VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Tiguan Electrical Problems

18K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  432828 
#1 ·
Drove my 2009 Tiguan today and all was fine.

Parked the car and when I returned, the car started normally but I could not release the electronic parking brake. The park brake failure light appeared on the dashboard. I eventually was able to release the park brake by pushing the switch before the computer was able to recognise the problem.

So I drove off thinking it was just the parking brake. Then I saw the display was warning me that the driver door was open which it wasn't. Opened/Closed the door again no change.

Then i proceeded to loose:
- Auto Hold (Linked to Park Brake)
- Air conditioning
- Multi-functional steering wheel controls
- Bluetooth Phone System
- Speed Sensing Door Locks
- Auto Headlamps
- Auto Windshield Wipers
- Stereo that randomly turns off by itself
- Speedometer and Radio Lighting
- Internal Indicator Display
- Temporally lost ESP

Car drove normally otherwise.

Other Info:
- Car warned me intermittently of left reverse light not working for the few days prior.
- Tiguan 2.0TSI 4Motion

I have to say I am a little worried. :confused:

Can anyone help! :)

See less See more
#2 ·
#6 ·
I don't own a Tig (yet) - have just been reading these forums too. If it's like other VW's then there are multiple fuse boxes. Looks like the ones people are having melted fuses in are under the hood - should be in your owners manual as to exactly where. :thumbup:

#11 ·
2013 Tiguan SEL Electrical Problems

I just leased a new 2013 Tiguan SEL(38 miles) and the next day after I drove it off the lot, it would not start. The radio and lights came on but no engine. My salesperson came by and jumped it, it started but two hours later, same problem. This time jumping it did not work and we had have my brand to car towed. It has been in service for 5 days, and they still have not been able to provide me with an answer as to what is going on. At first they said it was the battery, then the alternator now they think it is the fuse box. I'm very frustrated and considering my options; the dealer asked for a few more days to resolve the issue before just out right replacing my car. However I'm afraid this car may just be a bad apple and considering washing my hands of the whole mess right now. I've already lost considerable time at work, trying to deal with this issue, was late for a board meeting which left 20 board certified physicians waiting on me and paying for a vehicle I have not even had an hour to enjoy. Any advice?

#12 · (Edited)
I just leased a new 2013 Tiguan SEL(38 miles) and the next day after I drove it off the lot, it would not start. The radio and lights came on but no engine. My salesperson came by and jumped it, it started but two hours later, same problem. This time jumping it did not work and we had have my brand to car towed. It has been in service for 5 days, and they still have not been able to provide me with an answer as to what is going on. At first they said it was the battery, then the alternator now they think it is the fuse box. I'm very frustrated and considering my options; the dealer asked for a few more days to resolve the issue before just out right replacing my car. However I'm afraid this car may just be a bad apple and considering washing my hands of the whole mess right now. I've already lost considerable time at work, trying to deal with this issue, was late for a board meeting which left 20 board certified physicians waiting on me and paying for a vehicle I have not even had an hour to enjoy. Any advice?
Put the sentiments you've shared here in writing for VW of America (or the importer where you live) and see what they can/will do for you.

#20 ·
Update

Almost 2 weeks later the Tiguan has returned. All seems well.

Parts changed according to receipt:
- Fuse Plate
- Ignition Capsule Switch

I took a look at the old fuse box, and I can't see anything visibly wrong with it :confused: so it didn't melt (which Im glad for) must be something internal.

Good to have a car back, was a little tired of public transportation .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.