Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: So the wife and I are thinking of relocating.

Vehicles
      99 Cabrio
      03-04-2013 02:13 PM #1
      So my wife and I are thinking of relocating back to the states from Germany. I grew up in New England and moved to Germany with my wife 2 years ago. Im not convinced I like it here yet. I suggested we move somewhere tropical because I hate the cold. She works in the hotel industry so I am hoping she could find a job relativity easy. Me on the other hand is a little tougher. I have worked in retail all my life except a few years I worked as a mechanic. Doing smaller jobs. So I wont even call myself a mechanic. I work in Germany for a small IT company, so as you can see I can do just about anything. Where would you guys suggest we look if we do decide to really do this.

Vehicles
      2012 Mk6 GTI CW, '98 B5 PASSAT (Broken), 2006 VW Jetta 2.5
      03-04-2013 04:27 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by goneeuro View Post
      So my wife and I are thinking of relocating back to the states from Germany. I grew up in New England and moved to Germany with my wife 2 years ago. Im not convinced I like it here yet. I suggested we move somewhere tropical because I hate the cold. She works in the hotel industry so I am hoping she could find a job relativity easy. Me on the other hand is a little tougher. I have worked in retail all my life except a few years I worked as a mechanic. Doing smaller jobs. So I wont even call myself a mechanic. I work in Germany for a small IT company, so as you can see I can do just about anything. Where would you guys suggest we look if we do decide to really do this.
      Well if you're not that picky you should be able to get a job easy. Hmmm. There are plenty jobs here in Oahu but before you decide to move start looking for jobs first. Here are some good sites to look at.. www.nafjobs.com and www.usajobs.com

maotsetung

Vehicles
      99 Cabrio
      03-04-2013 05:02 PM #3
      I'm not picky at all. Ha. She is nervous because she's heard a lot about crime there. Here in Munich there is no crime. I'm used to living near boston, she grew up on Munich. I wanted to get opinions of what people thought of living on the islands.

Vehicles
      06 Passat
      03-04-2013 05:29 PM #4
      Just like any city or state you have you good neighbor hoods, and your bad ones. I grew up here all my life & never had problems. If you go looking for trouble, trouble will find you! As for jobs, its best you start looking. Hawaii is a expensive place to live, so do some research before making the move (employment/location u moving to etc). Just to give you an idea, go on craigslist & look into rentals to see how much you would be paying to rent a place. GL
      Team.Foreign.Objects Est.2003
      Its not a Fad, Its a LIFESTLYE!

Broken Promises

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2008 audi tt, 2005.5 vw jetta 2.5l, 1980 vw caddy 16v
      03-05-2013 02:09 AM #5
      The island is small so living somewhere a little further for cheaper isnt a big deal but you have to realize the traffic pattern am in town and pm out of town but if you work really early and i mean 5am and earlier traffic is not an issue anywhere

Vehicles
      99 Cabrio
      03-05-2013 05:04 PM #6
      Thanks for the info guys. Any areas you would recommend to look in. Or not look in. Like I said above, she is in the hotel industry. Front office manager to be more specific. So we have to find a place near hotels. Or resorts I guess. Our plan is her find a job first and then an apartment. Then I can take what ever I could find until I find a more permanent spot doing IT work somewhere.

7. 03-05-2013 05:07 PM #7
      Orlando, Fl
      lots of resorts and plenty of IT jobs

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
      2012 MKVI GTI, APR Stage II, 42DD Resonated Catless Downpipe, Southbend Cryo'd Stage II Endurance Clutch, Diesel Geek Short Shifter, K&N drop in.

Vehicles
      06 Passat
      03-05-2013 06:32 PM #8
      Try look into Salt Lake or Makiki area (apartments). Majority of the hotels are in Waikiki about a 15-20 min drive fromt Makiki area. Best bet like I mentioned try going on Craigslist and typing in about how much you want to pay for rent. The further out you move from the city (town) the cheaper it gets but the drive/traffic can be a headace!
      Team.Foreign.Objects Est.2003
      Its not a Fad, Its a LIFESTLYE!

Broken Promises

9. Member
      Vehicles
      03-06-2013 12:55 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by 808Bora View Post
      Try look into Salt Lake or Makiki area (apartments). Majority of the hotels are in Waikiki about a 15-20 min drive fromt Makiki area. Best bet like I mentioned try going on Craigslist and typing in about how much you want to pay for rent. The further out you move from the city (town) the cheaper it gets but the drive/traffic can be a headace!
      i think you can find in town pretty cheap apartments but parking is horrible and apartments dont come with parking spots unless you pay extra. so if you enjoy working on a car i would not suggest living in town but like he said maybe salt lake or mikiki. If you want to work in town id suggest living before the merge on H201 and H1 thats where most of the traffic gets backed up

Vehicles
      99 Cabrio
      03-06-2013 07:01 AM #10
      Traffic is not a big deal as Munich is one of the worst citys in Europe with trafic. Seems like a 1 bedroom goes for around 1200. Is that right?

11. Member
      Vehicles
      03-06-2013 10:25 PM #11
      Traffic is not a big deal as Munich is one of the worst citys in Europe with trafic. Seems like a 1 bedroom goes for around 1200. Is that right?
      yeah in town sounds about right but every now and then you can find 2 bed room for 1300

12. Junior Member Kurupt_hawaiian's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2010 2dr GTI 6MT/2007 Audi A4 2.0T 6MT
      03-10-2013 06:09 PM #12
      I've been to Munich, I use to live in Bamberg... O'ahu has much ****tier traffic!
      Elias

MKVI GTI 2dr Deep Black Metallic 6MT

13. 03-14-2013 02:42 AM #13
      Be ready for the highest cost of living in the country. Rent for any decent place will be 2K+ a month,anything less will be "substandard" for sure. I make 6 figures and still blown away how much stuff costs.
      Average price of homes is 650K+ now,and is predicted to be 800-850K+ by 2015 if the trends in real estate are consistent.
      Be ready to pay a lot for the nicest weather on earth!

Vehicles
      1984 GLi 20v, '13 335is, '85 Golf, '10 Ninja
      03-14-2013 09:33 PM #14
      nicest weather, worst roads, horrible traffic, everything is over priced, **** is hard to come by, no tracks, but....no emissions nothing is "far", if your into retail or tourism your golden. like any place, its all about what you want. may not be the place for you, it may be perfect. visit first. don't do the tourist thing, go sit in traffic, do some interviews, etc

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
      :HOMEGROWN MOTORSPORTS:1:4.9 SuaSponte #13Dead Rabbits. Ungluck on IG
      Quote Originally Posted by frechem View Post
      I like my women how I like my whiskey; aged 18 years and mixed up with coke.