DQ500 in a MK4/MK5 R32 or any VR6 equipped vehicle you need a custom flywheel insert and either a 2.0 TDI or 2.0 TSI flywheel as a base for modifiying. You will need someone who has the ability to dismantle and reassemble/balance dual mass flywheels

- needs clutches - wrong

just more of the same passing around wrong information. DQ250 & DQ500 can take double there torque capacity without the need for clutches and other components. Simple DSG cooler & software and you are golden.
      HTH

Thanks for your info.

I am putting 750nm in my VR6 fsi with the DQ250 and improved clutches.

this is the limit of my DQ250 if want to go further then I have to buy a DQ500

regards

14. Member
      Vehicles
      10-17-2015 11:15 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by SSPKris View Post
      Second this. The mounting points are very similar. I have the 250 and 500 side by side on the bench at the moment.
      Still the electronic issue is going to be the hurdle.

SSP
      Kris, thank you for contributing to this. Could you elaborate more on the electronic issues that may need to be addressed?

DQ500 came in :
      - TTRS/RS3
      - Tiguan (Europe only)
      - Seat Alhmara
      and a few other vehicles

- needs clutches - wrong

HTH
      Issam, forgive my ignorance but what company are you with? I'll look into HGP too.

Disregard, I just now saw your previous post's signature

Per the above information, since the MK7 GTI platform is similar, If I want to put a DQ500 in my MK7 Golf R I will need a Tiguan 2.0 TSI or RS3 8 hole flywheel? Do you have a part number I can reference?

One of my biggest issues right now is finding a DQ500 box. I've tried searching several different spots with no luck. Do you have any suggestions on how to source one? Thanks.

Vehicles
      91 Audi 80 2.0T
      10-18-2015 02:40 AM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by AXZ View Post

If I want to put a DQ500 in my MK7 Golf R I will need a Tiguan 2.0 TSI or RS3 8 hole flywheel? Do you have a part number I can reference?
      You might get the incorrect Tiguan part # (as I did) so I would go with the RS3 unit as it is a safer bet. OEM Part # for RS3 flywheel =07K105266C
      One of my biggest issues right now is finding a DQ500 box. I've tried searching several different spots with no luck. Do you have any suggestions on how to source one? Thanks.
      In North America? No DQ500 ever came here.
      The 3 codes I have are NZS , MYC & MYG. All of which are OBH family of gearboxes (0BH is DQ500) .
      NZS was the closest to the RS3 unit without costing 4000+ Euro's. Send over an email to discuss this further.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      Snailed Vee
      10-18-2015 05:50 AM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by AXZ View Post
      Thanks for your info.

regards
      There is an in between with a DQ350 that's is a drop in.
      Steve

17. 10-21-2015 11:55 AM #17

HTH
      How are you controlling the box Issam? Might be interested
      2002-2008 - 340bhp 1.8T AWD Corrado. Sold
      2008 - Exige S2. Sold
      2008 - 1.8T 350bhp fwd Corrado. Sold.
      2009 - R32 280bhp fwd Corrado. Sold
      2012 - S1 Elise/exige project.. Think rabbit 2.5 turbo in a 750kg car!

Vehicles
      91 Audi 80 2.0T
      10-22-2015 01:53 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by biggerbigben View Post
      How are you controlling the box Issam? Might be interested
      Majic Ben!
      Don't want to spoil any surprises just yet...
      When it is all said and done , we will be supplying full kits for those who want to swap a DSG box into any vehicle where you will need only a few inputs , a way to control pressure and away you go.
      I asked questions to countless "tuners" and "DSG experts" all around the globe and they kept fishing me Unicorns and rainbows and then having a laugh about it. Once you understand how the mechatronic works and the mechanical limits for the DQ250 or even DQ500 (mechanical as in oil pump volume , operating pressure etc) then the rest becomes pretty trivial. I will do the same thing for the community with DSG's that I did for DBW throttle bodies...

Vehicles
      bmp r32 and touareg
      10-27-2015 11:53 PM #19
      Majic Ben!
      When it is all said and done , we will be supplying full kits for those who want to swap a DSG box into any vehicle where you will need only a few inputs , a way to control pressure and away you go.
      I asked questions to countless "tuners" and "DSG experts" all around the globe and they kept fishing me Unicorns and rainbows and then having a laugh about it. Once you understand how the mechatronic works and the mechanical limits for the DQ250 or even DQ500 (mechanical as in oil pump volume , operating pressure etc) then the rest becomes pretty trivial. I will do the same thing for the community with DSG's that I did for DBW throttle bodies...
      In for info on dq500 in my mk5. looking to push past 27psi. Just trying to decide if its feasible, or more of a cost vs reward scenario. As with anything im assuming the simple fact a trans needs to be sourced for Europe means it wont be too cost affective within reason.
      WunderWagens June 10,2012 in Gilbert, PA... 2nd year http://www.wunderwagens-show.com
      UnitedMotorsport r32 cam flash... get one
      My Turbo .:R Build Thread
      WunderWagens Vortex Forum
      WunderWagens Facebook

20. Member
      Vehicles
      11-09-2015 10:55 AM #20
      Majic Ben!
      Looking forward to this kit.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      Audi S3 VR6T 3.0 12v
      01-26-2017 08:47 PM #21
      Majic Ben!

Any news on how to control dsg on a non-dsg vehicle?
      Please let me know

22. 03-18-2017 03:14 PM #22
      Majic Ben!
      Holy thread resurrection

This is aimed at Issam but anybody else is more than welcome to respond If they have any info...

Basically I've done the mechanical swap from DQ250 to DQ500 on a 2.0TFSI A3 with factory DQ250 (2005) and swapped can gateway to later 8P Rev C module, coded it and wired it in but it says on diagnostics that the gearbox is missing a signal - from memory the fault code is 10865 - U1121 databus signal missing

I'm not sure if this is just the interpretation of component protection or if it needs pairing to the engine for example and the wiring has been done with reference the DQ250 pinout and DQ500 - there are only 5 pins into the DQ500 from the looks of it but i'm going to have a play with a spare wire tomorrow - I've got a thread on ASN and will come up on google "dq250 swap DQ500" will be key words in google

Thanks
      Alex

P.S syvecs ECU will run DSG in manual car

23. Member
      Vehicles
      Snailed Vee
      03-20-2017 06:28 PM #23
      Hi,
      PM Zlos, maybe he can help.
      Steve

For advertising information click HERE