Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2012 GLI manual transmission failed

1. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 GLI Autobahn
      04-16-2013 08:57 PM #1
      So, on my way home from work today, with 11k miles, it suddenly because very difficult to get the car into or out of gear. I drove straight to the dealer. Once in gear, there was no problem- no slipping, etc. It seemed like the clutch wasn't fully engaging when the pedal was depressed. Dealer concluded that the issue was internal, so they are now taking out the transmission. Anyone else have a clutch mechanism failure on a 6 spd manual? Doesn't seem to be a common problem.
      '12 GLI Autobahn

Vehicles
      2012 Jetta GLI, 06 Kawasaki z750s
      04-16-2013 09:03 PM #2
      My clutch is being replaced as we speak with a South Bend stage 3 clutch disc for this very reason. I assumed it was because of my APR stage 1 tune + my a-hole driving. Strange. I was also thinking that this isn't a common problem since I hadn't really seen a post about it before.
      Don't feed the trolls...

'12 GLI APR II

Vehicles
      2013 MKVI GLI, 2012 C300 AMG sport pack
      04-16-2013 09:25 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by beanpoppa View Post
      So, on my way home from work today, with 11k miles, it suddenly because very difficult to get the car into or out of gear. I drove straight to the dealer. Once in gear, there was no problem- no slipping, etc. It seemed like the clutch wasn't fully engaging when the pedal was depressed. Dealer concluded that the issue was internal, so they are now taking out the transmission. Anyone else have a clutch mechanism failure on a 6 spd manual? Doesn't seem to be a common problem.
      Same here..it feels weird shifting into gears especially noticeable when pushing the car...i thought it was related to my oem short shifter...

4. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 GLI Autobahn
      04-16-2013 10:15 PM #4
      I'm completely stock, and generally take it easy. The issue did start after a spirited launch from a stop-light, but certainly nothing extreme. What part of the clutch going out caused you to replace it? I was figuring something in the linkage or fork mechanism is bent, or maybe the hydraulics. Can't see the clutch going bad so early the way that I drive, but I don't know the mechanics of the pressure plate and flywheel well enough.
      '12 GLI Autobahn

Vehicles
      '13 PG GLI MT
      04-16-2013 10:29 PM #5
      I don't know if I'm letting the clutch out a lil too fast or if the sound has always been there, but during low speeds at 1st/2nd gear, I can sometimes hear a "clack" when the clutch comes in contact with the flywheel (it kinda goes away when i'm slower/lighter on the clutch depress). I can also hear some noise/clackiness when the knob goes from 1st to 2nd and sometimes 2nd to 3rd. Is something coming loose in or around my clutch? OP did you ever experience these symptoms leading up to the trans failure?
      APR Stage 1 | Carbonio CAI Stage 1

6. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 GLI Autobahn
      04-16-2013 10:38 PM #6
      Absolutely no symptoms until it happened. Even the shift into first at the stop-light was uneventful, but the shift into 2nd or 3rd (not sure which) as I was accelerating was suddenly very difficult, and each shift was from that point on. I could manage a little better with double clutching and rev matching, but it was never easy all the way to the dealer. Sitting at a stop light in 2nd gear and the clutch engaged (I kept in 2nd all the way from the highway exit to the dealer to minimize any wear on the synchros) the idle was a little low and rough- possibly because the plate was making contact with the flywheel) and when I was in the parking lot at the dealer, I put the car in reverse, and started it again, and it would creep a little with the clutch engaged. No problem shifting gears with the car off.
      '12 GLI Autobahn

7. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 GLI Autobahn
      04-17-2013 05:36 PM #7
      First off, big props to Gensinger VW in Clifton, NJ. I called them from the road yesterday when the hard-shifting started asking if I could bring it straight in rather than stopping, and not being able to get it into gear again. They said no problem, and quickly got me a loaner Passat. They got to work on it right away, and by 2pm today, my car was ready for me to pick it up.

According to them, the root cause was the slave cylinder failed, and on the GLI, the slave cylinder is inside the transmission connected to the throwout bearing. The combined failure of the throwout bearing and slave cylinder also caused damage to the pressure plate and clutch plate. They replaced all four parts, and I'm not having any problem shifting. One thing I did notice, however, is the clutch is much stiffer. Not sure if this is because it's brand new (not that 11k miles should have been much wear on the old one) or if the slave cylinder has been failing for a while.
      '12 GLI Autobahn

Vehicles
      2012 VW GLI DSG/ Tornado Red 2002 BMW 530I Sport
      04-17-2013 05:40 PM #8
      I love manuals and had it them for years. I'm just super glad i got a DSG in this car, you manual guys are having so many problems.
      2012 GLI DSG- Neuspeed P-flow intake- H&R sport- BSH Torque Mount Insert- USP Traction Switch
      14.40@96.19

Vehicles
      2013 Platinum Gray Jetta GLI Autobahn 6MT
      04-17-2013 06:08 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by mattng06 View Post
      I love manuals and had it them for years. I'm just super glad i got a DSG in this car, you manual guys are having so many problems.
      Problems will arise with anything mechanical. I'm sure there are some issues reported with DSG transmission. It's not a normal thing for a slave to fail so early. I had a master and slave fail on manual Hyundai at 75k miles, I thought that was early at the time. Had them both replaced for $1k at a local shop. I can't imagine any automatic transmission work to be less than $1k.

So far the main issue I have read with the 6MT is the clutch doesn't provide enough pressure once you start modifying the car with ECU tunes and whatnot. Haven't read about clutches slipping on cars that are not modified yet.

10. 04-17-2013 06:19 PM #10
      15K miles with APR Stage I. No problems with my manual.
      Sorry to hear about your prob's though.

11. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 GLI Autobahn
      04-17-2013 06:24 PM #11
      Exactly. This does appear to be an unusual incident. Usually, when something goes wrong on my car, I can always find reports of similar issues on the Internet. I found nothing similar in my searches. When I was researching whether to get the DSG or not, I did find plenty of DSG failure complaints. Not to mention, if the DSG does fail, it's going to cost a lot more.

Until I see evidence otherwise, I will chalk this up to a faulty part, and the dealer/VW made good by quickly replacing all parts affected.

Quote Originally Posted by pmo View Post
      Problems will arise with anything mechanical. I'm sure there are some issues reported with DSG transmission. It's not a normal thing for a slave to fail so early. I had a master and slave fail on manual Hyundai at 75k miles, I thought that was early at the time. Had them both replaced for $1k at a local shop. I can't imagine any automatic transmission work to be less than $1k.

So far the main issue I have read with the 6MT is the clutch doesn't provide enough pressure once you start modifying the car with ECU tunes and whatnot. Haven't read about clutches slipping on cars that are not modified yet.
      '12 GLI Autobahn

Vehicles
      04-17-2013 06:42 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by pmo View Post

Of course there's always going to be issues with DSG, but i haven't seen as many reports of failed ones compared to the manual with the MKVI GLI. I feel like VW has been getting their **** together with these new DSG's.
      2012 GLI DSG- Neuspeed P-flow intake- H&R sport- BSH Torque Mount Insert- USP Traction Switch
      14.40@96.19

13. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 GLI Autobahn
      04-18-2013 01:53 AM #13
      Exactly. This does appear to be an unusual incident. Usually, when something goes wrong on my car, I can always find reports of similar issues on the Internet. I found nothing similar in my searches. When I was researching whether to get the DSG or not, I did find plenty of DSG failure complaints. Not to mention, if the DSG does fail, it's going to cost a lot more.

Until I see evidence otherwise, I will chalk this up to a faulty part, and the dealer/VW made good by quickly replacing all parts affected.
      I believe I am experiencing the same issues as you. My car is almost 15 months old with only 8000 miles. Just started to occur yesterday. Thanks for posting your experience.
      2012 Candy White GLI Autobahn 6spd
      ModShack VTDA Intake, APR Stage 1 ECU, S3 Short Shifter, Magnaflow Catback, GFB DV+

14. Member
      Vehicles
      '13 GLI Autobahn
      04-18-2013 02:11 AM #14
      Of course there's always going to be issues with DSG, but i haven't seen as many reports of failed ones compared to the manual with the MKVI GLI. I feel like VW has been getting their **** together with these new DSG's.
      Most definitely. Anecdotally, they seem to have far fewer problems. You'd expect the opposite, but it really is an impressive piece of engineering.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 Jetta GLI DSG
      04-18-2013 11:34 AM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by erick295 View Post
      Most definitely. Anecdotally, they seem to have far fewer problems. You'd expect the opposite, but it really is an impressive piece of engineering.
      And if you are concerned, there's always warranty (or extended warranty). And then what I'm doing: Putting a small bit of money away every month for the eventual (expensive) clutchpack replacement. (In addition to what I'm putting away to pay for tires/etc.)
      Last edited by araemo; 04-18-2013 at 11:37 AM.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      '13 GLI Autobahn
      04-18-2013 01:56 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by araemo View Post
      And if you are concerned, there's always warranty (or extended warranty). And then what I'm doing: Putting a small bit of money away every month for the eventual (expensive) clutchpack replacement. (In addition to what I'm putting away to pay for tires/etc.)
      Theoretically the clutches aren't wear items since they're wet. The chances of you having to replace them are probably pretty low.

Vehicles
      04-18-2013 02:07 PM #17
      Theoretically the clutches aren't wear items since they're wet. The chances of you having to replace them are probably pretty low.
      Lets hope so.. Im not going to get a tune ever, so i should be fine as long as i keep up on the DSG maintenance. Knock on wood!!
      14.40@96.19

18. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 Jetta GLI DSG
      04-18-2013 05:10 PM #18
      That isn't what I was finding in my pre-purchase investigation, and reading technical info about the DSG seems to back that up - the mechatronics adapts to the amount of slip you're getting, but it'll only adapt so much, and when you hit that point and get more slip, it (the clutchpack) needs to be replaced.

That's a high-mileage item, definitely, but I kept my previous car 145k miles, so it's a realistic concern.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 STI (Ice Silver Metallic)
      06-28-2013 02:31 PM #19

I know this post is old, but I am experiencing the same issue with the same symptoms. This happened to me suddenly after I accelerated out of first quickly to merge onto oncoming traffic. I am at 22k miles, 6-spd, '12 model, and the dealer mentions they have seen this on others with the same year.

They were trying to tell me that warranty will not cover it and they will have to see once they get inside the transmission.
      Last edited by sh{}e; 06-28-2013 at 02:39 PM.

20. Member
      Vehicles
      13.5 VW GLI DSG w/Nav
      06-28-2013 06:10 PM #20
      For what it's worth... Sounds identical to what happened to me. It ended up being a shattered pressure plate.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...tch-Issues-GLI

Vehicles
      mk3 golf(sold),mk3 vr6 Gti(sold),mk3 vr6 Jetta(sold)mk6 GLI
      06-28-2013 08:18 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by sh{}e View Post
      I know this post is old, but I am experiencing the same issue with the same symptoms. This happened to me suddenly after I accelerated out of first quickly to merge onto oncoming traffic. I am at 22k miles, 6-spd, '12 model, and the dealer mentions they have seen this on others with the same year.

They were trying to tell me that warranty will not cover it and they will have to see once they get inside the transmission.
      tell them to **** off. this is becoming a common issue. only thing that is not covered under warranty in your transmission is your clutch disk, which should not be the problem. this is mechanical issue in the transmission. call vwoa and let them know about your issue.
      BROWARD COUNTY

Vehicles
      mk3 golf(sold),mk3 vr6 Gti(sold),mk3 vr6 Jetta(sold)mk6 GLI
      06-28-2013 08:20 PM #22
      According to them, the root cause was the slave cylinder failed, and on the GLI, the slave cylinder is inside the transmission connected to the throwout bearing. The combined failure of the throwout bearing and slave cylinder also caused damage to the pressure plate and clutch plate. They replaced all four parts, and I'm not having any problem shifting. One thing I did notice, however, is the clutch is much stiffer. Not sure if this is because it's brand new (not that 11k miles should have been much wear on the old one) or if the slave cylinder has been failing for a while.

Same thing I noticed
      BROWARD COUNTY

23. Member
      Vehicles
      A large pumpkin with a screaming princess inside
      06-28-2013 11:24 PM #23
      Someone else posted on here recently that their clutch failed on them around 17k. I'm curious if he was having the same issue and just drove it a bit too long. I've recently noticed a pulsing in my clutch pedal or maybe it is better described as a rhythmic vibration...

Vehicles
      2012 4dr Base Rising Blue Golf R
      05-15-2014 04:50 PM #24
      May 2014 and 13,812 miles on our 2012 GLI and ours is at VW right now getting the upgraded stronger clutch kit (thankfully plenty of warranty left and this is 100% covered under warranty on our 100% stock GLI)

Our story is much like the OP. A normal drive home from work... at a stoplight and suddenly it just wouldn't go into gear when the light turned green... My husband was able to barely get it into 2nd and then while rolling was able to get into 3rd and was able to nurse it over to our local VW dealer less than a mile away. Its getting the updated clutch installed as I type this and hopefully will be ready to pick up tomorrow so we have the car back before the weekend!

EDIT: I was told ours was a shattered pressure plate as well FWIW
      Last edited by goforit2007; 05-15-2014 at 05:01 PM.
      -2012 Rising Blue Base 4dr 2012 R (current daily driver!)

-1995 Spec Miata
      -1994 Sentra SE-R (PTE track beast in-the-works)
      -1995 Infiniti G20 (NASA PTF/TTF track rat) and 2012 NASA Nationals PTF Champion!

Vehicles
      BAGGED 2012 TR BASE GLI
      05-15-2014 05:13 PM #25
      My shop has replaced two clutches with both bad pressure plates on a TSI Beetle and a stock 2012 GLI. This is the weak point of these transmissions by far. The flywheel itself can take 300whp+ no problem but the clutch/pressure plate is very weak for even stock power levels. Needless to say i am stage 2 GIAC w/ full bolt ons and i just did a stage 2 daily southbend clutch in april and it was well worth it stock or not. Food for thought for those wondering what is the trouble with these manual gearboxes as far as the clutches go

26. Member
      Vehicles
      2014 Jetta Highline
      05-15-2014 07:15 PM #26
      no generalization there!

Vehicles
      06-28-2014 04:46 PM #27
      so far so good with our warranty replacement

-1995 Spec Miata
      -1995 Infiniti G20 (NASA PTF/TTF track rat) and 2012 NASA Nationals PTF Champion!

28. n00b
      Vehicles
      2012 vw gli. 2004 vw jetta tdi
      07-07-2014 11:45 PM #28
      Same here, at 46500 km something happened. My wife couldn't shift into reverse and barely slide in first. My 12 Gli was towed to a dealership a 100 km from our house. Same baloney everyone else has posted. "It's the clutch". "It will cost $1100 cdn to replace. "Yada yada". I discussed with the service advisor that it seems a little early for a clutch, maybe you should take another look. Long story short, I didn't get and update at 530pm, like I was supposed to. So I guess I will figure out soon, what it actually is going on.

29. 07-08-2014 12:28 AM #29
      This just happened to my buddy's 13 gti, he had 17k on the car and only put 7k on himself, car has bumper to bumper but this clutch thing is BS. They took 500$ off the repair but he still footed around $1000. He's stock and doesn't drive like an as$, this scares the crap out of me because I've had some fishy stuff happen when shifting my gli and I just kinda shook it off. Is this just happening in 6 spd? Or are the other models having this problem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      07-08-2014 09:48 AM #30
      You guys need to call VW Customer Service and point out how this is clearly a known issue of pressure plates shattering so how in the world is a factory defect (flaw, weakness-- whatever you want to call it) suddenly the responsibility of the owner to pay for VWs mistake? If we would have had to pay for ours, I would never buy a VW again to be honest I'd be so livid!

-1995 Spec Miata

Vehicles
      '14 GLI 30th 6spdm
      07-08-2014 10:17 AM #31
      Im going to be buying a new 2014 GLI in the next few days. Is there anything I can or should say to them about this issue to cover my butt down the road?

32. Member
      Vehicles
      2014 Jetta Highline
      07-08-2014 11:33 AM #32
      And alot more expensive should something go wrong!

33. Member
      Vehicles
      2014 Jetta Highline
      07-08-2014 11:35 AM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by Tharvey20 View Post
      This just happened to my buddy's 13 gti, he had 17k on the car and only put 7k on himself, car has bumper to bumper but this clutch thing is BS. They took 500$ off the repair but he still footed around $1000. He's stock and doesn't drive like an as$, this scares the crap out of me because I've had some fishy stuff happen when shifting my gli and I just kinda shook it off. Is this just happening in 6 spd? Or are the other models having this problem?

Bumper to Bumper?...Stock?...Should be fully warranted!

Vehicles
      14 GLI, 13 Passat TDI SEL, 90 Jetta Coupe, 70 Datsun 521
      07-08-2014 08:38 PM #34
      clutch is a wear item kind of like your brakes. 12mo/12k miles. Now if something else causes the failure then they will cover it. Often they will claim the slave cyl or t/o bearing caused the failure.
      Quote Originally Posted by 89-digi-jetta View Post
      ya obviouslyn a2lowvw is a douche!!! but of course douches l,ike him hill the scene right

35. 07-08-2014 08:53 PM #35
      I don't know the details but it was a CPO and previously a lease from a vw employee so I'm sure who ever had it before just beat the piss out of it because my buddy drives Farley conservatively, mine was also previously leased by a vw employee so it sorta perked my ears up too, I told him that he should write into VWoA about it because that's ridiculous when you haven't even taken it in for its first service yet as an owner. Tech said that there were no recorded over revs or any other sign of hard driving it just failed for whatever reason. Not sure if they ever did tear it apart to get a look at what exactly had broken but He said he'd never seen a clutch fail that quickly before, which doesn't really make the pain go away haha

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast