via netcarshowOriginally Posted by Press ReleaseThe new Citroen C4 Picasso is first and foremost a car of astonishing design. It takes advantage of the possibilities offered by the EMP2 platform to explore new forms of stylistic expression: reduced overhang (-70 mm at the front), a lower engine block and floor (between -40 mm and -50 mm for the engine, and -20 mm for the floor), and wider tracks (+82 mm at the front and +31 mm at the rear). The dynamic effect created is both forceful and intense.
The first action of designer Frťderic Soubirou was to create the side signature, a C shape in chrome that gives the side view of the new Citroen C4 Picasso its personality, while underlining the space available to passengers at front and rear. The side view with its sculpted panels conveys an impression of smooth power.
The front end marks a renewal in Citroen styling, with a more assertive engine compartment and a new look for the chevrons, reaching out to touch the spectacular high-tech lights. Slim LED daytime-running lights extend the line of the radiator grille, sitting just on top of the slender headlamps. Fog lamps add the finishing touch to this original light signature.
The rear LED lights, inspired by the Tubik, Survolt and Revolte concept cars, feature a profound, futuristic 3D effect. A new enveloping tailgate suggesting roominess and strength adds a dynamic touch to the rear view. When opened, the tailgate provides easy and generous boot access.
To showcase these styling features, the Citroen C4 Picasso ships in a range of eight colours, from the sophisticated Shark grey, Aluminium grey, Hickory brown and Onyx black to the radiant Rubi red, Teles blue and Kyanos blue. Alloy wheels of original design are also available in three sizes: 16", 17" and 18".
A loft-style interior
The new Citroen C4 Picasso features an uncluttered loft-style interior ambience. An impression reinforced by the panoramic windscreen, a standard feature, and the large glass roof that bathe the car in natural light. As in the previous-generation vehicle, the cabin features an exceptionally large glazed area (5.30 m2).
Travelling becomes a relaxing experience, with the exclusive Lounge Pack, comprising front massage seats, a "Relax" seat enabling the front passenger to stretch out his or her legs, and a Relax headrest on all seats for optimum neck support. The Citroen C4 Picasso applies business-class travel standards for all the passengers!
The loft-style design of the new Citroen C4 Picasso is also visible in the quality of the materials and the attention to detail. This vehicle is on a par with the best for perceived quality.
The dashboard, of asymmetric design, combines several colours and materials. The driver's side is primarily black, a colour with high-tech connotations, echoing the paler shade on the passenger side (Ardoise or Champagne depending on the colours selected) with a sparkle-effect finish. Satin-finish chrome and glossy black inserts enhance the overall effect. At the same time, particular attention was given to the door panels: the crossbar features an original pattern obtained by laser engraving. Sophistication and careful thought clearly went into every detail.
The seat design features a graphic effect that gives the two front seats the appearance of a one-piece bench. The new Citroen C4 Picasso is available with light-coloured Nappa leather inspired by the world of interior design, with the emphasis on elegance and comfort.
A full digital, full touch driving interface
The new Citroen C4 Picasso ships with a full digital driving interface that is both intuitive and attractive. The uncluttered dashboard is structured around two screens located in the central section: a 7" touchpad and a 12" panoramic HD screen.
The standard 7" touchpad, with its seven touch-sensitive buttons, controls all the in-car functions: dual-zone air conditioning, navigation, audio, telephone, driving aids, connected services, etc. All within a finger's reach!
The spectacular 12" panoramic HD screen displays essential driving information and can be configured by the driver at any time to show data for either the navigation system or driving aids. Drivers can even display a personal photo as a screen backdrop using an USB key. The car becomes a real home from home.
And to stay connected at all times, the new Citroen C4 Picasso provides access to Citroen Multicity Connect, a portal of connected applications, controlled from the 7" touchpad. Specially tailored for automotive use, the portal comprises a wide range of applications to make life easier for both the driver and passengers: the nearest service station, a hotel or restaurant, a weather update or information on high-risk traffic areas.
Easy, relaxed driving
Looking beyond useful everyday functions such as hands-free access and start-up, a motorised tailgate and reversing camera, the new Citroen C4 Picasso ships with a range of innovations for easy, relaxed driving, such as:
- 360 Vision, an exclusive feature on this segment. Using the four cameras placed around the car, the driver can select a bird's eye view, a rear view alone, or a panoramic front view, useful for getting out of a garage! This system provides a complete view of the car's immediate environment, an extended field of vision that makes for easier manoeuvres.
- Park Assist: this function helps drivers looking for a parking space. It provides automatic assistance when manoeuvring into a space, whether parking in reverse or at an angle. All the driver has to do is to manage acceleration and braking. A valuable aid in the urban jungle!
Technologies serving safety
The new Citroen C4 Picasso is packed with technologies to anticipate events and to provide assistance as part of a safe and relaxed driving experience:
- An active cruise control function: a radar sensor in the front bumper maintains a constant distance with the vehicle in front by detecting any slowdown in speed and warning the driver. The system acts on the accelerator and engine brake to reduce or increase speed within a limit of 25 kph. When the road is clear, the car automatically returns to the set speed.
- The active driver and passenger front seatbelts are equipped with motors that pull the belt tight automatically in the event of danger for maximum protection. At the same time, in relation with the video LDWS, the belt vibrates to warn the driver if the car crosses a line.
- An image processing function for the miniature camera built into the interior door mirror, to manage automatic high beam operation, i.e. automatically activating and deactivating high beam lights depending on lighting and traffic conditions. This function is also used by the new-generation more predictive lane departure warning system (video LDWS).
- The ultrasonic blind spot monitoring system: an orange light in the angle of the door mirror warns drivers if a vehicle is present in their blind spot. Relying on four sensors in the front and rear bumpers, this system is active between 12 and 140 kph. It controls the area up to the exterior door mirror at the front, extending to around 5m behind the rear bumper and 3.5m on either side.
- Citroen eTouch, a service comprising, among other functions, a localised emergency call and assistance system (depending on the country), two free 24/7 services relying on a built-in SIM card, which ensure that the vehicle can be located promptly and assistance sent out in the event of an incident or accident.
These intelligent technologies make the road safer for drivers, passengers and others, to ensure that driving remains an enjoyable, relaxing experience. And for an even more relaxed attitude, the new Citroen C4 Picasso is set to cover 2.5 million km between now and the launch date as part of fine-tuning road tests encompassing several countries and a full range of situations, even the most extreme.
Architecture optimised for compact exterior dimensions and interior space
The new Citroen C4 Picasso creates a new architectural benchmark. The modular EMP2 platform allows a longer wheelbase for increased cabin space. Compared with the previous-generation vehicle, the new Citroen C4 Picasso is more compact on the outside while offering more space on the inside:
- 40 mm shorter for more compact dimensions,
- a wheelbase that is 55 mm longer (2,785 mm on the new C4 Picasso) for class-beating interior space,
- an additional 40 litres in the boot, for class-best capacity of 537 litres VDA, and up to 630 litres with the seats in row 2 pushed forward.
With these optimised dimensions (L: 4.43m / W: 1.83m / H: 1.61m), along with electric power steering and a turning circle of 10.8m, the new Citroen C4 Picasso is an agile vehicle able to adapt to all driving situations.
Further, the new Citroen C4 Picasso continues to set the standard in terms of modular design:
- In row 1, folding the passenger seat forwards increases loading space by more than 2.5 m as well as extending the field of vision of rear passengers.
- In row 2, the three individual seats are the same width. All three fold flat and can be tilted for increased comfort. They also feature fore-and-aft adjustment for increased flexibility. Knee space (159 mm) is on a par with the best-in-class.
The new Citroen C4 Picasso features a wide range of clever and convenient stowage compartments around the cabin. Such as the lit stowage compartment in the centre of the dashboard, with a jack, USB port and 220V socket, ideal for plugging in a Smartphone or tablet out of sight of prying eyes. Or the removable console on versions equipped with the clutchless gearbox, between the driver and passenger seats, to keep personal belongings within easy reach. And of course the stowage under the front seats and in the doors, the storage nets, the trays on the seat backs in row 1,with LED lighting, and the under-floor storage in row 2, practical for everyday use.
Class leader in terms of CO2 emissions and fuel consumption
To win the CO2 challenge, the new Citroen C4 Picasso is 140 kg lighter than its predecessor, thanks to:
- The new EMP2 platform, with aluminium or very high yield strength steel used for some parts and a composite rear floor, cutting vehicle weight by 70 kg.
- The body style, which cuts vehicle weight by a further 70 kg, through optimised exterior dimensions and the use of new materials, such as an aluminium bonnet and composite tailgate.
The result: significant weight loss for the new Citroen C4 Picasso, which is now as light as the Citroen C3 Picasso!
This reduced weight, combined with the emphasis on aerodynamics (CdA of 0.71) and an optimised engine range significantly cuts emissions and fuel consumption. Emissions fall by an average 30 grammes, saving more than 1 litre per km compared with the previous-generation vehicle.
At the same time, the new Citroen C4 Picasso is the first compact MPV to ship with internal-combustion engines emitting less than 100 g/km of CO2. The e-HDi 90 Airdream engine, mated with the new 6-speed clutchless gearbox, ETG6, emits just 98 g/km of CO2, for combined consumption of 3.8 l/100 km, a record in its category!
The engine range of the new Citroen C4 Picasso features a number of strong points:
- For the diesel engines, Stop&Start technology on all units, excluding the HDi 90 with a manual gearbox.
- The e-HDi 115 engine at the core of the line-up emits just 104 grammes of CO2 with the ETG6 gearbox (105 grammes with the manual gearbox) for combined consumption of 4 l /100 km.
- The new Citroen C4 Picasso will be the first Citroen model to ship with a BlueHDi engine meeting Euro 6 standards: the BlueHDi 150 emitting 110 g/km of CO2 features an SCR module (selective catalytic reduction), currently the most efficient technology for treating NOx (- 90%) and cutting CO2 emissions in all situations.
Alongside the 6-speed manual gearbox available with all the diesel engines (except the HDi 90) a new 6-speed clutchless gearbox is also available: the ETG6 (6-speed Efficient Tronic Gearbox). Delivering improved performance, this new gearbox can be mated with the e-HDi 90 and e-HDi 115 engines. With the ETG6, drivers can switch from manual to automated mode at any time, depending on their requirements and the driving environment. The new gearbox features a creep function and optimised pedal mapping, adjusting power effectively for smoother start-ups and enhanced driveability. It also modulates gear change speeds more precisely, based on driver input, for improved performance and comfort. Optimised gear shift patterns improve efficiency still further.
This gearbox line-up will be completed by an automatic 6-speed gearbox, available from fist-half 2014.
Comfort and roadholding
Driveability is the key strength of the new Citroen C4 Picasso. While maintaining the recognised comfort of the Citroen C4 Picasso, this new-generation vehicle is simpler to handle and manoeuvre for an easier, more relaxed drive.
The reduced weight and lower centre of gravity establish a new balance between comfort and roadholding, for improved driveability, greater safety and unequalled suspension comfort, thanks to:
- shock absorbers positioned vertically,
- vertical axle bolt above the centre of the wheel.
Acoustic and vibration comfort is also remarkable thanks to:
- Electric power steering that damps out vibrations transmitted from the road to the steering column.
- Damping of the front subframe to limit road noise.
- A new dual-material acoustic shim on the rear axle.
- Most of these improvements were made possible by the new EMP2 platform.
The new Citroen C4 Picasso also ships with Intelligent Traction Control, an electronic system to improve traction on low-grip surfaces. For comfort and roadholding in all circumstances, even the most extreme!