Page 30 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132 LastLast

Thread: The Rental Car Thread

1. 03-05-2017 05:22 PM #726
      Sixt does suck

Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8, 96 T&C LXi
      03-05-2017 05:33 PM #727
      Quote Originally Posted by chucchinchilla View Post
      We've had a Hemi version for the last month while the X3 is in the shop and to be honest, it's obnoxiously loud. Sure it's great for a few laughs but once the novelty wears off you're stuck with a loud roar which beats you down on daily commutes.
      You need to quit Sponge Bobbing it.
      "Sometimes, I have a sudden urge to fart on this chair."

Vehicles
      Lowered Outback, SVX, GMC Sierra
      03-20-2017 09:24 AM #728
      We have a Yukon SLT in Florida (every option available minus sunroof)

I guess this is all TCL really cares about

Instagram: calederoo

#FREEPATRIKMAN

Vehicles
      Clownshoe, GolfR, WeeStrom
      03-20-2017 01:10 PM #729
      Quote Originally Posted by lostmypassword View Post
      I had enough leg room inside that I didn't even push the seat all the way back on the tracks. That is rare for me, and given the cars overall size I was super impressed with the interior space.
      German cars seem to be surprisingly spacious for tall people. First thing that comes to mind is my 6'10" buddy who had to drive his Infiniti Q45 with the driver's seat ALL the way back, looking out the rear side window, to fit. In a "full size" luxury car. His next car was a B5 S4 avant he actually fit in, and I could sit behind him in the rear seat without issue.

Quote Originally Posted by ImpeccableNEW View Post
      Sixt does suck
      Thanks for your valuable data point. By the way, what other rental car company in the US actually offers interesting cars? I don't know of any. That alone is enough to send me their way even if the service was bad, but I find their service impeccable.
      Quote Originally Posted by Dravenport View Post
      this thread is a mess, I can't tell if it's full of trolls or idiots and I'm not sure it matters

03-20-2017 01:20 PM #730
      Had a brand new Jeep Cherokee this weekend. I was shocked at how much better it shifted compared to the model I drove back in 2014.
      Quote Originally Posted by Doug Butabi View Post
      And on the tenth day of the two thousand fifteenth year, TCL finds out about rich people.

03-20-2017 06:44 PM #731
      I'm in Texas with the family for the week, we have yet another Yukon XL. Drives nice but totally gutless.
      the user formerly known as al@absolute
      13 F250 XLT 6.7 CCSB (current) - 17 F350 Platinum 6.7 CCSB (on order) | 17 Explorer Sport | 87 Buick Regal GN | 14 Mustang GT | 37 Plymouth Coupe | 16 Kawasaki Mule Pro-Fxt

Vehicles
      Lowered Outback, SVX, GMC Sierra
      03-20-2017 06:46 PM #732
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      HA HA HA HA

You got F8****** Brain
      Instagram: calederoo

#FREEPATRIKMAN

Vehicles
      13 Elantra
      03-20-2017 09:47 PM #733
      BF has a rental Ford Fusion this week in Ecoboost trim & pretty loaded. Feels peppy and steering is much, much, MUCH better than the Kia Optima SX from a few months ago. Mood lighting, hard buttons for important stuff, & car play. No quirks with the interface so far.

What I don't get is why cars don't offer more USB ports. Hyundai/Kia seems to offer dual ports in every recent model so thirty something thousand dollar Fords should too.

Last edited by 2.0T_Convert; 03-20-2017 at 09:50 PM.
      Sent from my tablet while sipping weak drinks over fancy brunch with a view

Vehicles
      2016 Honda HR-V
      03-21-2017 12:59 PM #734
      Renting a car from the "intermediate" class, which appears to be these (Enterprise):

Toyota Corolla, Ford Focus, Hyundai Elantra, Kia Forte, Nissan Sentra, Honda Civic, Chevrolet Cruze

Is there one I should choose over the other? This is for a 2 hour trip for 4-5 people. My first pick would be the Civic but those seem to be few and far in-between at rental agencies.

Vehicles
      2015 Passat "Limited Edition"
      03-21-2017 01:10 PM #735
      Quote Originally Posted by xo_vw View Post
      Renting a car from the "intermediate" class, which appears to be these (Enterprise):

Toyota Corolla, Ford Focus, Hyundai Elantra, Kia Forte, Nissan Sentra, Honda Civic, Chevrolet Cruze

Is there one I should choose over the other? This is for a 2 hour trip for 4-5 people. My first pick would be the Civic but those seem to be few and far in-between at rental agencies.
      Does it really matter? You're going to take what they give you.

Vehicles
      '12 Yaris, '17 Corolla
      03-21-2017 01:20 PM #736

If you can pick or ask nicely, try to get a Corolla. The back seat is huge - not sure how it compares to all of them, but it is much larger than the Focus or Cruze.
      Improving the signal-to-noise ratio

Vehicles
      2016 Honda HR-V
      03-21-2017 01:46 PM #737
      Quote Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
      Does it really matter? You're going to take what they give you.
      If they have a few different cars on the lot, they usually let me pick...

Quote Originally Posted by adrew View Post
      If you can pick or ask nicely, try to get a Corolla. The back seat is huge - not sure how it compares to all of them, but it is much larger than the Focus or Cruze.
      I knew you were going to say that

Vehicles
      '15 GLI, '16 Jetta Sport, '17 Sportwagen 4motion
      03-21-2017 02:11 PM #738
      Quote Originally Posted by ImpeccableNEW View Post
      Sixt does suck
      I've rented with them in Germany and I was very happy with them. Reserved online a Golf, went to the store to pick it up and they didn't have any available so I got a free upgrade to a Passat.
      *****AMBER CluB*****
      Volkswagen AktienGesellschaft In North America

Vehicles
      98 GTI VR6 / 05 A4(B6)
      03-22-2017 12:32 PM #739
      Ended up renting a few year old Jeep Compass over spring break. Went thru Expedia/Alamo. Did well driving around Oregon/Wash. including some snow up on Mt. Hood.

Vehicles
      Burnt Camaro, ATS
      03-22-2017 04:43 PM #740

My rental for this week. I have a rental car four days a week for work.

Jeep Cherokee Latitude 4x4 with the 3.2l V6.

Interior: They tried so hard in certain places, like with the soft touch dash and stiching, but the center stack has the standard horrible fleet car look. Massive buttons with huge font telling you what they do. The plastic by the infotainment is hilariously cheap and ruins all of that effort FCA did with the dash and door cards. The seats SUCK. Manual seats, no lumbar. I am 6'2" and cannot get the seat to go any lower, there is too much pressure and angle on the back of my lower thighs. The steering wheel is somehow too far away (Fails the wrist on top fitting), even sitting nearly vertical with the seat pretty far forward.

Exterior: The front end will never grow on me. The rest is totally fine.

Driving: Steering is ok, I wish it had decent return to center, but most Chrysler products do not. I know it is a rental car, but the transmission just isn't good. I typical ignore this, unless it is horrid. It feels weezy, I swore it was a multi-air, but I popped the hood to find the V6. Sounds like a four banger, and drives like one.

Summary: I'd never recommend one to anyone, but I do not hate it. However, I certainly do not like it either.

Edit: Trans likes to lag between D and R.

Engine power is fine, it just sounds like a 4 banger. Pentastar not fit?

Last edited by Aonarch; 03-22-2017 at 08:27 PM.

Vehicles
      MK4 R32, F30 320i
      03-24-2017 04:39 PM #741
      Got a Dodge Dart for the day. Unsurprisingly, there is not a single good thing I can say about it
      The Car Lounge summed up

Quote Originally Posted by Fined View Post
      lots of people who post on this forum are not car OR driving enthusiasts. they just come here and post tirades/smarmy comebacks

Flickr™
      DubCult.

Vehicles
      Murica
      03-24-2017 04:45 PM #742
      Quote Originally Posted by Aonarch View Post

My rental for this week. I have a rental car four days a week for work.

Jeep Cherokee Latitude 4x4 with the 3.2l V6.

Interior: They tried so hard in certain places, like with the soft touch dash and stiching, but the center stack has the standard horrible fleet car look. Massive buttons with huge font telling you what they do. The plastic by the infotainment is hilariously cheap and ruins all of that effort FCA did with the dash and door cards. The seats SUCK. Manual seats, no lumbar. I am 6'2" and cannot get the seat to go any lower, there is too much pressure and angle on the back of my lower thighs. The steering wheel is somehow too far away (Fails the wrist on top fitting), even sitting nearly vertical with the seat pretty far forward.

Exterior: The front end will never grow on me. The rest is totally fine.

Driving: Steering is ok, I wish it had decent return to center, but most Chrysler products do not. I know it is a rental car, but the transmission just isn't good. I typical ignore this, unless it is horrid. It feels weezy, I swore it was a multi-air, but I popped the hood to find the V6. Sounds like a four banger, and drives like one.

Summary: I'd never recommend one to anyone, but I do not hate it. However, I certainly do not like it either.

Edit: Trans likes to lag between D and R.

Engine power is fine, it just sounds like a 4 banger. Pentastar not fit?

That display is killer. You could watch a movie from the back seat on that thing!
      Instagram - efrie004

18. Member
      Vehicles
      06 VW GLI (sold), 98 Cherokee offroad toy, 00 Cherokee (DD), 08 Duramax, 91 GMC Syclone
      03-26-2017 04:15 PM #743
      I had a Renault Megane sport tourer in Italy for a rental last week, Pretty fun car for what it was

91 GMC Syclone-build in process
      98 Jeep Cherokee- Caged offroad toy
      00 Jeep Cherokee- Daily Driver
      06 Jetta GLI, APR stg2, lowered,... -->SOLD
      08 Duramax- Toy rig (474hp, 725ft-lbs)

Vehicles
      2016 Honda HR-V
      03-27-2017 08:58 PM #744

Ended up in a Sonata SE (other option was an Altima ) with 30k on the odo.

Pros:
      Big, but does not drive big
      Good fuel economy, car said 32.5MPG over 300 miles, I hand-calculated about 32.7
      VERY comfortable seats! Did not feel tired/uncomfortable at all during 2+ hours of driving.
      Smooth/quiet overall
      Big trunk
      Smooth transmission
      Good visibility
      Good amount of features for trim level

Cons:
      Not as much rear leg room as some others
      So-so acceleration
      Brakes felt terrible although I'll chalk that up to the mileage
      Wind noise sounded little high at times
      Rear doors sound terrible
      Hard to see the gauges in direct sunlight
      Steering was very, very numb. This was probably the biggest issue I had with the car. It's so disconnected and vague that a Camry (or even my car) seems like a sports car in comparison. Would not even consider buying a Hyundai for this reason alone.

Vehicles
      Burnt Camaro, ATS
      03-29-2017 11:07 PM #745

2017 Cruze Premier Sedan.

In a few words: I like it.

Drives great. Steering is a bit too light, but precise. I wonder if different tires would fix it. The ride is smooth. Handling on on-ramps and sharp corners is fun. Torque steer is there, while not horrible, it isn't great. Interior is nice. I wish it had lumbar support, and perforated cooled seats.

I might pass on one simply due to the lack of lumbar, maybe a different trim has it.

After having a few Cruzes for loaners, I totally would rock a hatch back model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

03-29-2017 11:21 PM #746

Ended up in a Sonata SE (other option was an Altima ) with 30k on the odo.

Pros:
      Big, but does not drive big
      Good fuel economy, car said 32.5MPG over 300 miles, I hand-calculated about 32.7
      VERY comfortable seats! Did not feel tired/uncomfortable at all during 2+ hours of driving.
      Smooth/quiet overall
      Big trunk
      Smooth transmission
      Good visibility
      Good amount of features for trim level

Cons:
      Not as much rear leg room as some others
      So-so acceleration
      Brakes felt terrible although I'll chalk that up to the mileage
      Wind noise sounded little high at times
      Rear doors sound terrible
      Hard to see the gauges in direct sunlight
      Steering was very, very numb. This was probably the biggest issue I had with the car. It's so disconnected and vague that a Camry (or even my car) seems like a sports car in comparison. Would not even consider buying a Hyundai for this reason alone.
      I just had one of these yesterday and I largely agree with your sentiments. Mine had great brakes and I thought the gauges were just fine actually. The steering was extremely numb but it didn't feel weird like the last generation. I have to say the most surprising aspects of every Sonata rental I've had thus far are how good the seats are and how smooth the transmission is. Great car if you ask me.
      Quote Originally Posted by Doug Butabi View Post
      And on the tenth day of the two thousand fifteenth year, TCL finds out about rich people.

Vehicles
      2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1963 356
      03-29-2017 11:29 PM #747
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      Even driving normally it's outrageously loud. Actually our neighbors have commented because they can even hear the thing starting every morning and they live across the street. Minus the silly exhaust I actually think it's a decent car for what it is.
      Quote Originally Posted by jamie@vwvortex View Post
      This forum is more and more of an embarrassment every day...

23. Member Unilateral Phase Detractor's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2016 Mazda CX-5 2006 Volkswagen Jetta 2013 Ford Focus Electric
      04-04-2017 02:24 PM #748
      I had this 2017 Ford Focus SEL over the weekend while they did the door latch recall on my FFE.

I'm obviously a fan of the Focus in general with its excellent handling and overall refinement that few cars in its class can touch. There are some minor improvements they've added over the years like a soundscreen windshield and better door lock placement. This particular car also had the best implementation of Powershift that I've experienced so far. Unlike my car that supposedly has a Sony stereo, this one actually had a subwoofer and that makes for a big improvement in audio performance.

However...

Every single reviewer crows about Sync 3 being far superior to MyFord Touch, but I don't share the sentiment. I could never get Sync 3 to reconnect with Pandora after getting in the car and starting. You could do it after a minute or so, but I'd be rather annoyed to live with it. I've got a Samsung Galaxy S7, so it's not exactly a niche device. It seemed as glitchy to me as MFT in its earlier iterations. I get that its a better layout overall and Apple CarPlay/Android Auto is nice, but my day to day experience left me disappointed.

Another complaint: On this particular car, it's not possible to turn off the dome lights. That's not cool when you come home with a sleeping baby and you want to get him to his crib without waking. What a strange omission.

I mentioned that this was the best of Powershift, and if that sounds like I'm damming it with faint praise, you'd be right. They've gone to great lengths to make it feel as much like a traditional automatic as possible. Shifts are very slow and soft, which makes me wonder if they're really getting any fuel economy benefit anymore. It also gets very flummoxed when you call for a multi-gear downshift. Can't help but wonder if the reason these boxes fail so much is they weren't intended to wear the clutches as much as the programming now calls for after people complained about "rough" (ie like a regular manual) shifting.

Overall, I still very much enjoy the Focus, but that GM-Ford 9 speed can't come soon enough for this car. We probably won't see it until the car gets redesigned for MY 2019 though.

24. 04-04-2017 04:08 PM #749
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.0T_Convert View Post
      BF has a rental Ford Fusion this week in Ecoboost trim & pretty loaded. Feels peppy and steering is much, much, MUCH better than the Kia Optima SX from a few months ago. Mood lighting, hard buttons for important stuff, & car play. No quirks with the interface so far.

What I don't get is why cars don't offer more USB ports. Hyundai/Kia seems to offer dual ports in every recent model so thirty something thousand dollar Fords should too.

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/c...pshjoyymnz.jpg
      I got one of those 2 weeks ago. Brand new <500 miles Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium.

I was actually fairly impressed with it. The led lighting was cool and the headlights and interior were outstanding. There are more USB ports in the armrest/center console.

Still I just paired up my phone and bluetooth was fine. The Sony radio was quite decent too.

compared to the usual fullsize altima or or charger, it blew them all away.

The only thing that sucked is that i swear it only had an 8 gallon gas tank. had to stop every 260 miles or so for gas, even though it got a steady 40ish mpg.

Vehicles
      2017 Subaru Forester Touring 2.5i /2016 Ford Explorer/Previous 2013 & 2011 JSW TDI/97 Jetta
      04-04-2017 05:38 PM #750
      I bet it seemed small but is 14 gallons per
      http://www.ford.com/cars/fusion/2017...sion-hybrid-s/
      2017 Subaru Forester Touring 2.5i - 2016 Ford Explorer Limited
      **GONE VW #DasPolluter 2013 JSW TDI Oo>=====v=====<oO 2011 Kia Optima SX(Turbo)/2013 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4/2011 JSW TDI/2006 Ford Explorer EB 4x4 V8/2001 Focus wagon/2001 Ford Escape/97 Jetta GT

For advertising information click HERE

Page 30 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132 LastLast