Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Can somebody show me where the PCV valve is on an MKIV 2.0 Jetta?

1. 04-01-2013 06:40 PM #1
      In the last thread I posted, which described the massive problems my car is having, it was suggested that I check the PCV valve. I've read more about the valve online, and the symptoms of a bad one, so now I REALLY want to check it.

Problem is.. I CAN'T FIND THE DANG THING!!!

I've searched everywhere for it. I've looked for engine diagrams, tried all sorts of posts online, and just can't find any help. There aren't even any results on youtube showing how to remove one.

EVERYTHING is for the VR6.

Please, for the sake of my sanity, show me where this dang thing is!

here's my engine: http://i.imgur.com/0C4PLUY.jpg

2. 04-01-2013 09:20 PM #2
      So I just pulled this hose off of [whatever this thing is]. It has milky oil inside it. And I can not find ANY way to take it off. Any ideas?

http://i.imgur.com/aeiNTCw.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Z7PLPXy.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/SQdLGsj.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/AGdKUji.jpg

3. 04-03-2013 07:11 PM #3
      bump..

please?

Vehicles
      turbo wagon
      04-03-2013 07:20 PM #4
      Yes that is your PCV. Milky residue is common from moisture.

What is your exact issue?
      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      I read this in Samuel L. Jackson's voice to make it more interesting. That's all I got.
      2005 VW Passat Wagon 1.8T 4Motion 5M/T [Current]
      2007 A4 Avant 2.0T Q/MT [Sold]
      2000 VW Golf 2.0 [Sold]

5. 04-03-2013 07:21 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Jay-Bee View Post
      Yes that is your PCV. Milky residue is common from moisture.

What is your exact issue?
      I wish I could just call it an "issue", as in singular

Here's the thread I started describing the infuriating mess that is my car

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...-stump-you-too!

Vehicles
      turbo wagon
      04-03-2013 07:30 PM #6
      From what I can tell; if you misted your coilpack and got elctrical arc'ing, replace the coilpack, possibly the wires too. If you had this many misfires, the spark plugs are likely fouled as well. the other codes are leading me towards a vacuum leak.

Your PCV shouldn't cause any of these issues. Unless the plastice tube is torn or has holes in it, in that case, it would be letting un-metered air (post MAF) into the system.
      I read this in Samuel L. Jackson's voice to make it more interesting. That's all I got.
      2000 VW Golf 2.0 [Sold]

7. 04-03-2013 07:38 PM #7
      From what I can tell; if you misted your coilpack and got elctrical arc'ing, replace the coilpack, possibly the wires too. If you had this many misfires, the spark plugs are likely fouled as well. the other codes are leading me towards a vacuum leak.

Your PCV shouldn't cause any of these issues. Unless the plastice tube is torn or has holes in it, in that case, it would be letting un-metered air (post MAF) into the system.
      Well, I'll be testing all that more! I just bought a bunch of new stuff using the $50 off deal at Advance Auto Parts, so I'll be putting those in tomorrow. I have new spark plugs, new wires, new oil filter, fuel filter, and pcv valve. Most of these have ever been replaced in 120,000 miles, so even if they're not the cause, hopefully the upkeep will still help.

Everywhere I look, people tell me it must be a vaccuum leak. I just have no idea how to find the leak. I tried a few tricks, but I still can't figure it out.

Vehicles
      turbo wagon
      04-03-2013 08:25 PM #8
      Step 1, stop buying electrical components from Advance Auto/Autozone!

You want OEM Bosch or Beru stuff for ignition and MAF, the cheap stuff has been known to cause problems on many VWs.
      2000 VW Golf 2.0 [Sold]

9. 04-03-2013 08:34 PM #9
      Step 1, stop buying electrical components from Advance Auto/Autozone!

You want OEM Bosch or Beru stuff for ignition and MAF, the cheap stuff has been known to cause problems on many VWs.

Would spark plugs and wires count as the 'cheap stuff'? I thought those were fairly universal. My MAF and O2 sensors are all Bosch

Vehicles
      turbo wagon
      04-03-2013 08:49 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by chlaird View Post
      Would spark plugs and wires count as the 'cheap stuff'? I thought those were fairly universal. My MAF and O2 sensors are all Bosch
      They are fine for spark plugs as they should sell NGK or Bosch, NO Autolite or Champions! can't remember which P/n, what exact 2.0 engine code do you have? as it varies and those parts counter guys never get it right.

What brand are the plug wires? You are going to need a coilpack, so make sure it's OEM.
      2000 VW Golf 2.0 [Sold]

Vehicles
      turbo wagon
      04-03-2013 08:53 PM #11
      For better technical 2.0 info you'll want to post in the 2.0 Tech forum: http://forums.vwvortex.com/forumdisp...r-Engine-Forum

It's a little slower moving but people know what they're doing there, and your thread here will just get buried under all the pictures of cars on 400$ coilovers and BBS wheels.
      2000 VW Golf 2.0 [Sold]

12. 04-03-2013 08:54 PM #12
      They are fine for spark plugs as they should sell NGK or Bosch, NO Autolite or Champions! can't remember which P/n, what exact 2.0 engine code do you have? as it varies and those parts counter guys never get it right.

What brand are the plug wires? You are going to need a coilpack, so make sure it's OEM.
      I bought these wires: http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...ion_22360490-p

I'd never heard of the brand, but I figured that it's hard to mess up a plain old wire... hoping I'm not about to be told I made a big mistake

I bought these spark plugs: http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...nso_11010037-p

And I'm the 2.0 AZG

Vehicles
      turbo wagon
      04-04-2013 07:20 AM #13
      I hate to tell you to buy more parts but go get some NGK PZFR5D-11 spark plugs and some OEM style plug wires. MSD is a good brand, but i've heard of nothing but issues on VWs.

Your plug wires should look like these, your old ones probably did: http://www.vorwerkauto.com/new-spark...05-54-003.html

The plug wires you linked look they're for an older 2.0 ABA with a distributor.
      2000 VW Golf 2.0 [Sold]

14. 04-04-2013 05:34 PM #14
      I hate to tell you to buy more parts but go get some NGK PZFR5D-11 spark plugs and some OEM style plug wires. MSD is a good brand, but i've heard of nothing but issues on VWs.

Your plug wires should look like these, your old ones probably did: http://www.vorwerkauto.com/new-spark...05-54-003.html

The plug wires you linked look they're for an older 2.0 ABA with a distributor.
      Welp, you're right. The wires are definitely wrong that I bought. I'll go return them tomorrow. Can you explain the benefits of the spark plugs you mentioned? I see that most NKG plugs are like $3 a piece, but these are $12. I'm on a pretty tight budget, so I'm just wondering if the cheaper ones won't work

Vehicles
      turbo wagon
      04-04-2013 05:58 PM #15
      Did you gap the Denso plugs? the "-11" number on the NGKs indicates they are pre-gapped 1.1mm (0.043") I mean they could be fine, but we are throwing variables in that we don't want to overlook.

I always ran the proper NGK plugs in my 2.0 and never had spark issues.

Can you get another OBD/Vag-com done and let me know your codes?

You can always PM me, since i'm the only one replying in your thread.
      2000 VW Golf 2.0 [Sold]

16. 04-10-2013 03:03 PM #16
      Looking to replace my PCV valve on my 2.0 AZG engine. Looks like the same one as in the picture, with the two hoses coming out of it.

I cannot seem to find a replacement part anywhere. I can only locate the one for AEGs. Am I confused? Any one know where I can find one?

Any help would be great appreciated. Thanks.

Vehicles
      turbo wagon
      04-10-2013 03:44 PM #17
      Tip of the day: in 2.0s there is no "valve" in the PCV system it's just a tube from your oil fill cap to the intake boot, the electrical connector is a heating element so condensation doesn't freeze in the winter and block the path, blocked PCV = blown valve cover gasket, oil seals and worse as the crank case pressure has no where to escape.

I think you guys are having issues else where and some silly old mechanic or parts person is pointing in the wrong direction. The only problem that could be happening is if the tube is broken or leaking extra air into your engine after the MAF sensor... and yes, this will cause issues but it's easy to diagnose.
      2000 VW Golf 2.0 [Sold]