Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Aftermarket headlights and questions about beam patterns...

1. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2006 VW Passat 2.0T
      01-30-2013 10:12 PM #1
      Hey guys -

So, long story short, a deer decided to play chicken with my car a couple months back and neither one of us walked away happy... Tore up the front end of the car, yada yada. Anyway, the left headlight (among other things) is replaced by the body shop. The headlight they replaced it with was made by an aftermarket company, but at first it seemed okay. They popped my HIDs (aftermarket kit - VVME) back in, and I went on my way. I noticed the beam pattern was different, but I chaulked it up to the headlight being improperly aimed. I re-aimed the light, and this is what I have:

My OEM right side headlight:

Then, there's this god awful mess:

So, as you can see, the beam from the OEM headlight is pretty decent considering it is not a proper HID projector (the cell phone picture isn't the greatest; sorry). The pattern cast by the aftermarket headlight is just awful, though.

I've had the car for just under two months now since getting it back from the body shop and closing the case through the insurance company, so I'm 99% sure that if I want to replace it now, it's going to be all on me. I was looking around online for prices on OEM headlights, and stumbled on THIS page... I've always loved the Audi style LED "eyelashes" on headlights... And a pair of any of these headlights is roughly the same as an OEM assembly... BUT, I don't want to be left in the same boat as I'm in now with beam patterns that look like utter piss.

So, all my ramblings were to ask this: Has anybody had any experience with these (or similar) aftermarket headlights for their B6 Passats and how good is the beam pattern on them? Doesn't have to be these exact headlights, but if they had the LED "eyelashes" (or whatever the LED daytime runners are called), that would be a huge plus. Thanks in advance guys!

-Ben

Vehicles
      '07 B6 Passat
      01-31-2013 02:19 AM #2
      Have you verified the bulb is seated correctly? Looks to me like the bulb is misaligned/loose.
      2007 Candy White/Black Passat 2.0T Wolfsburg Edition| APR Stage 2+ | APR HPFP | Forge WINtake | S3 Intercooler | B&B 3" Turbo-Back Exhaust | Dogbone Insert | FK Silverline+ Coilovers | Front Lip Spoiler/Hi-Def Sideskirts | Votex Trunk Lip Spoiler | R-Line Fog Grilles | Clear Corners | HID Kit - low beams & fogs | RCD-510 | Podi Boost gauge | R-Line Pedals | GTI Steering Wheel |

3. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2006 VW Passat 2.0T
      01-31-2013 09:14 AM #3
      I've looked at it briefly a couple times before, and it's appeared okay, but I'm gonna take a thorough look at it in the next few days. I've also heard that if the plastic bases on these bulbs are overly thick that they can cause similar problems... if it is seated properly, I'll probably grab a set of HIDs that have a proper metal base that is identical to a traditional H7 bulb... I'll check the bulb again though. Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Vehicles
      2009 B6 Variant
      01-31-2013 09:40 AM #4
      Honestly the cutoff looks fine. I'd guess that your bulb isnt seated in there just right. Either that or you could be getting weird reflections from the non OEM light, but if you look at the picture it looks like all the light is focused towards the bottom left, which to me points to the bulb not being seated correctly. It can be hard to make sure that you get those clips in just right!

Vehicles
      2008 Volkswagen Passat 2.0T FSI Engine
      01-31-2013 11:03 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Toxic Dover View Post
      Hey guys -

So, long story short, a deer decided to play chicken with my car a couple months back and neither one of us walked away happy... Tore up the front end of the car, yada yada. Anyway, the left headlight (among other things) is replaced by the body shop. The headlight they replaced it with was made by an aftermarket company, but at first it seemed okay. They popped my HIDs (aftermarket kit - VVME) back in, and I went on my way. I noticed the beam pattern was different, but I chaulked it up to the headlight being improperly aimed. I re-aimed the light, and this is what I have:

My OEM right side headlight:

Then, there's this god awful mess:

So, as you can see, the beam from the OEM headlight is pretty decent considering it is not a proper HID projector (the cell phone picture isn't the greatest; sorry). The pattern cast by the aftermarket headlight is just awful, though.

I've had the car for just under two months now since getting it back from the body shop and closing the case through the insurance company, so I'm 99% sure that if I want to replace it now, it's going to be all on me. I was looking around online for prices on OEM headlights, and stumbled on THIS page... I've always loved the Audi style LED "eyelashes" on headlights... And a pair of any of these headlights is roughly the same as an OEM assembly... BUT, I don't want to be left in the same boat as I'm in now with beam patterns that look like utter piss.

So, all my ramblings were to ask this: Has anybody had any experience with these (or similar) aftermarket headlights for their B6 Passats and how good is the beam pattern on them? Doesn't have to be these exact headlights, but if they had the LED "eyelashes" (or whatever the LED daytime runners are called), that would be a huge plus. Thanks in advance guys!

-Ben
      Could you provide the make and serial number of the replacement? I need to replace mine due to humidity issues...
      -Andre

6. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2008 Passat B6
      01-31-2013 04:49 PM #6
      Why don't you retrofit with FX-R?
      Aftermarket lights shouldn't be permasealed so it's a big go ahead!

It does look like incorrect placement.
      Last edited by Caxap; 01-31-2013 at 04:52 PM.

7. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2006 VW Passat 2.0T
      01-31-2013 06:00 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Caxap View Post
      Why don't you retrofit with FX-R?
      Aftermarket lights shouldn't be permasealed so it's a big go ahead!

It does look like incorrect placement.

I'd actually love to do a proper retrofit, but I haven't been able to find too much info on doing it with B6 headlights. I'd love to find out more about how to do it, though. Got any links or info to share?

8. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2006 VW Passat 2.0T
      01-31-2013 06:21 PM #8
      Well, I went and inspected the bulb placement a bit more and took some pictures... First, I took the bulb out and looked at the back of the housing:

So, I re-seated the bulb a couple times... Looks about as right as can be, considering the space intended for the H7's tab:

Unless it's cut wrong or something, the beam still looks the same... It's still fuzzy and has those ghastly square shaped reflections above the cut offs. I've wiggled, pushed, pulled, etc., and nothing changes... However, I did look at the back of the OEM one and noticed something:

The OEM headlight retaining clip is completely different... Now, I didn't take this bulb out, because getting my hand in there is an absolute nightmare considering the washer bottle is about an inch and a half from the back of the headlight. However, if the bulb is supposed to recess into the housing on the OEM one and just clips to the back of this aftermarket piece of crap, I'm thinking that may be the case... Anybody have a picture of the back of an empty B6 headlight assembly?

9. Member
      Vehicles
      08 Passat wagon 2.0T 6MT (current). Past: 02 Golf TDI, Dark Beige 88.5 Camry V6 5MT, AE82 Corolla
      02-01-2013 01:51 PM #9
      looks like a Depo housing
      2008 Passat wagon, 2.0T 6MT with mods
      Other Rides:
      - 2013 Cannondale CAADX-6
      - 2010 Specialized Secteur Elite
      - 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29-er