Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Wedding video with a dslr, Nikon d600

Vehicles
      91 Audi D11 V8, 71 Super, 07 E320 Bluetec, 05.5 Jetta 2.5
      03-16-2013 04:32 PM #1
      Hello all.
      I know there is a videography forum, but as I am using a DSLR, I thought this would be a better place to ask.

Anywho,
      Semi distant relative is getting married, and I am invited. They got a pro photographer to do the wedding, but nobody to do any video.
      I am going to be spending the weekend there, doing things other than the wedding, its in NY, and would be bringing my camera along.

I ordered a rode videomic shotgun microphone, good timing for the wedding, but I plan on keeping it for when we travel as a family.
      I have an abundance of large memory cards, and will most likely have my laptop with me as well.

Only lens I have for the d600 is a 24-120 F/4 and a 50 1.8.
      The wedding is going to be in a club, that is black tie, so there most likely wont be too much great light.

If I were to rent a lens or two, any suggestions?

2. Member
      03-16-2013 06:48 PM #2
      you might be ok with lenses but I'd look at getting an LED array panel for a light source if you know it's going to be dark in the space. They can be had pretty cheap on Amazon.

Vehicles
      03-17-2013 02:15 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by synthsis View Post
      you might be ok with lenses but I'd look at getting an LED array panel for a light source if you know it's going to be dark in the space. They can be had pretty cheap on Amazon.
      considered this, but have been asked not to use a flash, so I dont mess with the photographers work
      honestly, dont know what they want, but it could be a learning experience, and I dont think they expect too much

Vehicles
      2000/VW/MK4 Jetta
      03-17-2013 08:34 PM #4
      So are they expecting you to do the videography as in you will be making their wedding video? Or are you just offering to do a little video since they don't have anybody specifically for it? I guess it depends on their expectations. As a distant relative doing anything for free, they shouldn't expect much.

Since it will be dark environment in a possible dimly lit club/lounge atmosphere I would suggest something fast and semi-wide. If you can rent a f/2.8 UWA that would be good and you'll probably end up using your 50mm a lot (30mm range might be a little better for tight spots). If your high ISO performance is good you could just get by with the 24-120.

Vehicles
      03-17-2013 11:49 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by bluebora20v View Post
      So are they expecting you to do the videography as in you will be making their wedding video? Or are you just offering to do a little video since they don't have anybody specifically for it? I guess it depends on their expectations. As a distant relative doing anything for free, they shouldn't expect much.

Since it will be dark environment in a possible dimly lit club/lounge atmosphere I would suggest something fast and semi-wide. If you can rent a f/2.8 UWA that would be good and you'll probably end up using your 50mm a lot (30mm range might be a little better for tight spots). If your high ISO performance is good you could just get by with the 24-120.
      Honestly, not quite sure what they were expecting, as I was only bringing the camera for the time I will be spending roaming the streets of NY.
      My understanding is that through a series of miscommunications, they are under the assumption that I am going to video tape their wedding, but as long as I dont get in the photographers way.

Its my second cousin, so maybe he is not too distant, but to me, close family is parents children and grandparents, and maybe aunts and uncles, but that does not help my dilemma.

From the photos I have seen of the place, they are both well and poorly lit, but as there is going to be traditional reception most likely it wont be too dark.

As I have a calumet very close to me, I was thinking of picking up a 24-70 or a 17-35. Rented a 17-35 once for trip, and really liked it.
      Then there is the option of going something fixed, like a 24 28 or 35. As you all know the 50 is a great piece of glass and all, but sometimes, especially when in a confined space, the 50mm is too much.

Also, as I will be in a tux, I dont want to have too much in my pockets, and I dont think this place will be to accommodating for my backpack

Vehicles
      2000/VW/MK4 Jetta
      03-19-2013 04:18 AM #6
      Hmm, sounds like you are getting pulled into something that you really shouldn't be.

I think doing it because you want to is one thing, but feeling obligated to because of miscommunication is another. You are already spending time and money traveling to their wedding to spend time with family. You shouldn't have to spend your time there behind a camera just because you are family. It may be a learning experience for you but it doesn't sound like a great situation for either you or the bride and groom. I would say it's better to recommunicate your intentions with the family and/or back out completely.

However, that is really your decision and this is a photography forum! I would suggest packing light with one or two lenses max and renting a steady arm. There is a potential for your gear to be stolen at the wedding so you don't want to leave it around.

Vehicles
      14' StingRay, 71' Malibu, 03' Envoy, 05' Honda VTX, 97' C'Dale 900 Killer V, 90' C'Dale SR800
      03-19-2013 10:49 AM #7
      Does the Paid Wedding Photographer know there will be a Videographer there shooting the wedding as well? Might want to inform him / her. My .02

Vehicles
      03-27-2013 05:06 PM #8
      Now that was an interesting experience.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Looking back at it, as steadycam would have been a good idea, but I did not feel like paying 700 just for this one time, and the hand held accessories I had would have been of no use.

Quote Originally Posted by bluebora20v View Post
      Hmm, sounds like you are getting pulled into something that you really shouldn't be.
      Yes, this I figured out during drinks with the family after the rehearsal dinner. Groom pulls me to the side, tells me the things it would be great if I documented, then the mother adds the elements she would like to see.
      They both made it clear, they wanted me seated during the ceremony, so I just filmed from my chair.

A light would have been a good idea. However, groom informed me everything was lit amazingly, not exactly the case, and if I had a led panel out during the speeches at the wedding, id be ruining it for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by CruznMalibu View Post
      Does the Paid Wedding Photographer know there will be a Videographer there shooting the wedding as well? Might want to inform him / her. My .02
      No, they did not mention it to the guys.
      There were two of them, both shooting with D4s, pricey glass, and an interesting flash mount that the spun around the lens itself.

One of them was confused for a little while, until he was standing behind me, looking at what I was doing, and then noticed that I was in life view video mode. then they winked at me a couple times as we passed each other, but I stayed out of their way.

Yes, this was all way over my head, as this was the first time me filming anything for about 7-10 years, but they had not gotten a video guy, and were not planning on paying for one, im assuming, I never actually asked, but usually you dont book a guy less than 2 weeks before a wedding.

I used the 24-120 during the ceremony, as I was sitting in the second row isle, and the 50 for everything else with how little light there was.

Again, thanks to everyone for the suggestions. All thats left now is to find out if they want me to make an actual edited video, or just the raw footage, and go find an editing program

Vehicles
      Four Rings, 2006 Passat 2.0t Sold, 2004.5 Jetta GLI (Sold)
      03-30-2013 03:27 PM #9
      I am glad everything worked out for you. Here is my question, Isn't the recording time limited to i believe 20-30 mins at a time on the d600 so did u have to record for 20 mins stop and then start recording again? or is there a work around for this? i only ask as i will be upgrading to this camera shortly.

Vehicles
      03-31-2013 02:38 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by shottabwoy5 View Post
      I am glad everything worked out for you. Here is my question, Isn't the recording time limited to i believe 20-30 mins at a time on the d600 so did u have to record for 20 mins stop and then start recording again? or is there a work around for this? i only ask as i will be upgrading to this camera shortly.
      yes, but if you plan on editing anything, its easier to work with shorter clips.
      the only thing that could possible last longer than 20 minutes at the wedding is the ceremony.

the longest clip I ended up with was 15/16 minutes long