Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Installed ST Coilovers, Now I Hear a Clunking Sound. Anyone Familiar With This?

Vehicles
      2011 Jetta TDI 6-MT , 2000 Passat V6 4Motion
      01-17-2013 01:22 PM #1
      Right, so I installed ST coilovers about three weeks ago. I had the fronts spun all the way down, which was too low and caused me to rub going over bumps of any size. Last weekend I raised it up slightly over an inch up front to match the rears, and no more rubbing. However, all the while I've had an odd sound coming from the driver side front wheel. Initially, I attributed the sound to the car’s being too low, but now it is still there. When pulling into or backing out of a parking space there is a groaning sound that seems to be directly correlated with my acceleration or deceleration. Once I'm up to speed (over 10 mph) it seems to go away, but when I go over bumps at low speeds I can also hear what sounds like a clunking noise; like something somewhere is loose. I've researched the issue a bit and I'm thinking it might be coming from the strut mount. My plan is to take off the wheel and re-tighten everything this weekend and see if that helps. I also definitely need an alignment soon, and I'm wondering if that will affect anything about the noises. And I want my dealer to fix my squeaking seat. But I don't want to take my car to the dealer if those noises are there and have them wonder if I somehow caused the seat to squeak.

Has anyone had similar experiences with coilovers on the MKVI Jetta?

Any ideas what it could be?

Should I be concerned about taking my car to the dealer if this noise is still present?

Vehicles
      2011 tdi highline
      01-17-2013 01:36 PM #2
      have the same problem with st's. kind of got used to it. but I know there is a part here on forum that can fix this sound.

P.s. there u go, did a quick search
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...ing+suspension

maybe that's gonna help you
      Last edited by lambadas; 01-17-2013 at 01:40 PM.
      -----------------------------------------
      - vwvortex - 2011 jetta turbo diesel
      - instagram - @lambadas91
      - carlook.net - TurboDiesel
      -----------------------------------------

Vehicles
      01-17-2013 03:59 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by lambadas View Post
      have the same problem with st's. kind of got used to it. but I know there is a part here on forum that can fix this sound.

P.s. there u go, did a quick search
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...ing+suspension

maybe that's gonna help you
      The symptoms described there, and the sound from the video are more of a "squeak" than the clunk I'm experiencing. Someone in that thread mentions it and then someone says a clunk is more commonly associated with the subframe and not the strut mount. And they posted a link for some $207 bolts...

Vehicles
      2007 Civic Si, 2009 Routan, 2011 S4, 2012 GLI
      01-17-2013 09:39 PM #4
      I was on the same page as you.

Here is a link to the read I posted a couple months ago

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...ty-Clank-Noise

Hope this helps.

also check if the end links are hitting something

Vehicles
      01-17-2013 10:31 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by 2009RoutanSE View Post
      I was on the same page as you.

Here is a link to the read I posted a couple months ago

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...ty-Clank-Noise

Hope this helps.

also check if the end links are hitting something
      Did changing the strut mounts fix yours? Was it your end links?

Vehicles
      Audi S8 - Jetta TDI
      01-18-2013 01:10 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by ChefBlake View Post
      Did changing the strut mounts fix yours? Was it your end links?
      Would like to know if that worked also, having same clunking/squeaking sounds from ST coilovers as well. No weird sounds 1st couple of weeks but now it's pretty consistent.

Vehicles
      2007 Civic Si, 2009 Routan, 2011 S4, 2012 GLI
      01-18-2013 02:04 AM #7
      the stock endlinks for mine was not the problem.

also i replaced both the strut mounts as well as the bearings and the noise was still there.

examined it more carefully and it was the coilover itself having the problem. there was a problem with the strut rod.

after literally a month of researching MK6 Golfs/GTIs/Jettas/GLI forums I have found there different people had clunking noises from different parts and mine was obviously something that isnt common. the clunking is really annoying though.

you guys should just start from the beginning though such as double checking if everything is retightened to the TORQUE Specs too.

and also try examining the area if you see any places where the play might happen.

also try REPRODUCING the sound by bouncing you car (dont press down on your fender or you will dent it, bounce it somewhere else) and when you hear the sound try and find where it is leading to.

Vehicles
      2012 VW Jetta SE with Convienence and Sunroof
      01-18-2013 02:12 AM #8
      Weirdly enough I had something similar everyone I hit a bump. Check your fender lining. For me, once I lowered it (four threads away from bottoming out) the fender lining was rubbing against the sway bar. If that's the case, unscrew some of the fender lining screws, slide the it around a bit so it's not rubbing and re tighten the screws to hold in place. Problem is now resolved (for me anyhow).
      2012 Jetta SE with Conv. and Sunroof
      Instagram: Carlito821

Vehicles
      01-18-2013 01:33 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by 2009RoutanSE View Post
      the stock endlinks for mine was not the problem.

also i replaced both the strut mounts as well as the bearings and the noise was still there.

examined it more carefully and it was the coilover itself having the problem. there was a problem with the strut rod.

after literally a month of researching MK6 Golfs/GTIs/Jettas/GLI forums I have found there different people had clunking noises from different parts and mine was obviously something that isnt common. the clunking is really annoying though.

you guys should just start from the beginning though such as double checking if everything is retightened to the TORQUE Specs too.

and also try examining the area if you see any places where the play might happen.

also try REPRODUCING the sound by bouncing you car (dont press down on your fender or you will dent it, bounce it somewhere else) and when you hear the sound try and find where it is leading to.
      What was it about your strut rod that was bad and how did you discover it?

Vehicles
      01-20-2013 01:41 PM #10
      My buddy and I pressed down on the car repeatedly and we couldn't replicate the sound. It only seems to happen when the car is moving.

Vehicles
      Audi S8 - Jetta TDI
      01-21-2013 03:38 AM #11
      fixed a couple of issues today starting with squeaking noise. mounted new high density rubber strut mounts and squeaking sound is gone!

Also had this happen last few days:

discovered that passenger side speed sensor wires had popped off and dangled freely rubbing the tire which cut it in half. soldered the wires together and retaped. Good as new, no more error messages!

retightened everything and clunking sounds are a bit less in intensity, but still there!

Vehicles
      01-21-2013 02:09 PM #12
      It looked like the noise may have been an end link or a dust boot hitting the plastic wheel well lining. I took out the lining and cut openings so these areas could move freely.

Before:

After:

It seems to have helped, but there's still a sound I can here at low speeds

Vehicles
      Audi S8 - Jetta TDI
      01-21-2013 02:15 PM #13
      Thanks, I should have did that with car apart yesterday! Will have to give that a try next...

Vehicles
      97 VW Golf 2.0
      01-21-2013 02:50 PM #14
      why not just stop running these coils? STs sucks...
      Quote Originally Posted by MikeMeachum View Post
      Will there be a Jetta/ GLI VII thread? I got one.

Vehicles
      01-21-2013 05:23 PM #15
      I just emailed ST to see if they're aware of any known causes, or if they're aware that this fairly common.

Vehicles
      01-21-2013 05:31 PM #16
      Also, after I put the wheel back on, I noticed there was some lateral movement. I could move the wheel from side to side by a few millimeters. I recorded the sound. Should that movement be there?

Vehicles
      01-21-2013 11:31 PM #17
      It looked like the noise may have been an end link or a dust boot hitting the plastic wheel well lining. I took out the lining and cut openings so these areas could move freely.

Before:

After:

It seems to have helped, but there's still a sound I can here at low speeds
      That's what happened to me.

Vehicles
      01-21-2013 11:37 PM #18
      Also, after I put the wheel back on, I noticed there was some lateral movement. I could move the wheel from side to side by a few millimeters. I recorded the sound. Should that movement be there?

Did strut fall all the way down before you bolted? Sounds like the strut isn't closed tight.

Vehicles
      01-22-2013 11:38 AM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by CJetta821 View Post
      Did strut fall all the way down before you bolted? Sounds like the strut isn't closed tight.
      I think so. The spindle was a monster PITA to get the stock strut out and the new one in. Do you mean it sounds like the 11 point socket bolt on the spindle might not be tight all the way?

Vehicles
      01-22-2013 12:46 PM #20
      I think so. The spindle was a monster PITA to get the stock strut out and the new one in. Do you mean it sounds like the 11 point socket bolt on the spindle might not be tight all the way?
      Yeah I definitely agree with that. It was a definite PITA, ESPECIALLY the drivers side. But yeah, the bolt might be not tight enough, to "clamp" it shut. I remember that noise when I had to literally drive around the neighborhood to have the strut drop in, because I couldn't for the life of me get it down. Once I heard the big "clunk" it fell all the way down so I could bolt it.

Vehicles
      K04 GLI
      03-15-2013 12:17 PM #21
      I am also getting a clunking sound with these coilovers. The only time i ever get it though is when going really slow and normally into or out of a parking spot and uneven terrain makes it worse. I never get any noise going over bumps.

after some reasearch i was so sure it was the subframe but it seems like that really isnt an issue with these cars like it was for the mk5. however i got under the car and I noticed that two of the bolts on the subframe are not centered(as if the subframe shifted maybe) and the paint chipped on the subframe in that spot and has started to rust.

I was also confident that it was not the strut mounts because of the sound it produces, its not like anyone describes.

Has anyone had or known of a mk6 jetta subframe shiffting?
      Last edited by citylimitsFTW; 03-15-2013 at 12:20 PM.

Vehicles
      03-15-2013 06:20 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by citylimitsFTW View Post
      I am also getting a clunking sound with these coilovers. The only time i ever get it though is when going really slow and normally into or out of a parking spot and uneven terrain makes it worse. I never get any noise going over bumps.

after some reasearch i was so sure it was the subframe but it seems like that really isnt an issue with these cars like it was for the mk5. however i got under the car and I noticed that two of the bolts on the subframe are not centered(as if the subframe shifted maybe) and the paint chipped on the subframe in that spot and has started to rust.

I was also confident that it was not the strut mounts because of the sound it produces, its not like anyone describes.

Has anyone had or known of a mk6 jetta subframe shiffting?
      That's the issue I'm still having. I had a loose bolt that was connecting the control arm to the subframe and that fixed part of the original noise. What remains is only noticeable when I'm going at very slow speeds, usually while or soon after parking. When I had it aligned two weeks ago at the dealership, I told the VW tech to listen and see what he thought it was. He said he was 90% sure it was the spring "binding." Like you, I'm fairly certain it isn't the strut mount, because I don't hear the sound associated with a bad mount.

Vehicles
      K04 GLI
      03-15-2013 08:35 PM #23
      That's the issue I'm still having. I had a loose bolt that was connecting the control arm to the subframe and that fixed part of the original noise. What remains is only noticeable when I'm going at very slow speeds, usually while or soon after parking. When I had it aligned two weeks ago at the dealership, I told the VW tech to listen and see what he thought it was. He said he was 90% sure it was the spring "binding." Like you, I'm fairly certain it isn't the strut mount, because I don't hear the sound associated with a bad mount.
      Have you been under the car to look for signs of the subframe shifting?

When i hear "binding" i feel like that would be the sound of the spring jumping when turning the wheel at a stand still.

Vehicles
      K04 GLI
      03-18-2013 05:38 PM #24
      well I can safely rule out the subframe for the cause of this noise. I sent some emails back and forth with the tyrol sports guys and they dont think its the subframe. Ill have it on a lift tomorrow but im not sure where to look now

25. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2008 Evo X/ 2001 BMW M3/ 2012 VW GLI
      05-16-2015 01:45 AM #25
      Anyone find any remedies to the "cluncking/binding" sound? I'm running ST's basically maxed out, and I'm getting a weird sound when turning at slow speeds(parking mostly). Sound like the spring moving or popping. I spent my whole day trying to figure it out and couldn't find a remedy.

Already have 034 mounts and bearings.
      Last edited by mvelarde23; 05-18-2015 at 02:44 AM.

Vehicles
      K04 GLI
      05-17-2015 03:19 AM #26
      Pm'd you before I saw this so disregard about the mounts. Have you messed around with the sway bars at all?

Vehicles
      Current: 2012 Jetta SEL. Previous: 2006 GLI and 2008 Jetta 2.5
      05-17-2015 10:42 AM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by mvelarde23 View Post
      Anyone find any remedies to the "cluncking/binding" sound? I'm running ST's basically maxed out, and I'm getting a weird sound when turning at slow speeds(parking mostly). Sound like the spring moving... But I spent my whole day trying to figure it out and couldn't find a remedy.

Already have 034 mounts and bearings.
      I have solo werks and I notice a small clunking noise coming from my passenger rear and I'm also thinking it's the spring and not the struts or anything which makes me wonder if the spring is shorter for some odd reason.
      Instagram: PVieira21
      2012 Static SEL

28. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Jetta mk6 TDI
      05-18-2015 10:45 AM #28
      im having the same problem anyone have a solution yet? VW said that the strut might be the problem and was going to replace it for me.
      IG: @curranpaffel
      Build thread: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...uot-build-quot
      Malone stage 2 with DSG tune. VMR V710, ST coils, Buzzken downpipe with a Cat