Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Links back to The Car Lounge (opens in same window)
    Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 0 miles Mclaren F1 for sale

Vehicles
      1995 M3, 1999 740i "Short" Sport, 2000 Ducati 748
      04-15-2013 04:16 PM #1
      http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoram...185433395.html

Nearly 15 years after the last copy rolled out of McLaren's factory, the 618-hp F1 supercar remains one of the most sought-after vehicles among the world's sporting billionaires. Only 106 were built, and in recent years a regular model McLaren F1 at auction could fetch bids of $5 million, while one with a racing pedigree commanded $13 million last year. This F1 in Japan holds another singular distinction: it's never been driven, and its odometer shows zero miles after 17 years of ownership — which suggests the owner has more money than sense.

According to the Japanese site listing the 1994 McLaren F1 for sale, the car was never even registered, and all of its official documents along with the vehicle itself has been kept in climate-controlled storage since purchase. Given the restraint necessary to keep such a machine untouched, one can likely assume the car itself was started and serviced in those 17 years; the picture above suggests a no-expense-spared level of care.

In an era where classic car prices have soared to as much as $35 million, a surprising number of collectors insist on keeping their valuables not just in running order but occasionally on the road. That's the point, for most: enjoying the aural and visceral delights of a Ferrari 250 GTB or a Duesenberg can deliver at full throttle makes ownership more than just typing numbers on a spreadsheet. Yet there's a subset of collectors and builders who see cars as furniture that needs preservation rather than speed, with the ultimate example provided by Bugatti and its porcelain-encrusted Veyron L'Or Blanc. Oh wait — even its owner has taken it for a drive on public streets.

I'd contend having zero miles on the odometer adds as much value to this F1 as throwing in a new set of wiper blades. Supercars aren't blocks of cheddar that get better with a few years in cold storage; they need driving not just for enjoyment but upkeep, to know which parts need work. If my Powerball numbers float up, I'd buy this, cover it in GoPros and make the most of its first mile.
      Quote Originally Posted by Das Borgen
      VR6s should sound like Chewbacca getting raped
      Dazzle Surprise - Team My Little Pony

2. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2013 VW GTI 2DR DBM
      04-15-2013 04:17 PM #2
      that must have been so ****ing hard to have that car and not even drive it once..

3. 04-15-2013 04:19 PM #3
      I wonder what kind of issues a car like this would have after sitting for so long.
      RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR.

Vehicles
      20th #105, '12 Beetle Turbo, '14 Tiguan R-Line
      04-15-2013 04:20 PM #4
      What a waste.
      Lots and lots of money spent...

5. 04-15-2013 04:21 PM #5
      Never driven.

As far as problems, probably not many as it sat in a climate controlled environment the whole time.
      2012 GTI 6MT /// 2008 R32 #138 /// 2009 Chevy Malibu
      My automotive photo adventures!

6. 04-15-2013 04:23 PM #6
      Saddest goddamn thing i've ever read.

Vehicles
      Hondas, regular and extra-pricey
      04-15-2013 04:23 PM #7
      This F1 in Japan holds another singular distinction: it's never been driven, and its odometer shows zero miles after 17 years of ownership — which suggests the owner has more money than sense.
      OTOH, he probably paid ~$1.XM for something that will go for $5-6M, sooo....

8. 04-15-2013 04:24 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stack View Post
      Not a bad ROI.

Vehicles
      Hondas, regular and extra-pricey
      04-15-2013 04:27 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by helement2003 View Post
      Not a bad ROI.
      Not what I would do, personally, but that doesn't make him dumb. Heck, my hypothetical method of "buy million-$ car, proceed to put million miles on it" is inarguably dumber from an investment standpoint

Vehicles
      '07 Jetta 2.0t
      04-15-2013 04:29 PM #10
      true, but he could have put mileage on it and still commanded that kind of money.

11. 04-15-2013 04:30 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stack View Post
      This. The difference between the owner and the author.... Owner see's investment opportunities and makes a move on it. Author bitches about other people's business and is still waiting for his Powerball numbers to win.

Vehicles
      2011 Honda CR-V
      04-15-2013 04:46 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by MFactor View Post
      This. The difference between the owner and the author.... Owner see's investment opportunities and makes a move on it. Author bitches about other people's business and is still waiting for his Powerball numbers to win.
      Well said!

Vehicles
      More than you can afford pal. Ferrari.
      04-15-2013 04:48 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
      that must have been so ****ing hard to have that car and not even drive it once..
      Semper Fi | USMC '06-'13 | 0311 | 0331| 0933 | '14- Soldier of Fortune
      Wagon Aficionado | Brodozer Brocionado | BMW Motorrad
      Aonarch's Blog!
      Wagon GTG SoWo '14

Vehicles
      1992 Mercedes 190E
      04-15-2013 04:50 PM #14
      For us yes, probably not that guy. He's looking at it purely from an investment/art standpoint
      Quote Originally Posted by efrie View Post

I told him the car wasn't going to win any races, to which he responded was "chill".

15. 04-15-2013 04:51 PM #15
      0 miles. Not even 1? Seems odd, even for a supercar.

I have seen millions of brand new cars- but they all had at least 2-3 miles on the odometer. Usually a vehicle is at least started and driven a mile or 2 for testing at plant?

16. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2013 VW GTI 2DR DBM
      04-15-2013 04:58 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by helement2003 View Post
      Not a bad ROI.
      after 15 years is it really? assuming he paid 1,*** mill

04-15-2013 04:59 PM #17
      Paging Peloton

I wonder if this is also the only yellow one? I've never seen another
      Car Photoblog | Art Blog | Instagram
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
      Quote Originally Posted by ClothSeats View Post
      In after Ryukein seal of approval.

Vehicles
      2003 Golf TDI
      04-15-2013 05:04 PM #18
      He probably bought 1 to store and another to drive.

19. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2013 VW GTI 2DR DBM
      04-15-2013 05:05 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by Ryukein View Post

I wonder if this is also the only yellow one? I've never seen another
      unless a crane moved it, it doesn't appear to be

20. 04-15-2013 05:05 PM #20
      Assuming a few things - $1M purchase price, 15 year time span...you get the following:

If it sells for $5M: 400% ROI total, 26.6% annual ROI.
      If it sells for $6M: 500% ROI total, 33.3% annual ROI.

I'd still say that's a pretty good number, but what do I know.

04-15-2013 05:06 PM #21
      unless a crane moved it, it doesn't appear to be
      Hehe I guess it isn't the only one. Still, a rare color for the F1!

22. 04-15-2013 05:16 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by gsprobe View Post
      0 miles. Not even 1? Seems odd, even for a supercar.

I have seen millions of brand new cars- but they all had at least 2-3 miles on the odometer. Usually a vehicle is at least started and driven a mile or 2 for testing at plant?
      There are those here who know everything there is to know about McLaren's, so they can answer for sure, but I think the engine was broken in at the factory.

Vehicles
      '09 MINI Cooper S; '03 MR2 Spyder; '03 Focus ZX3
      04-16-2013 04:34 AM #23
      The story isn't quite true as it has been presented, but it has gone viral now as the 'zero mile F1' and there seems to be no stopping it except for a few bright spots of common sense where we see people questioning that.

In reality this car has about 300 kms on the odometer. At the time of delivery all F1s were given an extensive shakedown run of more than 100 miles. The cars are given a check ride each time they are serviced. This car was last serviced in June 2010 and would have been driven by the McLaren technician at that point. Perhaps in the case of car like this one that driving would be more limited, but I can assure you it has not been stationary for 17 years as these articles claim and there are no zero-mile F1s in the world.

This car is not really news for those of us who keep track of the F1s. I've known of its existence for nearly 10 years. News of it coming to market is actually 6 weeks old now. The initial article that was written by Daily Auto Fix credits the sales page on the Japanese dealer's website as a source, using a rough online translation. It appears they made no effort to do any other independent research on the car or contact the dealer directly for a story before going to print and now at least 2 other sources (GTSpirit and Yahoo Autos) have parroted what was written without doing any research of their own. The headline has certainly gotten people's attention - that's what headlines are designed to do. I fully expect with all the attention the article has received today that we'll see it appear on Jalopnik, AutoBlog, CarBuzz, WorldCarFans and several others by tomorrow. It's a bit frustrating, but I've gotten used to seeing this over and over and it gives me very little faith in any of these "news sources".

To finish the story of this car it is chassis #060 and has been in Japan since new. It has been kept in climate controlled storage, has been started frequently to cycle the fluids and as mentioned has also been serviced. That means it is hardly a basket case some might expect and should command a top market price if the right buyer is interested.

The other yellow F1 pictured above is chassis #014, which has been here in the USA since 2003. It was sold by RM Auctions in August 2006 and the following year the owner sent it back to the factory for a complete refit including white paint, black wheels and fitment of the High Downforce Kit. These two cars were the only F1s painted yellow from new.

>8^)
      ER

Vehicles
      i like them unique
      04-16-2013 04:46 AM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by Peloton25 View Post
      The story isn't quite true as it has been presented, but it has gone viral now as the 'zero mile F1' and there seems to be no stopping it except for a few bright spots of common sense where we see people questioning that.

In reality this car has about 300 kms on the odometer. At the time of delivery all F1s were given an extensive shakedown run of more than 100 miles. The cars are given a check ride each time they are serviced. This car was last serviced in June 2010 and would have been driven by the McLaren technician at that point. Perhaps in the case of car like this one that driving would be more limited, but I can assure you it has not been stationary for 17 years as these articles claim and there are no zero-mile F1s in the world.

This car is not really news for those of us who keep track of the F1s. I've known of its existence for nearly 10 years. News of it coming to market is actually 6 weeks old now. The initial article that was written by Daily Auto Fix credits the sales page on the Japanese dealer's website as a source, using a rough online translation. It appears they made no effort to do any other independent research on the car or contact the dealer directly for a story before going to print and now at least 2 other sources (GTSpirit and Yahoo Autos) have parroted what was written without doing any research of their own. The headline has certainly gotten people's attention - that's what headlines are designed to do. I fully expect with all the attention the article has received today that we'll see it appear on Jalopnik, AutoBlog, CarBuzz, WorldCarFans and several others by tomorrow. It's a bit frustrating, but I've gotten used to seeing this over and over and it gives me very little faith in any of these "news sources".

To finish the story of this car it is chassis #060 and has been in Japan since new. It has been kept in climate controlled storage, has been started frequently to cycle the fluids and as mentioned has also been serviced. That means it is hardly a basket case some might expect and should command a top market price if the right buyer is interested.

The other yellow F1 pictured above is chassis #014, which has been here in the USA since 2003. It was sold by RM Auctions in August 2006 and the following year the owner sent it back to the factory for a complete refit including white paint, black wheels and fitment of the High Downforce Kit. These two cars were the only F1s painted yellow from new.

>8^)
      ER
      Thanks for this info, I don't know why Mclaren did not hire you yet

Vehicles
      Caterham 7 Superlight R
      04-16-2013 04:57 AM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by GTIVR6MK4 View Post
      Thanks for this info, I don't know why Mclaren did not hire you yet
      Because the restraining order against him hasn't expired yet....

Vehicles
      '02 VW Golf GTI
      04-16-2013 05:33 AM #26
      The other yellow F1 pictured above is chassis #014, which has been here in the USA since 2003.
      Peloton, your knowledge of McLarens never fails to amaze me. Can you tell us where #014 was originally sold?

Vehicles
      04-16-2013 05:48 AM #27
      Chassis #014 originally went to Brunei. I am not certain of the circumstances that allowed it to escape, but it ended up for sale in the UK in 2002 at the specialty dealer Taylor & Crawley, which is run by the man who was the original Sales Director for McLaren Cars when the F1s were being produced. It then came to the USA where it stayed with one collector until late 2005, then sat inside a dealer in Silicon Valley for about 8 months before heading to the auction in Monterey. It has been with the same owners since then.

>8^)
      ER

Vehicles
      08 .:R32 #3030
      04-16-2013 06:35 AM #28
      Chassis #014 originally went to Brunei. I am not certain of the circumstances that allowed it to escape, but it ended up for sale in the UK in 2002 at the specialty dealer Taylor & Crawley, which is run by the man who was the original Sales Director for McLaren Cars when the F1s were being produced. It then came to the USA where it stayed with one collector until late 2005, then sat inside a dealer in Silicon Valley for about 8 months before heading to the auction in Monterey. It has been with the same owners since then.

>8^)
      ER
      Dude! You are good!
      BTW Mclaren called the new restraining order is out!
      Thanks for your valuable input!

Vehicles
      1995 M3, 1999 740i "Short" Sport, 2000 Ducati 748
      04-16-2013 07:10 AM #29
      Peloton25 is a god.....

I knew deep down when I made this thread something seemed odd...the source is hardly a reputable one and it's pretty fishy that a car wouldn't have delivery miles at the very least
      Quote Originally Posted by Das Borgen
      VR6s should sound like Chewbacca getting raped
      Dazzle Surprise - Team My Little Pony

Vehicles
      05 Tin Can
      04-16-2013 07:31 AM #30

>8^)
      ER
      So unrelated to the OP's car in question, this guy paints the only other yellow F1?!
      Turn down for what?

Vehicles
      04-16-2013 07:33 AM #31
      Just a normal human really, but thanks.

As for the jokes of a restraining order, I am actually pleased to say that the lines of communication with McLaren have never been more clear. Some very good people on the inside there who do appreciate the attention I have given to these cars for many years. As for future employment - there's always a chance.

>8^)
      ER

Vehicles
      04-16-2013 07:41 AM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by SoLo2pointO View Post
      So unrelated to the OP's car in question, this guy paints the only other yellow F1?!
      There's really no negative here - if someone wants #014 to be yellow again the factory can certainly accommodate that request. They'll also paint any other car yellow - there's really no rules on this. Also contrary to what is typical in the world of collector cars there seems to be no negative stigma associated with an F1 being redone at the request of a new owner. With the factory doing the work - and doing it to the original quality levels there's really no downside. While I'd prefer the cars be kept in their original form I must say that some of the more interesting cars are the ones that have been redone.

The only real shame is there are a few instances where evidence of a car in its original form does not currently exist in the public domain. Probably the most disappointing example of this is chassis #023 which was originally finished in British Racing Green - the only F1 painted that color. Of course there are many different hues that are given that description, so I remain very curious to know exactly what it looked like when new. Hopefully someday that evidence will materialize.

Back to #014 - I saw it in person at the auction in 2006 and there were various areas on the car in need of serious paint correction, likely from its time in the fairly harsh climate of Brunei. Something had to be done with the car and I quite like the results of what the new owner chose. It is one of the more striking F1s in the world now.

Photo by Teresa-H Photography in Monterey last August.

>8^)
      ER
      Last edited by Peloton25; 04-16-2013 at 07:44 AM.

04-16-2013 07:44 AM #33
      There's really no negative here - if someone wants #014 to be yellow again the factory can certainly accommodate that request. They'll also paint any other car yellow - there's really no rules on this. Also contrary to what is typical in the world of collector cars there seems to be no negative stigma associated with an F1 being redone at the request of a new owner. With the factory doing the work - and doing it to the original quality levels there's really no downside. While I'd prefer the cars be kept in their original form I must say that some of the more interesting cars are the ones that have been redone.

The only real shame is there are a few instances where evidence of a car in its original form does not currently exist in the public domain. Probably the most disappointing example of this is chassis #023 which was originally finished in British Racing Green - the only F1 painted that color. Of course there are many different hues that are given that description, so I remain very curious to know exactly what it looked like when new. Hopefully someday that evidence will materialize.

>8^)
      ER
      Very interesting! Now reading about F1s being repainted fairly often makes more sense to me

Vehicles
      08 Elantra, 12 Focus
      04-16-2013 07:51 AM #34
      Just a normal human really, but thanks.

As for the jokes of a restraining order, I am actually pleased to say that the lines of communication with McLaren have never been more clear. Some very good people on the inside there who do appreciate the attention I have given to these cars for many years. As for future employment - there's always a chance.

>8^)
      ER
      every great marquee needs a historian I'll sign the petition to suggest they hire you!
      Quote Originally Posted by Jesus is my pilot View Post
      Pro-abortionists are so rabid for the killing of babies they are willing to sacrifice the health and safety of women to make sure they continue.
      Quote Originally Posted by koidragon1980 View Post
      If Jesus is your pilot, then irony is your vehicle.

Vehicles
      2014 VW Passat TSI 2013 VW Golf TDI
      04-16-2013 08:32 AM #35
      The alternative would've been for him to invest it in the Nikkei stock exchange which is down 40% since 1994. Or buy 1 million Powerball tickets like the author probably would've.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast