Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Diverter valve

1. 02-25-2013 05:22 PM #1
      Anyone with a '13 GLI know if we have a 06h 145 710 c or 06h 145 710 d??

I have the ~2200-2700 RPM hiccup with light throttle (usually in 2nd gear)

I have read countless thread about how much more worse this issue becomes after a stage 1 tune (something i plan to do in the near future)

Any help ??

additionally...

is the Forger DV really worth the extra cash?

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 VW Jetta GLI
      02-25-2013 05:48 PM #2
      i would like to know the same thing

Vehicles
      2011 GTI (RIP) -- Candy White 2013 GLI w/nav
      02-25-2013 06:01 PM #3
      My 2013 gli came with the rev C.. I never had any issue with it. I did replace it with the revision D just to be sure. As for the forge dv it really isnt nesessary... Most people just run the rev D
      2013 Candy White GLI w/Nav
      Mods: APR Carbonio Stg 1+2, Eurojet Downpipe, Eurojet Intercooler, AWE Touring Cat-Back Exhaust, Southbend Stage 3 Drop-in Clutch, S3 Short Shifter, AWE Boost Gauge, 42 Draft Shifter Bushings, BFI Torque Mount, Turbo Outlet Pipe & Throttle Body Piping, Koni Coilovers, 17mm Spacers (Front), 15mm Spacers (Rear), Gloss Black Vinyl Roof, Vag-Com Tweaks

Vehicles
      2012/VW/GLI Autobahn w/Nav
      02-26-2013 12:16 AM #4
      OP, if you don't have a tune, why don't you get this fixed under warranty? I can't feel the hiccup in stock mode at all. If you can, you should go to the dealership and have them fix this problem. I wish that was my case. Only noticed a problem after APR stage 1. Can't get them to fix a problem that wouldn't exist without my tune. Please keep us posted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

5. Member
      Vehicles
      08 Passat wagon 2.0T 6MT (current). Past: 02 Golf TDI, Dark Beige 88.5 Camry V6 5MT, AE82 Corolla
      02-26-2013 09:17 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by zrmarci View Post
      Anyone with a '13 GLI know if we have a 06h 145 710 c or 06h 145 710 d??
      06H 145 710 C and 06H 145 710 D are both piston DV's. THe "D" version has a cage around the piston and the "C" does not.

I have read countless thread about how much more worse this issue becomes after a stage 1 tune (something i plan to do in the near future)

Any help ??
      The issue is with diaphram valves, from the "06F" family of DV's.... 06F 145 710 C & 06F 145 710 G

additionally...
      is the Forger DV really worth the extra cash?
      No. It is a heavier duty diaphram valve that requires maintenance (cleaning & lubing the internal body and spring).

Imo... though AWE-Tuning's DV is a great upgrade. It is also a diaphram valve, but, unlike the Forge DV, it is a lot simpler. It removes the ECU control of the DV for a simple intake manifold pressure/vacuum based operation.

Forge DV really worth the extra cash?
      2008 Passat wagon, 2.0T 6MT with mods
      Other Rides:
      - 2013 Cannondale CAADX-6
      - 2010 Specialized Secteur Elite
      - 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29-er

6. 02-26-2013 10:42 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by BsickPassat View Post
      06H 145 710 C and 06H 145 710 D are both piston DV's. THe "D" version has a cage around the piston and the "C" does not.

The issue is with diaphram valves, from the "06F" family of DV's.... 06F 145 710 C & 06F 145 710 G

additionally...

No. It is a heavier duty diaphram valve that requires maintenance (cleaning & lubing the internal body and spring).

Imo... though AWE-Tuning's DV is a great upgrade. It is also a diaphram valve, but, unlike the Forge DV, it is a lot simpler. It removes the ECU control of the DV for a simple intake manifold pressure/vacuum based operation.

Forge DV really worth the extra cash?
      Forge seems to be overdoing it a bit.

Perhaps you should order from the "06H" family instead and get the "D" version with the mechanical piston...

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/06H_145_710_D/ES263879/

Just saying you should check it out

Also... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7F7OPUtyjU

Thanks for the info in the "F" family hierachy tho

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 Jetta GLI DSG
      02-26-2013 10:48 AM #7
      So, is this compatible with a tune? I was under the impression that the DV is how the ECU controls boost pressure, and if the ECU doesn't control that anymore, the majority of the gains from a tune would go away, since the majority is based on boost control, is it not?

8. 02-26-2013 10:50 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by AaronRedGTi View Post
      My 2013 gli came with the rev C.. I never had any issue with it. I did replace it with the revision D just to be sure. As for the forge dv it really isnt nesessary... Most people just run the rev D
      Thanks for the response! Made the purchase much easier not having to lift the car last night and do the leg work myself

Props.

9. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Volkswagen GLI
      02-26-2013 11:18 AM #9
      Recomending forge DV
      '12 GLI AB. APR stage2 APR 3" doenpipe. borla exchaust. VWR windtake. Forge BOV

Vehicles
      2012 VW GLI
      02-26-2013 11:20 AM #10
      Just purchased rev D. What's the scoop with the forge blow off adapter? I just like that sound
      John Handcock

11. 02-26-2013 11:33 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Tomekmrowa View Post
      Recomending forge DV
      Oh do ya.... for 3.5x less of what Forge costs it just not worth it. If only we were pull 500+ whp and 30+ psi

This is an old video and the DV design may have been slightly updated since, but heres what the 06H145710D looks like (similar to) on the inside

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3F26gmk4j8

12. 02-26-2013 11:34 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by King Schwab View Post
      Just purchased rev D. What's the scoop with the forge blow off adapter? I just like that sound
      They say its not good for the TSI engine, but they also didnt say it wasnt all that bad for it neither...

I was looking at it myself

13. Member
      Vehicles
      08 Passat wagon 2.0T 6MT (current). Past: 02 Golf TDI, Dark Beige 88.5 Camry V6 5MT, AE82 Corolla
      02-26-2013 11:50 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by araemo View Post
      So, is this compatible with a tune? I was under the impression that the DV is how the ECU controls boost pressure, and if the ECU doesn't control that anymore, the majority of the gains from a tune would go away, since the majority is based on boost control, is it not?
      The DV does play an influence in controlling boost, as it can, as needed work with the wastegate.

then AWE DV works fine with tunes.

the Forge DV works similar to that of the 1.8T DV system.
      Other Rides:

Vehicles
      2013 Jetta GLI Autobahn, 96 Jetta GLS BBM S/C, 1998 Chevy K1500 Z71
      02-26-2013 12:29 PM #14
      Does the 06H "C" revision suffer from failure as well? even though it uses a piston.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 Jetta GLI DSG
      02-26-2013 12:31 PM #15
      The DV does play an influence in controlling boost, as it can, as needed work with the wastegate.

then AWE DV works fine with tunes.

the Forge DV works similar to that of the 1.8T DV system.
      Work with the wastegate? I wasn't aware we had a wastegate, I thought the diverter valve served that purpose on the TSI engine. I guess I was misinformed.. but it still seems less than ideal to remove ECU control of this valve.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      02-26-2013 12:37 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by jstewart204 View Post
      Does the 06H "C" revision suffer from failure as well? even though it uses a piston.
      yes... but extremely rare where the piston tip cracks.

Other Rides:

Vehicles
      2013 VW GLI
      02-26-2013 01:05 PM #17
      Work with the wastegate? I wasn't aware we had a wastegate, I thought the diverter valve served that purpose on the TSI engine. I guess I was misinformed.. but it still seems less than ideal to remove ECU control of this valve.
      I believe all turbo cars have a wastegate. It is what controls the pressure that goes into the turbine. We have DV in lieu of a BOV though.

-Dan
      RockRaider Off-road
      PM me for quotes
      Authorized dealer: JCR Off-road | Expedition One | ACE Engineering and Fab | All Pro Off-road | Ripp Mods Superchargers | Rotopax

18. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 Jetta GLI DSG
      02-26-2013 01:29 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by Daniel_M View Post
      I believe all turbo cars have a wastegate. It is what controls the pressure that goes into the turbine. We have DV in lieu of a BOV though.

-Dan
      Ah, as usual, some searching and reading answered my question..
      DV or BOV = intake side pressure regulation.

Wastegate = exhaust side pressure regulation.

I'm still confused why you'd want to switch from computer-controlled, DV to a 'dumb' one that activates at a specific pressure only?

Vehicles
      2013 VW GLI
      02-26-2013 01:40 PM #19
      Ah, as usual, some searching and reading answered my question..
      DV or BOV = intake side pressure regulation.

Wastegate = exhaust side pressure regulation.

I'm still confused why you'd want to switch from computer-controlled, DV to a 'dumb' one that activates at a specific pressure only?
      Probably because it will be more consistent. You can always rely on it releasing at a certain PSI. Whereas an ECU controlled one has more variables involved and may alter the boost according to ECU readings. If something is going wrong with the car the ECU can erroneously tell the DV to do something it shouldn’t.

That may be the thought process behind it. I don’t know though…

-Dan
      RockRaider Off-road
      PM me for quotes
      Authorized dealer: JCR Off-road | Expedition One | ACE Engineering and Fab | All Pro Off-road | Ripp Mods Superchargers | Rotopax

20. 02-26-2013 02:02 PM #20
      Probably because it will be more consistent. You can always rely on it releasing at a certain PSI. Whereas an ECU controlled one has more variables involved and may alter the boost according to ECU readings. If something is going wrong with the car the ECU can erroneously tell the DV to do something it shouldn’t.

That may be the thought process behind it. I don’t know though…

-Dan

Yess....Interesting

Speaking in theoretic's, lets say the car is chipped...
      Wouldnt we be better off to let the ECU control the 'smart' DV?
      It is designed to draw the most from the entire engine, from intake hose out to turbo exhaust

or Perhaps its just erroneous

21. Member
      Vehicles
      02-26-2013 02:20 PM #21

-Dan
      Not all have a wastegate. The ones that use a Variable Nozzle Turbo, ie TDI's, Chrysler 2.2L turbos... Porsche 997 turbo... don't.

They use a series of nozzles/vanes that direct exhaust gas to the turbine or goes around the turbine
      Nozzles closed

nozzles open
      Last edited by BsickPassat; 02-26-2013 at 02:27 PM.
      Other Rides:

22. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Jetta GLI
      02-26-2013 02:36 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by zrmarci View Post
      Yess....Interesting

Speaking in theoretic's, lets say the car is chipped...
      Wouldnt we be better off to let the ECU control the 'smart' DV?
      It is designed to draw the most from the entire engine, from intake hose out to turbo exhaust
      or Perhaps its just erroneous
      The benefit I see in running the "dumb" dv is that because it runs straight off the actuall vaccum and boost created by the engine and turbo, you know it will always be closed during boost and open during vaccum. I think that at times the ecu may keep the "smart" valve closed during shifts and that at times, depending on the situation, it may bleed boost.
      Now does this mean more power or anything like that, no. It just comes down to preference. There are lots people running either valve with no real issues.
      2012 candy white Jetta GLI

23. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Jetta GLI
      02-26-2013 02:38 PM #23
      Not all have a wastegate. The ones that use a Variable Nozzle Turbo, ie TDI's, Chrysler 2.2L turbos... Porsche 997 turbo... don't.

They use a series of nozzles/vanes that direct exhaust gas to the turbine or goes around the turbine
      Nozzles closed

nozzles open
      Yea, this is bassically how almost all modern diesel turbos work. The new turbo Mercedes AMG engines use VGT turbos also.
      2012 candy white Jetta GLI

24. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 Jetta GLI DSG
      02-26-2013 02:48 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by TC4Tay View Post
      Yea, this is bassically how almost all modern diesel turbos work. The new turbo Mercedes AMG engines use VGT turbos also.
      I'm a little surprised that's enough to avoid the need for a wastegate, but I guess, if it's effective enough in letting air bypass, it would functionally be similar. I was honestly a little surprised the TSI doesn't use that style of turbo, but I do prefer reliability over having the latest tech, so I wasn't that concerned.

25. Member
      Vehicles
      02-26-2013 02:53 PM #25
      I'm a little surprised that's enough to avoid the need for a wastegate, but I guess, if it's effective enough in letting air bypass, it would functionally be similar. I was honestly a little surprised the TSI doesn't use that style of turbo, but I do prefer reliability over having the latest tech, so I wasn't that concerned.
      the technology on gasoline engines has been around since 1989, about 10 years prior to VW using it on a TDI
      Other Rides:

26. 02-26-2013 02:58 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by TC4Tay View Post
      The benefit I see in running the "dumb" dv is that because it runs straight off the actuall vaccum and boost created by the engine and turbo, you know it will always be closed during boost and open during vaccum. I think that at times the ecu may keep the "smart" valve closed during shifts and that at times, depending on the situation, it may bleed boost.
      Now does this mean more power or anything like that, no. It just comes down to preference. There are lots people running either valve with no real issues.

That certainly makes lots of sense.