Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Links back to The Car Lounge (opens in same window)
    Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Well, I, uh, oh jeeze ... jumped off the deep end ... S4 Content Inside [56k Beware!]

Vehicles
      04 Audi S4 Avant 6MT
      03-04-2013 11:20 AM #1
      So, after selling my A4 back in September, followed by my Subaru kicking the bucket in October, I decided to consolidate back to a 1997 Honda Civic for a daily. Dirt cheap to insure, drive, and repair, I figured - what's the worst that can happen?

Well, for one thing, it's boring. God awfully boring. Not saying that is a bad thing, because it's just my commute car to take all the day to day bumps. But, after 6 months, it catches up to you. Maybe it's just cabin fever from the winter, but for whatever reason, I was getting super antsy a few weeks ago. I found out that I desperately missed the adrenaline release from owning a fun car to drive on the backroads, so I started looking around, made a budget, and decided on one of three cars:

• BMW 135i
      • B6 Audi S4 Avant
      • Honda S2000

After realizing that the BMWs were too expensive for what I wanted (a 10-12k mile/year, weekend/evening car) and not having a trusted BMW mechanic on call, I looked at the S2000s. I couldn't believe what people were asking for cars that are going on 13 years old these days and RWD made it absolutely impractical in all but the nicest of weather. I mean, why own a convertible in 300 rainy days/year Cleveland?

So, that left me with the elephant in the room. That awesome car Audi made but everyone ended up having horror stories about. CHAAAAAAIINNNNNSSSSS, anyone? LOL

Well, I started looking around and realized that nobody in the Northeastern US had an Audi I wanted to even consider buying and California was too f*cked up with pricing, so, as luck would have it, I saw a feeler ad in early January on this site and I instantly fell in love.

Nogaro Blue, 6speed Manual, Avant, and the Sport Alacantara interior. Yep .. miles were good, the pictures looked fantastic, and I instantly knew that it was the one for me.

So, I started talking with the guy. Original owner, dealer maintained, always garaged, always hand washed and the more I heard, the more I started getting anxious ... was someone else going to grab it? What have other people offered? What if it sells before I can secure my financing?

Well, I emailed the guy again, said I wanted it and asked what I needed to to do make it happen. He wanted a cash deposit and I had to wait until March to take delivery as he just ordered a brand new Ford Focus ST and it was still being built at the time.

So, next came the logistics. The only problem? It was in Austin, and I've never been to Texas. Guess it was time for another fly-to-buy trip with my most trusted companion. We did nearly the same trip back in November when we flew to Denver to pick up his Blue Lagoon GLI.

It was a great trip, aside from Nebraska and Iowa, so, I called him up, said I'd buy his plane ticket and, well, plans were hatched! Around this time, we noticed that the Grand Am race at the new Circuit of the Americas was the same weekend. Didn't take a genius to figure out where our minds were headed. So, we got some tickets ...

Well, it finally came time to leave snowy Cleveland, oh joy! On the way to the airport ... a blue STI and a blue Evo in a blue GLI to buy a blue S4 Avant ... da fuq? I guess this is some sort of wacked sign ...

Hoping that window is awfully strong ... goodbye Cleveburgistan!

At cruising altitude ... I think this was the first time I've seen sun in a month ... >.<

Still cloudy and cold in Atlanta for the connecting flight!

But, once we landed in Austin and were picked up, we were instantly greeted by a Ferrari 458, who did a high-RPM blast by us up into the Lake Travis area ...

And a couple Porches hauling ass down the road ...

But, finally we got to the owner's home in the Lake Travis area and wow, the views are spectacular around there. He pulled it out of the garage and I have to say, my first impressions were even better than the tons of photos he sent me before we left. This car is CLEAN! The Nogaro Blue just pops in the Texas sun ...

So, it was time to meet up with my cousins downtown for dinner and afterwards we decided to drive around to take in Austin's night life. What a fantastically amazing city. Everyone (including myself) always expects cactus and tumbleweeds, but Austin has a vibrant downtown, some amazing roads and hills southwest of the city, and just some god damn perfect asphalt.

The University of Texas Football Stadium ... wow, everything really IS bigger in Texas, haha.

So, we wake up the next morning to head to the Audi Corral at CotA. I didn't realize we'd be sharing the corral with the Porsche Club and the Corvette Club, so needless to say, it was packed full of some VERY nice cars.

The Audi Corral had a nice showing as well ... 3 R8s and quite a few S and RS models ...

First impressions of CotA:
      • It's HUGE ... TV doesn't even come close to giving this track justice.
      • Turn #1 is so far above the main straight and grandstands it's unbelievable; 100+ feet of elevation change.
      • The Turn #1 Grandstands are the place to be. Besides being in the front row for any spin outs, the hard left hander is a HUGE downshift and upshift invironment where the sounds are just AMAZING!

So, we went down and did the pit walk prior to the Continental Series Race and wow, these guys are a class act. Love it.

Some, um, not-so-legal modifications ... haha.

After the race, we decided to to the tower ... 230+ feet above the track, full views of the whole thing, and wow, when that wind blows, that tower starts to sway. Haha. The glass floor was especially disconcerting.

So, with the Grand Am race over, it was time to head to Dallas to see a friend briefly and then off to Texarkana to spend the night. We hit up the Texas High Five while we were there ... what an engineering marvel, but none of our pictures came out. Oh well, mental pictures are better, haha.

One of the best parts about Texas - 80mph limits and traffic moving near 90mph. Awesome!

The Dallas Skyline at night.

Good stuff!

So, after a short 6-hour hotel stop in Texarkana (where we picked up some Coors to take back to Atlanta, just kidding, but bonus points to those who get the reference!), we headed off back to the OH-IO.

A very sunny morning in Arkansas, which is actually far more scenic than I ever realized. The flora reminds me of South Carolina with the short run offs and the trees in the medians.

Finally made it across the Mississippi River and back to the Eastern United States. Hello Memphis!

I wish we could've stopped in Nashville for some Jack's BBQ, but we had to keep moving. With work Monday, yeah, couldn't afford to lose a lot of time.

Still sunny at the Kentucky/Tennessee border ...

... and Louisville!

Hmmm ... clouds on the Horizon ... must be getting close to Ohio ...

And it was cloudy when we got back into Ohio (of course). Short stop with a few friends for the best burgers in all of Ohio at Terry's Turf Club ... and another driver change ... 11 hours down, 3.5 to go!

Getting closer to Cleveland ...

Finally home after 1500+ long miles ... I can say, without a shred of doubt, that this car is everything - and more - than I wanted it to be. 4.2L V8, 6MT, Blue Alacantara trimmed sport seats ... and a sound that can wake the gods :-D

Vehicles
      04 Audi S4 Avant 6MT
      03-04-2013 11:25 AM #2

/Obligatory ... haha

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan, 1982 Alfa Spider, Cannondale R700
      03-04-2013 11:25 AM #3
      Avant, nogaro, manual?

CLICK HERE to vote for my LEGO Front Loader Garbage Truck project on LEGO Ideas!

Vandelay Industries - Specializing in Latex since 1992.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      1973 Datsun 240z, 1974 Datsun 260z, 1983 Datsun 280zx Turbo, 2005 Mini Cooper S, 2001 Jeep Wrangler
      03-04-2013 11:25 AM #4
      Love the Avant!

My friend just picked an 01 up.

Videos?!!

03-04-2013 11:27 AM #5
      Nice find! Sounds like one of those perfect finds where everything thing you want in the car is exactly as it should be

And I picture loaded threads!

Interesting how an S4 Avant owner decides to move to a Focus ST

Vehicles
      97 Miata
      03-04-2013 11:30 AM #6
      write up.

Vehicles
      2013 TSX, 2014 JKU Willys, 2011 Zuma 125
      03-04-2013 11:31 AM #7
      awesome, awesome car...one of my favorites, but besides TLC 's horror stories of issues I have had two close friends that have well maintained examples that make my boating hobby look cheap so Ive never considered one...none the less I dont blame you, sounds like you had a great time..good luck with the new ride

Vehicles
      2.15678L 16V ABA, SN 95 Mustang V8, 2013 Frontier V6
      03-04-2013 11:32 AM #8
      In for latter reading!
      Quote Originally Posted by Preppy View Post
      On a scale from flaming bag of dog poop to drunken sex with a hot stripper... your car is a case of herpes from a girl you picked up at wal mart.

Marine Park/Ozone Park NYC - Current Cars: - '12 Honda Odyssey '14 Autobahn/Nav GLI 6 M/T '01 Accord
      Vehicles
      Previous Cars: '10 Subaru Outback MT '08 BMW 328XI 6MT '08 GTI 6MT '07 Rabbit 5MT - '96 Corolla
      03-04-2013 11:36 AM #9
      so much win! For a second i thought someone bumped a thread from 2002 with the "56K beware" bit! congrats on the stunning car!

03-04-2013 11:43 AM #10
      nice, how many miles? Any chain rattle on cold starts? Did you do a compression test? What's oil consumption like?

Vehicles
      IY 3590; 2007 SRX
      03-04-2013 11:46 AM #11
      Awesome thread is awesome. Need to procure some friends like you.

BTW, come stay in Austin for a week in August and tell me how nice it is then
      Big Bopper to March Hare..We're still in the game okay? Understand this, that scag, and his floozy....They're gonna die!

Vehicles
      04 Audi S4 Avant 6MT
      03-04-2013 11:47 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by AudiA4_18T View Post
      nice, how many miles? Any chain rattle on cold starts? Did you do a compression test? What's oil consumption like?
      1. Picked it up with 79,500 Miles ... got home last night with a little over 81,000
      2. Chain rattle is extremely brief (less than a second) ... which is completely normal for the 2004s around this age ... it only does it on a cold start and less than 3 seconds, so it passes muster
      3. No compression test done. I'll get around to doing one in a month or two, but I'm not overly worried.
      4. Used less than a half of a quart on the 1500 mile drive home, which is again, within spec. This included quite a few runs to red line getting on freeways and on-ramps. It had a good road test coming home.
      5. Motor looks and sounds healthy and pulls strong ... clutch is still in great shape and holds great.
      6. Suspension is free of squeaks, rattles, and noises ... also very healthy.
      7. Tires are near brand new.

Vehicles
      BMW X5 4.8 Sport, Imola 20th
      03-04-2013 11:52 AM #13
      Excellent car, excellent thread.

Vehicles
      2001 Jetta GLS TDi, 2001 Audi S4, 2001 Audi TT 225
      03-04-2013 11:54 AM #14
      Saw the original for sale thread for this car... wish I would have acted sooner.

Glad to see you made a write up of your trip back, it looked like a great time.

I really love that car, congrats to you sir.

Vehicles
      2010 BMW 528i
      03-04-2013 11:58 AM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by seadoo2006 View Post
      And it was cloudy when we got back into Ohio (of course). Short stop with a few friends for the best burgers in all of Ohio at Terry's Turf Club ... and another driver change ... 11 hours down, 3.5 to go!

The best and sloppiest for sure. Pleasant surprise upon moving here. Your car looks great, I admire your bravery to take on B6 S4 ownership.
      Quote Originally Posted by DamienR8 View Post
      in 2038 you will have the ability to think of a car, then your body will actually turn into a car, then you will die in an accident.

Vehicles
      02 330i, 09 Flex, 01 Wrangler
      03-04-2013 11:59 AM #16
      Very nice, I drove that model S4 when they came out and you couldn't wipe the smile off my face. Just out of curiosity how often does that chain need serviced? I mean isn't that the point in having a chain instead of a belt?

Vehicles
      2009 BMW 128i Sport, 2013 Volvo S60 T5, 2001 BMW 740i M-Sport
      03-04-2013 12:00 PM #17
      Congrats!

Vehicles
      04 Audi S4 Avant 6MT
      03-04-2013 12:00 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by TangoRed View Post
      The best and sloppiest for sure. Pleasant surprise upon moving here. Your car looks great, I admire your bravery to take on B6 S4 ownership.
      It's one of my bucket-list cars ... The opportunity arose, so I jumped on it. I've done the VR6 GTI, the WRX-EJ205 Swapped GC8 Impreza, and a B6 Audi before ... one more checked off on my ever growing list ...

As I said, we'll see in a year or two how I feel, but if it's anything like the past couple days have been, this car is a real treat. Already have it lined up to get a new Corsa exhaust installed Friday, and the RNS-E kit is going in the following week with the Bluetooth/AD2P module.

Quote Originally Posted by 01tj View Post
      Very nice, I drove that model S4 when they came out and you couldn't wipe the smile off my face. Just out of curiosity how often does that chain need serviced? I mean isn't that the point in having a chain instead of a belt?
      By factory specs, it's a lifetime chain. In real life, it just depends on the car. I've seen them need to be changed prior to 80k and I've seen them last for 230k+ miles. It's just the luck of the draw and how the car was maintained by the owner. I'd say a good estimate is around 120-150k they usually start to need servicing.

Vehicles
      Junk
      03-04-2013 12:14 PM #19
      Congrats. Beautiful car.

Vehicles
      E46 M3, XJ Cherokee
      03-04-2013 12:18 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by dieselraver View Post
      For a second i thought someone bumped a thread from 2002 with the "56K beware" bit!
      this. It's 2013 for gods sake.

21. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '67 rolls royce, '67 mgb gt, '13 tdi, '14 glk350
      03-04-2013 12:27 PM #21
      awesome
      my favorite color/interior combo

03-04-2013 12:34 PM #22
      1. Picked it up with 79,500 Miles ... got home last night with a little over 81,000
      2. Chain rattle is extremely brief (less than a second) ... which is completely normal for the 2004s around this age ... it only does it on a cold start and less than 3 seconds, so it passes muster
      3. No compression test done. I'll get around to doing one in a month or two, but I'm not overly worried.
      4. Used less than a half of a quart on the 1500 mile drive home, which is again, within spec. This included quite a few runs to red line getting on freeways and on-ramps. It had a good road test coming home.
      5. Motor looks and sounds healthy and pulls strong ... clutch is still in great shape and holds great.
      6. Suspension is free of squeaks, rattles, and noises ... also very healthy.
      7. Tires are near brand new.
      Perfect. Less than 1/2 in 1500 miles is better than the factory even says is "normal" I believe. Sounds like you got a winner man.

Vehicles
      '11 MBZ C300 4MAT, '00 S4, '99 A4 2.8QM
      03-04-2013 12:36 PM #23
      Beautiful ride dude!
      Signature blank...

24. Member
      Vehicles
      '05 S2000, '90 CRX
      03-04-2013 12:39 PM #24
      Nice ride! I enjoyed the read. I'm hesitant on buying cars much less flying across the country to get one!

Big balls.

Vehicles
      04 Audi S4 Avant 6MT
      03-04-2013 01:02 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.0T_Convert View Post
      Nice find! Sounds like one of those perfect finds where everything thing you want in the car is exactly as it should be

And I picture loaded threads!

Interesting how an S4 Avant owner decides to move to a Focus ST
      Him and his wife are actually UK Ex-Pats and decided to get something a little more practical for himself as a daily. His kids are nearing the driving age and he wanted to cut down on the cost of fuel a bit.

The guy owned two Sciroccos while he lived in the UK and bought a Corrado G60 when he moved to the US some 20 years ago, haha.

This guy loves cars and that Focus looks and drives incredibly well. I was talking to him about it for a while and the new ST just pushes all the right buttons for him now that they are Euro-designed and have the boosted four cylinder.

Quote Originally Posted by OldAndyAndTheSea View Post
      Love the Avant!

My friend just picked an 01 up.

Videos?!!
      I'll do a couple videos when the new exhaust is installed!

Vehicles
      2014 FG4
      03-04-2013 01:11 PM #26
      Great trip OP, great trip.
      Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
      TCLers bitching about braking performance being subpar on a track is laughable. Most of you wouldn't have a pair of stones big enough or the skills to fade the brakes on a Prius.

In before the autocross brigade of armchair quarterbacks chime in.

Vehicles
      2 Corrados, G35S Sedan, Z71,
      03-04-2013 01:13 PM #27
      Great car, great color!

28. 03-04-2013 01:24 PM #28
      AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA

I wish I could bring up all the posts where you speak of how terrible your experience was with your A4. But you bought another one, that is probably worse!!!!

Anyways, I just felt like I had to give you some **** for that. The car looks absolutely stunning.

Vehicles
      2007 GTI, 2005 TSX
      03-04-2013 01:28 PM #29
      These are the kinds of threads that make me enjoy TCL; we need more like them.

Congrats on the purchase. I do love a good road-trip-buy-a-car-sight-unseen story, having done a few myself. Glad you got to see some sunlight along the way. I forget what that is like.

Vehicles
      emkayyy vee two point oh tee (daily) 1973 Superbeetle (toy)
      03-04-2013 01:49 PM #30
      Wow, good find. Hopefully I will win the lottery and own one of these someday
      Quote Originally Posted by nm+ View Post
      This is why Gen Y is really unhappy. Late 90s/Early 2000s small turbo motors. They're like crack and slightly more expensive.

instagram: driver_found_

Vehicles
      2008 BMW 550i ...................... 2011 Mazda CX-9
      03-04-2013 01:54 PM #31
      Outstanding! I dare saw the Nogaro avant is the most highly coveted B6 configuration out there. Great find.
      I recognize a few cars from the Audi corral at the race as being local to DFW.
      I still miss my B6 S4. Despite its occasional headaches (and there were a few, but nothing extreme), it was an awesome car.

32. Senior Member FlashRedGLS1.8T's Avatar
      03-04-2013 01:56 PM #32
      Nice, seadoo!

Very clean.

Vehicles
      2008 BMW 550i ...................... 2011 Mazda CX-9
      03-04-2013 02:00 PM #33
      So, after a short 6-hour hotel stop in Texarkana (where we picked up some Coors to take back to Atlanta, just kidding, but bonus points to those who get the reference!)

34. Member
      Vehicles
      20GLGT5MT, Buell
      03-04-2013 02:09 PM #34
      Hope this S4 ownership thread goes better than the last thread about buying a used S4. And better than your A4 ownership.

Keep as updated and good jorb on the manual AWD wagon choice! Color is great to boot!

03-04-2013 02:19 PM #35
      So, the question everyone was waiting to ask. Did you cover your Civic in like 3 lbs of Cocaine? Because there is no snow anywhere near the car and it doesn't look like snow

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast