Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 00 Jetta glx VR6 rough idle, sluggish

1. 01-27-2013 11:32 PM #1
      I'm looking for some info on what could possibly be wrong with my car. Car idles roughly and at times accelerates very slowly and feels sluggish. My check engine light comes on and a few minutes later starts to blink. I took it to the bodyshop and they told me to start with the cheapest fixes. My boyfriend replaced the air filter, fuel filter, sparkplugs, plug wires, both 02 sensors, ran some seafoam through it and fuel injector cleaner. It defenately helped "tune it up" but it still runs like crap! I went Back to O'reilly's and ran the codes, this is what it showed:

P300- RANDOM MISFIRE
      P301- CYLINDER 1 MISFIRE
      P302- CYLINDER 2 MISFIRE
      P303- CYLINDER 3 MISFIRE
      P304- CYLINDER 4 MISFIRE
      P305- CYLINDER 5 MISFIRE
      P306- CYLINDER 6 MISFIRE
      P0140- 02 CIRCUIT # ACTIVITY DETECTED BANK 1, SENSOR 2

UPDATE: We were seeing a lot of threads saying that it could possibly be the coil pack and others saying they replaced theirs and it did nothing. We pulled out the coil pack and we found 2 small cracks on the plastic part. I tried to upload photos from my desktop but I couldn't figure it out. Should we replace the coil pack since we found cracks in it? We didn't notice any arching.
      Last edited by Rg012188; 01-28-2013 at 12:36 AM. Reason: adding more info/pictures

Vehicles
      01 jetta glx vr6 & 08 mazda 6i
      01-28-2013 01:17 AM #2
      yes you need a new coilpack, or jb weld the old one. my 01 vr6 also went thru this and i changed out the coilpack(oem 1)and it solved my issue

3. 01-28-2013 01:43 AM #3
      Thanks! Going to pick up some JB-Weld tomorrow and aslo clean out the mass airflow sensor...hopefully that does the job!

Vehicles
      01 jetta glx vr6 & 08 mazda 6i
      01-28-2013 09:57 AM #4
      anytime also just do the rubbing alcohol(93%)in a ziplock baggie trick for the MAF and gl

5. 02-15-2013 11:04 AM #5
      So we have replaced the coil box and cleaned the MAF sensor and after about 2-3 weeks the light is back on. I ran it at o'reillys and it's coming up with all the cylinder misfires 1-6 and two o2 sensor codes.
      P0300- random misfire
      Cylinders 1-5 misfires
      P1198- o2s heater circuit bank 1 sensor 2 electrical malfunction
      P0140- o2 circuit no activity detected bank 1 sensor 2

I don't understand why I have o2 sensor codes when I just replaced them about a month ago. What could it be?

Vehicles
      00' VR6T 12' V6 TDI 72' 914-6
      02-15-2013 11:18 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by sommersprossen View Post
      anytime also just do the rubbing alcohol(93%)in a ziplock baggie trick for the MAF and gl
      please DO NOT do this.

if the MAF is so contaminated that it's seriously dirty, the damage has been done and no amount of "cleaning" it will fix it.

leave it alone, resolve the current issue with the coilpack and go from there.

if you REALLY want to see what's going on with the MAF, in the FAQ's is a DIY on using measuring blocks to see if the MAF is in spec. If it is, great, if it's not, replace it. don't clean it as this can acutally cause more damage than good.
      Larry

Demokratikally Elekted Minister of Shekels of the Independent People's Republik of Offtopikstan

7. 02-15-2013 11:25 AM #7
      Thanks LSinLV. We purchased MAF cleaner and taped off the connectors, wasn't that dirty. We did take care of the issue with the coil pack but that wasn't it. I've been doing some reading and thinking the issue with my car could be the temp sensor or catalytic converter. Any ideas?

Vehicles
      00' VR6T 12' V6 TDI 72' 914-6
      02-15-2013 12:13 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Rg012188 View Post
      Thanks LSinLV. We purchased MAF cleaner and taped off the connectors, wasn't that dirty. We did take care of the issue with the coil pack but that wasn't it. I've been doing some reading and thinking the issue with my car could be the temp sensor or catalytic converter. Any ideas?
      have you scanned the ECU??

have you used the measuring blocks like I mentioned?? they are the ONLY way to accurately diagnose which sensor(s) is the issue.
      Larry

Demokratikally Elekted Minister of Shekels of the Independent People's Republik of Offtopikstan

9. 03-28-2013 11:21 PM #9
      So we went back to o'reillys and did a warranty exchange on the o2 sensors and replaced the coil pack, the car ran fine for a month or so then it started idling rough again and the check engine light came on. Ran the codes and it comes up with this:

p0300 Randoms misfire
      p0302 cylinder 2
      p0304 cylnder 4
      p0306 cylinder 6

we did a compression and leak down test and cylinder 5 was about 40 PSI lower than the rest and when we dropped oil down it went up. could this be causing misfires?

10. 05-14-2013 01:24 AM #10
      So we got tired of messing around with DIY and THREE local mechanics who had NO idea what they were doing and finally took it to a German auto mechanic about an hour away. Agee about an hour of various tests he determined it was a combination of a bad MAF (extremely low reading), a couple small cracks in a few of the vacuum lines( you could hear a faint hissing sound) and a clogged catalytic converter. Replaced them all and the car runs like a champ! It's like a brand new car. Went from getting like 21mpg hwy to 32mpg.

Vehicles
      2003 Jetta 1.8T, 2013 Toyota 4Runner, 08 Volvo S40
      05-14-2013 01:32 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by sommersprossen View Post
      yes you need a new coilpack, or jb weld the old one. my 01 vr6 also went thru this and i changed out the coilpack(oem 1)and it solved my issue
      How old would you be, if you didn't know how old you were?

Alaskan Green build thread.