Has anyone had any luck having their leather seats recovered? Does anyone have any advice for having them recovered? Are their covers that fit these seats perfectly? Thanks in advance.
This drove me nuts. The very cheapest option for seatcovers I found that fit well were the Coverking leatherette @ $250 for the front seats, real leather running $500. I tried universals and they just look like crap. I priced getting them re-upholstered and the cheapest place I could find wanted $575 for Leatherette and $975 for Leather... One shop wanted $900 for leatherette and I almost slapped the guy upside the head.
I got lucky though and found same color seats at a pic and pull that were still used but nearly as bad as mine. I bought them for $50 apiece - took a utility knife and cut swatches from my old seats and plan to patch wherever i can. Good luck man.
Hi all! First post!
mmmm the fibrous skin on my leather seats begs to differ.
mk3 front end removal DIY
Follow us on Instagram @statusfaction
The factory seats should be real leather but you can get aftermarket seat covers that are meant to replace the factory ones not just cover them. The aftermarket ones can be leatherette/vynal or leather depending on what you want to pay for. If you can find someone to recover a set of seats for $900 you're an idiot if you don't take that price we usually will recover a set of seats for $1200-$1500 depending on the options you choose.
Factory seats have leather inserts (the middle sections) but are mostly leatherette (sides, back, etc).
First post, I hope I do it right.
I bought a GLX for cheap from a friend because I needed a daily beater. I wasn't willing to spend much money to repair the seats but I hate messed up interiors. Aftermarket covers suck, especially that sliding around on leather. So I took the whole thing apart to see what I can fix.
This helped: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...repair-rebuild
I think with fabric and foam from a upholstery outlet and 3M adhesive and leather glue my total was around $30. Probably not a way everybody wants to go, but good enough for me.
I recommend swapping the cushions with the passenger seat. The side bolsters seem to be a weak spot. So I added a layer of felt on top of the foam and underneath to prevent the metal frame to rub through again. Other than that there where just a few cracks where the seat heater wire burnt into the foam. Made the whole are look worse than it actually was. Pretty easy to fix too.
Not a DIY but a few photos I took during the process.