Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Results 1 to 21 of 21

    Thread: Tiguan Electrical Problems

    1. 02-14-2013 09:02 PM #1
      Drove my 2009 Tiguan today and all was fine.

      Parked the car and when I returned, the car started normally but I could not release the electronic parking brake. The park brake failure light appeared on the dashboard. I eventually was able to release the park brake by pushing the switch before the computer was able to recognise the problem.

      So I drove off thinking it was just the parking brake. Then I saw the display was warning me that the driver door was open which it wasn't. Opened/Closed the door again no change.

      Then i proceeded to loose:
      - Auto Hold (Linked to Park Brake)
      - Air conditioning
      - Multi-functional steering wheel controls
      - Bluetooth Phone System
      - Speed Sensing Door Locks
      - Auto Headlamps
      - Auto Windshield Wipers
      - Stereo that randomly turns off by itself
      - Speedometer and Radio Lighting
      - Internal Indicator Display
      - Temporally lost ESP

      Car drove normally otherwise.

      Other Info:
      - Car warned me intermittently of left reverse light not working for the few days prior.
      - Tiguan 2.0TSI 4Motion

      I have to say I am a little worried.

      Can anyone help!

    2. Member D-Caf's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 21st, 2009
      Location
      East Coast
      Posts
      584
      Vehicles
      2009/VW/Tiguan
      02-14-2013 09:29 PM #2
      Unfortunately my first guess would be to check your under hood fuse box for melting:

      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...-40K-club..%29
      2009 Black/Brown Tiguan SE w/4Motion
      - Added: Revo Stage 1 w/Select Plus, RNS-510, Volk-L Bluetooth, 2" Class 3 Hitch + Trailer Module, VAG-COM Micro-CAN, 19" Savannah 2Tone
      2001 Black/Tan Golf GLS 1.8T w/Monsoon (Wifes)
      - Added: 6 Disc Changer, K&N Filter

    3. 02-14-2013 09:34 PM #3
      Ok thanks for the advice will have a look at that tomorrow.

      Any idea my the car computer seemed to be frozen? Indicating the driver door open.

      All I can explain it as, like it got a virus

    4. Member
      Join Date
      Nov 6th, 2004
      Location
      Florida
      Posts
      5,319
      Vehicles
      R
      02-14-2013 09:40 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Tiguan_2.0TSI View Post
      Ok thanks for the advice will have a look at that tomorrow.

      Any idea my the car computer seemed to be frozen? Indicating the driver door open.

      All I can explain it as, like it got a virus
      Electronic shorts can cause all kinds of funky stuff. The "melting fuse box" seems like the most logical place to start.

    5. 02-14-2013 09:49 PM #5
      That does make sense, where is the Tiguan fuse box so I know where to check?

    6. Member
      Join Date
      Nov 6th, 2004
      Location
      Florida
      Posts
      5,319
      Vehicles
      R
      02-14-2013 10:35 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Tiguan_2.0TSI View Post
      That does make sense, where is the Tiguan fuse box so I know where to check?
      I don't own a Tig (yet) - have just been reading these forums too. If it's like other VW's then there are multiple fuse boxes. Looks like the ones people are having melted fuses in are under the hood - should be in your owners manual as to exactly where.

    7. Member tigatola's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 25th, 2010
      Location
      We(s)t Coast, Canada
      Posts
      351
      Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan Highline
      02-14-2013 10:41 PM #7
      There is one fuse/relay box under the hood, and another one behind the left side dash panel. The one that has been a problem has been the one under the hood.

    8. 02-15-2013 06:15 AM #8
      Thanks for all the replies. Car going into dealer today, will report back

    9. 02-15-2013 02:28 PM #9
      Update: They don't know what the problem is That always worries me when it is electrical. So of course this means no Tiguan for the weekend, hopefully not more than that.

    10. Member
      Join Date
      Nov 20th, 2008
      Location
      Atlanta
      Posts
      277
      Vehicles
      12' passat se, 10' A4
      02-15-2013 03:10 PM #10
      Bad/Weak battery can also cause electrical gremlins.
      Sure they will figure it out.

    11. 02-16-2013 02:17 PM #11
      I just leased a new 2013 Tiguan SEL(38 miles) and the next day after I drove it off the lot, it would not start. The radio and lights came on but no engine. My salesperson came by and jumped it, it started but two hours later, same problem. This time jumping it did not work and we had have my brand to car towed. It has been in service for 5 days, and they still have not been able to provide me with an answer as to what is going on. At first they said it was the battery, then the alternator now they think it is the fuse box. I'm very frustrated and considering my options; the dealer asked for a few more days to resolve the issue before just out right replacing my car. However I'm afraid this car may just be a bad apple and considering washing my hands of the whole mess right now. I've already lost considerable time at work, trying to deal with this issue, was late for a board meeting which left 20 board certified physicians waiting on me and paying for a vehicle I have not even had an hour to enjoy. Any advice?

    12. Member tigatola's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 25th, 2010
      Location
      We(s)t Coast, Canada
      Posts
      351
      Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan Highline
      02-16-2013 02:26 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by Texastwin View Post
      I just leased a new 2013 Tiguan SEL(38 miles) and the next day after I drove it off the lot, it would not start. The radio and lights came on but no engine. My salesperson came by and jumped it, it started but two hours later, same problem. This time jumping it did not work and we had have my brand to car towed. It has been in service for 5 days, and they still have not been able to provide me with an answer as to what is going on. At first they said it was the battery, then the alternator now they think it is the fuse box. I'm very frustrated and considering my options; the dealer asked for a few more days to resolve the issue before just out right replacing my car. However I'm afraid this car may just be a bad apple and considering washing my hands of the whole mess right now. I've already lost considerable time at work, trying to deal with this issue, was late for a board meeting which left 20 board certified physicians waiting on me and paying for a vehicle I have not even had an hour to enjoy. Any advice?
      Put the sentiments you've shared here in writing for VW of America (or the importer where you live) and see what they can/will do for you.
      Last edited by tigatola; 02-16-2013 at 04:07 PM.

    13. 02-16-2013 04:59 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by tigatola View Post
      Put the sentiments you've shared here in writing for VW of America (or the importer where you live) and see what they can/will do for you.
      Thanks for your quick response. I'm going to give them until Tuesday and if I the car is still not useable, get a replacement. VW has been notified and they are sending an engineer to evaluate the situation, looking more and more like this Tiguan is not the car for me.

    14. 02-16-2013 05:54 PM #14
      Nothing worse than problems with a new car. If you can definitely push for a replacement.

    15. 02-18-2013 06:26 PM #15
      The auto code readers the the VW dealers use, would that be able to tell them what the fault is with the electrical system?

      I think I want to buy my own

    16. Member
      Join Date
      Jul 27th, 2007
      Location
      Ottawa, Canada
      Posts
      2,765
      Vehicles
      07 Rabbit, 10 Tiguan, 1928 Chev, 02 Dakota
      02-18-2013 07:29 PM #16
      The 'code reader' the VW dealers use, is either a VAS or ODIS system and is worth tens of thousands of dollars. Is it VCDS you are looking for? It's more than just a code reader.

    17. 02-18-2013 07:32 PM #17
      On a second thought maybe not...

      But the one VW has can it read electrical problems?
      Last edited by Tiguan_2.0TSI; 02-18-2013 at 07:35 PM.

    18. Member
      Join Date
      Jul 27th, 2007
      Location
      Ottawa, Canada
      Posts
      2,765
      Vehicles
      07 Rabbit, 10 Tiguan, 1928 Chev, 02 Dakota
      02-19-2013 11:25 AM #18
      VCDS can check electrical as well, if there is something reported. Other than that a good
      DMM will help as well.

    19. 02-21-2013 08:44 AM #19
      Dealer so far thinks that the battery is operating at low capacity. So we will see what happens

    20. 02-28-2013 08:19 PM #20
      Almost 2 weeks later the Tiguan has returned. All seems well.

      Parts changed according to receipt:
      - Fuse Plate
      - Ignition Capsule Switch

      I took a look at the old fuse box, and I can't see anything visibly wrong with it so it didn't melt (which Im glad for) must be something internal.

      Good to have a car back, was a little tired of public transportation .

    21. Member
      Join Date
      Nov 20th, 2008
      Location
      Atlanta
      Posts
      277
      Vehicles
      12' passat se, 10' A4
      03-04-2013 01:53 PM #21
      Glad you got it back in working order (knock on wood)
      There seems to be a rash of electrical / fuse block issues lately with the tigs.
      Hopefully VW gets this mess figured out.

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •