VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: The Rental Car Thread

1. Member
      Vehicles
      '01 A4 1.8TM
      05-01-2013 05:12 PM #51
      The Cruze is probably still my favorite. OK power, responsive, transmission isn't sluggish (my main gripe with the Focus).

Also really good gas mileage.

The Avenger really needs to be retired, though.

Once in a while you get lucky and get the V6, which is way faster than any "intermediate" class rental car has any right to be. But most of the time you get the pokey 4-cylinder. I noticed that at some point the interior materials got a nice little upgrade (faux stitching on the dash, a few more shiny bezels and trim pieces) but overall the car definitely feels dated. Isn't there a similarly-sized Alfa or something they can slap some Dodge badges on?

Vehicles
      2013 GTI
      05-03-2013 08:19 PM #52
      This thing goes back a couple of years, but I think this was a Ford Detour and it ran pretty well

2013 Mk VI GTI / 2002 Acura RSX type S / 94 Chevy pickup1500 / 68 Chevy C10 shortbed

Vehicles
      VWs & Audis
      05-07-2013 01:22 PM #53
      seemed that I was on an endless cycle of focii and soul's for awhile. Finally last week had a sonic (actually kind of liked it) and this week I have a loaded fiesta (like it even more). Based on the driving experience I'd take a fiesta over a focus any day. Makes me kind of wonder about the fiesta ST, which I can't say I would have ever done otherwise.

I'm not really breaking out of the compact class at the current location I am renting, usually I get a very good mix (mustangs, acadias, edges, commanders, muranos, Wranglers, Jettas, Liberties) but I seem to be stuck in a rut at this location.
      Dave

Vehicles
      1994 Honda Prelude V-TAK
      05-07-2013 01:34 PM #54
      Quote Originally Posted by rs4-380 View Post
      seemed that I was on an endless cycle of focii and soul's for awhile. Finally last week had a sonic (actually kind of liked it) and this week I have a loaded fiesta (like it even more). Based on the driving experience I'd take a fiesta over a focus any day. Makes me kind of wonder about the fiesta ST, which I can't say I would have ever done otherwise.

I'm not really breaking out of the compact class at the current location I am renting, usually I get a very good mix (mustangs, acadias, edges, commanders, muranos, Wranglers, Jettas, Liberties) but I seem to be stuck in a rut at this location.
      Which company are you renting with?

I'm currently with Budget and stuck with a Cruze..with a giant ugly Budget sticker on the back bumper

Vehicles
      VWs & Audis
      05-07-2013 01:36 PM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by TetsuoShima View Post

I'm currently with Budget and stuck with a Cruze..with a giant ugly Budget sticker on the back bumper
      Avis.
      Dave

Vehicles
      '14 WRX, '11 MCS, '03 K1500HD, '83 GS450
      05-07-2013 02:22 PM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by VarianceVQ View Post
      As a guy that owned a 2009 for over three years...good God, the hyperbole.
      Hey, what can I say... the car inspires a certain prose.

If it makes you feel better, one of the Altimas I rented was a Hybrid, the novelty of which helped me to put up with the rest of the car's shortcomings for the week. Instead of capping at 30, the LCD fuel economy gauge went to 50, and it was white rather than amber, which was a marked improvement, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk
      where have i backpedaled?

Vehicles
      '13 Golf R 4dr CSG
      05-07-2013 02:39 PM #57
      Rented a Cadillac ATS for a trip from O'Hare to Madison, WI and back a few weeks ago.

Comfortable car, responsive engine, good handling. Very pleasant driving experience on calm mid-western interstate highways.

That said, I really didn't like the center console touch screen. Granted, in a rental I am not going to spend time learning the complexities of the touch screen in a car I am only going to use for 2-3 days. But.....too complicated. To start with, I don't need theme music to ring out every time I start the car. The real problem was trying to use the audio system.....it certainly takes your eyes away from the road for significant time...and even then we had trouble finding suitable stations on the satellite radio.

Basically, it ruined what would have otherwise been a rather pleasant rental experience (that and the computer meltdown at Hertz O'Hare that caused all Number One Club Gold boards to mal-function and a 30 miute wait to get out of the gate once we have the car...)

2013 4 Door Golf R - CSG

Vehicles
      MY16 VW Golf 1.4 TSI R-Line (prev. owner: VW AG, Wolfsburg)
      05-07-2013 02:56 PM #58

We rented this SEAT Ibiza with 100k miles on it from our hotel a week ago in Mallorca, Spain. It was an SDI in bad need of maintenance, but after a while I was comfortable to drive it faster. The car was in pretty bad shape, but it was fairly fun to drive in the end. The diesel was torquey in the mountain uphills.

Vehicles
      1994 Honda Prelude V-TAK
      05-07-2013 02:56 PM #59
      Quote Originally Posted by rs4-380 View Post
      Avis.
      I've had really good luck with Avis. Except I've only used them a few times.

From Avis I had:

Cruze
      Ford C-Max Hybrid
      13 Dodge Charger
      13 Beetle

05-07-2013 03:00 PM #60
      Quote Originally Posted by TetsuoShima View Post

I rented from Budget on a trip to Puerto Vallarta a couple of years ago and experienced the same thing...I was paranoid to go anywhere in that car

11. 05-16-2013 09:24 AM #61
      I rent pretty much every week but wanted to wait until I had a non-standard rental to post. Got this from the hertz gold choice lot. My first time driving a Tacoma. I liked it quite a bit.

Sent from Ecto1

Vehicles
      '12 Yaris, '17 Corolla
      05-16-2013 10:09 AM #62
      Anybody used SIXT in the US, specifically Atlanta? They're about $100 less a week than the usual suspects.
      Improving the signal-to-noise ratio

Vehicles
      '04 Saab 9-3, '83 VW Rabbit
      05-28-2013 11:53 PM #63
      I've had quite a few lately.

Passat 3.6 - I really liked this car. Decent power and quite comfortable.

Big goddamn Ford - had this in Victoria last week. They had run out of small cars and this was all that Budget had left. Powerstroke with only 800km on the odometer. It was a bitch to park.

This week I'm in Volvo S80
      Sent from a place using a thing

Vehicles
      328D / TDI / LWB
      05-29-2013 12:29 AM #64
      Rented a 2013 VW Jetta 2.5 SE for a trip down to Oregon. Had the same car while in SanFran last summer. I'm a big fan of the new 2.5 engine.

No pictures, but I did make a Will Sasso-ish vine video.
      https://vines.s3.amazonaws.com/v/vid...Z6P7zRygyPH2a2

The good:

• 2.5 I5 makes sweet noises when you give it some pedal.
      • Aux input
      • Solid handling
      • Vtex leatherette smells good
      • bigass trunk!
      • Smooth 6-speed auto with tiptronic for fuel-wasting fun!
      • Loads of rear legroom
      • rear armrest!

The bad:

• The non-Monsoon stereo in my 2001 Jetta sounds better.
      • luggage crusher trunk hinges
      • Dash not strokable
      • Interior seems very dull

Rented a 2013 Dodge Journey for a trip from Seattle to Vancouver, BC. There were 5 of us with luggage, so it was a no-brainer.

I have to say I was really impressed with the new Pentastar V6 power and the interior was pretty darn good. The name "Journey" seems very appropriate; it's an excellent road trip vehicle.

Highs:

• Interior room (3 rows!)
      • Sweet instrument cluster
      • Cubbys and cupholders galore
      • Good touchscreen stereo with iPod integration and steering wheel controls
      • Comfortable driving position
      • Middle row seats recline!
      • Separate rear HVAC. Reminds me of my old Suburban
      • V6 Pah!

Lows:

• Looks like a Caravan after a year of estrogen supplements
      • Transmission is unwilling to kick down unless manual mode is selected
      • Rear seats must be forward for third row to fold flat- also headrests were hard to fold down.
      • No handsfree BT

Last edited by mikegilbert; 05-29-2013 at 12:34 AM.
      PM Travy℠ |flickr | mikegilbertphotography.com | Everything you need to know | » | Scratch-It™ | Vimeo
      Quote Originally Posted by emmettlodge View Post
      Great, a Chevy Lumina thread. Now I'm going to have an erection lasting more than four hours.
      #FREEPATRICKMAN

15. 05-29-2013 12:31 AM #65

+

=

Quote Originally Posted by Son View Post

Vehicles
      328D / TDI / LWB
      05-29-2013 12:34 AM #66
      ^
      PM Travy℠ |flickr | mikegilbertphotography.com | Everything you need to know | » | Scratch-It™ | Vimeo
      Quote Originally Posted by emmettlodge View Post
      Great, a Chevy Lumina thread. Now I'm going to have an erection lasting more than four hours.
      #FREEPATRICKMAN

Vehicles
      Ghetto35
      05-29-2013 02:22 PM #67
      Quote Originally Posted by gnavs View Post
      If you travel a lot for work and/or rent a lot of cars post up what you're renting, where you are and overall impressions.

Just got back from Whitehorse, Yukon where I had a Focus hatch for a couple days. Great car, very nimble.
      We just had a 6,300 mile '13 Fecus SE sedan while in Kauai for a week:

Pros:
      -mostly quiet
      -good fuel economy (30.4 for the week, we never got above 55mph)
      -exterior looks decent
      -water fording ability
      -tough subframes
      -nice looking wheels

Cons:
      -dual-clutch transmission (loud, clanky, stuttery, dim-witted, slow-to-shift, and just a lot worse than something with a torque converter)
      -while stopped and in drive/reverse, sometimes it coasted like it was in neutral and sometimes it didn't
      -ergonomics (steering wheel controls, specifically)
      -ride quality over road imperfections (rattle, clunk)
      -the headliner/sunroof seam was a 3/4" wide gap into nothing and other general crappy interior touches
      -dashboard by Nerf
      -traction control function on slippery 4x4 only roads makes the brakes smell overly bad

I'm sure some of the issues like clunky suspension and maybe the poorly-aligned headliner are due to this being a rental, but then again, it only had 6,300 miles. That said, I sure as hell can't say that I contributed to a lenghty life on any suspension or chassis components.

Vehicles
      '14 335i GT, '16 $46 Cruze
      06-08-2013 05:46 PM #68
      Just had an ATS for a quick hit 600 mile road trip. Love the ride, handling, and interior. Wouldn't buy it with the 2.5L, though I'm sure the 2.0T is much better.

| 2014 BMW 335i GT | 2016 $46 Chevy Cruze |

Vehicles
      2010 Prius, 2005 Citroën C4 Coupé VTS, Honda VFR 750F
      06-08-2013 06:19 PM #69
      My last rental was a 2011 Ford Flex Limited when me and my family traveled to Boston in June 2011.

Our flight arrived quite late, and when we got to the rental place (I think it was Dollar or National but I'm not sure) the car that we booked was rented out. The guy behind the counter said we could have any car we wanted so I pointed at the silver, brand new Flex that was there standing in the middle of the lot on a padestool and said "what about that one?" kinda jokingly but without blinking the guy got the keys and rounded it up for me!

I really loved everything about it, great interior, plenty of space, the 3,5 engine had more than enough power and smooth gearbox. I never really bothered checking the fuel economy and calculating liters vs mpg because the gas is sooo cheap for you guys but either the gastank is huge or it actually gets some decent mileage!

I don't know about what kinda trims these come in, all I know that it was a Limited and it had all the gadgets I could ever dream of. Full black leather seats, electric everything, DVD players/screens in the headrests, touch screen navigation, 19" wheels... Unfortunatly we don't get them over here and a car like that would be way to expensive for me after all the taxes and extra costs but if I could.. damn I'd get one in a heartbeat!

picture of actual car:

CANIS•CANEM•EDIT

20. 06-08-2013 07:59 PM #70
      2012 Chrysler 300 V6

good power
      comfy ride
      quiet
      comfy seats
      decent handling

world's worst shifter(TM): couldn't find the gear you wanted on the first or second try.. pushbutton shifters are a huge step up

underdamped suspension: nothing a set of bilsteins wouldn't cure

distracting touchscreen: climate controls & stereo controls & navigation all on one screen...very distracting to use on the fly...I wonder how many accidents it has caused...separate radio and climate controls with dials would be good

2013 Toyota Sienna minivan

good power
      good handling (for a van)
      comfort for 6 adults
      quiet
      good features: second row A/C controls, satelite radio, power sliding doors, etc.

cheap carpets: pilled badly even in an almost showroom-new van...floormats are a must
      It felt as wide as a Peterbilt from the driver's seat (deal killer)...and I've driven Peterbilts
      Last edited by peevish1; 06-08-2013 at 08:02 PM.

21. Member
      Vehicles
      2005 Nissan Altima
      06-08-2013 09:29 PM #71
      Quote Originally Posted by peevish1 View Post
      2012 Chrysler 300 V6

world's worst shifter(TM): couldn't find the gear you wanted on the first or second try.. pushbutton shifters are a huge step up
      Yep, they are the worst shifters.

I had a Sonata hybrid this past week. Absolutely terrible drive-train. Never again.

Vehicles
      2017 GTI SE
      06-09-2013 01:23 AM #72
      Had a new Passat in Florida for 5 days visiting my wife's grandparents. It was a base 2.5 but overall a comfortable place to be. We drove across the state to see a friend of hers and I have to say the people on I-4 have to be the worst drivers in the world. 60% of the traffic on the road was stacked up in the fast lane.

Vehicles
      2016 Audi A4/ 2015.5 Volvo XC-60/2005 BMW Z4
      06-09-2013 09:07 AM #73
      Just got back from Aruba where I rented what had to be the worst car ever. It was a Daihatsu Terios that in itself was not a bad car. The problem was that the one I got had over 70k miles on it, the suspension was non existent, and the ac was not working right. Called in for a swap that day. I got a Jeep Compass with over 44k miles it, check engine and 4wd warning lights illuminated. All this from National Car rental. You can be sure that they will be getting a letter of complaint from me about this.

BTW - both vehicles had dents and scrapes on ALL body panels.

Vehicles
      '14 335i GT, '16 $46 Cruze
      06-09-2013 10:11 AM #74
      Quote Originally Posted by BostonB6 View Post
      Just got back from Aruba where I rented what had to be the worst car ever. It was a Daihatsu Terios that in itself was not a bad car. The problem was that the one I got had over 70k miles on it, the suspension was non existent, and the ac was not working right. Called in for a swap that day. I got a Jeep Compass with over 44k miles it, check engine and 4wd warning lights illuminated. All this from National Car rental. You can be sure that they will be getting a letter of complaint from me about this.

BTW - both vehicles had dents and scrapes on ALL body panels.
      Welcome to renting vehicles in third world countries. I rented that same car (first one) from Budget in Costa Rica in similar condition. 66k km on the odometer, dents, suspension jarring the teeth out of my head, etc.
      | 2014 BMW 335i GT | 2016 $46 Chevy Cruze |

Vehicles
      '17 Golf R DSG, '12 Crosstour V6 AWD nav, '09 Civic Si 4d nav
      06-09-2013 10:23 AM #75
      Right now we have a '13 CR-V LX AWD as a loaner while my wife's Crossturd gets repaired.

Not very well-equipped, but holy crap it is fun to toss around. Good steering, brakes, and relatively short length makes it easy to drive quickly. I really like it.

It's also getting stellar MPG...like 29.4 with her driving.
      Past: '06 Accord V6, '95 Taurus SHO, '01 ITR, '98 Civic HX CVT

Quote Originally Posted by jamerican1
      Dude, you know you're like the opposite of a purist, right?

For advertising information click HERE

Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast