Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Links back to The Car Lounge (opens in same window)
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Results 1 to 35 of 49

    Thread: Farewell to my first car. Help me pick my 2nd.

    1. Member johnnyOcho's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 24th, 2009
      Location
      Raleigh NC
      Posts
      145
      Vehicles
      1994 Celica, 2003 Acura CL Type S 6speed
      01-22-2013 05:42 PM #1
      Last week I may have put the final nail in the coffin for my 1994 Toyota Celica. Some black ice on a blind corner coupled with some tires that I should not have been running resulted in me taking out some PVC fencing and possibly totaling my first car. I've never had a car payment and my budget is between $4000 and $7500. I would like something fun, preferably rwd and manual but it doesn't have to be. Keep in mind it will be my daily driver and while I loved to work on my Celica, I don't want anything that I'm going to have to pull the motor to do sparkplugs. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks.
      They all start out as Daily Drivers

    2. Member AHFlynn's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 6th, 2008
      Location
      UConn Country
      Posts
      3,659
      01-22-2013 05:46 PM #2
      youre a perfect candidate for



      i vote e30
      Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
      Nah, understeering into a tree in a Honda like a teenage girl ruins your street cred. I'd leave the door to show how hard you are.

    3. Member Grip Driver's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 16th, 1999
      Location
      Bloomingdale, IL
      Posts
      13,410
      Vehicles
      12 Golf TDI, 10 Sportwagen TDI, 90 Miata S/C
      01-22-2013 05:46 PM #3
      rwd = yup
      manual = yup
      easy to work on = yup
      can be had in your price range = yup

      Cheers,
      Conrad

    4. Member Broduski's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 18th, 2008
      Location
      Central NC
      Posts
      4,332
      Vehicles
      My driveway looks like a shady used car lot
      01-22-2013 08:42 PM #4
      77 F100, 83 244, 92 Integra

    5. Member
      Join Date
      Apr 30th, 2008
      Location
      regina, saskatchewan.
      Posts
      114
      Vehicles
      2009 audi a3 quattro
      01-22-2013 09:06 PM #5
      E36/E46 BMW. You know you want to.


      No bias, I swear.

    6. Member johnnyOcho's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 24th, 2009
      Location
      Raleigh NC
      Posts
      145
      Vehicles
      1994 Celica, 2003 Acura CL Type S 6speed
      01-24-2013 03:15 PM #6
      All viable options. I was prepared for for the e30, miata, 4.0L jeep rain. I have also been considering Saab 9-3's, 2nd gen WRX's(sedan or hatch) as well as w20's(MR2). I'm planning on scouring the local CarMax's etc to see if I can get in some of my top picks to drive before I bite the bullet. Does anyone know of any major issues with 9'-3's or the WRX's? Remember I do like to work on my vehicles but don't want to spend more time under the hood than in the driver's seat. This will be my daily driver so I want to be able to do tune-ups and servicing myself with little difficulty. Common sense tells me to stay away from modded wrx's and Mr2's if possible but I don't see that being an issue with the 9-3. Anyone have any bad experiences out of any of these platforms? Again all of your feedback is appreciated.
      They all start out as Daily Drivers

    7. Member
      Join Date
      Sep 7th, 2009
      Location
      Slatington, PA
      Posts
      3,301
      Vehicles
      1996 BMW 328i
      01-24-2013 03:24 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by johnnyOcho View Post
      All viable options. I was prepared for for the e30, miata, 4.0L jeep rain. I have also been considering Saab 9-3's, 2nd gen WRX's(sedan or hatch) as well as w20's(MR2). I'm planning on scouring the local CarMax's etc to see if I can get in some of my top picks to drive before I bite the bullet. Does anyone know of any major issues with 9'-3's or the WRX's? Remember I do like to work on my vehicles but don't want to spend more time under the hood than in the driver's seat. This will be my daily driver so I want to be able to do tune-ups and servicing myself with little difficulty. Common sense tells me to stay away from modded wrx's and Mr2's if possible but I don't see that being an issue with the 9-3. Anyone have any bad experiences out of any of these platforms? Again all of your feedback is appreciated.
      Don't get an e30. If you want a BMW get an e36 instead. It's a much better daily car. I really like mine but have decided that if I get into an accident I would most likely go for a SAAB 9-3, but that's more because I would just want something different.

    8. Member redshift's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 22nd, 2002
      Location
      Just east of Section 8
      Posts
      10,781
      Vehicles
      '07 MX-5, '08 MX-5 (for sale), '03 Silverado, '14 WRX Wagon
      01-24-2013 04:37 PM #8
      You're not going to find any 2nd gen WRX's anywhere near your price range. We paid $9,000 for our 2002 wagon last summer and that was about middle of the road for non-ufcked-up ones around here at the time.

      We were also looking at 9-3's and there were a few early 2000's cars in your price range, but I just couldn't pull the trigger on a $4,000 Saab.
      Bentley Continental with the mink floors, dummy

    9. Member B3passatBMX's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 26th, 2004
      Location
      Columbus, OH
      Posts
      10,295
      Vehicles
      93 525iT, 91 318iS
      01-24-2013 04:59 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by r_fostoria View Post
      Don't get an e30. If you want a BMW get an e36 instead. It's a much better daily car. I really like mine but have decided that if I get into an accident I would most likely go for a SAAB 9-3, but that's more because I would just want something different.
      It's true. Or get a nice clean E34 5 series. Has alot of the same character of an E30 but in a bigger more comfortable size. I have both . Although you can pick up a very clean E30 in that price range.
      Quote Originally Posted by Rutledge View Post
      Well, then, I'm here to "ruin" the vortex for you. I'm sorry you hate fun.
      02 SVT Focus: Jackson Racing supercharged (SOLD )
      91 318is
      93 525iT

    10. Member sandiegan's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 25th, 2005
      Location
      LA Section 8 Housing
      Posts
      4,530
      Vehicles
      GOAT. Bicycle.
      01-24-2013 05:26 PM #10

    11. Member The Dubsta's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 20th, 2003
      Location
      Thornton, CO
      Posts
      2,086
      Vehicles
      13 Accord sport 6mt
      01-24-2013 05:30 PM #11
      ls1 mazda b2200 in charlotte.
      http://winstonsalem.craigslist.org/cto/3515000951.html

      Seriously I want this!

    12. Member The Dubsta's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 20th, 2003
      Location
      Thornton, CO
      Posts
      2,086
      Vehicles
      13 Accord sport 6mt
      01-24-2013 05:32 PM #12
      Wow that seems like a good price! As long as you can verify maintenance records and that is not beat to chit! That would be a great pick up!

    13. Member DubNMiatafan's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 13th, 2009
      Location
      Chicago, IL
      Posts
      2,759
      Vehicles
      1994 Corolla, 1990 Miata
      01-24-2013 06:04 PM #13
      The answer to your question is Miata.

      Get one with a hardtop if you don't like convertibles.
      ♪ Let's just drive, I wanna see what the wind does to your hair ♪

    14. Member johnnyOcho's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 24th, 2009
      Location
      Raleigh NC
      Posts
      145
      Vehicles
      1994 Celica, 2003 Acura CL Type S 6speed
      01-31-2013 11:12 PM #14

      I found one of these not too far from home within my price range. It is an 03 3.0Lv6 and the 6-speed. It has 160k miles on it. Does anyone know of any reliability issues with these?


      I also found a 2003 Acura CL Type-S with a 6-speed within my price range. It has 180kmiles on it but seems to be very well maintained by the owner and serviced recently. Again any know problems or bad experiences with these? I know I said I wanted something RWD but I am looking at these two closely. Just based on looks I'm leaning more towards the Acura but I'm hoping to look at both in person this weekend. As always any feedback is greatly appreciated.

      They all start out as Daily Drivers

    15. Member jakellama123's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 11th, 2009
      Location
      north phoenix
      Posts
      1,480
      Vehicles
      2007 NFR S2000, 2000 540i, 1965 Mustang, 2013 Civic
      01-31-2013 11:18 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by r_fostoria View Post
      Don't get an e30. If you want a BMW get an e36 instead. It's a much better daily car. I really like mine but have decided that if I get into an accident I would most likely go for a SAAB 9-3, but that's more because I would just want something different.
      true
      e36's are easier to find, cheaper to find a decent example and a better daily
      Just has to have m3 bits. Especially the front bumper lol

    16. Member volvohutter's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 23rd, 2012
      Location
      Calgary, AB
      Posts
      436
      Vehicles
      2011 C30 R-Design, 1992 Saab 900T Convertible
      01-31-2013 11:18 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by johnnyOcho View Post
      All viable options. I was prepared for for the e30, miata, 4.0L jeep rain. I have also been considering Saab 9-3's, 2nd gen WRX's(sedan or hatch) as well as w20's(MR2). I'm planning on scouring the local CarMax's etc to see if I can get in some of my top picks to drive before I bite the bullet. Does anyone know of any major issues with 9'-3's or the WRX's? Remember I do like to work on my vehicles but don't want to spend more time under the hood than in the driver's seat. This will be my daily driver so I want to be able to do tune-ups and servicing myself with little difficulty. Common sense tells me to stay away from modded wrx's and Mr2's if possible but I don't see that being an issue with the 9-3. Anyone have any bad experiences out of any of these platforms? Again all of your feedback is appreciated.
      I'd run from any early 2000s 9-3. If you must, I'd recommend a 1999 or a 2005+.

      Reasons: 1999 9-3 was T5, very, very solid. 2000, 2001, and 2002 had the T7 management system, lots of oil sludge issues. There was a PCV update that fixed it but you'll have to drop the pan to make sure that you don't have any issues. 2003 and 2004 were the first years of the 9-3 sport sedan and were notoriously unreliable, especially base models. You should be able to pick up a 2005 Aero or 2006 2.0T for decent money.
      2011 Volvo C30 R-Design, 1992 Saab 900 Turbo Convertible.

    17. Member compy222's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 7th, 2005
      Location
      Pothole, MI
      Posts
      14,082
      Vehicles
      2003 Miata SE
      01-31-2013 11:30 PM #17
      6k for a Miata gets you a really nice car.
      Regarding DD'ing a tuned Evo:
      Quote Originally Posted by SchrickVR6 View Post
      It's composed at all speeds and at all times...it just feels like you're holding the leash on a 150lb pit bull and praying you don't see a squirrel.

    18. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 16th, 2005
      Location
      Tennessee
      Posts
      62,920
      Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      01-31-2013 11:39 PM #18
      You didn't mention fuel economy... so how about a Mustang?

      $7500 will buy a solid 1999-04 Mustang GT, or even a 2005 V6.
      |˙˙ʇǝuɹǝʇuı ǝɥʇ uo ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ɯopuɐɹ pɐǝɹ noʎ :ǝɯıʇ ǝǝɹɟ ɥɔnɯ ooʇ ʎɐʍ ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ןןǝʇ oʇ ʍoɥ˙˙˙|http://hotlinktest.com/

    19. 02-01-2013 12:10 AM #19
      unfortunately, most cars won't be as easy to just fix as compared to your '90's car

      but if anything , another toyota might have similar engine features and characteristics

    20. Senior Member Son's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 10th, 2000
      Location
      Finland, The EU
      Posts
      28,341
      Vehicles
      '09 VW Golf VI 1.4 TSI, '09 Cannondale Six 105, '13 Trek Fuel EX 9.8
      02-01-2013 03:28 AM #20
      "Clownshoe - That doesn't fit my needs - Your needs just changed!"
      Previously known as Son of a B...5er!

    21. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 16th, 2005
      Location
      Tennessee
      Posts
      62,920
      Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      02-01-2013 08:47 AM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by deagle View Post
      unfortunately, most cars won't be as easy to just fix as compared to your '90's car

      but if anything , another toyota might have similar engine features and characteristics
      I was spoiled by the first car I learned do wrench ona, a 1984 celiac gts.
      it made me think all vehicles were made to be taken apart easily, fixed, and put back together.
      wrong.

      unfortunately the op's celica was just a few years shy of when toyota started serious cost cutting.
      anything significantly newer is not made that way.



      on a modern vehicle- information becomes valuable as issue diagnosis, part sourcing and repair information are harder to come by on less popular models.
      being able to find out what to do and how to do it means more than a few extra inches in the engine compartment.

      miata.. mustang if you like them.
      |˙˙ʇǝuɹǝʇuı ǝɥʇ uo ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ɯopuɐɹ pɐǝɹ noʎ :ǝɯıʇ ǝǝɹɟ ɥɔnɯ ooʇ ʎɐʍ ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ןןǝʇ oʇ ʍoɥ˙˙˙|http://hotlinktest.com/

    22. Member The Dubsta's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 20th, 2003
      Location
      Thornton, CO
      Posts
      2,086
      Vehicles
      13 Accord sport 6mt
      02-01-2013 09:54 AM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by johnnyOcho View Post

      I found one of these not too far from home within my price range. It is an 03 3.0Lv6 and the 6-speed. It has 160k miles on it. Does anyone know of any reliability issues with these?


      I also found a 2003 Acura CL Type-S with a 6-speed within my price range. It has 180kmiles on it but seems to be very well maintained by the owner and serviced recently. Again any know problems or bad experiences with these? I know I said I wanted something RWD but I am looking at these two closely. Just based on looks I'm leaning more towards the Acura but I'm hoping to look at both in person this weekend. As always any feedback is greatly appreciated.

      I had an 03 accord v6/auto coupe. Great car but not a real blast to drive! Probably could change a great deal with the manual trans and some better suspension/tires. The j30 engine is a really great!

      I have no experience on the CL so I won't comment. Make sure whatever you buy is something that you enjoy driving!

    23. Member johnny_p's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 7th, 2007
      Location
      Philly
      Posts
      963
      Vehicles
      2010 GTI
      02-01-2013 10:08 AM #23
      In addition to the Miata and BMW E36, I'd check out the SVT Focus and Honda Prelude SH.

      Although SVT Foci are probably getting rather rare about now.
      '12 Trek X-caliber // '11 Cervélo R3 // '90 Havnoonian custom
      2010 VW GTI

    24. 02-01-2013 10:12 AM #24
      Early Wrx will have issues. My 02 wagon was dealer documented right up to 100k when I got it. One owner and maintained at the dealer where purchased since day one. 100% stock. Carfax listed every single oil change and all maintenance (timing belt, clutch, etc) A very good example bought for about 6k.

      In my hands it still required a radiator (end tanks split) A/C tensioner pulley, front axles, had fuel leak when cold, engine/trans alignment issue which requires running alternate tire pressures front to rear. And fast growing rust. All this in the spam of about 8 months.

      Liked it, but grew tired of working on my DD and got a new 2011.

      My vote is Porsche 944. You can into a turbo at the high end of your range.

    25. Member The Dubsta's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 20th, 2003
      Location
      Thornton, CO
      Posts
      2,086
      Vehicles
      13 Accord sport 6mt
      02-01-2013 11:20 AM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by 87944turbo View Post
      Early Wrx will have issues. My 02 wagon was dealer documented right up to 100k when I got it. One owner and maintained at the dealer where purchased since day one. 100% stock. Carfax listed every single oil change and all maintenance (timing belt, clutch, etc) A very good example bought for about 6k.

      In my hands it still required a radiator (end tanks split) A/C tensioner pulley, front axles, had fuel leak when cold, engine/trans alignment issue which requires running alternate tire pressures front to rear. And fast growing rust. All this in the spam of about 8 months.

      Liked it, but grew tired of working on my DD and got a new 2011.

      My vote is Porsche 944. You can into a turbo at the high end of your range.
      complains about subaru reliability recommends porsche 944? lol wut?

    26. Member The Dubsta's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 20th, 2003
      Location
      Thornton, CO
      Posts
      2,086
      Vehicles
      13 Accord sport 6mt
      02-01-2013 11:24 AM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by johnny_p View Post
      In addition to the Miata and BMW E36, I'd check out the SVT Focus and Honda Prelude SH.

      Although SVT Foci are probably getting rather rare about now.
      Yes OP go test drive a svt focus! Great vehicles to drive! I had an 03 svt focus with eap (european appareance package - hids, heated recaros, better wheels, etc).


    27. Member B3passatBMX's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 26th, 2004
      Location
      Columbus, OH
      Posts
      10,295
      Vehicles
      93 525iT, 91 318iS
      02-01-2013 11:27 AM #27
      Ohh SVT Focus, another great car. I had one for 7 years. Was supercharged for 5.5 of them. Sold it with 154k on it and it still ran flawlessly. Granted I took excellent care of it, but I sold it for well within your price range. It was my daily for 6 years and only left me stranded once and was quite cheap to maintain. Great cars
      Quote Originally Posted by Rutledge View Post
      Well, then, I'm here to "ruin" the vortex for you. I'm sorry you hate fun.
      02 SVT Focus: Jackson Racing supercharged (SOLD )
      91 318is
      93 525iT

    28. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 9th, 2010
      Location
      West Michigan
      Posts
      403
      Vehicles
      04 Jetta GLS 1.8T, 97 Jetta GT 2.0
      02-01-2013 12:31 PM #28
      I would say a WRX, but I keep hearing bad things about them. And my buddy's '02 just blew up!

      How bout a nice Mark 4 with a VR6 or a 1.8T?
      *puts on flame suit*

    29. Member rynodyno312's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 20th, 2012
      Location
      Orange County, CA
      Posts
      3,264
      Vehicles
      2013 Civic SI, 2011 EX35
      02-01-2013 12:34 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by bob570 View Post
      How bout a nice Mark 4 with a VR6 or a 1.8T?
      *puts on flame suit*
      Or he could put $5k into a blender. Same result.

      Of everything posted so far I think the 6-speed CL-S is probably the best all-arounder. It will pick up 20whp with a set of headers, has a LSD, and should be extremely reliable. They are also rare with a 6-speed so it should be easy to sell later on if you must have RWD.

    30. Member The Dubsta's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 20th, 2003
      Location
      Thornton, CO
      Posts
      2,086
      Vehicles
      13 Accord sport 6mt
      02-01-2013 01:05 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by rynodyno312 View Post
      Or he could put $5k into a blender. Same result.

      Of everything posted so far I think the 6-speed CL-S is probably the best all-arounder. It will pick up 20whp with a set of headers, has a LSD, and should be extremely reliable. They are also rare with a 6-speed so it should be easy to sell later on if you must have RWD.
      agreed!

    31. Member ryanpend's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 20th, 2008
      Location
      BC
      Posts
      442
      Vehicles
      89' 951
      02-01-2013 03:03 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by The Dubsta View Post
      complains about subaru reliability recommends porsche 944? lol wut?
      my 951 has been rock solid.
      though you'd need to spend double OP's top line to get into a well sorted turbo.. you could find a really nice late NA car for that price. I wouldn't completely disregard the notion...

    32. 02-01-2013 10:28 PM #32
      ^ word. Drive my 951 up to 5 hours one way to the track, beat on it for a day and drive home with no worries.

      Or something like this for 6k. http://www.indianaimpreza.com/showthread.php?t=25372

      Last edited by 87944turbo; 02-01-2013 at 10:42 PM.

    33. 02-02-2013 04:30 AM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by The Dubsta View Post
      Wow that seems like a good price! As long as you can verify maintenance records and that is not beat to chit! That would be a great pick up!
      When a guy is selling that cheap you don't check for maintenance records, only thing i'd do is check the panels for serious prior accident damage

    34. 02-02-2013 05:06 AM #34
      G35 Coupe/Sedan?

      It's not likely you'd find anything low mileage in that range though.

    35. Member
      Join Date
      Jun 14th, 2007
      Posts
      11,881
      Vehicles
      E36, R32
      02-02-2013 05:48 AM #35
      E36 328i.

      add M3 cams, M50 intake manifold, chip, and LSD, and you have a great daily driver that's a riot to drive in all conditions.

      source: i daily drive an E36 with similar mods, and i only paid $3k. 208,500 miles and it still pulls hard all the way to 7,000rpm with no leaks or smoke.

      welcome to the layer cake

    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •