Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: How much does it cost to repair (rear) window regulator? Passat 99

1. Member
      Vehicles
      Owns: 1999/Passat
      03-27-2013 07:03 PM #1
      Hi everyone,

Both sides of the rear passenger windows don't go down when I press the window switch. I "broke" the left side by slamming the door very hard a few years back. The right one just randomly stopped working. It was working fine a few days ago. I can hear both motors functioning, but both window glasses don't go down.

I suspect it is a regulator problem...how much does it cost to repair the window? I asked a window-tech and he said he found 2 used window regulators and can repair both windows for $360. I wonder if it's better off repairing with new parts or used parts. Any suggestions/comments are appreciated!!!

I drive 99 1.8t passat
      Last edited by Viola; 03-27-2013 at 07:06 PM.

Vehicles
      03-28-2013 12:50 PM #2
      Due to the common problems associated with window regulators I would recommend getting brand new ones.

Whats to say the used ones aren't on their way out as well? The most common issue is a pulley on the regulator cable gets brittle and snaps or the cable gets chewed up by the motor.

Completely up to you but I'd say invest in some brand new Genuine brand regulators.

http://www.germanautoparts.com/Volks...sat/Body/247/3

$354 in parts and then probably 1.5 hours each for labor.
      Current Family Hauler- 2004 VW Passat 1.8t, 4M, 5-speed
      Previous- 2004 VW .:R32 / Previous- 2000 Audi S4 / Previous- 1995 Jetta gl Vr6

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2002 Passat GLX Wagon (2.8L V6 "ATQ")
      03-28-2013 04:06 PM #3
      Last year I had to replace the window regulator on the driver's door on my 2002 Passat wagon. The new regulator (without a new motor) was less than $80 and that was pre-mounted to a new metal plate. The installation was fairly straight forward, but time consuming to take the innards of the door apart.

I don't know why, but the rear regulators seem to be much more expensive ($200).

Vehicles
      1999 Volkswagen Passat GLS
      03-29-2013 08:43 AM #4
      I have a B5 Passat sedan rear passenger door regulator (used) with motor. $50 plus shipping if you're interested.
      A science of vague assumptions based on debatable figures taken from inconclusive experiments and performed with instruments of problematic accuracy by persons of doubtful reliability and questionable mentality