Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: The Rental Car Thread

Vehicles
      08 smart Fortwo, 14 Fiat 500L, 13 Ram 1500 Tradesman, 15 Fiat 500 Abarth Cabrio
      06-09-2013 10:45 AM #76
      Quote Originally Posted by BostonB6 View Post
      Just got back from Aruba where I rented what had to be the worst car ever. It was a Daihatsu Terios that in itself was not a bad car. The problem was that the one I got had over 70k miles on it, the suspension was non existent, and the ac was not working right. Called in for a swap that day. I got a Jeep Compass with over 44k miles it, check engine and 4wd warning lights illuminated. All this from National Car rental. You can be sure that they will be getting a letter of complaint from me about this.

BTW - both vehicles had dents and scrapes on ALL body panels.
      Except for the bigger islands, all of these places are franchsies. They get cars any which way and they dont care how well they are cared for.
      I rented from Avis in Antigua and this is what I got

A 12 year old Straight off the boat from Japan Toyota Noah. It had been smoked in for the last 11.9 years. It had a japanese nav and radio that I had no idea how to operate

Vehicles
      2011 VW GTI DSG
      06-09-2013 10:49 AM #77
      Quote Originally Posted by thegoose View Post
      I have to say the people on I-4 have to be the worst drivers in the world. 60% of the traffic on the road was stacked up in the fast lane.
      That is a Florida thing. I deal with it daily.

Vehicles
      2016 Audi A4/ 2015.5 Volvo XC-60/2005 BMW Z4
      06-12-2013 03:58 PM #78
      Quote Originally Posted by Chmeeee View Post
      Welcome to renting vehicles in third world countries. I rented that same car (first one) from Budget in Costa Rica in similar condition. 66k km on the odometer, dents, suspension jarring the teeth out of my head, etc.

Aruba isn't exactly a third world country. It's part of the kingdom of the Netherlands and is 32nd in the world for GDP.

Vehicles
      '14 335i GT, '16 $46 Cruze
      06-12-2013 04:10 PM #79
      Quote Originally Posted by BostonB6 View Post
      Aruba isn't exactly a third world country. It's part of the kingdom of the Netherlands and is 32nd in the world for GDP.
      And yet from everything I've seen they have third world style rental cars. I've never been there myself, but I was considering that for our honeymoon this year, and did look into the rental cars.
      | 2014 BMW 335i GT | The Orange Line | 2016 $46 Chevy Cruze |

5. 06-12-2013 06:34 PM #80
      I just turned in a 2013 Charger R/T with Blacktop Package and V8. I've never been a fan on the 300/Charger/Magnum cars, but after driving about 500 miles I've become a bit obsessed with the Charger. Still not sure I'd buy one, but they aren't bad at all. The one I had looked like this, but in white.

'15 MetroCard

Vehicles
      VWs & Audis
      06-12-2013 07:34 PM #81
      Quote Originally Posted by alexr18 View Post
      I just turned in a 2013 Charger R/T with Blacktop Package and V8. I've never been a fan on the 300/Charger/Magnum cars, but after driving about 500 miles I've become a bit obsessed with the Charger. Still not sure I'd buy one, but they aren't bad at all. The one I had looked like this, but in white.

Fun, I had some of the first gen v6's way back when but never a V8.

Had a loaded sonic turbo the other week. Pretty crazy the tech (touchscreen, seat heaters, etc) you can get on a sub compact these days. There was zero indication of a turbo being strapped to the engine other then that it was quicker the the N/A version.
      Dave

Vehicles
      9-3, CR-V
      06-13-2013 09:25 PM #82
      End of May ski trip to Colorado (A-Basin): AVIS was out of Escapes (which I wanted to test drive) and they substituted us with a Buick Encore with 1400 miles on it (and a nice dent/scratch on driver's door). I did not know much about them since I still consider Buicks old men's car.

Was pretty surprised by the interior comfort and pretty decent ride/handling besides being a little wobbly on bumps. Pretty toss-able and loaded with comfort features.

Only complaint about the car was the engine: 1.4T was very sluggish from a stop but once moving, acceleration was adequate. I am sure the turbo helped a lot driving in 12,000 ft of altitude. The same altitude probably contributed to slow off line acceleration even in Denver at >5,000 ft.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      06 VW GLI (sold), 98 Cherokee offroad toy, 00 Cherokee (DD), 08 Duramax, 91 GMC Syclone
      06-13-2013 11:16 PM #83
      Loaded V6 mustang while I am in California... It seems slow for 300hp...
      91 GMC Syclone-build in process
      98 Jeep Cherokee- Caged offroad toy
      00 Jeep Cherokee- Daily Driver
      06 Jetta GLI, APR stg2, lowered,... -->SOLD
      08 Duramax- Toy rig (474hp, 725ft-lbs)

Vehicles
      VWs & Audis
      06-13-2013 11:19 PM #84
      Quote Originally Posted by AndyG86 View Post
      Loaded V6 mustang while I am in California... It seems slow for 300hp...
      the auto sucks the life out of that car.
      Dave

Vehicles
      328D / TDI / LWB
      06-18-2013 08:10 PM #85
      Got a brand new 2014 Ford Explorer 4x4 V6 Limited for the week.

Love the interior- aside from the dust magnet smooth piano black Sony touch surface. Sync is pretty cool, but leaves me wanting some sort of tactile HVAC control. Sync has been smooth and interfaced well with my iPhone.

So far, I'm averaging ~17mpg on my commute.

PM Travy℠ |flickr | mikegilbertphotography.com | Everything you need to know | » | Scratch-It™ | Vimeo
      Quote Originally Posted by emmettlodge View Post
      Great, a Chevy Lumina thread. Now I'm going to have an erection lasting more than four hours.
      #FREEPATRICKMAN

Vehicles
      1994 Honda Prelude V-TAK
      06-18-2013 08:47 PM #86
      Renting a Kia Optima GDI for 2 weeks...only drove about 5 miles but I like everything so far. Looks identical to this:

12. Member
      Vehicles
      06 VW GLI (sold), 98 Cherokee offroad toy, 00 Cherokee (DD), 08 Duramax, 91 GMC Syclone
      06-18-2013 10:05 PM #87
      Quote Originally Posted by rs4-380 View Post
      the auto sucks the life out of that car.
      You are completely right! but it was still better then the impala they wanted to give me.

Google-->Patterson, CA to Evergreen, CA for a very fun road;driving by Frank Raines Park on route 130
      91 GMC Syclone-build in process
      98 Jeep Cherokee- Caged offroad toy
      00 Jeep Cherokee- Daily Driver
      06 Jetta GLI, APR stg2, lowered,... -->SOLD
      08 Duramax- Toy rig (474hp, 725ft-lbs)

Vehicles
      9-3, CR-V
      06-18-2013 10:15 PM #88
      Quote Originally Posted by AndyG86 View Post
      You are completely right! but it was still better then the impala they wanted to give me.

Google-->Patterson, CA to Evergreen, CA for a very fun road;driving by Frank Raines Park on route 130
      Reminds me of our visit to the FL Keys last year. Convertible was fun to drive in FL sun and power was adequate minus slow shifting.

Vehicles
      '12 Yaris, '17 Corolla
      06-19-2013 04:34 PM #89
      I got a 2.4-liter Tucson from Sixt in Atlanta last week (great experience, BTW, $132 for 5 days) and it redeemed Hyundai a little bit in my mind. Still not sure I'd own one for the long haul, though.

The engine was smooth, peppy and very quiet, and it had great throttle response in "normal" mode ("Eco" turned it into a frustrating dog). One small thing I noticed was that they have replaced the gritty, agricultural-sounding starter on the old 2.4 to a much smoother-sounding one on the current version.

It's clear H/K have done a lot of work on the suspension compared to the wallowy/bouncy one in our old '07 Sonata. It handled well, but there was a bit more body roll and "head toss" during quick maneuvers and when getting on/off the gas than I expected. Many reviewers have complained about this platform's suspension being too harsh, but it felt fine to me -- nice and firm.

The 6-speed transmission was excellent - very quick to respond and kick down when asked, with good gear ratios and a manumatic that obeyed pretty quickly and smoothly.

The only downsides were a passenger seat that was too high off the floor for my lady (caused sore knees), and it got only so-so MPG. I tried hypermiling it on some country roads on the way to our destination (100 miles±) and couldn't coax the average MPG to more than 28 MPG, so I just gave up, drove it like a rental car and ended up averaging 25 MPG. Putting 10 gallons in it to go 250 miles was kind of annoying when I realized the same amount in my Yaris would go 360 miles±!

Exactly like this one:
      Improving the signal-to-noise ratio

Vehicles
      2016 Audi A4/ 2015.5 Volvo XC-60/2005 BMW Z4
      06-19-2013 04:53 PM #90
      Wrote a very nice letter directly to CEO of Enterprise Holdings and CEO of National detailing my experience with National Aruba. I didn't ask for anything. Only detailed my experience and suggested that someone from corporate should take a look at what's going on with their vehicles in Aruba.

Should be interesting to the response I get.

BTW - for those of you that will scoff at writing directly to CEO's because they don't read them, I did the same when I was having recurring issues with a Whirlpool washer that was just out of warranty expressing my dismay that a washer would break down every 10-12 mos, requiring expensive repairs. Couple of months later, Whirlpool CEO's admin assistant contacted me directly and arranged delivery of an entirely new washer. Only condition was that they wanted the old one back for their engineers to tear apart to see why I was having the issues. Somebody does read these letters.

Vehicles
      328D / TDI / LWB
      06-22-2013 11:55 AM #91
      Just got back from an 800 mile trip. I've averaged ~17mpg. Disregard the 15.4- that was some city driving right before the reset.

I love the interior and the pano sunroof. The ambient lighting was a hit with the coeds.

PM Travy℠ |flickr | mikegilbertphotography.com | Everything you need to know | » | Scratch-It™ | Vimeo
      Great, a Chevy Lumina thread. Now I'm going to have an erection lasting more than four hours.
      #FREEPATRICKMAN

Western PA (currently), Southeastern New England
      Vehicles
      '08 Acura TL
      06-22-2013 12:32 PM #92
      ^ Which Ford is that?

Vehicles
      1994 Honda Prelude V-TAK
      06-22-2013 12:34 PM #93
      Does Avis have some sort of discount for long term rentals? I rent for 2-3 weeks at a time and am a preferred member but the prices are still pretty high.

Vehicles
      2015 Golf TDI
      06-22-2013 01:17 PM #94
      Quote Originally Posted by Lifelong Obsession View Post
      ^ Which Ford is that?
      Ford Explorer

Vehicles
      '08 135i, '00 4runner, '85 Huntsman (Toyota) RV
      06-30-2013 12:47 PM #95
      I was just thinking that we needed a thread like this.

I currently have a '13 Charger V6.

A few years ago I used to HATE getting a Dodge or Chrysler, but these days I don't mind them so much.

The engine in this thing is lacking a little on low end grunt, but it really comes into its own when you flog it. The transmission does a really good job of keeping you in the power band.

The interior isn't nearly as bad as they used to be. The seats could be better and the plastic trim around the gages is a little cheap looking, but overall it seems to be well put together. There's plenty of room for four adults to be comfortable, and the trunk is huge.

I'm just doing short trips (less than 10 minutes each way) with it right now so I'm only seeing about 12mpg. I'll reset it on my trip to the airport later in the week and see how it does on the highway.

Vehicles
      '08 135i, '00 4runner, '85 Huntsman (Toyota) RV
      06-30-2013 12:48 PM #96
      Quote Originally Posted by StL2.5 View Post
      Ford Explorer
      I recently had a Taurus that had a very similar layout. Looks like lots of shared parts between the two. I liked it a lot.

My biggest gripe was with the stereo controls. I'm generally ok with having the touch sensitive buttons, but those didn't work so well IMO.

Vehicles
      Toyota 4Runner SR5 V8 (4th Gen.)
      06-30-2013 02:04 PM #97
      I had a Yaris for a few days while at a job interview in British Columbia. It was white, four door, with an auto.

Things I liked:
      - surprisingly competent in the corners. Showed not a ton of understeer (although I never even came close to what I'd call flogging on it.)
      - Absurdly fuel efficient. I was averaging in the high 30's in mostly urban driving. (I have a fairly light foot)

Things I didn't like:
      - ergonomics
      - interior materials (reminded me of Boeing 737 coach class plastics - not good)
      - no power anywhere or anytime
      - so painfully boring in almost every capacity

Vehicles
      2016 RS GTI autobahn PP/LP/DCC 6MT, 2013 Tiguan SEL 4Mo
      06-30-2013 02:17 PM #98
      I just got back from a two day trip to ATL and had a 2013 Fusion SE 1.6T.

This car had the luxury pack with leather, auto dim mirrors and a few other goodies. No sunroof, no my ford touch though.

Overall it was nice: Steering feel was great and positive, brakes were firm and easy to modulate. Power seemed adequate, but the transmission was indecisive. Even in "S", it will downshift automatically, I would prefer a kick down switch where it would hold a gear if I wanted to just use the torque, rather than rev it out. l

Ride was on the supple side, but surprisingly it handles really well. Not floaty and it pulls out of corners nicely. Overall MPG was showing upper 28 range and I think I did 25 ish in all around town not being careful.

Annoyance are the aforementioned transmission. It shifts quickly, but I would like more control. The seat was lumpy and too soft, and needed more bolstering. I just could not get comfortable. The base radio was frustrating to use, much like the Focus. I would actually prefer MFT in this I think. The trunk lid seems to intrude a little even when fully open. I nearly knocked my head on the hinge, just seems like it should open more.

Overall, I'd put it near the top of my list for a mid/full size car. I think I would have a Passat V6 over it and it would be a tough call between this, the Passat and Accord. That's having not driven the 6 yet.

And it still looks gorgeous.

Vehicles
      Some Germans & some Brits.
      06-30-2013 03:31 PM #99
      My Range Rover was in the shop for about a month because the one day I decided to park in front of my house and not in the driveway it was side swiped by a drunk driver. Looking at the lot with available cars I noticed a Kia Optima Hybrid, black with beige interior. I walk in and ask about the KIA, the women begins to tell me it was just delivered that day and has 22 miles on it. SOLD. It was the "most interesting" car to me in the lot of V6 Mustangs, Altimas, Escapes and yes even a bright orange Camaro convertible. I choose the KIA because from the earlier days in KIA's life I hated them and wouldn't be caught dead in one or around one. Now things have changed with KIA itself as a company and they really have made a mark for themselves recently. So. I get in the car and instantly am impressed by the interior and its vastness of space. The sound system was spot on, from the outside it looked great, huuuuuuge trunk but the only thing I can say I did not like that was because of the battery size and placement the rear seats do not fold down. Big no no for me as I really do like the added space and feature of drop down seats in a sedan. Other then that minor feature I can get over and get a thule rack for I loved this car. I spent time maybe twice at the gas station. But 100% it is a great looking car. Props Kia.
      Defender.

Vehicles
      328D / TDI / LWB
      06-30-2013 07:19 PM #100
      Quote Originally Posted by justanotherusername View Post
      I recently had a Taurus that had a very similar layout. Looks like lots of shared parts between the two. I liked it a lot.

My biggest gripe was with the stereo controls. I'm generally ok with having the touch sensitive buttons, but those didn't work so well IMO.
      Agreed. I hear Ford is planning on going back to physical buttons and switches, which should address the lack of tactile feedback.
      #FREEPATRICKMAN

For advertising information click HERE

Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast