Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MK5 R32 VS Golf R

Vehicles
      2001 B5.5 Passat 4motion/04Touareg V8/MK5 R32
      03-19-2013 01:53 PM #1
      This actually happened this last weekend, when I went and test drove the new R

Pull into the dealer with my TR MK5 R32, got out of the car and I walked towards the R. After checking it out for a few minutes and having no one approach me, I went inside the dealer and asked for someone in sales.

Sales guy: Hi, how can I help you

Me: I would like to take a look at the new R

Sales guy: Well, we have 2 of them, the red one parked up front and the black one all they way to the back.

Me: The red one is actually mine, and it's an R32 not an R

Sales guy: Really? I though that was ours, and I could have sworn it was the new R, what's an R32 anyways?

Me: The previous version of the R

Sales guy: ohhhhhhh

anyways going to what matters, how does the Golf R compare to the MK5 R32.

First it's looks: I think it looks great, subtle but great just like previous R's the dealer had 2 R's both of them black a 2 door and a 4 door. Now I may be criticized for this but to me even though the R looks great it doesn't feel as refined as previous R models and same is the story with the inside. sure it has leather seats, sure it has Nav, sure it has heated seats and Xenon headlights but overall I just didn't feel that I was in a very special car, was I in a special car, yes but not as special as previous R models. So far I wasn't that impressed by it.

Now to the test drive, I loved the test drive, loved it with one exception... the growl of the VR6. The new R felt faster, more agile and nimble and less nose heavy, which made it under steer far less than previous models. Consumption was better than previous models, unless you drive it like a hooligan.

Overall I liked the new R but was a little disappointed by it, sure it has all the equipment that you expect on the R, and sure it faster than previous R's and you can also mod it far easier and cheaper than previous models, but somehow it just did not feel as special and refined as previous models. Would I buy one? sure, once my Mk5 R23 is completely dead.

What's everyone's thoughts?

2. Member
      03-19-2013 02:14 PM #2
      someone once told me that my MK5 Door is better than the whole new GoRf

Vehicles
      03-19-2013 02:26 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by Na2eL View Post
      someone once told me that my MK5 Door is better than the whole new GoRf

Vehicles
      3.2 electric boogaloo bitches
      03-19-2013 02:39 PM #4
      My wife would be driving a 4 door DSG equipped model if it was available now.

2.0 with DSG = funzo.
      WITW2014 UNIbrace

5. Member
      03-19-2013 03:17 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo4motion View Post
      actually that was in front of VW Sales at VW showroom and no one could argue with him, his point was that the .:R is a very special car that is known for its quality and most important VR6 noise..

he said the Gorf is faster but then what lol, if its just about going faster then why to buy .:R in first place?

6. Member
      Vehicles
      Widebody 08 VW R32 Turbo | 2013 CC Sport
      03-19-2013 03:19 PM #6
      You basically hit it right on. The R to me feels like it was rushed out. No attention to details, pedals, etc. Just oh here lets put an older motor we have laying around in a MK6, oh yah lets add AWD. And poof. While they are fast, easy to extract power. There is something about a hatch with a big engine that makes it fun.

Quote Originally Posted by abeR View Post
      My wife would be driving a 4 door DSG equipped model if it was available now.

2.0 with DSG = funzo.
      Yup.. I would have gotten one instead of my new CC for a daily. They should have brought both the 6MT and DSG versions.. but then the car would be way to spendy for what it is..
      Newing Alpil GTI-RS Widebody MKV R32 Turbo
      2013 CC Sport (Daily Sled)
      ThePaws.com - Yes .. I sell dog toys for a living.

03-19-2013 03:26 PM #7
      Similar thing happened to me when the MkVI GTi first came out...No intention of buying, just wanted to check it out. Had my R32 near the building with the rear of the car facing it. Walked in, asked about the new GTi and the salespersons first words were "Am I thinking about trading my Rabbit in?" :-)

Have had it happen multiple times with the Corrado
      Daily: '08 R32 -- Wifes: '08 Audi A3 -- Sunny Days: '90 Corrado

Vehicles
      03-19-2013 03:41 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by G60 dude View Post
      Similar thing happened to me when the MkVI GTi first came out...No intention of buying, just wanted to check it out. Had my R32 near the building with the rear of the car facing it. Walked in, asked about the new GTi and the salespersons first words were "Am I thinking about trading my Rabbit in?" :-)

Have had it happen multiple times with the Corrado

I feel your pain, i've given up on explaining what an R32 is, that is unless they really want to know

Vehicles
      03-19-2013 03:48 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by willlangford View Post
      You basically hit it right on. The R to me feels like it was rushed out. No attention to details, pedals, etc. Just oh here lets put an older motor we have laying around in a MK6, oh yah lets add AWD. And poof. While they are fast, easy to extract power. There is something about a hatch with a big engine that makes it fun..
      Agreed, great car but I was expecting more. The previous models have always been for their fit and finish not this one.

Does anyone one if they are doing a limited run with these too? I've heard both yes and no.

Vehicles
      2008 R32 #3603/5000
      03-19-2013 04:19 PM #10
      I feel your pain, i've given up on explaining what an R32 is, that is unless they really want to know
      Oh come on it's easy enough.

"2008 AWD 3.2L V6 Golf"

If their eyes gloss over at "3.2L" they usually at least understand "V6", and their jaw kind of drops a little when they realize that there's a lot of motor crammed into a small engine bay. By this point I usually have the hood open so they can see it.
      [Forge CAI, BlueFlame catback, DLI mounts, UM software, RNS510+MDI+9W7BT, RacingBrake 4pot, OEM (projector) fogs, other Euro stuff]
      I'm a tech nerd and radar/lidar countermeasure enthusiast. I like track days, autocross, and US Highway 129. I love aural pleasure.
      WitW 2014 || I UM

Vehicles
      03-19-2013 04:40 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by ZPrime View Post
      Oh come on it's easy enough.

"2008 AWD 3.2L V6 Golf"

If their eyes gloss over at "3.2L" they usually at least understand "V6", and their jaw kind of drops a little when they realize that there's a lot of motor crammed into a small engine bay. By this point I usually have the hood open so they can see it.
      If they really want to know I will go ahead and explain, if not I just tell them I have a Golf... then they hear the growl and go what was that?????????????

Vehicles
      .:R32 Mk5
      03-19-2013 05:17 PM #12
      The Golf R needed a few things before I could call it a "perfect" successor to the MkV .:R32.

- U.S. version needs Rain-sensing wipers and auto head lamps and no excuse because our cars have it
      - It needs a backup camera.
      - It needs RCD and RNS 510.
      - It needs those optional racing seats that you can get in europe (so do our cars because it was also available then).
      - It needs LED tails.
      - Can't have less power than euro version like it does now.
      - Color MFD, because I believe euro had this.
      - Most importantly, it needs DCC (adaptive chassis control), optional in europe, adjusts dampers, steering effort, and throttle response in 3 setting: comfort, normal (auto), and sport.
      -HELL!! THEY SHOULD HAVE PUT THE 2.5T FROM TTRS IN THERE F*** EVERYTHING ELSE

Some euro features I purposely missed because parking sensors, 19 in wheels, etc. are not important

Some of these can be standard, some can be optional, like how it is in europe

I just think that with these it can justify the jump in 4-5 years from our cars and the switch to a new platform with way more available features.

Currently, I believe the U.S. Golf R only has push button start and smart access when talking about features over MkV. That is pathetic, I'm sorry.
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------
      At the same time, the MkV R needed:

- Those dark tinted tail lights we were promised
      - And those racing seats optional like in europe and same as Golf R except the Golf R's has alcantara
      - ".:R36" dead pedal (have quotes because it wouldn't be called R36 pedal if we already had them)
      - Maybe those 4 piston front and rear calipers we were promised (which would also give it to the GoRf)
      -HELL!! WE SHOULD HAVE HAD THE R36, F*** EVERYTHING ELSE
      -------------------------------------------------------------------------
      While we're at it, MkIV:
      - HIDs with headlamp washers
      - NAV option
      - Europe suspension (luckily, MkV already has this)
      As you can see, all U.S.A. R32s and Rs lose to europe and it's not funny. In fact, all VWs lose to europe, but for the R's to lose to europe just as much is unacceptable.

Well, this is just my .02, you agree, you don't, I'm just telling you about how I would have done it, and yes, if it means just a bit more expensive then so be it.

*Edited version
      Last edited by vipermoon64; 03-20-2013 at 01:58 AM.
      In my opinion unless otherwise stated.

Vehicles
      03-19-2013 05:26 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by vipermoon64 View Post
      The Golf R needed a few things before I could call it a "perfect" successor to the MkV .:R32.

- U.S. version needs Rain-sensing wipers and auto head lamps and no excuse because our cars have it
      - It needs a backup camera.
      - It needs RCD and RNS 510.
      - It needs those optional racing seats that you can get in europe (so do our cars because it was also available then).
      - It needs LED tails.
      - Can't have less power than euro version like it does now.
      - Color MFD, because I believe euro had this.
      - Most importantly, it needs DCC (adaptive chassis control), optional in europe, adjusts dampers, steering, and throttle response in 3 setting: comfort, normal (auto), and sport.

Some euro features I purposely missed because parking sensors, 19 in wheels, etc. are not important

Some of these can be standard, some can be optional, like how it is in europe

I just think that with these it can justify the jump in 4-5 years from our cars and the switch to a new platform with way more available features.
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------
      At the same time, the MkV R needed:

- Those dark tinted tail lights we were promised
      - And those racing seats optional like in europe and same as Golf R except the Golf R's has alcantara
      - ".:R36" dead pedal (have quotes because it wouldn't be called R36 pedal if we already had them)
      While we're at it, MkIV:
      - HIDs with headlamp washers
      - NAV option
      - Europe suspension (luckily, MkV already has this)
      As you can see, all U.S.A. R32s and Rs lose to europe and it's not funny. In fact, all VWs lose to europe, but for the R's to lose to europe just as much is unacceptable
      could not agree with you more. Thanks for the great insight!!!

Vehicles
      B5 S4, MkV R32, W203 C240, W123 300D Turbo, W210 E320 4Matic
      03-19-2013 07:22 PM #14
      Nothing new here...moving along...

j/k thanks for the review.
      If your gas cap light comes on even if you think you tightened the cap, try pulling on the cap as you tighten it. Worked for me.
      Help us with suspension specs!
      Vag Evolution: MkI Rabbit -> MkII 16v GTI -> B5 S4/MkV .:R32

15. 03-19-2013 07:26 PM #15
      I test drove one not too long ago. I was extremely disappointed. It handled great. The steering was more responsive and the suspension felt a little tighter, and it did feel like it was a little quicker up top. I just love the torque that the 3.2 puts down around 2600 rpm. I drive a lot of back roads that are very similar to europe. I don't want to have the engine wound out just to have a little fun. I mashed the peddle in the Golf R in 3rd at about 2500 rpms and It felt like it took ages to feel like I was going anywhere. Not to mention the lacking exhaust note. They nailed it right on the head giving it a new name that started with Golf Instead of R. I want a new R thats a Golf not a Golf thats an R....hehe, If that makes any sense.

I give it a mediocre

16. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      08 R32 1834/5000
      03-19-2013 09:47 PM #16
      I would love to drive a new R.

Hell I am grass green to my R32...

However, like all of you mentioned above. The sound. Many cars have turbo woosh! You can get an old DSM car all day long. They go woosh and have AWD too!

But NOTHING sounds like a Vr6. Its got that distinct note... Kind of like when you know you hear a Mustang v8 coming or a Scoobaroo.

I dont know how well the R32 is in AutoX but I am going to play with the Akron Sports Car Club this summer and find out. I would imagine though, that the NEW R wouldnt fare as well because of the turbo...? If she falls outta boost in a corner you screwed, where as the R32 has NICE low end torque!

The NEW R should have been a Vr6 with a ROOTS blower and a water to air intercooler... NO LAG and extra balls!

Vehicles
      03-20-2013 12:10 AM #17
      Truth is the new R should have been the R36 with a supercharger... Nough said

18. Member
      Vehicles
      2008 VW R32
      03-20-2013 01:13 AM #18
      Agreed, great car but I was expecting more. The previous models have always been for their fit and finish not this one.

Does anyone one if they are doing a limited run with these too? I've heard both yes and no.
      I talked to a VW company rep at our local auto show, and he confirmed that the new Rs are not numbered, there were only 4000 shipped into the usa, 1000 going to Canada, and it is too expensive to import the Golf R to the USA due to cost and currency exchange, and VW is loosing over $4000 per unit imported--thus--end of story and more imports.

19. Member
      03-20-2013 02:17 AM #19
      check any german cars website, the euro specs R can go up to 50K euro and thats wont sell US side....

Vehicles
      03-20-2013 02:46 AM #20
      It's true that they will be more expensive but obviously 50k euro is not what we would see. Cars are more expensive pretty much everywhere around the world when compared to the U.S., even Canada has slightly more expensive cars. If the Golf R and it's options in the U.S. were a bit closer to what europe according to my previous post the car still wouldnt be 40k USD or maybe just hit that fully loaded, I don't think every option should make it over here... save the adaptive cruise control, f/r parking sensors, night drive assist, and whatever else they can come up with for themselves.
      Last edited by vipermoon64; 03-20-2013 at 02:00 PM.

21. 03-20-2013 02:53 AM #21
      Nuf said
      Carlicious-parts Stage 3 Supercharger Kit - DNA Tuning Stage 4 Custom Remap - DNA Tuning Custom DSG Tune - Borla Exhaust System - BMC DIA Intake System - HPA Core Interlock Mount - H&R Sport Springs - H&R 26mm Rear Sway Bar - R-Dash License Plate LED Lights - CF Wrapped front Grille - DUBSTOP Smoked Mirror Lens - 6000k LED City Lights - LED interior Kit - VMR 18" Sungold v701s - OEM RCD-510 - Double Apex DSG+ Shifters

22. Member
      03-20-2013 03:01 AM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by tWiStEd-tORqUe View Post
      Nuf said

23. Member
      Vehicles
      1996 Mk1 Citi Golf(Race Car), 1996 Mk3 GTi , 1993 Land Rover Defender 110, 2008 TR MkV R32
      03-20-2013 04:12 AM #23
      Nuf said
      Wonder if it was Ru1ned? that'd be 1ronic

24. 03-20-2013 05:41 AM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by howie-wp View Post
      wonder if it was ru1ned? That'd be 1ronic
      loooool
      Carlicious-parts Stage 3 Supercharger Kit - DNA Tuning Stage 4 Custom Remap - DNA Tuning Custom DSG Tune - Borla Exhaust System - BMC DIA Intake System - HPA Core Interlock Mount - H&R Sport Springs - H&R 26mm Rear Sway Bar - R-Dash License Plate LED Lights - CF Wrapped front Grille - DUBSTOP Smoked Mirror Lens - 6000k LED City Lights - LED interior Kit - VMR 18" Sungold v701s - OEM RCD-510 - Double Apex DSG+ Shifters

Vehicles
      03-20-2013 11:53 AM #25
      Nuf said

No question that the growl from the VR6 is one of the MOST unique and special features on our beloved cars. Getting rid of the VR6 was a big mistake.

Wonder how difficult it will be if someone were to swap the 2.0L for the 3.2 or 3.6 VR6. Would that make the R the perfect replacement? don't think so, we still have the issue of the interior quality

26. Member
      03-20-2013 12:06 PM #26

No question that the growl from the VR6 is one of the MOST unique and special features on our beloved cars. Getting rid of the VR6 was a big mistake.

Wonder how difficult it will be if someone were to swap the 2.0L for the 3.2 or 3.6 VR6. Would that make the R the perfect replacement? don't think so, we still have the issue of the interior quality
      i think its more like the overall quality not only the interior

Vehicles
      2008 R32
      03-20-2013 09:13 PM #27
      New golf needs 3.6VR. THE END

Vehicles
      2008 TR.:R32
      03-20-2013 09:34 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by 1490R32 View Post
      New golf needs 3.6VR. THE END
      This!
      2008 Tornado Rad .:R32 #2846/5000
      http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/66859.png

Vehicles
      03-20-2013 10:38 PM #29
      Speaking of the VR6, I don't see a future for it in the next few years at VW. It's a horrible thing I know, but what do you guys think?

Vehicles
      2008 UG R32 #3497
      03-20-2013 10:42 PM #30
      Maybe if they make an aluminum block, add direct injection and turbocharge it.
      Drive a hybrid. I need your gas. .:R

Vehicles
      Axis of Evil
      03-20-2013 10:45 PM #31
      NR/NR

32. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      08 R32 1834/5000
      03-20-2013 11:12 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by VR64ANT View Post
      Maybe if they make an aluminum block, add direct injection and turbocharge it.
      Supercharge!

LOL!!!

Vehicles
      12 Golf R
      03-30-2013 12:41 AM #33
      i currently have one that the dealer let me take for a 24 hour test drive. i like it, but im not as impressed as i thought i'd be. needless to say, i cant wait to pick up my r in the morning
      current: mk6 golf r 2 door w/ sunroof & navigation
      past vag: mk4 jetta, b7 a4, mk3 gti, mk1 rabbit, mk5 r32

Vehicles
      08 TR R32, 12 TR Golf R (about to be traded for a Wrangler), 11 Blk Touareg Exec
      03-30-2013 10:16 AM #34
      I currently own both of these cars, and both are Tornado Red. My 08 R32 has approximately 13K miles while my 12 Golf R has approximately 1300 miles. Each have their pros and cons.

First: the Golf R. As mentioned in one of the other posts, the handling is better; more precise It has a smoother ride. The best I have done mileage wise is about 28mpg. It is not nearly as refined and does not have important options such as rain sensing, auto headlights, auto mirrors. I also miss the DSG. Turbo power is interesting, but I prefer the linear power of the 3.2 (personal preference. My son who has driven both and who also has a Golf R prefers the turbo). If you are so inclined, the Golf R is easier to mod in terms of achieving massive increases in hp. Cheaper too. The RNS315 is a joke. The radio seems aimed at the 16 year old crowd, the nav is far inferior to my Tom Tom and I really don't like the dynaudio in this vehicle at all. It just sounds wrong on many levels. That being said, the dynaudio in my Touareg is fantastic. The Haldex is more refined in the Golf R as well. The fit and finish of the Golf R doesn't seem to be as good as in my R32. There is more wind noise when driving at speed. The engine compartment is not finished at a good level (mine is almost pink).

My R32 seems more upscale. I much prefer the DSG. I much prefer the engine. I routinely achieve around 25 mpg (way better than the 18/23 epa rating), and often hit 27-28 on long trips. The radio is far superior (no nav) in terms of sound and ease of use. Auto headlights, auto dimming rear view mirror and rain sensing wipers are a HUGE plus for me. (I know, these can be added to the Golf R, but at a price). I really do prefer this car is many ways. Two things I did not like were both cosmetic. I did not like the wheels and replaced them with Charlestons. I also did not like the 'engine turned' trim on the dash and doors so I replaced them with trim painted Tornado Red. I also swapped out my hand brake and shifter with red stitched versions from the Edition 30 GTi.

Overall, I think the R32 is the better vehicle of the two. Had the Golf R been available with DSG, that would have made this choice more difficult. I have been driving for nearly 45 years and have logged many, many hours in vehicles with manual transmissions. That being said, the DSG is one awesome transmission. I am actually heavily considering swapping a DSG into the Golf R. With my R32, it was love at first sight, and I have never regretted that purchase. Unfortunately, for me, the Golf R is just another car. A great car, but nothing special. I do not have the attachment to it that I do to the R32. (Fact is, I really would rather have a brand new Eurovan!). It could be that the R32 was my first hod rod/sports car that gives it that special feeling, but I suspect it is more than that.

Overall the Golf R is just a Golf/Gti with 4wd and a more powerful engine. The R32 is in a class of its own.
      Last edited by luckeydoug1; 03-30-2013 at 10:20 AM.

Vehicles
      '08 DBP .:R32
      03-31-2013 09:19 PM #35
      the .:r32 has a soul... while the gorf may be better in several aspects, it will never have what the vr6-powered models have.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast